(Topic ID: 99764)

Best Bill Acceptors for pinball machines?

By achtungboyy

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

EDD806DF-312B-4550-A6B0-CAC644368486.jpeg
    88346393-3AE7-4235-BECA-85AAF6569AFD.jpeg
    BCAF3CFD-9DC7-4315-A359-B44016A36CA4.jpeg
    4728BD64-7C9D-4D74-BEDC-4487496DE7D8.jpeg
    D4456E56-2644-4C0E-B6BF-8150ABB39C90.jpeg
    D98D4931-2ADA-4DD3-AF34-EE4BDD839740.jpeg
    image-389.jpg
    image.jpg
    There are 55 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 9 years ago

I am putting some pinball machines on route and want o put bill acceptors on them. What are some good ones o put on or is there one that fits pretty much all of them. The games I am putting are some Bally/Williams games and sim newer Sterns. Thanks in advance for the info. I really appreciate it.

#2 9 years ago

MARS upstackers. Get one that can be updated to take new fives, they get changed a lot. Ones and fives at the very least. Tens and twenties is good if machine/location warrant it.

Cheap ones take ones only usually, and if ones are ever changed they might not be updateable.

LTG : )™

#3 9 years ago
    Quoted from LTG:

MARS upstackers. Get one that can be updated to take new fives, they get changed a lot. Ones and fives at the very least. Tens and twenties is good if machine/location warrant it.
    Cheap ones take ones only usually, and if ones are ever changed they might not be updateable.

Is there a specific model number or just any Mars will fit?

#4 9 years ago
    Quoted from achtungboyy:

Is there a specific model number or just any Mars will fit?

AE2400 series.

Buying on Ebay or something be aware there are models out there not for 110AC, but lower voltages for vending or counter top games.

#5 9 years ago
    Quoted from LTG:

AE2400 series.
    Buying on Ebay or something be aware there are models out there not for 110AC, but lower voltages for vending or counter top games.

Would Suzo Happ probably be the best place to get them?

#6 9 years ago
    Quoted from achtungboyy:

Would Suzo Happ probably be the best place to get them?

For new.

I'd also check out Changer Services - http://www.changerservices.com/

I got a rebuilt one from them at a great price.

#7 9 years ago
    Quoted from LTG:

For new.
    I'd also check out Changer Services - http://www.changerservices.com/
    I got a rebuilt one from them at a great price.

Thanks so much for the info. I think it's worth the money if they are going on route.

#8 9 years ago

The specific model to get is Mars AE2411-U3. It's a 115 to 120 volt AC powered unit.

#9 9 years ago
    Quoted from KenLayton:

The specific model to get is Mars AE2411-U3. It's a 115 to 120 volt AC powered unit.

Will a 500 stacker version fit in a new pin? What type of wiring harness is needed?

#10 9 years ago
    Quoted from jfh:

Will a 500 stacker version fit in a new pin? What type of wiring harness is needed?

500 stacker has a bigger bill holder on it. Sticks in more. I'd look inside the game to see if anything hanging down from the playfield gets in the way.

Harness is alreay on the stacker and in the game.

#11 9 years ago
    Quoted from LTG:

Harness is alreay on the stacker.

If Brand new in box, then Yes. If used off ebay, make sure it includes the pigtail that goes from the header on the side of the bill acceptor and ends in a 9 pin (3X3) connector.

#12 9 years ago

Not sure if the newer Pyramid 7000 series iirc ones would work as well. Less expensive than the Mars.

#13 9 years ago

I *think* the Pyramid Acceptors model Apex 7200-U23-USA will fit and work.

http://pyramidacceptors.com/apex-7000/

#14 9 years ago

I use mars, 500 stackers and just take the Dremel and remove the top corner of the bill cassette as they usually hit the playfield in the b/w games. Works like a charm.

#15 9 years ago

Bill acceptors are a must, no doubt. I would suggest you keep an eye on both your top and bottom line. Unless you have an "A" location, you probably won't need a Mars acceptor. Nothing against the Mars as I have some of those too, just that it--rightfully so, is much more expensive than the Pyramid. I have used the Pyramid Apex 5400-U52-US and it works fine in newer Stern, can't speak for B/W. If you end up going with the Mars, Lloyd's advice is spot on in going with a rebuilt unit.

If you end up placing several or more games in one location, consider a change machine instead of acceptors on each game.

#16 9 years ago

Make sure to put a security hasp over the coin door. I have been ripped off a lot. Pinball machine are supper easy to break into. Always had a Coin changer in most of my locations .

#17 9 years ago

I personally think EVERYTHING at HAPP is way too expensive I would look on ebay as many people buy games with dba and have no use for them..Or buy rebuilt from reputable people. I too have changers at locations with several machines

#19 9 years ago

Happ occasionally puts bill acceptors on sale.

#18 9 years ago

Duplicate post. Please delete.

#20 9 years ago

I have a AE2451 I removed from my WOZ when I sold it.
    Lloyd helped me in picking this model.
    I works great and was reprogrammed for the new $5s. Takes $1s and $2s as well.
    I will send it to you if you pay for the shipping. If your happy with it, I'm asking $100. True, that's the average selling cost, but ebay won't let you try it before you buy it.
    I trust you as a fellow pinsider to do the right thing once I know your happy with it.
    If your not, just send it back to me, but you will be.
    Make sure you have the connector like the one in my picture.
    WOZ had this on the coin door. This is a up stacker model.
    image-389.jpgimage-389.jpg
    image.jpgimage.jpg

#21 9 years ago

Can you fit a mars 2000 on an entropy coin door (if vending an old b/w)? I always remembered having problems with that and having to use the old mars stackerless VFM-4s

Mike

#22 9 years ago

I find that a change machine is a horrible idea. Quarters stuck in coin mechs are a non stop head ache. I go so far as to even block the slots.

#23 9 years ago
    Quoted from whocanitbenow:

I have a AE2451 I removed from my WOZ when I sold it.
    Lloyd helped me in picking this model.
    I works great and was reprogrammed for the new $5s. Takes $1s and $2s as well.
    I will send it to you if you pay for the shipping. If your happy with it, I'm asking $100. True, that's the average selling cost, but ebay won't let you try it before you buy it.
    I trust you as a fellow pinsider to do the right thing once I know your happy with it.
    If your not, just send it back to me, but you will be.
    Make sure you have the connector like the one in my picture.
    WOZ had this on the coin door. This is a up stacker model.

image.jpg 148 KB

image-389.jpg 125 KB

Pm sent

#24 9 years ago

The Entropy doors, as used on later WPC games, and all WPC 95 games (and anything else "modern" using the same door" are specifically designed for the Mars AE-2411.

The older Coin Controls doors (as used on TZ, IJ, TNG, etc) are designed for Dixie Narco USA-3 stackers.

#25 9 years ago
    Quoted from _litz:

The older Coin Controls doors (as used on TZ, IJ, TNG, etc) are designed for Dixie Narco USA-3 stackers.

Dixie-Narco is also known as ARDAC.

#26 9 years ago
    Quoted from inhomearcades:

I find that a change machine is a horrible idea. Quarters stuck in coin mechs are a non stop head ache. I go so far as to even block the slots.

Are you using stock coin mechs or Immonex coin mechs? If you haven't tried Immonex, give them a chance.

#27 9 years ago
    Quoted from BrianBannon:

Are you using stock coin mechs or Immonex coin mechs? If you haven't tried Immonex, give them a chance.

I've got a theater location with all games using Imonex token mechs. They jam just as much as other mechs.

7 years later
    #28 2 years ago

I’m gonna revive this old thread with some wisdom from Ken.

However, I’d like to ask about Data East machines. I never see them get mentioned.

I own several DE’s that I route, and they have a slot at the top of the coin door for a downstacker. What is the best one to use in this day and age? I don’t want to swap the doors, I’d buy a good downstacker and slap it in there.

