• Topic is favorited by 7 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

skillshot_lightdots.png
skillshot_fulldots.png
t2_skillshot (resized).png
There are 118 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 3.
#101 6 years ago
Quoted from Mocean:

Practical issues make T2 twice as hard. You're dealing with two different license holders.
So, on that note, my ideas for t2 share some similarities with the OPs. Here's an example:
----
T2 ideas:
The left database saucer as a "Command decision" shot like in STTNG. A player selects a mission mode and "travels through time" to start that mission. Some mini-modes can remain active for progress while mission modes are in play.
Idle mode/no mission mode active:
Future war: graphics and sounds show the battle in the future. Key shots award points, collect enough to power up the time travel saucer shot (think adding miles in Road Show). You need a certain amount of energy to enable certain mission modes. this lets the player not have to play the same sequence of missions over and over but also allows some missions to be harder to unlock

Cant he just make the rules on his own and then take "donations"?

That being said, I am so on board for T2. We should start a thread dedicated to T2 rule re-writing. I have some ideas too.

Really like the "future war" idea for an idle "mode" between selecting modes. Would be cool to have an animation of 800's getting mowed down with bullets that shoot when ever the pops gets hit, like ST with its blasters or WD with the walkers.

I also think it would be cool to be able to choose original/new rules at game start.

#102 6 years ago

Im in for T2 all the way. I think its one of, if not the best flow games, and it could be one of the all around greats with a better ruleset. My T2 is a keeper but it sits idle quite a bit due to the shallow rules and repetitiveness.

#104 6 years ago

Agreed. That's what I've always called it.

skill shot previewskill shot preview

#105 6 years ago

THAT LOOKS DOPE!!!

#106 6 years ago
Quoted from Chitownpinball:

THAT LOOKS DOPE!!!

Thanks. I've gathered quite a few assets over the years and with endprodukts awesome Pinsound mix, there's lot to work with. I only recently decided to make a concerted effort to pull all of my random T2 sample code bits into a cohesive example for SkeletonGame, but really the goal is providing example code and not a CCC style project...

Needless to say, I agree that T2 is a perfect game to "Continue". It has a solid fan layout, and yet the rules are more "system 11 like" than many actual system 11 games. Also, despite some appalling prices recently, T2 is an inexpensive enough title that dropping the additional cash for a P-ROC, LCD, and controller PC still leaves you with plenty of cash compared to other games out there.

#107 6 years ago
Quoted from Mocean:

Thanks. I've gathered quite a few assets over the years and with endprodukts awesome Pinsound mix, there's lot to work with. I only recently decided to make a concerted effort to pull all of my random T2 sample code bits into a cohesive example for SkeletonGame, but really the goal is providing example code and not a CCC style project...
Needless to say, I agree that T2 is a perfect game to "Continue". It has a solid fan layout, and yet the rules are more "system 11 like" than many actual system 11 games. Also, despite some appalling prices recently, T2 is an inexpensive enough title that dropping the additional cash for a P-ROC, LCD, and controller PC still leaves you with plenty of cash compared to other games out there.

If you do decide to move ahead with it, if I were you I'd go with dots. High resolution 3D renders, especially those mimicking such an iconic franchise are going to be really difficult and time consuming to make them look good.

#108 6 years ago
Quoted from rubberducks:

If you do decide to move ahead with it, if I were you I'd go with dots. High resolution 3D renders, especially those mimicking such an iconic franchise are going to be really difficult and time consuming to make them look good.

I appreciate the input, but whereas I agree about not going high resolution, I'm not going dots. Using pixels on the LCD to simulate dots turns a lot of pixels off, and as a result the overall image is darker.

A while back I spent a long time coming to grips with the idea that a display could not have dots and "still look like pinball" --We tried all manner of different dot outline masks to increase brightness and maintain the separation effect... With an already dark theme, it just makes the display appear lack-luster in person.

I assure you, when you're standing at the physical machine, you don't need the simulated dots that make it look like pinball

Later today I'll turn on the dots option and post some screens. It's a single line change. When you see it here and not on the machine, I wouldn't be surprised if you preferred the dots. It's the nature of how you're viewing it, I think.

#109 6 years ago

Light dots and full dots (full circle) screen shots attached. Contrast with the previous screenshot which has no dot filter enabled.

Enjoy.

skillshot_fulldots.pngskillshot_fulldots.png

skillshot_lightdots.pngskillshot_lightdots.png

#110 6 years ago
Quoted from mbaumle:

I think a lot of the System 11 games could use a rewrite. They have the playfield of a WPC game, but the rules of not a WPC game. Especially Earthshaker. Earthshaker, imo, has just an absolutely brilliant playfield design, but it's rules to me seem lacking, especially during multiball.
I also think a lot of the Gottlieb System 3 games could use a hearty re-write. Those "mystery" awards that mar and otherwise clever or unique playfield design absolutely kill things for most people.

Have you seen Scott Danesi's Earthshaker Aftershock?

