Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 67 posts
  • 57 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by Crile1
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_20180507_202302018 (resized).jpg
    There are 67 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 5 years ago

I have had to dial back my budget for the time being and wanted to know what you guys thought was the most "bang for your buck" you could get from a post 1990 DMD machine. There is a bang for your buck feature on this site, but the list is filled with electromechanical stuff that would be hard to maintain. I really like AFM, but that's obviously pricey. When I say bang for your buck, World Cup Soccer 94 (WCS) and Fish Tales (FT) are at the top of my list for around $3,000. I wanted to know what other games you would put up as being good games at around that price-range.

Right now I'm leaning towards picking up a Fish Tales and trading up around $500 every 6 months to a year until I get an AFM... That way I get to experience new machines and eventually get what I really want while still getting to enjoy the hobby over time.

Thanks!

#2 5 years ago

When I started, everyone joked that the first thing I had to do upon getting my first machine is to start making room for the next one. But it's true! You'll want to expand your collection just like everyone else, not trade it all away.

Also, I'm not sure the trading idea would work. The reason you can get Fish Tales for less than the next tier of games is because its perceived value is lower than those games. Maybe you're a great salesman but if it were so easy to trade up like that, I think everyone would be doing it?

Good luck with FT and/or WCS! In a perfect world, maybe you end up with both.

#3 5 years ago

Bram Stoker Dracula, Doctor Who, Who Dunnit. These might fit your budget.

LTG : )

#4 5 years ago

Bsd

#5 5 years ago

Wcs doctor who getaway fish tales jackbot Jurassic Park

#6 5 years ago

BSD, Doctor who , Jurassic park, Tommy, Dirty Harry, Terminator 3, Demo man , Judge Dredd, Johnny Mnemonic, and Shadow.

#7 5 years ago

World Cup Soccer. I purchased mine for cheap and it is always a favorite for non pinball guests when they come over.

#8 5 years ago
    Quoted from Flamingo43:

When I started, everyone joked that the first thing I had to do upon getting my first machine is to start making room for the next one. But it's true! You'll want to expand your collection just like everyone else, not trade it all away.
    Also, I'm not sure the trading idea would work. The reason you can get Fish Tales for less than the next tier of games is because its perceived value is lower than those games. Maybe you're a great salesman but if it were so easy to trade up like that, I think everyone would be doing it?
    Good luck with FT and/or WCS! In a perfect world, maybe you end up with both.

Totally understand... but if you had a nice Whitewater worth 4k and I had a nice Fish Tales worth 3k... I could offer you Fish Tales and 1K in cash and that would be a fair trade (I may off on actual values for the games, but you get the idea). This way after an initial investment I could drop a thousand a year and slowly move up in game. In 5 years I could get anything I wanted... At least that's the idea.

As to everyone else, thanks for the input! Looking into these now. Jurassic Park is now on my short list for sure...after some research. Gotta find one I could play. Kids would definitely dig it.

#9 5 years ago
    Quoted from SantaEatsCheese:

Totally understand... but if you had a nice Whitewater worth 4k and I had a nice Fish Tales worth 3k... I could offer you Fish Tales and 1K in cash and that would be a fair trade (I may off on actual values for the games, but you get the idea). This way after an initial investment I could drop a thousand a year and slowly move up in game. In 5 years I could get anything I wanted... At least that's the idea.
    As to everyone else, thanks for the input! Looking into these now. Jurassic Park is now on my short list for sure...after some research. Gotta find one I could play. Kids would definitely dig it.

You would have an easier time just selling the game for 3k and buying the other for 4. I suppose it happens but I would think most people are looking to do the same as you and not trade down and get cash too. Unless it just happens to be the right title and the right seller.

#10 5 years ago

I agree with the lists. I just got a WCS94 and think this is one of the best values for a DMD (yes I have AFM, LOTR,and a TAFG, so I get the higher end)

I do have to question the non-EM decision however. The rule of late seems to be: buy it for $400, put a lot of mechanical work into it, and like cockroaches, it’ll run forever. You will have a solid game and get a whole bunch of mech learning along the way. It will translate back to a DMD game on the non-electronic side.

My two cents worth...

#11 5 years ago

My first game was LAH.... absolutely love it, and will never get rid of it. 7 ball multiball, 3 magnets under the playfield, shaker, crane, smart bomb, the ripper, good call outs - UGLY art package. These days, it's hard to find one under $2k, but great bang for your buck.

I then got an x-files cheap, and traded it after a few months for Getaway. That one had too few shots to keep me interested so I traded it for an HUO T3 which I like better than the other 2. My latest pin is a SST which I got for $2k. also a fun game with lots of shots, but I haven't had it long enough to say how it compares to the other ones I have.

My advice is rather than focus on a single machine, keep your eye out for ones that come on the market and are reasonably priced. If you see one that intrigues you, check the reviews here, and if it's a good price jump on it. After you have it for a few months, you'll know what you like and don't like.

But if you truly want the best bang for your buck, you're probably going to be looking at Data East or Saga... they don't get a lot of love so prices stay down, but are often fun games that can pack alot of features in.

#12 5 years ago

NASCAR! If you're talking about bang for buck in terms of stuff to do, I don't think WCS and FT will keep you entertained for long. While fun games, there isn't a ton to them. LAH mentioned would be a great choice too.

#13 5 years ago

the best way to "trade up" is to sell the game then use that money with the extra cash you have accumulated in that time frame. This is precisely how I got my Stern Star Trek. No way was I gonna drop that much coin on a game at one time but I slowly bought/sold/traded up and eventually sold a Batman Forever and with that cash traded it with a Bride of Pinbot for my ST.

Just dont pigeon hole yourself where you want to get X game for your Y game as that really limits your opportunities

#14 5 years ago

I know the B/W fan club will rake me over the coals saying this, but I think that some System 3 games really offer a ton of bang for not that much buck.

I really like Wipe Out, T’eed Off, Cue Ball Wizard, and Stargate. And they can all be found under $2k (except for maybe stargate).

But if you must buy B/W, BSD and The Shadow, while clearly creeping up in value, still offer a lot of value. Honorable mentions include Demolition Man, T2, JackBot, and No Fear.

#15 5 years ago

NBA Fastbreak is usually a lower priced game but it’s super fun and seems to slowly be going up in value as more collectors seek it out.

#16 5 years ago

Wcs and bsd are still some of the best pins for 3500 or less in great condition.....

#17 5 years ago

HSII is a lot of fun, but I may be a little biased.

If you see any of the WPC games pop up close to you for <$3k I’d jump on it

#18 5 years ago

Best value, Has been and probably always will be Tales from the crypt. It's one of the most complete games ever made. Great dots, drop targets, spinners an inverted ramp and a pretty good ruleset. The artwork gets a lot of criticism, but I think it fits the game perfectly. Plus I think it has one of the coolest toppers around too. DE's best pin.

#19 5 years ago

+1 NBAFB.

#20 5 years ago

I love my Demo Man.

#21 5 years ago

I would have said Dredd... but I just got a Shadow and man that’s a hell of a game. Maybe they’ve gone up a little but it’s got a lot going on for a low 3k game.

#22 5 years ago

Another vote for each of Getaway, No Fear, Doctor Who.

#23 5 years ago

No Fear gets old terribly quick. Demo Man, Doctor Who, BSD, for sure good value.

#24 5 years ago

BSD, Getaway, Demo man. Those are the 3 bang for the buck games in my lineup. I’d recommend any of them.

#25 5 years ago

Airborne and Jackbot.

#26 5 years ago
    Quoted from SantaEatsCheese:

A nice white water for 4k? Maybe 5 years ago!

#28 5 years ago

NASCAR...mousin around....

#30 5 years ago

My pick is RoadShow - I bought it as a starter machine and wasn’t disappointed.

#31 5 years ago

They are all really good suggestions for pins to buy. However making a list of pins that you’re wanting and waiting for one to come up for sale in your area, and Hoping that you’re the first person to see the ad or be told about it would never work, at least in Atlanta.

I suggest that you join a local pinball league. Many pins are sold or traded privately and are never listed for sale. Sometimes people have pins that they don’t play very much any more because they have a large collection. They have no motivation to sell them; they don’t need the money, they don’t want the tire kickers answering their CL ad, etc. Network at these tournaments and you might find one of these titles. Just be open to other titles as well.

#32 5 years ago

Breakshot, usually around $1700 or less.
    And it's a great underated game. Multiplayer stealing Multiballs is a blast.

Not the deepest rules but good DMD animations, a wizard mode. 2 multiball modes.
    3 modes of gameplay till wiz mode. Physical ball lock, kick out hole.3 flippers, and you can cradle with the upper flipper. Newton and captive ball.
    6 drop targets. Orbit diverters. Probably one of the coolest locks in pinball. And it plays fast.
    Just no ramps.

#33 5 years ago
    Quoted from erak:

Breakshot, usually around $1700 or less.
    And it's a great underated game. Multiplayer stealing Multiballs is a blast.
    Not the deepest rules but good DMD animations, a wizard mode. 2 multiball modes.
    3 modes of gameplay till wiz mode. Physical ball lock, kick out hole.3 flippers, and you can cradle with the upper flipper. Newton and captive ball.
    6 drop targets. Orbit diverters. Probably one of the coolest locks in pinball. And it plays fast.
    Just no ramps.

Show me a Breakshot for $1700

#35 5 years ago
    Quoted from snakesnsparklers:

Show me a Breakshot for $1700

I bought mine in Allentown this year for $1700.
    And the year before, one there was $1500.

IMG_20180507_202302018 (resized).jpgIMG_20180507_202302018 (resized).jpg
    #36 5 years ago

I say shadow. But bsd, doctor who would be my backups.

I also fully agree with the league play local players networking. That is just fun anyways.

#37 5 years ago

The other thing is when I get bsd shadow and doctor who they will not be leaving again. I don’t want them all but...

Also wanted to mention to prove the networking point. I have a want list game centaur.

I have three friends who own one now. If they ever get rid of theirs, I could probably buy them first. I’m in no hurry though. Makes it easier to be patient. I enjoy other pinball while waiting.

#39 5 years ago

Nbafb for sure it’s fun with plenty to do to become champion

#40 5 years ago

I highly second this one. Poor man's Addams Family. Trust me when I say, a decent one can be had for $2250.

My Demo Man was an impulse buy at Allentown. I told myself I was leaving with a game, and I decided on that. Very glad I did.

The ramps are so much fun to combo, it's a game you can mod and deck out easily if you so choose, and the triggers, while not appealing to me, everyone else seems to love them.

It's an immersive game, with something for everyone.

#41 5 years ago

I've owned my BSD for 4+ years and it has outlasted a number of other machines that have come and gone.

Dirty Harry is a pin that people are starting to pay attention to. For years it got no respect. It may be possible to find one still under 3k.

#42 5 years ago
    Quoted from SilverballSleuth:

I highly second this one. Poor man's Addams Family. Trust me when I say, a decent one can be had for $2250.
    My Demo Man was an impulse buy at Allentown. I told myself I was leaving with a game, and I decided on that. Very glad I did.
    The ramps are so much fun to combo, it's a game you can mod and deck out easily if you so choose, and the triggers, while not appealing to me, everyone else seems to love them.
    It's an immersive game, with something for everyone.

2250 decent mp? No way. Prob 2700 now.
    This thread is interesting to see what people think these lower tier titles cost.

#43 5 years ago
    #44 5 years ago

I think roller Stern Roller Coaster Tycoon and Bally Party Zone are great for their price points.

#45 5 years ago

If you have kids - WCS is excellent with the goal callouts and smooth Ramps.

Getaway - more massed produced game, so more available. Kids love the supercharger.

FT seems like a good value, but I don’t personally like it at all, but this is not about me this is about you.

#46 5 years ago
    Quoted from EvanDickson:

Another vote for each of Getaway, No Fear, Doctor Who.

Getaways go for close to high 2k now, so no...

#47 5 years ago
    Quoted from Brian541:

I think roller Stern Roller Coaster Tycoon and Bally Party Zone are great for their price points.

Party Zone, for real?
    Maybe at sub 2k.

#48 5 years ago

Why DMD? I think System 11 games give you the most bang for your buck.

That said, I agree, rather than looking for a certain few games, stay tuned to what turns up. Maybe have a list of 20 - 30 possible pins with approximate prices in mind so you can act QUICKLY if one turns up locally. Did I mention to move quickly? Almost any decent priced pin seems to disappear within the hour.

#49 5 years ago

T3 has fantastic flow and the metal ramps are smooth as butter, under-rated imo
    Black Rose has one of the best layouts in pinball-super fun game
    TFTC-Awesome layout and cheesy fun

#50 5 years ago

How do you feel about Gottliebs? Stargate, Barb Wire and Mario Andretti can be found for $2000 or less and can be surprisingly fun.

There are 67 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/best-bang-for-your-buck-dmd-machine?hl=phat_jay and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.