(Topic ID: 84084)

Best Black for touch-ups?

By NYP

10 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 10 years ago

Mainly talking about the 90's WPC games. Been trying a few different blacks over the years and none seem to be a perfect match. I go through great lengths to match all the other colors but can't seem to find a perfect match for basic black, it's either too light or just a little off. I've tried liquitex black, createx black and am looking for a good latex in the bottle black. For out of the can paints I've tried painters touch, benjamin moore and just about every brand I could think of over the years. Most are close enough but don't seem 'black' enough, anyone have a good match?

#2 10 years ago

In automotive painting I've found that adding a a dark blue or purple to black it seems "blacker".

#3 10 years ago

Most of the time I use Folk Art "Shiny" black with good results.

#4 10 years ago

I'm a painter by trade. Remember, when EVER you touch something up. it's never going to blend in and look the same because you are putting new paint on top of old paint. This is true even if you bought a gallon of paint to paint a wall in your home. Then, 6 months later, there's a chip or scratch that you touch up with the original left over paint you used. You'll still see the touch up. And this is especially true for paints with a sheen or gloss in them. The higher the gloss/sheen, the more visible the touch up.

That said, if you want the EXACT black paint that's on your machine, take a small (dime sized) chip of paint off the very top of the back box. (By top, I mean where a topper would go.) It will never be seen from up there. Then, take that chip of paint into the paint store or HD or Lowes, w/e and they will put it in their color match machine. The machine will break down the paint color and give them the exact recipe to make the black color on your machine. You just have to decide what gloss/sheen you want the paint to be. As I said, you will still see your touch up spots regardless. Depending on the sheen, you'll see them even more. The higher the gloss/sheen, the more the touch-up shows. Over time and as the paint ages, it blends in a little better.

Also something to consider is that the higher the gloss of the paint, the more it helps to protect the machine. The gloss helps to reflect UV rays off the paint to protect more from fading as well as making it easier to clean. So there's a lot of things to consider when choosing a gloss/sheen.

For me, I redid my South Park machine over with eggshell finish black. Why? Well, there were some scratches and a few gauges insides of the machine. The eggshell finish makes those blend in more where as a glossy/shiny paint would make those imperfections show up even more. Additionally, if I have to touch it up in the future, the lesser sheened eggshell finish will blend in better and be tougher to spot than a glossy sheen. Remember, the higher the gloss, the more imperfections you will see.

Sheen types mainly run...High Gloss - Semi Gloss - Satin - Eggshell - Flat. In that order from super shinny (High Gloss) to no sheen at all (Flat).

I like eggshell because it gives you a little bit of sheen to help protect the paint from some fading and for cleaning your machine while also hiding imperfections better. However, if my machine were in excellent condition I would have used a semi-gloss finish paint. The semi gloss would make it more shinny to accent the niceness off the machine while also giving it great protection from fading and making it far easier to clean. Think of the higher sheen as you would a clear coat on a car. The clear coat protects the actual paint color. The gloss/sheen of the paint acts in the same way.

Hope this helped. Should you or anyone have any more questions, please feel free to PM me. I can even PM you my phone number back and we can talk.

Good luck.

#5 10 years ago

I have found the Testers hobby paint to work really well. I get a small jar of both flat and gloss black and see which one looks best on that particular machine. I touched up my Getaway on the side of the cabinet where there was wear at the flipper buttons with the gloss and you can hardly notice the touch up.

#6 10 years ago
    Quoted from Lethal_Inc:

I have found the Testers hobby paint to work really well. I get a small jar of both flat and gloss black and see which one looks best on that particular machine. I touched up my Getaway on the side of the cabinet where there was wear at the flipper buttons with the gloss and you can hardly notice the touch up.

+1

#7 10 years ago

Pinball Universe have some paints. I've used the TftC purple that matched rather nicely.
    http://www.pinballuniverse.com/PinballPaints.htm

Also these to mix your own colors.
    http://www.createxcolors.com/products.html

#8 10 years ago
    Quoted from Pinfidel:

I'm a painter by trade. Remember, when EVER you touch something up. it's never going to blend in and look the same because you are putting new paint on top of old paint. This is true even if you bought a gallon of paint to paint a wall in your home.

Not always true. I recently did a touchup with the leftover paint that was originally painted 10 years prior with a PERFECT match. A lot depends on the paint quality. Graham ceramic.

Quoted from NYP:

Mainly talking about the 90's WPC games. Been trying a few different blacks over the years and none seem to be a perfect match. I go through great lengths to match all the other colors but can't seem to find a perfect match for basic black, it's either too light or just a little off. I've tried liquitex black, createx black and am looking for a good latex in the bottle black. For out of the can paints I've tried painters touch, benjamin moore and just about every brand I could think of over the years. Most are close enough but don't seem 'black' enough, anyone have a good match?

I have been using an acrylic tube type paint I bought at Hobby Lobby (Fine Touch) for early solid state playfields. The black, red, med yellow, flesh have matched perfectly straight out of the tubes. Of course this work has been cleared so the gloss gets evened out. If the black was not cleared it does show a different gloss level. MIght be worth a try at $12.99 for 24 colors in 12 ML tubes.

#9 10 years ago

If I'm touching up on a playfield and clearing over, I can still see the slight color variations from the different blacks. I don't like using testors as i like to use water based products. I think B/W must have used a very black black. None of the little bottles of acrylics come out as an exact match. Closest I have come is to go to the local paint store and buy a quart of benjamin moore black and have them empty some paint out of the can and ad about a dozen jerks of black and mix it up. Next I'm going to try to buy a small container of the pure black that comes out of their reservoir machines and see how that works.

#10 10 years ago

You should try some of the acrylic in a tube for a dollar or 2. I think it looks blacker than the original ink when it goes on. The stuff the paint store tints paint with is Not paint, just a colorant/tint (Lamp black) that can only be added up to a certain % before it alters the paint characteristics too much. I have bought it before at Menards but they no longer carry it as far as I know.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/best-black-for-touch-ups and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.