Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 49 posts
  • 38 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by Yelobird
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 6 years ago

I'm always amazed at the attract mode on my F-14. The music and lights, especially those beacons. It definitely crabs your attention and lights up the room. Growing up in arcades I love the sounds. It's a shame my Sterns just sit there all quite secretly wishing they were made like they used to be. What are some of your favorites that you are impressed with?

#2 6 years ago

I love Cyclone...”hey you with the face”

#3 6 years ago

The light show on TNA is amazing in attract mode. That’s the first one I’ve really noticed to be honest. Pinball Magic attract mode is cool too.

Least favorite?

“Quit talking and start chalking”. Yeah I turned that off.

I prefer sounds only if you hit the flipper button. If you’ve just played a game and it has sound for a bit, that’s cool. Just not constantly if not being played.

#4 6 years ago

STLE is stunning in attract mode...

#5 6 years ago

I think there's a great charm and fun with random attract noises. Well said Buzz about modern games that just sit there, quiet, just lite up.
    Addams will yell at you every once in awhile.
    Gilligan's plays the whole song every 30 min. But its the Bally twinkle noise i like about every 15 min.
    Black Rose does the whole pirate song every hour.
    Totan will randomly have a call out.
    I had to turn the Indy music off, not good and to often.
    Fire, love random siren, clicking, horse noises.
    Wish Fish tales had one, it doesn't.

#6 6 years ago

AFM when it darkens the playfield and fires the strobe under the mothership.

Most annoying as hell: Centaur when it kicks 5 balls out onto the playfield every 5 minutes...besides being annoying it's bad for the playfield. Luckily it can be shut off.

Quoted from chuckwurt:

I prefer sounds only if you hit the flipper button. If you’ve just played a game and it has sound for a bit, that’s cool. Just not constantly if not being played.

I have two games I can't turn off sounds in attract mode, T2 and Zac Time Machine. On T2 there is an option to turn it off but it does nothing.

#7 6 years ago

So many have great light shows for sure. I'm a weirdo for sure, but love a bunch of sounds to go with my light show. My wife can only take so much of F-14 it will do little attracts but then will go into a 10 min come play me.

#8 6 years ago
    Quoted from Buzz:

So many have great light shows for sure. I'm a weirdo for sure, but love a bunch of sounds to go with my light show. My wife can only take so much of F-14 it will do little attracts but then will go into a 10 min come play me.

I love the game over show on f14. Makes me want to hit start over and over again.

#9 6 years ago

I like the GI from BSD and DrWho

#10 6 years ago
    Quoted from chuckwurt:

The light show on TNA is amazing in attract mode. That’s the first one I’ve really noticed to be honest. Pinball Magic attract mode is cool too.
    Least favorite?
    “Quit talking and start chalking”. Yeah I turned that off.

I second TNA. Initially, I thought WOZ had a better light show than TNA, but looking at it more, I think TNA tops it.

#11 6 years ago

I like the LOTR extended attract mode. Has to be turned on in settings.

#12 6 years ago

Yeah TNAs is awesome

#13 6 years ago

I didn't know LOTR had an attract mode. I've never found one on my Sterns. Are there any others?

#14 6 years ago

DI has an amazing/mesmerizing attract mode!

#15 6 years ago

F14 Tomcat. Although, you'll turn it off after you've seen it about 2 times.

#16 6 years ago

The Hobbit. Use of the 2 LCD screens and amazing LED light show.

#17 6 years ago

I remember my Creature had a cool attract mode.

#18 6 years ago

Centaur plays by itself and makes a hell of a lot of noise -- while you are in another room and you forget about that feature.
    I just tell visitors when we are upstairs having drinks later that "We have ghosts, and not to worry."

You can't top Centaur.
    (robin where's the icon for #micdrop ?)

-mof

#19 6 years ago

I still remember in the late 80's when we first heard Pinbot say: "I...See...You!"
    The arcade was dead quiet when it happened...which made this extra creepy - Almost sent us running the other way!

#20 6 years ago

Jjp pins have great lightshows in attract mode.
    Afm also has a cool one with flashers/strobe if its set on. Cftbl does a neat little show which is like your at the movies. Bsd is really well done also.

#21 6 years ago
    Quoted from mof:

Centaur plays by itself and makes a hell of a lot of noise -- while you are in another room and you forget about that feature.
    I just tell visitors when we are upstairs having drinks later that "We have ghosts, and not to worry."
    You can't top Centaur.
    (robin where's the icon for #micdrop ?)
    -mof

Does anyone know of anymore games that kick out balls in attract modes?

#22 6 years ago
    Quoted from Pinballlew:

Doesn't Rollergames do this? Maybe I'm thinking after they are locked and MB is ready.

#23 6 years ago
    Quoted from schudel5:

Most annoying as hell: Centaur when it kicks 5 balls out onto the playfield every 5 minutes...besides being annoying it's bad for the playfield. Luckily it can be shut off.

