Topic Stats

• 27 posts
  • 25 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by barakandl
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

#1 4 years ago

I'm enamored with the EM chimes... but no one here can help us with EMs and we have little tiny blocks of time to fix things- so we'd rather get a Chimed SS-

Please suggest!

Our current machines are- all Williams

Big Guns
Riverboat Gambler
Red and Ted's Roadshow

Williams not required it's just how it's worked out so far.

EX- SS version of Mata Hari (bally)

#2 4 years ago

joker poker.

#5 4 years ago

Strikes and Spares and Evel Knievel come to mind.

#6 4 years ago

Joker Poker. the Only System 1 still in my collection

#7 4 years ago

Joker Poker or Sinbad would do.

#8 4 years ago

I agree with fattdirk, Joker Poker is probably the best representation of an EM game turned Solid State. Certainly as far as "affordable" games goes (like you said, forget an EM EK or MH).

Of course, most Gottlieb System 1 games are nothing more than a glorified EM with SS guts. Gottlieb, due to the limitations of their original system, was very limited in what they could do as far as playfield features other than the mechanical devices they had already produced. They were certainly King of the Drop Target. By replacing the electronics either MPU, P/S or both with after market product like Niwumpf or Pl-1, you will get a very reliable fun playing game. And even the early Beep, Boop, Bop sound boards can be replaced with a traditional Chime unit.

Also, early WMS games probably fit about the same bill as far as feature light games. And there are even a few cross over games that can be found in both forms. Williams even used sounders in some of the early games. I remember seeing a score reel stepper unit in the bottom of a Hot Tip. http://www.ipdb.org/showpic.pl?id=3163&picno=6490 But by Contact, they had already gone to electronic sounds.

For Bally, you may have more choice of games that were the SS still had chimes. The early Bally boards are really very reliable as long as you avoid the acid damaged ones and do a bit of updating to the 35 year old components. So, perhaps a game like Night Riders, Freedom, Eight Ball, or Strikes and Spares, may work for you. But Power Play and MH are two of my favorites.

#9 4 years ago

Night Rider

#10 4 years ago

If its the sound of chimes you like, I think our Willaims Lucky 7 has the most beautiful chimes of any other machine we have up. We have an EK, MH and strikes and spares in the same room but the Lucky 7 beats them all.

#11 4 years ago

I love my classic Stern Stars. Very simple design and rule set yet very difficult to accomplish. Gret game with great chimes.

#12 4 years ago

For SS games I really like the Bally chimers. I've owned them and still have Eight Ball and Mata Hari. It is an impossible thing to say which is best. All fun games.

#13 4 years ago
Quoted from Xtraball:

I love my classic Stern Stars. Very simple design and rule set yet very difficult to accomplish. Gret game with great chimes.

100% agree. The stern chimes are not as good sounding as gottlieb, but the rules in stars keep this game solid.

#16 4 years ago
Quoted from John_I:

Joker Poker or Sinbad would do.

Yep. On my second Sinbad, and it's not leaving anytime soon.

#17 4 years ago
Quoted from DaveH:

For SS games I really like the Bally chimers. I've owned them and still have Eight Ball and Mata Hari. It is an impossible thing to say which is best. All fun games.

I also like the Bally chimers. I like how some of them play the "Call to the Post" on game start.

-Steve Ridge

#18 4 years ago

I'll throw in another vote for Joker Poker.
Super fun game and great competition when you have more than one player!

#19 4 years ago

Another vote for Stars!

#20 4 years ago

Mata Hari or Night Rider

Out of those two Night Rider is cheaper (and better) too!

#22 4 years ago

+1 for Strikes and Spares

#23 4 years ago

I don't think I'll ever get rid of my Stars. It is not only fun and challenging, but incredibly addictive.

"OK, one more game..."

#24 4 years ago

I might have needed a poll-

#25 4 years ago

No poll needed, just find a Stars machine and your done.

#26 4 years ago

We play our Williams Hot Tip all the time. Great chimes and even has a score reel in the bottom of the cabinet so it sounds and feels like a real EM as well.

#27 4 years ago

BALLY SS CHIME GAMES ARE KING. MH, S&S, BOPP, BJ, etc

ends all discussion right there.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 20.00
Electronics
Yorktown Parts and Equip
$ 22.00
Electronics
Yorktown Parts and Equip
$ 11.95
$ 25.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos
$ 104.00
$ 27.99
1,700 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Brooklyn, NY
Displays
PinballSolutions.eu
$ 29.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball
$ 62.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
Machine - For Sale
Harrisburg, PA
$ 85.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
$ 49.00
$ 21.99
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball-Mods.com
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Champaign, IL
$ 10.00
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball
3,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Washington Court House, OH
$ 21.00
$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
€ 40.00

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside