Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 30 posts
  • 26 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by Mfsrc791
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pins (resized).jpg
    #1 7 years ago

I am advising a well-established owner of multiple sports bars about the best pin titles for a new barcade that he's opening. He's interested in a mix of late 80s titles and above--games that would look good and be decent earners in a college town (State College, PA, home to Penn State) that brings in a lot of students and alumni, especially on football weekends. Lots of alcohol flow. A local vendor would be buying and operating the games.

What would be, say, your top 5-10 titles? I'm not looking for analysis or debate--just title suggestions that I will pass on to the barcade owner. He's looking for upright video games too, so feel free to throw in some ideas for those as well.

Here are my top 20 ideas:

NFL (Steelers backglass)
    NBA
    WCS
    SS
    MB
    AFM
    RFM
    Star Trek (Stern)
    Wizard of Oz
    LOTR
    POTC
    Pinbot
    BoP
    TWD
    Getaway:HS2
    SPP
    Iron Man
    NGG
    TAF
    Taxi

#3 7 years ago

I would skip Wizard of Oz. Good game, but not a great bar theme.

Ghostbusters would be good for that crowd.
    Simpsons Pinball Party
    Family Guy
    Star Trek TNG
    Metallica
    EBD or Breakshot
    Nascar
    Indy 500

#4 7 years ago

Need to know the crowd. Is it more of a college crowd or alum, if alum you need to know average age. I say this since the older crowd would be into SS games.

#5 7 years ago

Metallica Pro and Star Trek Pro are both VERY good earners, from my experience. Also, to my surprise, Big Buck Hunters is a very good earner. Game of Thrones and TWD are both very good as well.

#6 7 years ago

Top 5-10 for earnings and drawing people in a bar environment I would say...

AC/DC
    Game of Thrones
    Medieval Madness
    Metallica
    Big Buck Hunter (Buck Hunter anything does well in a bar)
    Iron Man
    Walking Dead
    Family Guy or Simpsons Pinball Party
    LOTR or The Hobbit are supposedly doing very well despite long ball times. Someone is always always on them and you can charge higher, no wasted time.
    Maybe something like IJ or TAF

Edit: For upright games, maybe consider a multi-cab like those made by Paradox Arcade Systems.

#7 7 years ago

South Park

#8 7 years ago

Got would be popular with the crowd and is a very bright attractive playfield that will act like a mosquitto magnet to drunk college kids. ( yes this happened to me lol)

#9 7 years ago

Creature From the Black Lagoon
    Guns n Roses

#11 7 years ago

PBR Can Crusher

#12 7 years ago

South Park and Jurassic Park kill on location. They aren't the greatest games but people play the shit outta em

#13 7 years ago
    Quoted from InfiniteLives:

South Park and Jurassic Park kill on location. They aren't the greatest games but people play the shit outta em

I have a Jurassic Park on location at lowryparcade in Tampa that does great. Flashy game and who doesn't want to see a dinosaur eat a pinball???

#14 7 years ago

Do you expect inebriated college sports fans to meander over to them and stick dollar bills in them or are they just background dressing?

#15 7 years ago

Advisor seeks advice. Sounds like a well thought out business. Best of luck!

#16 7 years ago

Met, AC/DC, TAF, Scared Stiff, Champion Pub, TWD

#17 7 years ago

+ 1 for SouthPark. It's a great game for a bar. I'd also put a Funhouse in there for Nostalgia.

#18 7 years ago

Eight Ball Deluxe gets my vote for the 80s pin I like on location.

#19 7 years ago
    Quoted from King_Jelly:

I have a Jurassic Park on location at lowryparcade in Tampa that does great. Flashy game and who doesn't want to see a dinosaur eat a pinball???

I'd rather see it eat a lawyer.

#20 7 years ago

I would stick with titles that are easy to maintain.
    In:
    Iron man
    AFM
    Getaway
    Acdc
    EBD

.. and stay away from higher maintainance machines like MB, LOTR

#21 7 years ago

One point to consider is how much you'll be charging per game on the machines. You might want to stay away from expensive machines like WOZ in a sports bar where you have to charge $1.00 per game (at least everywhere I've seen it that's what it's been set to) and go for cheaper games where you can charge $.50 per game.

Edit: So I saw that this is actually for a barcade and not a sports bar, but I've seen a lot of people balk at the $1.00 per game price at the barcade and go play something else.

#22 7 years ago
    Quoted from JLebowski:

I would skip Wizard of Oz. Good game, but not a great bar theme.

This would be incorrect. WOZ is one of the best money makers out there. I have seen it at several college barcades and it is a great earner. You don't personally have to like the title yourself. It's not about that. It is about earning potential.

#23 7 years ago

Metallica pro
    Southpark
    Party zone
    Harley davidson 2nd edition
    Playboy
    Spiderman vault
    Are the highest earning pins I've personally ran in my bar locations,If I had to pick one it would be my met pro!Waiting for my Rob zombie and suspect it will do well in the same environs.I don't have an acdc but would consider it also.Just my 2 cents,Flip on!

#24 7 years ago

Just to wrap up this thread and thank you all for your great suggestions, below is the top 20 wish list I have passed on to the barcade owner. This list takes into account some of the owner's personal choices as well, and accommodates the fact that certain titles could already be available for sale locally. Also, just to clarify, this will be a two-floor set-up also attached to a sports bar and restaurant, with a bar on both floors and including pool tables, video games, jukebox, etc. It will attract college students and their visiting alumni parents, in an already well-established "sports bar" town. I used "barcade" for this thread loosely--I'm sure others would define "barcade" differently.

Your input really did help me decide on some titles I hadn't already considered, so thanks for that. Here is the list:

Pinbot
    Taxi
    The Machine: Bride of Pinbot
    Terminator 2: Judgment Day
    Party Zone
    Fish Tales
    The Addams Family
    Getaway: High Speed II
    Jurassic Park
    Attack from Mars
    Scared Stiff
    South Park
    Revenge from Mars
    Lord of the Rings
    NBA
    Bick Buck Hunter
    X-Men
    Metallica
    Wizard of Oz, Emerald City Limited Edition
    Medieval Madness

They hope to route 10 titles at a time. We'll see how this all works out. If it works out well, I'll be playing there for sure.

#25 7 years ago

See if you can add an Ice Cold Beer - it's addicting, and once someone starts playing, it becomes a crowd pleaser.

1 month later
    #26 7 years ago

I missed this post last month. All I'm going to say is that if they put in a Metallica Pro, they better turn the volume up on it. After playing it nearly silently at Chronic Town locally, I was amazed at how much more fun it was with the sound turned up when I played it at Pinhead Amusements.

I live in the same town as Joe, so whatever he convinces the barcade to buy, I get to play.

3 weeks later
    #27 7 years ago

Here are the titles that ended up at the barcade:

Eight Ball
    Scared Stiff
    Lethal Weapon 3
    Rescue 911
    Medieval Madness (remake)
    Getaway, High Speed II
    Hook
    Roller Coaster Tycoon
    Royal Rumble
    Harley Davidson
    South Park
    Revenge from Mars

. . . and more to come . . .

pins (resized).jpgpins (resized).jpg

#28 7 years ago

fun line up!

#29 7 years ago

And so far, the students really gravitate to South Park, Royal Rumble, and Rescue 911.

Still coming: Fish Tales, Addams Family, Stargate, AC/DC, and Theatre of Magic.

Also a dozen vids and eight pool tables.

#30 7 years ago
    Quoted from JOESCHALL:

And so far, the students really gravitate to South Park, Royal Rumble, and Rescue 911.
    Still coming: Fish Tales, Addams Family, Stargate, AC/DC, and Theatre of Magic.
    Also a dozen vids and eight pool tables.

Dam i wish you were closer. Sounds fun! Roxys arc4de opened up in boston recently so thats my next destination. Good luck!

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/best-barcade-titles and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.