1%
  • Hot Hand 2 votes
  • Lectronamo 3 votes
    1%
  • Stingray 4 votes
    1%
  • Magic 4 votes
    1%

(Multiple choice - 423 votes by 196 Pinsiders)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Screen Shot 2020-02-11 at 5.12.44 PM (resized).png
86377015_198743487984696_7518076020964982784_n (resized).jpg
Screenshot_20200201-152809 (resized).png

There are 83 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
#51 6 months ago

Meteor
Quicksilver
Galaxy

#52 6 months ago

I had a beat-up Stars back in the 90s and I got it going but it I found it blah and parted it out. Playfield is still in the garage and it’s helped me fix plenty of other games. Maybe I was missing something regarding the play but it just didn’t grab me, every one likes something different. And I wasn't nearly as wise or patient with a game back then.
But have kept my Lightning about the same timeframe, I like the rules with the drop targets’ specials/extra ball shots, the spinner which can be worth up to 4000 points, the extra 30 seconds timer, the goofy Norse god speech calls. The multiball is flawed but isn't the funnest part anyway. I find it rather exciting when you really get things racked up & rolling. But even fixed up well it’s got that latent Chicago Coin mechanical clunkiness vs. the Big Three, Stars did too.
I love F2K and Meteor but I haven't played the more obscure ones.

#53 6 months ago

Big Game

Catacomb

#54 6 months ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

If you have space they are great for playing wasted by yourself at night.

Yep. I'd like to get a Meteor again. When a high quality example comes up that's the one I'll rebuy.

#55 6 months ago

All these Stern titles were considered crap in the the 90's. All were $200-500 a piece. Great run.

#56 6 months ago
Quoted from jj44114:

All these Stern titles were considered crap in the the 90's. All were $200-500 a piece. Great run.

My OP friend bought a Meteor at a pin auction in the 90s. He gave $5.00 for it and parted it out. The boards were bad and Alltek did not start making its MPU replacement until 2002 is what he told me.

#57 6 months ago
Quoted from jj44114:

All these Stern titles were considered crap in the the 90's.

And the 2000s

#58 6 months ago

Stars and Seawitch have always been my favorite. Can’t comment on big game even though I’ve had one for about 6 months now. Still have to get it rebuilt.

1 week later
#59 5 months ago
Quoted from TreyBo69:

Out of the classic Sterns I've played, in descending order
Stars - I think it's pure pinball and elegantly simple
Meteor - Best spinner rip game?
Cheetah - if it wasn't for the art and the stock software with unlimited bonus collects, I think this would be way more in demand. So many good shots.
Flight 2000 - I love the spinner rule, the 3 bank drops, and giant bonus x to build up. Dinged for how much space the multiball takes up
Big Game - Weirdly addicting
Seawitch - I didn't love this as much as others (I really like The Beatles though)
Free Fall - Love the art and goofy angles
Magic - Meh
Lightning - Super meh
Really want to play an Ali and a Quicksilver. I'd like to see what sort of minor improvements they could make to Quicksilver like Seawitch and The Beatles.

I've played a few more classic Sterns since then. New ranking

Stars - it's perfect
Meteor - almost perfect
Star Gazer - beautiful and interesting
Cheetah - ugly but very interesting
Dragonfist - one of the most unique geometries
Quicksilver - solid
Flight 2000 - still love the spinner to drops shot
Big Game - it's good
Seawitch - it's ok, the Beatles really improved on the layout
Free Fall - it looks great
Nine Ball - it has a few nice things going for it, but meh
Catacomb - it looks like a giant piece of toast on the playfield. Game generally feels more luck than skill
Lightning - more going on than I first realized, but meh
Magic - meh

#60 5 months ago
Quoted from TreyBo69:

Stars - it's perfect
Meteor - almost perfect
Quicksilver - solid (Beatles plays so much better!)
Big Game - it's good
Catacomb - it looks like a giant piece of toast on the playfield. Game generally feels more luck than skill
Magic - meh

You mentioned that Beatles is better than Quicksilver. Beatles is a reworked Sea Witch, not a reworked Quicksilver. I agree that Beatles is better than Seawitch, but Quicksilver is the best playing classic Stern.

