(Topic ID: 173201)

Best budget pinball machine with multiball?

By Matesamo

7 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 54 posts
  • 36 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by boscokid
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

download (resized).jpg
    fonz-pinball-420 (resized).jpg
    TAF_Multiball (resized).jpg

There are 54 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 7 years ago

I have been picking up some budget pinball machines when I get the good fortune to find them so the neighborhood kids have a place to play pinball. We have had some pinball parties already with the goal to have actual leagues and such for them when I get enough machines. I have been buying in the $400-$700 range but the one request I get them most from the kids is the request for a machine that has multiball.

So I ask you, knowledgeable Pinsider, what is the best budget table that features multiball of some sort? I know I will have to go outside my usual price range but I want to make sure that it is a fun table that will offer the kids more than just the multiball.

TAF_Multiball (resized).jpgTAF_Multiball (resized).jpg

#2 7 years ago

Firepower, Big Guns, Hollywood Heat and any number of terrible early 1990s Premier/Gottlieb games come to mind.

If you are really horny for multiball you might expect to pay $800-1000 minimum realistically unless you luck into a deal.

#3 7 years ago

I know a lot of people bash it but maybe consider Popeye. I didn't like it at forst but it DOES have a lot to shoot for and offers several different multi balls. Would be a good game for you especially since you're targeting kids. I enjoy Popeye a lot now. It just takes a while to understand the rule set but it's not overly difficult to learn to play

#4 7 years ago
    Quoted from SpecialK-33:

I know a lot of people bash it but maybe consider Popeye. I didn't like it at forst but it DOES have a lot to shoot for and offers several different multi balls. Would be a good game for you especially since you're targeting kids. I enjoy Popeye a lot now. It just takes a while to understand the rule set but it's not overly difficult to learn to play

That's an $1800 game minimum.

#5 7 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Firepower, Big Guns, Hollywood Heat and any number of terrible early 1990s Premier/Gottlieb games come to mind.
    If you are really horny for multiball you might expect to pay $800-1000 minimum realistically unless you luck into a deal.

Good call on Big Guns. While "bang for your buck" is grossly overused, I do think BG fits the bill. Lots of cool stuff going on in that game given the low price/demand. Just make sure you have a high enough ceiling to accommodate that massive headbox.

#6 7 years ago

Big Guns has a cool multiball. Not much else, but it does have that.

See if you can find a cheap Black Knight.

A system 80b is probably the cheapest way to get a multiball. Spring Break even starts with multiball when you press the fire button.

You still see LW3 for pretty cheap...

I guess it depends: how much are you willing to stretch your budget, and do you want games that can be readily found for that price, or a list of things to look out for deals on?

#7 7 years ago

Firepower or Firepower II would be the best to find in your price range. FP2 has lock ready at start with only one shot to start it, so you can keep the game in multiball pretty easily.

#8 7 years ago

Road Kings....under a grand all day..............Joey

#9 7 years ago

Do you want solid state or dmd or dont matter?

#10 7 years ago
    Quoted from Mitch:

Do you want solid state or dmd or dont matter?

It really doesn't matter, when we went to Pinball Wizard they would ask if there was multiball before they played it. If it did not then they usually moved on.

#11 7 years ago

Shaq Attaq. Kids like it because it gives you multiball automatically once a game plus it has the basket shot. Priced under 1k.

#12 7 years ago

Nip-It

#13 7 years ago
    Quoted from BeaglePuss:

Good call on Big Guns. While "bang for your buck" is grossly overused, I do think BG fits the bill. Lots of cool stuff going on in that game given the low price/demand. Just make sure you have a high enough ceiling to accommodate that massive headbox.

It is funny, when we were at the Pinball Gallery for the Dialed In launch party last weekend my son picked that one as his favorite table! I remember looking at the table and asking "there are no bumpers" and then looking at the headbox and thinking that there was no way that would fit in the basement, lol.

#15 7 years ago

A beater Space Shuttle can be found in that price range and has multiball.

#16 7 years ago

Water world has a few different multiballs , and can be had for a decent price .

#17 7 years ago

Firepower, Apollo 13

#18 7 years ago

+1 on Firepower and F-14 TomCat

#19 7 years ago

Balls-A-Poppin, Space Shuttle.

LTG : )

#20 7 years ago

Good of you to do this for the kids. Gives them something fun to do & hopefully gets more people into pinball. Probably makes you feel good too! I'm sure it's something they'll remember & appreciate.

#21 7 years ago

Blackwater 100. 6 ball multiball at the start of every ball

#22 7 years ago

Games that give you multiball automatically take away one of the things to aim for in the game play. I'd stay away from those ones. Multi-ball should be a reward.

#23 7 years ago
    Quoted from HighVoltage:

Games that give you multiball automatically take away one of the things to aim for in the game play. I'd stay away from those ones. Multi-ball should be a reward.