#29 2 years ago
    Quoted from Isochronic_Frost:

I own several DE’s that I route, and they have a slot at the top of the coin door for a downstacker.

I'd measure, downstacker or no stacker - dump bills into the cashbox with no top.

Check out MEI for validators.

LTG : )

#30 2 years ago
    Quoted from LTG:

I'd measure, downstacker or no stacker - dump bills into the cashbox with no top.
    Check out MEI for validators.

My concern is with how they fit the bezel. Doesn’t the validator have to be a certain type to fit on a door like this? Or am I able to take any old MEI validator and put it on upside down? Because I was gonna do that

D98D4931-2ADA-4DD3-AF34-EE4BDD839740.jpegD98D4931-2ADA-4DD3-AF34-EE4BDD839740.jpeg
    #31 2 years ago

Or am I able to take any old MEI validator and put it on upside down?

To see if it fits - yes.

To see if it works, no idea if it will or not. You can try it. A bunch of bills to be sure it works good as it fills.

#32 2 years ago
    Quoted from LTG:

To see if it fits - yes.
    To see if it works, no idea if it will or not. You can try it. A bunch of bills to be sure it works good as it fills.

I’ll try it tomorrow. I thought it *had* to be a downstacker to work properly. My brief searches I didn’t see any MEI downstackers. Seems like that style isn’t widely used anymore.

#33 2 years ago
    Quoted from LTG:

To see if it fits - yes.

Isochronic_Frost this a good idea and if you can set it to take bills 4 directions that will minimize frustration of the customer

If you have a “no stacker” mind the tilt and slam tilt. If you don’t collect often enough and it earns well you’ll…..you’ll see.

#34 2 years ago
    Quoted from LTG:

To see if it fits - yes.

It doesn’t fit. The bezel is slightly too wide, by maybe 1/4” and the bolt patterns don’t line up.

4728BD64-7C9D-4D74-BEDC-4487496DE7D8.jpeg4728BD64-7C9D-4D74-BEDC-4487496DE7D8.jpegD4456E56-2644-4C0E-B6BF-8150ABB39C90.jpegD4456E56-2644-4C0E-B6BF-8150ABB39C90.jpeg

However you can see that if it DID match properly, it would just barely fit this door. It would be a tight fit.
    BCAF3CFD-9DC7-4315-A359-B44016A36CA4.jpegBCAF3CFD-9DC7-4315-A359-B44016A36CA4.jpeg

#35 2 years ago

Wait just found this thread!
    Lloyd saving the day from the past.
    https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-bill-acceptor-do-i-need-for-sega-or-data-east-games

Is Pyramid Stackerless still a good option 3 years later?

#36 2 years ago

It doesn’t fit. The bezel is slightly too wide, by maybe 1/4” and the bolt patterns don’t line up.

Looks like MARS stacker less VFM 1, cheap on Ebay usually. $1's only.

#37 2 years ago

Is Pyramid Stackerless still a good option 3 years later?

Yes. Ideal if you want more than ones.

#38 2 years ago
    Quoted from LTG:

Looks like MARS stacker less VFM 1, cheap on Ebay usually. $1's only.

Looking on eBay and not finding any stackerless options.

Quoted from LTG:

Yes. Ideal if you want more than ones.

I’d like to be able to accept 5s as well. Is there a certain model you’d suggest?

#39 2 years ago

Is there a certain model you’d suggest?

No. Check what is available and if your game has a harness for it, and the validator has a harness too. Pyramid tech support is great if you have to hard wire it in.

#40 2 years ago

https://pyramidacceptors.com/pdf/Apex_Manual.pdf

Looks like Apex 5000 for you.

#41 2 years ago

Awesome! I see a 5400 on eBay, ebay.com link: APEX BILL VALIDATOR 5400 PYRAMID

Does that look right? I’ll give it a whirl if so.

#42 2 years ago

Does that look right?

9 pin connector. Most likely 110AC. Price looks good. Updated to take more than ones.

#43 2 years ago

Does that look right?

Ask the seller for height. It might be too tall for your door.

