31%
  • Monster Bash 15 votes
    11%

(140 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20230620_184110 (resized).jpg

#1 1 year ago

I'll admit I'm kind of a Stern snob so I'm late to the party here but I gota say i have been blown at away at this Company so far I mean the attention to detail I wish I would've taken them seriously sooner i think i really missed the boat. Anyway in honor of CCr getting its ranking on the board I want to hear it and see the votes! Nothing off limit on how you interpret it. You can use how much they've improved OS/code improvements and interactive GI on the latest releases or the simplistic copy of a original MM back in 2015 as factors. Now they're all Lyman games so maybe it's just what's your favorite? So with that said who ya got?

#2 1 year ago

Cactus Canyon is the only one of the 4 remakes that the flippers feel authentic to the bally/Williams. Not a negative to the others but hey they just feel real good on CCR!

#3 1 year ago

I've played them all. The remake of AFM blows me away. It's like a completely different game versus the original. I mean, they all feel the way, but AFM is worlds better imo.

All are solid builds. CGC can makea quality product.

#4 1 year ago

I currently have 3 of the 4 - Moved AFM as it's very similar to MM in terms of shots, even though gameplay isn't.
That was still a hard choice but when you only have so much space you need to move things on when you get tired of them.

Anyways, CGC has steadily improved all aspects of their games over time. MM didn't have the extra things like larger color screens, speakers, etc but they started to upgrade that starting with AFM (and also did the Royal which upgraded much). Once MB hit they included dynamic RGB lighting in places including the scoops, better mylar placements etc.
With CC it's got everything MB does but also has excellent "cliffy-like" protectors just about everywhere you could want them.

Every one of their games is built rather well, probably the best out of all manufacturers - with screened playfields done like they used to for the most part. What you get for the price is unparalleled in my opinion but I love the 90s BW era pins so I'm biased.

With CCr , I can't wait for them to add a 3rd code option - the game is going to be really special once that's released.

TLDR - They are all great, it's going to come down to what game you like playing the best.

#5 1 year ago
Quoted from TeamUp:

Cactus Canyon is the only one of the 4 remakes that the flippers feel authentic to the bally/Williams. Not a negative to the others but hey they just feel real good on CCR!

I hope you're right. It is hard for me to judge because I haven't played CCR yet and buyers say this on every game.

#6 1 year ago

All four CGC remakes are now ranked in the top 6, which I think is spot on. I got into the hobby as COVID was starting to shut things down. I then bought AFMR into the fold, have played MBR and CCRSE and am patiently waiting for my CCR LE.

I think these four remakes are fantastic so for me it comes down to interesting shots, flow, and theme. I voted for MMR because I love the castle lock shot, damsel shot, and those trolls!

AFMR for me is a close second. I’m not the biggest fan of the jamming monsters, and I can’t wait to spend more time with CCR. I love the Wild West/Train/Mining theme and I hope the shots and flow are there as well.

#7 1 year ago

I can't believe I missed out on AFM! Here's to hoping..someday!

#8 1 year ago
Quoted from MacGruber:

I can't believe I missed out on AFM! Here's to hoping..someday!

I’ve played 3 AFMr’s and many OG’s. I’ve always felt this title feels the most different compared between original and CGC remake. There’s like zero backhandable shots on the remake. I could always make something on the original.

Having said that, I did like MMr and MBr but was of course hesitant when CCr came out. But as TeamUp said above, I played a CCr right out of the box at a friend’s house and it felt super close to the original, to the point I immediately bought one days later. It’s such a good game and will only get better/deeper when the new code drops. My $0.02.

#9 1 year ago
Quoted from Yoko2una:

I’ve played 3 AFMr’s and many OG’s. I’ve always felt this title feels the most different compared between original and CGC remake. There’s like zero backhandable shots on the remake. I could always make something on the original.
Having said that, I did like MMr and MBr but was of course hesitant when CCr came out. But as TeamUp said above, I played a CCr right out of the box at a friend’s house and it felt super close to the original, to the point I immediately bought one days later. It’s such a good game and will only get better/deeper when the new code drops. My $0.02.

I didn't get to experience an original CC and I'm not sure that many have I think that's part of what's so exciting about this release. With the 2 new Lyman codes Enhanced/Extended it feels almost like a new game! I think some of your comments on AFM contributed to why I didn't jump in on this company sooner and now im kicking myself! I've heard those complaints and I've even heard ppl say Remakes have lag. I don't have much time on the original AFM to compare but the remake I have time on is soooo good I just never had the courage to buy a non Stern when I got into the hobby all I read about was all these pinball horror stories but my CCr is so choice!!!

#10 1 year ago

Yoko2una Yeah to your point i went to a location to play CCr on a Friday and to hopefully just get it out of my system was the plan, that backfired completely by Monday morning I ordered one and could not be more impressed!

#11 1 year ago

I’ve been playing my Cactus Canyon SE all week and I gotta day, DAMN it’s awesome.

1 year later
#12 6 months ago

Alot of chatter in the CCR thread about where it lands has made me want to revisit this thread. Most I believe have gotten plenty of time on all these games by now and I'd love to see if opinions have changed.

#13 6 months ago

Of the remakes?

1. MMr
2. AFMr
3. MBr
4. CCr

ALL are great games I would recommend, but some more than others. All are rock solid reliable.

MMr- In the running for best game ever. Great rules, hard to beat. Feels like an evolutionary step past AFMr.
AFMr- Great game, great rules, harder to beat than MMr. The AFMr LE has perhaps the greatest LE package in pinball with the moving topper and lit ships.
MBr- Great game, good rules, a little on the easier side. Beautiful and would be my top recommendation for someone not obsessed with pinball that wants a pin for their house. Easy to explain rules.
CCr- Great game, good rules, but seems really easy in that I got to the final Wizard mode the first time I played. It's not a bad game by any stretch, but it may not have as long of legs as the other games here.

#14 6 months ago
Quoted from SantaEatsCheese:

Of the remakes?
1. MMr
2. AFMr
3. MBr
4. CCr
ALL are great games I would recommend, but some more than others. All are rock solid reliable.
MMr- In the running for best game ever. Great rules, hard to beat. Feels like an evolutionary step past AFMr.
AFMr- Great game, great rules, harder to beat than MMr. The AFMr LE has perhaps the greatest LE package in pinball with the moving topper and lit ships.
MBr- Great game, good rules, a little on the easier side. Beautiful and would be my top recommendation for someone not obsessed with pinball that wants a pin for their house. Easy to explain rules.
CCr- Great game, good rules, but seems really easy in that I got to the final Wizard mode the first time I played. It's not a bad game by any stretch, but it may not have as long of legs as the other games here.

Pretty great accesment. I love how the mini saucers change colors with the mothership on AFM LE. I think it might shoot a little better than MMr but it bugs me that it doesn't have all the extra high scores that Medieval has just for some silly extra replay ability or bragging rights.

#15 6 months ago

Of the remakes?

1. CCr
2. AFMr
3. MBr
4. MMr

CCr #1 due to the more finished code vs the original. The flippers feel the best out of the 4 CGC remakes.

MMr #4 due to the geometry being slightly off compared to the original MM. Plus the playfield inserts are hard to read the text on the remake vs an original MM.

#16 6 months ago
Quoted from Tommy-dog:

Of the remakes?
1. CCr
2. AFMr
3. MBr
4. MMr
CCr #1 due to the more finished code vs the original. The flippers feel the best out of the 4 CGC remakes.
MMr #4 due to the geometry being slightly off compared to the original MM. Plus the playfield inserts are hard to read the text on the remake vs an original MM.

That's an interesting take. I think you're right about the extended code improvement over the original. However i still think it lacks compared to its siblings instead of the originals. I might hafta resurrect this for a 3rd time if the Lyman and Josh Enhanced code gets released! About your other point, i did hear about some of those things on some of the very early models of MMr. Many that were not even assembled by CGC but actually done by Stern and were resolved in the later runs by CGC, especially when the RGB lit Royal and Special Editions hit the line. Wondering if you played any of those? I've also heard many actually noticed flipper lag in AFMr like it's a virtual table but I couldn't find any evidence of that myself.

#17 6 months ago
Quoted from MacGruber:

About your other point, i did hear about some of those things on some of the very early models of MMr. Many that were not even assembled by CGC but actually done by Stern and were resolved in the later runs by CGC, especially when the RGB lit Royal and Special Editions hit the line. Wondering if you played any of those? I've also heard many actually noticed flipper lag in AFMr like it's a virtual table but I couldn't find any evidence of that myself.

I had a first run MMr and it played totally different than my original. My goal was to buy a new MMr and then sell the original MM. After playing the MMr, I sold it since it played too differently than my original. Plus the playfield inserts were not frosted on the MMr so the text on the inserts were hard to read. Maybe future run MMr's fixed BOTH of these issues, unsure.

#18 6 months ago
Quoted from Tommy-dog:

Maybe future run MMr's fixed BOTH of these issues, unsure.

CGC did fix this on the later MMr builds

#19 6 months ago
Quoted from Only_Pinball:

CGC did fix this on the later MMr builds

Can you post a picture of the playfield inserts on the MMr. They use to be transparent so I do not know what they look like on the later run MMr's.

#20 6 months ago
Quoted from Tommy-dog:

Can you post a picture of the playfield inserts on the MMr. They use to be transparent so I do not know what they look like on the later run MMr's.

The inserts are still clear. It was the ink in the text that was the problem. They changed out that ink and you can read them fine.

#21 6 months ago

I have three out of the 4 and have played AFMr plenty as well.

These are my rankings and why.

1. MMRE - great game flow, great build quality, obtainable objectives, and all around fun game with good rule set

2. AFMr - same as above just a little less and this may just be because I don't have one in my lineup to play consistently and drill down into the rules as much

3. CCLE -great game flow, once again fantastic build quality, easy game for a novice. Only drawback is the code is lacking (a little too easy plus not enough wizard modes) and will hopefully be upgraded at some point with the new LFS/Josh upgrade we keep hearing about.

4. MBLE - lots of fun, great shots, good modes and generally a very approachable game. Build on this one not as good as other CGC's as the playfield dimpled like a new Stern after only 100 plays which was disappointing.

20230620_184110 (resized).jpg20230620_184110 (resized).jpg
#22 6 months ago
Quoted from zpinman370:

I have three out of the 4 and have played AFMr plenty as well.
These are my rankings and why.
1. MMRE - great game flow, great build quality, obtainable objectives, and all around fun game with good rule set
2. AFMr - same as above just a little less and this may just be because I don't have one in my lineup to play consistently and drill down into the rules as much
3. CCLE -great game flow, once again fantastic build quality, easy game for a novice. Only drawback is the code is lacking (a little too easy plus not enough wizard modes) and will hopefully be upgraded at some point with the new LFS/Josh upgrade we keep hearing about.
4. MBLE - lots of fun, great shots, good modes and generally a very approachable game. Build on this one not as good as other CGC's as the playfield dimpled like a new Stern after only 100 plays which was disappointing.
[quoted image]

Excellent explanation! Also thought it was neat that your ratings are identical to the way the voting is currently playing out! Boy I can't help but wonder if CCR wouldn't be higher if it had that Josh and Lyman code at release? Or even with the first year. I feel like so many have already bailed. It's actually kinda sad seeing these games for sale with in a month of ownership and 22 plays! I doubt that would've happened on Lymans code.

#23 6 months ago

CCR just because the flipper feel is garbage on the other 3 games. CCR just needs deeper code which should be coming at some point.

#24 6 months ago

I wanted to buy CC remake. It’s a lot of fun but there doesn’t seem to be enough going on on the code. I’ll play it on location a lot but don’t feel like it’s necessary to own it.

#25 6 months ago

The game that got me into pinball collecting was an MBrSE. My buddy got it NIB in 2018. Never had any maintenance problems. Just a work horse of a game.
I own an MBrSE now and consider it bolted to the floor even though it's not a very deep/complex game. I've played MMr and AFMr a lot on location (they're also both "easy" IMO) but only CCr once and that was in February. My wife hated CC. Forbid me from ever buying it. Before you dismiss her opinion, on that same trip to Pinball HoF in Vegas she said she wanted our next machine to be James Bond. I didn't think much of Bond at the time (code sucked) but bought one for her anyway. Ten code updates later and now Bond is our family's favorite and get's the most plays. Back to CGC:
1. MBr
2. MMr
3. AFMr
4. CCr

#26 6 months ago
Quoted from Nicholastree:

The game that got me into pinball collecting was an MBrSE. My buddy got it NIB in 2018. Never had any maintenance problems. Just a work horse of a game.
I own an MBrSE now and consider it bolted to the floor even though it's not a very deep/complex game. I've played MMr and AFMr a lot on location (they're also both "easy" IMO) but only CCr once and that was in February. My wife hated CC. Forbid me from ever buying it. Before you dismiss her opinion, on that same trip to Pinball HoF in Vegas she said she wanted our next machine to be James Bond. I didn't think much of Bond at the time (code sucked) but bought one for her anyway. Ten code updates later and now Bond is our family's favorite and get's the most plays. Back to CGC:
1. MBr
2. MMr
3. AFMr
4. CCr

MBr hype! Love it! Except I never know where that scoop kick out is gona go, coming at me like a fricken Trevor Hoffman change-up.

Edit, also, I'm loving Bond now it has so much content it almost feels like a different game every time I play it.

#27 6 months ago
Quoted from MacGruber:

MBr hype! Love it! Except I never know where that scoop kick out is gona go, coming at me like a fricken Trevor Hoffman change-up.
Edit, also, I'm loving Bond now it has so much content it almost feels like a different game every time I play it.

Excellent.

Regarding the MB scoop: mine is dialed in pretty well. Maybe one SDTM in 100+ plays. But I like that it keeps me on my toes

#28 6 months ago

I am looking forward to seeing what non-remakes are on the horizon from CGC!! Bring them on!

#29 6 months ago
Quoted from Tommy-dog:

I had a first run MMr and it played totally different than my original. My goal was to buy a new MMr and then sell the original MM. After playing the MMr, I sold it since it played too differently than my original. Plus the playfield inserts were not frosted on the MMr so the text on the inserts were hard to read. Maybe future run MMr's fixed BOTH of these issues, unsure.

One location 15 mins from me has the original MM, MB, and AFM, another location 15 mins the other way from me has MBr, AFMr, and CCr. I highly prefer the feel of the originals and always put up better scores on those.

#30 6 months ago
Quoted from cookpins:

One location 15 mins from me has the original MM, MB, and AFM, another location 15 mins the other way from me has MBr, AFMr, and CCr. I highly prefer the feel of the originals and always put up better scores on those.

Kickass locations dam!

#31 6 months ago
Quoted from Nicholastree:

Excellent.
Regarding the MB scoop: mine is dialed in pretty well. Maybe one SDTM in 100+ plays. But I like that it keeps me on my toes

I wish I could dial in this Monster Bash SE scoop at my favorite vacation destination! Sick of facing the closer in the first inning..lmao!

#32 6 months ago
Quoted from MacGruber:

Kickass locations dam!

Yeah, thankful for some great local operators and businesses!

Feel aside, these machines are all great to me. If they weren’t close by to play on location I’d be happy with them as a 4 pin collection. My rank constantly switches on them but today I’d say..

MM
MB
AFM
CC

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie
Other
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball
Decorations
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk
Other
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.
Flipper parts
Trade
Machine - For Trade
Columbia, MD
$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Toys/Add-ons
$ 44.95
Hardware
RavSpec
Hardware
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 129.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods
Toys/Add-ons
Machine - For Sale
Grand Forks, ND
$ 210.00
Machine - For Sale
Mars, PA
Cabinet - Toppers
+CY Universal
Toppers
$ 8,000.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms
Pinball Machine
$ 24.99
Playfield - Plastics
Pinhead mods
Plastics
$ 119.99
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs
(Alt) Translites
$ 12.95
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Pimp
Decals
7,500 (OBO)
$ 399.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.
Flipper parts
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.
Flipper parts
$ 17.50
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
$ 75.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Creekside Hideaway, LLC
Toys/Add-ons
$ 24.75
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
Toys/Add-ons
$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields
Decals
$ 219.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Lit Frames
Decorations
$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC
Decorations
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC
Various novelties

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/best-cgc and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.