#111 6 years ago
Quoted from Mocean:

I appreciate the input, but whereas I agree about not going high resolution, I'm not going dots. Using pixels on the LCD to simulate dots turns a lot of pixels off, and as a result the overall image is darker.
A while back I spent a long time coming to grips with the idea that a display could not have dots and "still look like pinball" --We tried all manner of different dot outline masks to increase brightness and maintain the separation effect... With an already dark theme, it just makes the display appear lack-luster in person.
I assure you, when you're standing at the physical machine, you don't need the simulated dots that make it look like pinball
Later today I'll turn on the dots option and post some screens. It's a single line change. When you see it here and not on the machine, I wouldn't be surprised if you preferred the dots. It's the nature of how you're viewing it, I think.

Indeed, agreed re: the simulated dots. Hence why I think the mooted non-dots (high res) display mode for TBL will make it look much better, if it comes to fruition.

But you could use an LED DMD. Either PIN2DMD or pinballsp. It shouldn't take much to hook them up.

I'm not hung up on the dot look at all. Just I suspect it will be much less time consuming to do dot matrix type animations than animated 3D models. Also, if you bring others into the project, I think many more individuals are likely to be capable of producing decent dot art.

But maybe 3D is your thing

#112 6 years ago

So, is it likely anything is happening here with a T2 rules overhaul? I have a home use T2 (undocumented) that I'm on the fence about keeping. New rules would for sure sway me to keep it since I wouldn't want to have to try and find this nice of a T2 again.

#113 6 years ago

I think the dots look way better. The first image.

#114 6 years ago
Quoted from Cheeks:

So, is it likely anything is happening here with a T2 rules overhaul? I have a home use T2 (undocumented) that I'm on the fence about keeping. New rules would for sure sway me to keep it since I wouldn't want to have to try and find this nice of a T2 again.

You could increase the odds by selling me your T2

But seriously, nobody should wait for me_ here. I have posted my best effort to improve the T2 rules and I don't think my proposals are good enough. Why?

- not enough stacking opportunities
- unsure if proposed video mode would be fun
- needs more ways to collect weapons for the steel mill

I'd be happy to start a new thread dedicated to T2 to hash out the actual rules that we'd want implemented. The topic needs focus and discussion to fix the rules enough to make it worth the hours to actually implement. If a few people +1 this idea I'll start the thread (or you can, I'm not proprietary about my ideas ... ideas are a dime a dozen, execution is hard).

Osric

1 month later
#115 6 years ago

Totan need a new code, for sure.
My single suggestions to increase wizard mode:

1 - Sinbad and Rocks - more bumpers hits, 10 or more, not only one.
2 - Scheherazade - Shot only one gold symbol to complete in 20 seconds is too easy! My suggestion is 4 or 5 shots in 20 seconds. If not completed, sorry try again.
3 - Flying carpet - Only one ramp shot is too easy! At least 3 ramps would be good or alternate with everything.
4 - Cyclops - Only one captive ball to hit!? No, at least 5 hits would be good.

The other modes no need to be changed, imho.

If possible to implement a video mode, a new way to get haren mb, or increase difficult to collect jewels by lamp would be good.

The genie battle no need to be more difficult. Terrible is a game when you can get close to finish and you loose most of times, this dismotivates everyone.

PS. The wizard mode of Scared Stiff would be the next in my list.

#116 6 years ago
Quoted from billyrjse:

Totan need a new code, for sure.
My single suggestions to increase wizard mode:
1 - Sinbad and Rocks - more bumpers hits, 10 or more, not only one.
2 - Scheherazade - Shot only one gold symbol to complete in 20 seconds is too easy! My suggestion is 4 or 5 shots in 20 seconds. If not completed, sorry try again.
3 - Flying carpet - Only one ramp shot is too easy! At least 3 ramps would be good or alternate with everything.
4 - Cyclops - Only one captive ball to hit!? No, at least 5 hits would be good.
The other modes no need to be changed, imho.
If possible to implement a video mode, a new way to get haren mb, or increase difficult to collect jewels by lamp would be good.
The genie battle no need to be more difficult. Terrible is a game when you can get close to finish and you loose most of times, this dismotivates everyone.
PS. The wizard mode of Scared Stiff would be the next in my list.

Man I wish someone would tweek the code on Totan but don't hold your breath on this!

#117 6 years ago
Quoted from mollyspub:

Man I wish someone would tweek the code on Totan but don't hold your breath on this!

I'm not, but as we say here, hope is the last to die.

Greetings!

3 years later
#118 2 years ago
Quoted from mollyspub:

IS the guy alive? ehehe

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 47.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 39.99
Rubber/Silicone
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 84.99
Playfield - Decals
FlyLand Designs

$ 29.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 33.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 99.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 85.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

8,700 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
San Ramon, CA
$ 1,059.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

Wanted
$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 225.00
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 5.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Fuzz

$ 84.99
$ 72.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

11,300 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Danbury, WI
€ 150.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
TheDudeMods

11,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Seward, AK
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 27.95
There are 118 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/best-candidate-for-new-code/page/3 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.