#61 5 months ago
Quoted from bluespin:

You mentioned that Beatles is better than Quicksilver. Beatles is a reworked Sea Witch, not a reworked Quicksilver. I agree that Beatles is better than Seawitch, but Quicksilver is the best playing classic Stern.

Thanks, brain fart. Fixed it.

#62 5 months ago
Quoted from TreyBo69:

Thanks, brain fart. Fixed it.

Happens to all of us. Have you played Quicksilver? How would you rank it?

#63 5 months ago
Quoted from bluespin:

Happens to all of us. Have you played Quicksilver? How would you rank it?

Yes I have. I wasn't crazy for it but it's pretty good. I think I had higher expectations for it going in because of how hyped it is. I like the left hand drop target bank, spinner rules, and bonus advance. But I didn't care for the way it looked or how most of the rest of the playfield was laid out. There are a few other games I much prefer. Out of the 14 I've played, it's number 6.

#64 5 months ago
Quoted from TreyBo69:

Yes I have. I wasn't crazy for it but it's pretty good. I think I had higher expectations for it going in because of how hyped it is. I like the left hand drop target bank, spinner rules, and bonus advance. But I didn't care for the way it looked or how most of the rest of the playfield was laid out. There are a few other games I much prefer. Out of the 14 I've played, it's number 6.

Did you ever activate the siren; spell Quicksilver on one ball and have 5x bonus lit?

#65 5 months ago
Quoted from TreyBo69:

Yes I have. I wasn't crazy for it but it's pretty good. I think I had higher expectations for it going in because of how hyped it is.

I think this is the big problem with QS.

#66 5 months ago
Quoted from bluespin:

Did you ever activate the siren; spell Quicksilver on one ball and have 5x bonus lit?

I don't recall the siren, but I got one near max bonus count down. Felt great! I love games with giant bonus countdowns, and Quicksilver has an absurdly big one.

#67 5 months ago

I can't imagine a classic Stern being any better than Flight 2000. I'm new to the hobby, but own a Flight 2000. There is so much to do, drop targets, 2 spinners, neat ball lock/launcher, 3-ball multi-ball, controlled light switches. The game can play pretty fast if you get the pop bumpers and sling shots working well.

If there are classic Stern machines better than Flight 2000, then I need to play them and add at least another one to my collection! I'll be on the lookout for buying opportunities for sure.

#68 5 months ago
Quoted from DanMarino:

If there are classic Stern machines better than Flight 2000, then I need to play them and add at least another one to my collection! ...

You're in for a treat, there are plenty!

#69 5 months ago
Quoted from TreyBo69:

Stars - it's perfect
Meteor - almost perfect
Quicksilver - solid
Big Game - it's good
Seawitch - it's ok, the Beatles really improved on the layout
Magic - meh

Decent opinions except Nine Ball - it's one of the best.

#70 5 months ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

You're in for a treat, there are plenty!

I'm not impressed with F2K. Big Game and Cheetah are far better for widebodies...but it isn't as bad as the Williams wide bodies.

#71 5 months ago

I love classic Sterns & played many of them, but I have never played a Quicksilver. And after dissecting gameplay videos & discussing with friends, this much is clear...

It's a beautiful work of art. It plays fast & hard. It has some of the best early SS sounds. It has two great spinner rips for huge points, butter sweepable banks, big playfield multipliers, and the best max bonus countdown in pinball. It's really the total package when it comes to early 80's SS pins.

QS just looks so awesome to me, and the fact that they're so hard to find, that I decided to just scratch build one myself. Won't be long until I'm flipping QS & hearing the siren

#72 5 months ago
Quoted from Methos:

Decent opinions except Nine Ball - it's one of the best.