Pretty smart strategy considering the OP said his kids ONLY like to play pinball because of multiball.

#24 7 years ago

Depends how old they are I guess... I'd bet they like to work for the reward, and the novelty wears out faster if every game is shooting multi-balls out at you...

Basic psychology says you'll strive for something more often if the reward isn't consistent... you're not so smart...

#25 7 years ago

Fireball

#26 7 years ago

For that price range Firepower

#27 7 years ago

I agree with Compy and Lloyd, Space Shuttle

#28 7 years ago
    Quoted from Crispin:

I agree with Compy and Lloyd, Space Shuttle

Problem is it isn't really a budget game. Asking prices on decent ones are creeping up to the $1500 range these days.

He might be "lucky" and find a beater in good working shape for under $1,000 but I don't see those very often at all.

#29 7 years ago

Black Knight is a pretty good multiball game that can be had for a reasonable price.

#30 7 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Pretty smart strategy considering the OP said his kids ONLY like to play pinball because of multiball.

Sorry if I gave that impression, they enjoy pinball but they always ask if there is multiball, it is just something they ask for. They still play but I know a table with any sort of multiball would be well received.

#31 7 years ago

These kids like Nip-It

fonz-pinball-420 (resized).jpgfonz-pinball-420 (resized).jpg

#32 7 years ago

Actually, Fireball Classic can probably be found below $1k

#33 7 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

These kids like Nip-It

Those 'kids' look like they have kids of their own.

#34 7 years ago

Gameshow ?
    Vector ?
    Jokerz ?

#35 7 years ago
    Quoted from stoptap:

Maybe. But they are playing a multiball game that can be had in the Ops normal spending range.

#36 7 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

Maybe. But they are playing a multiball game that can be had in the Ops normal spending range.

Are the ones I posted more expensive in the US ? Sub £800 games here in the UK.

#37 7 years ago
    Quoted from stoptap:

Are the ones I posted more expensive in the US ?

Don't know. I haven't or wouldn't buy any of those.

#38 7 years ago
    Quoted from Matesamo:

So I ask you, knowledgeable Pinsider, what is the best budget table that features multiball of some sort? I know I will have to go outside my usual price range but I want to make sure that it is a fun table that will offer the kids more than just the multiball.

I realize this is way outside of your target price range, but if you could possibly swing an Apollo 13, I think the kids would freak out the first time they experience the 13-ball multiball.

https://pinside.com/pinball/archive/apollo-13

Estimated value: $2680 - $3120

#39 7 years ago

Jungle Lord can be found at a good price, although I'm not sure the art work is appropriate for kids.

#40 7 years ago

Volcano! A good one only runs you about 850!

#41 7 years ago
    Quoted from Razorbak86:

I realize this is way outside of your target price range, but if you could possibly swing an Apollo 13, I think the kids would freak out the first time they experience the 13-ball multiball.
    https://pinside.com/pinball/archive/apollo-13
    Estimated value: $2680 - $3120

I think that may set too high of a standard for future tables, lol. I do not think I have ever seen Apollo 13, that must be insane!

#42 7 years ago
    Quoted from Matesamo:

I think that may set too high of a standard for future tables, lol. I do not think I have ever seen Apollo 13, that must be insane!

It is.

#43 7 years ago

There is a Jurassic Park up in Mass for $2500 that makes my mouth water, lol. I am trying to talk my wife into it as a family Christmas gift but I am not sure she is buying into it. I played the heck out of that machine in the army and it is one of my grails tables. Oh, to dream!

#44 7 years ago

I agree that High Speed and F14 should be on the list, there are a LOT of them out there with trashed playfield you should be able to get for a decent price, although probably not sub $600 unless there are other big problems.

#45 7 years ago

As a guy that owns Firepower and has kids...I have never seen them come close to achieving multiball on that game. Unless they are pretty awesome at pinball, you may want to try one that makes getting it a little easier to keep their interest.

#46 7 years ago

I know you have a budget, but splurge and get the kids an Apollo 13. Their heads would probably explode with a 13 ball multiball

#47 7 years ago

Firepower all day.

#48 7 years ago
    Quoted from setzkor:

As a guy that owns Firepower and has kids...I have never seen them come close to achieving multiball on that game. Unless they are pretty awesome at pinball, you may want to try one that makes getting it a little easier to keep their interest.

Hell, I'm pretty good at pinball and I've never managed it. Even in pinball arcade...

#49 7 years ago

I would have to agree that Space Shuttle is a good lower cost game with multi-ball. It is pretty easy to get 2 balls in play and not too difficult getting the 3rd. I think you could get a working unit around $750 in good/fair condition.

#50 7 years ago
    Quoted from stoptap:

All that smoking, pizza, and brylcreem will wrinkle you prematurely.

There are 54 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/best-budget-pinball-machine-with-multiball?hl=trunchbull and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.