#44 2 years ago
    Quoted from LTG:

Ask the seller for height. It might be too tall for your door.

Now I’m understanding.
    So I can buy a different bezel to put on the face of that validator, looks like the VFM style #2 will work.
    I’ll buy it and try it. Worst case I put throw it in a Williams pin maybe a soda machine.

#45 2 years ago

DE doors were made for the VFW-1. What a pile of garbage! I think am ICT will fit that door. A Mars 2000 bezel made for a Virtuo jukebox will too? The Pyramid should work fine. We bought some AC change machines over the past few years that shipped with them. They didn’t last more than a year, but it’s probably because they were running $400-500/week. Or just buy a new coin door from Happ and use an AE2400 or 2600. @isochronic_frost, in your pic you’re using a VN series DBA. That’s a vending interface DBA. It wont enable unless you use a jumper on the 24 pin extended harness, and it won’t pulse because it’s made to serial interface with a changer.

#46 2 years ago
    Quoted from ryanbrooks:

DE doors were made for the VFW-1. What a pile of garbage! I think am ICT will fit that door. A Mars 2000 bezel made for a Virtuo jukebox will too? The Pyramid should work fine. We bought some AC change machines over the past few years that shipped with them. They didn’t last more than a year, but it’s probably because they were running $400-500/week. Or just buy a new coin door from Happ and use an AE2400 or 2600. Isochronic_Frost, in your pic you’re using a VN series DBA. That’s a vending interface DBA. It wont enable unless you use a jumper on the 24 pin extended harness, and it won’t pulse because it’s made to serial interface with a changer.

Thank you for so much info! Yes, this one already has the little enable jumper on it. I usually buy the AE’s however I really want to slap a DBV on my DE games just to have it without swapping the door. It’ll take them half a year to get $500. It’s mainly just to snag the handful of people who don’t have change and cover for when the changers jam (happened last week. All 3 jammed and they’re not my changers)
    I will buy the Pyramid, and report back. Interested in that Virtuo bezel you mentioned. What’s the model number for it? I also found some other validators that might work. Very tempted to buy a few and see what works and what doesn’t.

This is baby’s first time trying to put DBVs on the pins so I’m excited and overwhelmed. Thanks for the help, guys! Really hoping this boosts earnings on these old games. I already dislike that the custom currency doesn’t show fractional credits but 50¢ was killing me!

#47 2 years ago

This is baby’s first time trying to put DBVs on the pins so I’m excited and overwhelmed. Thanks for the help, guys! Really hoping this boosts earnings on these old games. I already dislike that the custom currency doesn’t show fractional credits but 50¢ was killing me!

You'll do fine. And income should go up.

#48 2 years ago

Stopped at the shop and got out the calipers. VFM-1 and Pyramid Apex bezels are both approx 2.9” wide. Mars and ICT are both approx 3”. The smaller Mars bezel for the Virtuo jukebox I though would work will not.

#49 2 years ago
    Quoted from ryanbrooks:

Stopped at the shop and got out the calipers. VFM-1 and Pyramid Apex bezels are both approx 2.9” wide. Mars and ICT are both approx 3”. The smaller Mars bezel for the Virtuo jukebox I though would work will not.

The opening on the DE is exactly 3” so a 2.9 is the ticket. It’s 1 15/16”
    I’ve got the apex/pyramid and a parts VFM I found to test the fit. Couldn’t find any other DE’s that have this stupid style door. I will be glad to never have to deal with this particular style again.

88346393-3AE7-4235-BECA-85AAF6569AFD.jpeg88346393-3AE7-4235-BECA-85AAF6569AFD.jpeg
    1 week later
    #50 2 years ago

The opening on the DE is exactly 3” so a 2.9 is the ticket. It’s 1 15/16”
    I’ve got the apex/pyramid and a parts VFM I found to test the fit. Couldn’t find any other DE’s that have this stupid style door. I will be glad to never have to deal with this particular style again.
    [quoted image]

Did you ever find one that works?

There are 55 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/best-bill-acceptors-for-pinball-machines?hl=ryanbrooks and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.