Well the one I played was kinda janky. The only thing that I really liked was the spinner rule. Oh and the art is very nice. (I'm a sucker for spacey themes)

#73 5 months ago
Quoted from Methos:

I'm not impressed with F2K.

I'd take Gamatron every time

#74 5 months ago

Like HoakyPoaky I'd never played Quicksilver before I decided to build one up. Honestly, the first few nights after I finally got it flipping, I was like "huh, this is alright, but was it worth all this damn work?" A week, some tweaking, and about 100+ plays later I was convinced: yes, it was!

#75 5 months ago
Quoted from play_pinball:

Like HoakyPoaky I'd never played Quicksilver before I decided to build one up. Honestly, the first few nights after I finally got it flipping, I was like "huh, this is alright, but was it worth all this damn work?" A week, some tweaking, and about 100+ plays later I was convinced: yes, it was!

When it's dialed in and the PF is smooth, it's simply the best. I've played some beaters and I was like "eh".

2 months later
#76 88 days ago

Why no love for Flight 2000? Mine is lots of fun. Plenty to do on it. Achieving multi-ball, 2 nice spinners, 8 drop targets, 8 roll overs. It’s challenging and fun for sure.

#77 87 days ago
Quoted from DanMarino:

Why no love for Flight 2000? Mine is lots of fun. Plenty to do on it. Achieving multi-ball, 2 nice spinners, 8 drop targets, 8 roll overs. It’s challenging and fun for sure.

Great game, but I can understand the lack of love for it. It does tend to play a bit on the slow side, and you have to jump through a lot of hoops to get multiball. It also would have been nice if the bonus maxed out higher than 10k (not counting the multipliers).

Don't get me wrong, I like the game and played it a lot back in the days when it was new. It's also a much better game than anything Stern Electronics put out after it.

#78 87 days ago

Sounds like I need to play some other classic Stern machines. I'll keep a look out for them.

#79 87 days ago

I love Free Fall. People don't like it for the randomness of the whole pop bumper/ball lock thing. A few classic Sterns are similar. I like pinball exciting where there is skill involved to make shots, but then randomness and luck involved too as part of the game. I don't want to be a control freak and think the whole game is all up to me. Some of it me, some of it the game.... part of the fun of the game is the getting back ball control after the randomness of the pop bumper / locking layout. And again, like Catacomb and others, getting to ball into the lock is luck as it plays into the pop bumpers.

"I can't control every shot..... whaaaaaaaaah!" Snore...... zzzzzzzzzz...

#80 87 days ago
Quoted from DanMarino:

Sounds like I need to play some other classic Stern machines. I'll keep a look out for them.

The thing about these classic Sterns is that each one is so very different than the one that preceded it and the one that followed. You could own every one of them and not have similar playing pin.

Try that with several of the Bally's of the era. Aladdin's Castle, Harlem Globe Trotters, and Captain Fantastic all have the double flipper design. Yeah, the play fields are different, but Bally used several similar designs across the line. I'm not knocking these pins, not at all. But they are similar.

The Stern I care for the least is Lightning, but many like it.

#81 87 days ago

Meteor gets a ton of play from me.

#82 87 days ago

I like my Memory Lane , not listed here, two spinners , 4 chimes , bonus multipliers and definite death shots if you go for the easy strike . Played a lot of games on the list even Stars and they don't hold my attention as much as this game ....that's why it is still in my collection

#83 87 days ago
Quoted from the9gman:

I like my Memory Lane , not listed here, two spinners , 4 chimes , bonus multipliers and definite death shots if you go for the easy strike . Played a lot of games on the list even Stars and they don't hold my attention as much as this game ....that's why it is still in my collection

My Op friend has a Memory Lane on location. Someone wants to buy it from him; He won't sell. It is a tough, but rewarding pin to play. You have to be good. I like playing it.

There are 83 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside