Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 39 posts
  • 29 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 29 days ago by d0n
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Flying_Turns_BB.jpg
    DSCN0046_R.jpg
    9310.gif
    Pic596.png
    Backglass.jpg
    Backglass2.jpg
    badcatsbackbox.jpg
    400.gif
    robotwhite.gif

#1 9 years ago

badcatsbackbox.jpg

Alright, guys. I'm wondering what you think might be the best backbox animation of all time. I'm thinking about something like Black Hole or Bad Cats (not interested in gameplay, just back box animation). So, let's hear it. What do you think?

robotwhite.gif

Interested,
    Ryan Claytor
    Elephant Eater Comics
    www.ElephantEater.com

400.gif

#2 9 years ago

Cyclone backglass animation fits in perfectly with the theme.

#3 9 years ago

Rocky and Bullwinkle.the back box animation fits well with the theme.

#4 9 years ago

There is so much going on in that bad cats backglass...Python in the bottom right corner, is pretty funny.

#5 9 years ago

Gottlieb Spirit is pretty cool.

Does the running-man-unit on an EM baseball game count? Awesome feature on my Williams Upper Deck.

But I do think R&B with the different animals coming out of the hat is great. "WRONG HAT!"

#6 9 years ago

Black Hole.....................................................................

#7 9 years ago

Big Guns has a large animated backglass. It has an interactive bagatelle, sparkling disco ball and the engines on the big guns look to be working when the lights strobe behind them. Artwork is awesome , too.
    Scared Stiff also has an interactive wheel that is cool.

#8 9 years ago

It can be tricky to see if you don't know about it, but on Bad Cats, when the chick bends over to swat the cat, you can see a tattoo on her butt

#9 9 years ago

Some old EM have beautiful animations. One I remember is "Dancing Lady" (1966) with its ballerina. Old-fashioned but appealing. Others are really nice - will need to do some research!

More recently (1984), Zaccaria Devil Riders: a motorcycle performs loops each time the ball enters the upper playfield.

#10 9 years ago

Scared Stiff because of the great software involved in the bonus and scoring features.

#12 9 years ago

Some old EM have beautiful animations. One I remember is "Dancing Lady" (1966) with its ballerina. Old-fashioned but appealing. Others are really nice - will need to do some research!

More recently (1984), Zaccaria Devil Riders: a motorcycle performs loops each time the ball enters the upper playfield.

Hi jlm33,

Re: old EM animations, I completely agree. I was actually trying to think of the name of the pin with a set of horses in the backbox. I think it might be hayburners. *looks it up* YES! I can't believe I remembered that. Here's an image:

Backglass2.jpg

Also, I just looked-up Dancing Lady. That looks really classy. Thanks for the tip.

RE: Zaccaria Games, I've had the pleasure of playing Devil Riders, but not any others. Do any of their other pins have backbox animation?

Everyone: Please keep these suggestions coming. Thanks a lot!

Sincerely,
    Ryan Claytor
    Elephant Eater Comics
    http://www.ElephantEater.com

#13 9 years ago

I like bad cats and cirqus voltaire.

#14 9 years ago

So, I saw that Rocky and Bullwinkle was mentioned a couple times. I'm sorta bummed because I just played this game at the PHoF last month, but HAD NO IDEA there was backglass animation! ...guess I shoulda looked up, or done better, or something. *LOL* Anyhow, what exactly happens? Does Bullwinkle pull something out of that hat? Explanation would be grand...a picture would be AMAZING.

Backglass.jpg

Again,
    Ryan Claytor
    Elephant Eater Comics

#15 9 years ago

There are three animal plastics: rhino, rabbit and lion. Really neat.

Pic596.png

#16 9 years ago

Giga-Puddi!!!

#17 9 years ago

"Fire that cannon!"

- Love that game.

#18 9 years ago
    Quoted from mnpinball:

Scared Stiff because of the great software involved in the bonus and scoring features.

If thats the case then Banzi Run would have to be it but I assume this thread is not about the player interacting with the back box.

#19 9 years ago
    Quoted from RyanClaytor:

Hi jlm33,
    Re: old EM animations, I completely agree. I was actually trying to think of the name of the pin with a set of horses in the backbox. I think it might be hayburners. *looks it up* YES! I can't believe I remembered that.

Hi Ryan,

Great one! I wanted to find more and checked the Pinball Compendium 1930s-1960s for more examples. Here is a non exhaustive list, deduced from the beautiful pictures in that book:

1960 Williams Jungle
    1966 Williams Casanova (a captive ball for extra bonus)
    1966 Gottlieb Masquerade
    1966 Gottlieb Cross Town
    1967 Williams Apollo (Again, a captive ball for extra bonus)
    1967 Williams Derby Days (Horses racing). I love that one: http://www.ipdb.org/showpic.pl?id=667&picno=30195

I then realized one could use the Advanced search feature in ipdb, with speciality = Mechanical Backbox Animation:

No less than 173 matches, the first in 1935! Also helped me to answer your question concerning Zaccarias: Two other listed:
    - Spooky (1987)
    - Magic Castle (1984)

#20 9 years ago

ss and r&b

#21 9 years ago

There are three animal plastics: rhino, rabbit and lion. Really neat.

