You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

P4061824.JPG
P4061823.JPG
Inside_RCT_Cab.JPG
#1 12 years ago

I tried the search and was not successful in finding an answer.

I would like to touch up these scuffs on the inside of the RCT I am working on. I am not doing a full cabinet restore but would like to make this look a bit nicer.

What is the best brand and paint color (I know there are lots of different blacks), and sheen to use?

Also, any tips to make it match better with technique?

Any help is greatly appreciated

Inside_RCT_Cab.JPGInside_RCT_Cab.JPG

#2 12 years ago

I think a semi gloss black enamel will work best, easy to do with a small disposable roller (sample pot roller) Enamel is much tougher than a water based acrylic

#3 12 years ago

Sharpie.

#4 12 years ago

Rustoleum semi-gloss black will be the closest you will find.
Pull the playfield out and set it to the side... looks like you have done this.
To make it look great fill those areas with fine wood filler and sand it down.
Use a spounge applicator and paint both left and right inside walls of the cab.
Will look close to new.

#5 12 years ago

Rustoleum painters touch semi gloss black works great for cabinet inside walls. Get at home depot for $4/can, sprays smooth and lays down really nice.

#6 12 years ago

OK 2 out of 3 say > Rustoleum semi-gloss black. Does everyone agree with the enamel? I assume that will dry much quicker also?

Sponge applicator or small sponge roller are the same thing correct?

edited to say: so I could also just mask off and spray with a can?

#7 12 years ago

HOOKED is right Semi-Gloss Rustoleum is almost a perfect match. I'm going to give Krylons semi/satin black a try on my next cabinet. I think that the Krylon spray cans are alot better than the Rustoleum ones. Rustoleum spray cans seem to platter and chuff the paint.

#8 12 years ago

Update> looks great. Thanks for the tips!

I think next time I may try the satin, but the semigloss was a perfect match. I found that spraying into a toss-a-way pan and using a small sponge roller to apply worked best for me.

P4061823.JPGP4061823.JPG P4061824.JPGP4061824.JPG

#9 12 years ago

I bought a can of the semi-gloss at hardwear store about 10 or so shop outs ago. I still have 1/4 of that same quart, that stuff goes a long way. First cab I sprayed but after that (taking it in and out of the house) I went to spounge and its been great.

Glad it worked out for you.

#10 12 years ago

looks nice hilton, maybe i will have to have you come up and do a couple of mine

#11 12 years ago
Quoted from KingPinGames:

looks nice hilton, maybe i will have to have you come up and do a couple of mine

Thanks I am almost done with the complete restore. It has been a lot of fun and I have learned a TON! I plan to start a full thread detailing the process after I am done. Fingers crossed that I do not hit any major snafus when I finally fire it up after putting it all back together.

I am waiting on a few more parts to arrive in the mail (USPS sent my package via AZ from PBL in IL so it will be mid next week before I finish). I also found a full set of NOS decals and plastics. I would be hapy to take some high res scans if you need to repro any plastics.

I would buy another and do it all again, but I would need a price good enough that I could resell the second and make a little $ for my efforts. Give me a call if you want to work something out

cheers

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Medford, NJ
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 22.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 17.00
Cabinet - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

$ 6.00
Playfield - Protection
Apron Envy

$ 1.29
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Machine - For Sale
Nashua, NH
Machine - For Sale
Little River, SC
$ 18.95

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/best-black-paint-match-for-inside-of-stern-rct-cab and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.