Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 39 posts
  • 28 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by kwiKimart
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 12 years ago

http://www.sternpinball.com/About/Press/7482.aspx

I am surprised by this news, especialy when you hear on the Forbes website Best Buy might go out of business soon.

#2 12 years ago

BB can't go out of business. That is the best store in the world.

#3 12 years ago

Maybe they will get a couple 100 sales? good for them keep building more
    I see the IM Classic is a lot like that SM sold a few years ago at Costco ?

"This machine does not feature a coin mechanism and can not be operated "$3,799
    good or bad? I guess it depends how you look at it

#4 12 years ago

BB isn't going anywhere anytime soon. The same people who are talking down about them now are the same people who were singing their praises two years ago. That's not to say they don't need to change how they do things. They've kind of lost their way recently, but if they get back to basics they will be fine for the foreseeable future.

As for BB selling Stern games? I think it is a pretty cool idea. Gives pinball more exposure which is never a bad thing. Sad to see they are still selling the craptastic IM Classic though. That will put a sour taste in people's mouths if it is their first pinball experience.

#5 12 years ago

That is great news!!! It will make it much easier and more accessible without shipping charges. Thanks for sharing this article tk. I hope more and more pins are distributed through super stores like this it will help keep a select few distributors from buying all the product and driving the prices higher than they need to be.

#6 12 years ago

Sounds good to me. Anything that raises more awareness for pinball is good.

#7 12 years ago

This IS great news! Being able to knock off a $350-400 shipping charge is sweeet! er, is Avatar wort getting??

#8 12 years ago

Doesn't look like any kind of deal do me, same price as other online stores
    , plus I get hit with tax

Product Total:$4,799.99.
    Delivery Estimate:$199.00.
    Estimated Sales Tax:$256.20.
    Subtotal:$5,255.19

Looks like I can order one from online for 4650 free shipping, no tax

#9 12 years ago
    Quoted from The_Dude_Abides:

That is great news!!! It will make it much easier and more accessible without shipping charges. Thanks for sharing this article tk. I hope more and more pins are distributed through super stores like this it will help keep a select few distributors from buying all the product and driving the prices higher than they need to be.

This are good new, you will have to pay state taxes, and help the state, but Free Delivery or In Store Pick up is great hu?

Quoted from spfxted:

This IS great news! Being able to knock off a $350-400 shipping charge is sweeet! er, is Avatar wort getting??

I like that too! I like Avatar Better than Tron if you ask me.

The only thing I don't like about Best Buy is their Costumer Service. it's Horrible! They repaired a LCD but left a lot of dust and a big scratch on the back of the screen. I will never buy anything at Best Buy unless its The Avengers Pinball

#10 12 years ago
    Quoted from tk375:

This are good new, you will have to pay state taxes, and help the state, but Free Delivery or In Store Pick up is great hu?

Im getting $199 shipping charge, not available in stores, special order only?

#11 12 years ago
    Quoted from jarjarisgod:

Sad to see they are still selling the craptastic IM Classic though.

Is it really bad? Aside from the door,d you know what other kinds of things did they skimped on?

#12 12 years ago

They should have them for inshore pick up. The prices are not very good.

#13 12 years ago
    Quoted from Rick471:

Im getting $199 shipping charge, not available in stores, special order only?

Wow, they should not charge delivery, check another store. I read some stores are gonna have them in Stock.

#14 12 years ago

Rascal, they also removed the magnets, the war machine kickback, and the whiplash figure (maybe the war machine figure too). I think the cabinet is not commercial grade as well.

#15 12 years ago
    Quoted from VegasAlleycat:

Rascal, they also removed the magnets, the war machine kickback, and the whiplash figure (maybe the war machine figure too). I think the cabinet is not commercial grade as well.

Oof... that is pretty craptastic. Won't be getting one of those. Thanks.

#16 12 years ago

Another sign Stern is feeling the new competition. It's a good thing maybe but not for places (Pinball Distributors) who might now have to compete for sales to the uninformed public.

#17 12 years ago

After setting foot in Fry's Electronics, Best Buy is dead to me....

#18 12 years ago

It's good for Stern, but I would rather buy a Stern from a pinball distributor than at Best Buy.

#19 12 years ago

Don't forget Best Buys' financing. Many things have a monthly/same as cash deal. Usually 18 months.

(Running up your credit bills for pinball is a bad idea btw)

#20 12 years ago

Its been wandering around in my heads for months why Stern
    doesn't distributed to customers more directly and bam we get this!
    Excellent!

#21 12 years ago
    Quoted from kwiKimart:

It's good for Stern, but I would rather buy a Stern from a pinball distributor than at Best Buy

- Can you imagine the geek squad at BB trying to get into a pinball machine never mind trying to fix it when a customer brings it back a month latter ?
    "you have to cut the glass boys to get in - I'll show you how"

#22 12 years ago

for an extra $100 will give you a 18 month no questions asked service contract
    - OK

#23 12 years ago

I guarantee that the Geek Squad barely knows anything on how to fix/repair Stern machines.

#24 12 years ago

the exposure is good for the hobby, just hope bb and stern don't muck it up for new enthusiasts.

with jjp and stern competing for dollars i have a really good feeling pinball might start to make inroads going forward and actually grow.

how cool is that in a stagnant economy, and even made in america!

i will never buy a foreign pin, never

#25 12 years ago

I hope they do not make many cuts to quality.

#26 12 years ago

Expensive.

#27 12 years ago

BB here in the Cincinnati area has inflated pricing, Costco or Sams are by far the better option. Add to that BB's reputation for horrible customer service and I don't think it will last long here.

#28 12 years ago

I'm not sure this is a good thing. I doubt there will be much of a price advantage buying via BB, remember most of us would have to pay sales taxes for a local retail purchase - though no shipping I suppose, then again, a number of online distributors have free/lower cost shipping for NIB's. Maybe that's a wash.

But more importantly, I think most people buying via BB wouldn't know how temperamental pins can be to keep running and is BB really going to be set-up to support them? Maybe they planned for that, but I doubt it. While it's good exposure for pinball I don't think BB will be selling pins for very long, IMO

#29 12 years ago

Question - when you buy a NIB pin do you also get hit for shipping charges? like add to the price?

#30 12 years ago

Are they planning on having playable games on display in the stores?

#31 12 years ago
    Quoted from HELLODEADCITY:

Question - when you buy a NIB pin do you also get hit for shipping charges? like add to the price?

Good Question, I guess if you contact BestBuy costumer services, they should know, if they don't contact Stern, they should know too.

Quoted from gweempose:

Are they planning on having playable games on display in the stores?

Some stores are gonna have a few machines in display.

1 year later
    #32 10 years ago

Anyone ever see a pin in person at BB?

#33 10 years ago

I did. Seem to recall seeing a Batman Dark Knight at BJ's or Sam's Club at one point too.

#34 10 years ago

Can't find them. I searched pinball and stern pinball on Bestbuy.com and tried to follow the link. Are you guys still able to find them?

#35 10 years ago

I haven't seen them online at the BB site in about a year, which is about when the last activity was on this thread before someone bumped it back to the top a couple hours ago.

Sears had them listed on their website a year or two ago as well but doesn't anymore.

Probably couldn't compete with Amazon and their free shipping and lack of sales tax.

#36 10 years ago

Having worked at BBY, I can attest that they wouldn't know what to do with pinball machines.

A while ago, it was cool, employees were encouraged to learn all they could about their dept.'s products. There were full timers in each department and they made sure people knew their stuff.

That focus is dead. The only FT people are managers and sups. Those are the ones you see standing in a group in the back corner ignoring you. Those are the ones when you ask, Where are the memory cards, they say "let me find someone to help you with that." It's a f-in memory card, just point the way! Part timers have had their hours cut so much they barely have time to do their job, much less learn their products.

You really want to buy something as fragile as a pin and pay for the plan too, and have some guy that diagnoses computers fix your pin? You trust them to stock that in their warehouse correctly?

For the sake of the part timers, learn the managers names at the stores. When you have a bad experience, do the survey and use the managers name. When you have a good experience, do the survey and use the line level person's name. They get scored on how often they get mentioned in a good way.

I don't miss it the way it is now. I miss it the way it used to be. BTW - BBY price matches amazon.

#37 10 years ago

Yep, I just realized this thread is a year old That would probably explain why they are no longer there.
    Thanks

#38 10 years ago
    Quoted from Sharon:

Having worked at BBY, I can attest that they wouldn't know what to do with pinball machines.
    A while ago, it was cool, employees were encouraged to learn all they could about their dept.'s products. There were full timers in each department and they made sure people knew their stuff.
    That focus is dead. The only FT people are managers and sups. Those are the ones you see standing in a group in the back corner ignoring you. Those are the ones when you ask, Where are the memory cards, they say "let me find someone to help you with that." It's a f-in memory card, just point the way! Part timers have had their hours cut so much they barely have time to do their job, much less learn their products.
    You really want to buy something as fragile as a pin and pay for the plan too, and have some guy that diagnoses computers fix your pin? You trust them to stock that in their warehouse correctly?
    For the sake of the part timers, learn the managers names at the stores. When you have a bad experience, do the survey and use the managers name. When you have a good experience, do the survey and use the line level person's name. They get scored on how often they get mentioned in a good way.
    I don't miss it the way it is now. I miss it the way it used to be. BTW - BBY price matches amazon.

There are quite a few best buy people who know their way around a pinball machine quite well, you would be surprised. (I know for a fact one of the people high up the food chain makes his own coils)

#39 10 years ago

It's been a while since I've heard from tk375. Last time I saw him was about six months ago.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/best-buy-now-selling-stern-pinball-machines and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.