Centaur has the coolest attract mode ever, IMO. No game at the time could have done an attract mode like that. And pressing the flipper button to hear him go through the features was also unprecedented.

Seeing the autoplay feature every 15 minutes catch guests off guard is very satisfying. That said, it can be annoying when you're trying to watch tv or have your head under the playfield of a game when it goes off. Centaur is uber cool though so I can't see myself ever turning it off.

#24 6 years ago

cftbl movie time is awesome
    freddy was a noise maker pretty cool
    bsd is killer too

#25 6 years ago

Cool topic!

I've always thought that games with controllable GI had fun attract modes. BSD fades the entire game's GI during attract mode from left to right. I always thought it was interesting how you could turn that feature off.

Earthshaker clicks off all the game's GI, and does a cool "collapsing" light show every couple minutes. Neat effect.

#26 6 years ago

The old Data East Jurassic Park had a great attract mode ... loud exciting music with the T-Rex looking right at you

Gilligans Island was a classic attract mode .... had the show song with the graphics of the crew

Going with newer games, Star Wars and the random movie clips and scrolling words never gets old

#27 6 years ago
    Quoted from schudel5:

Doesn't Rollergames do this? Maybe I'm thinking after they are locked and MB is ready.

I am unsure if it does it in attract mode...I know it does the lock loop randomly during game play...which I think is way cool and plays with your mind.

#28 6 years ago
    Quoted from Pinballlew:

Yes, Check Point also kicks out it's three balls for attract . It too can be changed in settings
    -David Doney
    Norvell Mi 49263

#29 6 years ago

I like how Pinbot shows the basic rules in attract mode, even lighting up shots on the playfield to go with the alphanumeric text.

#30 6 years ago

Capcom Kingpin. Amazing light show.

LTG : )

#31 6 years ago

LOTR

Love how it lights up the shots and gives the players direction of the games goal

#32 6 years ago

Always liked Space Station with "condition green"

#33 6 years ago

Don’t forget about Space Shuttle, and how it would spell out it’s name in the bonus lamp matrix. Nice feature for the time.

And Mr. and Mrs. Pac-Man spelling out “BALLY” in its lamp matrix.

#34 6 years ago

TNA was the only game that came to mind, but it's not something I really pay all that much attention too. The patterns in TNA really stand out when you're looking at a monitor that's capturing the whole playfield.

#35 6 years ago

Still like black hole and HH. Otherwise any jjp.

#36 6 years ago

Bride of Pinbot is my favorite “PLAY ME”

Machines I don’t own with amazing attract modes- Tales from the Crypt, Haunted House, Freddy, and Centaur

#37 6 years ago
    #38 6 years ago

This has been very cool to learn about other pins and some great stories about their attract modes.

#39 6 years ago

F14 is my absolute favorite. Now you DIE followed by the guns. Oh yeah

#40 6 years ago

Some of my games from the 60s with blinking lights behind the backglass are very attractive.

#41 6 years ago

Creature from the Black Lagoon by a mile. The countdown is awesome, and then you get the “movie trailer.” So cool!

#42 6 years ago

Bally Xenon "Try me again" with the sexy Suzanne Ciani voice is hard to beat.

#43 6 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

Some of my games from the 60s with blinking lights behind the backglass are very attractive.

Speaking of, did any EM games use stepper units creatively to give some fancy blinking lights like a pseudo-attract mode? I know Gottlieb's Flying Carpet did that cool thing with the upper rollovers when the score motor was running, but that's all I can think of.

#44 6 years ago

This thread reminds me of the saddest part about Spider-Man: It's boot ROM has a better attract mode than the game does....true

#45 6 years ago

Creature from the Black Lagoon for sure! I love the whole "The movie starts in two minutes!" sequence and it really sold me on the game when I first saw it.

#46 6 years ago
    Quoted from mbaumle:

Speaking of, did any EM games use stepper units creatively to give some fancy blinking lights like a pseudo-attract mode?

Not in attract mode, but you have games like Fireball with it's roving odin value using a motor to one I just picked up Wms Stop N Go that uses a stepper to constantly change the center target value.

#47 6 years ago
    Quoted from lpeters82:

TNA was the only game that came to mind, but it's not something I really pay all that much attention too. The patterns in TNA really stand out when you're looking at a monitor that's capturing the whole playfield.

Especially the rotating star. That is so cool.

#48 6 years ago

I want to throw in a vote for Cactus Jack's! Almost forgot about that one. At the time, I believe that no other game had more lamp inserts in the playfield, and the entire face of the banjo was nothing more than a huge light show. It wasn't even a bonus counter. Just tons of colored lights doing all sorts of neat little patterns and effects!

#49 6 years ago

My first thought was CFTBL but I have to give Stern credit on the Batman 66 (LE and SLE) attract mode. Classic TV running, batmobile spinning topper strobe and antennas lit, and the icing on the cake a bat signal projected on the ceiling from the back box while playing the ever classic Batman soundtrack. Love it.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/best-attract-modes-1?hl=mbaumle and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.