Oh wow. Great vid find and plastic example, OTTOgd. So, the animals that come out of the hat actually CHANGE!??! <--(*mind-splosion*)

I wanted to find more and checked the Pinball Compendium 1930s-1960s for more examples. Here is a non exhaustive list, deduced from the beautiful pictures in that book:

1960 Williams Jungle
    1966 Williams Casanova (a captive ball for extra bonus)
    1966 Gottlieb Masquerade
    1966 Gottlieb Cross Town
    1967 Williams Apollo (Again, a captive ball for extra bonus)
    1967 Williams Derby Days (Horses racing). I love that one: http://www.ipdb.org/showpic.pl?id=667&picno=30195

Oh, man. Jlm33, you are so awesome. I can't wait to pour over some of these titles on IPDB.

Also...

I then realized one could use the Advanced search feature in ipdb, with speciality = Mechanical Backbox Animation:

No less than 173 matches, the first in 1935!

9310.gif

Oh my GAW-UHD!!! You're kidding me! How am I ever gonna get through all these???? *SOOOO EXCITED* God bless the internet.

Also helped me to answer your question concerning Zaccarias: Two other listed:
    - Spooky (1987)
    - Magic Castle (1984)

STOP WITH THE AWESOME!!! I CAN BARELY STAND IT!!!

Seriously, many thanks, jlm33!
    Ryan Claytor
    Elephant Eater Comics

#22 9 years ago

Black hole is a good one, my favorite is Scared Stiff and the worst is CV.

#23 9 years ago

I was going to mention gtb spirit as well.

How about midways flying turns, now that's a good one.

#24 9 years ago
    Quoted from hassellcastle:

I was going to mention gtb spirit as well.
    How about midways flying turns, now that's a good one.

You mean this?
    DSCN0046_R.jpg
    Flying_Turns_BB.jpg

#25 9 years ago

I like the transporter effect on ST25.

#26 9 years ago

Diner has the five characters that you have to serve during the game jiggling around on little springs inside the backglass.

#27 9 years ago

Buckaroo / Cow Poke (AAB version) for sure. The horse bucks and kicks the cowboy, who then spins. Awesome game that I'd love to own someday. The first EM that I really fell in love with and showed me that they can be just as great as the modern machines...in some ways better.

Hayburners 1 and 2 are pretty awesome also. Never had the pleasure of playing an original, but 2 was a lot of fun and the animation adds a whole different dimension to the game.

#28 9 years ago

Yep...that's the one.

#29 9 years ago
    Quoted from mojozone:

There is so much going on in that Bad Cats backglass...Python in the bottom right corner, is pretty funny.

... with a flipper tail...

There's a lot going on in the artwork on the Play-feild to. I swear, if you've ever had a cat, you'll find either one that looks like it or that's doing something on the game that reminds you of it.

8 years later
    #30 77 days ago

Resurrecting this thread. It is sad that backbox animations are extinct. I'd rather have old school animations instead of a huge video screen with CGI computer animations. Does anyone else miss old school backbox animations?

The best for sure are Cyclone and SS. These are integral to the game.

I do like Hurricane's spinning roller coaster as well.

Do light animations count - Jackpot value in BOP displayed on bride's leg, weird but cool! Picking your prize on Junkyard.

#31 77 days ago

Diner.

With a small piece of tape you can make it (insert NSFW verbiage here)

#32 77 days ago

Huh?

#34 75 days ago

Definitely NSFW!

#35 75 days ago

Was this resurrected so Ryan could design another watch?

#36 75 days ago
    Quoted from kevmad:

Resurrecting this thread. It is sad that backbox animations are extinct. I'd rather have old school animations instead of a huge video screen with CGI computer animations. Does anyone else miss old school backbox animations?
    The best for sure are Cyclone and SS. These are integral to the game.
    I do like Hurricane's spinning roller coaster as well.
    Do light animations count - Jackpot value in BOP displayed on bride's leg, weird but cool! Picking your prize on Junkyard.

We've started a small arcade museum recently, and Gottlieb's Dancing Lady is played as much if not more than any other pinball and that includes MM and MB. Morning, noon and night someone is playing DL, females 3/4 of the time maybe. We have Volley and Abra ca Dabra on either side, Surf Champ, etc... all considered the best EM's, and the general public is more often drawn to Dancing Lady. Other than the roto target, you'd have to credit the backbox animation. Like others have mentioned, SS, RnB, NBAFB, CV, LCA!, etc etc - even in the 80s/90's, they recognized the backbox animation appeal to the general public.

LCD animations steal the show now, but I still believe mechanical animation's are a feature which could make a machine stand out and have an extra layer of personality and depth, if done correctly. It doesn't have to be Bad Cats or T3, look at something as simple as Ice Fever, a miniature puck flying across the corner of the back-glass. That tiny little mech: so simple and yet adds so much!!

Long live the backglass animations! Hope to see more soon, LCD's be darned!

#37 75 days ago

Personal favorite Terminator 3's RPG backglass.

#38 70 days ago
    Quoted from mechslave:

We've started a small arcade museum recently, and Gottlieb's Dancing Lady is played as much if not more than any other pinball and that includes MM and MB. Morning, noon and night someone is playing DL, females 3/4 of the time maybe. We have Volley and Abra ca Dabra on either side, Surf Champ, etc... all considered the best EM's, and the general public is more often drawn to Dancing Lady. Other than the roto target, you'd have to credit the backbox animation. Like others have mentioned, SS, RnB, NBAFB, CV, LCA!, etc etc - even in the 80s/90's, they recognized the backbox animation appeal to the general public.

I used to think Dancing Lady was an odd theme for pinball. A friend sold me one cheaply and it grew on me fast. Charming and lots of fun. I found it better than a lot of the desirable wedge heads too.

1 month later
    #39 29 days ago

Was T3 the last backbox animation ever in pinball?
    NBA fastbreak backbox flipper is cool.
    CV is kind of boring.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside