(Topic ID: 321555)

Best arcade racing game for a home arcade? (Replayability)

By SantaEatsCheese

1 year ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 66 posts
  • 46 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by DBLM
  • Topic is favorited by 8 Pinsiders

You

Topic poll

“What game would you want teleported into your basement (not displacing pins)?”

• SanFrancisco Rush The Rock 14 votes
    27%
  • Daytona USA 13 votes
    25%
  • Outrun 5 votes
    10%
  • Other 19 votes
    37%

(51 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

h20verdriveflyer (resized).jpg
38E81D16-F64F-47DD-8607-2ACD659127D1 (resized).jpeg
456C2565-2F95-4C3A-9025-E1BC01EE5498 (resized).jpeg
68F6FDED-2062-474C-BB12-C7DBE587B85A (resized).jpeg
ivan-iron-man-stewarts-super-offroad-background-1 (resized).jpg
Screen Shot 2022-09-02 at 5.37.28 PM (resized).png
21795F37-4AE0-423E-B73B-9CB15135F2EB (resized).jpeg
The SFRush mother load (resized).jpg
Super Sprint (resized).jpg
6CBD0890-EF70-491A-B040-E6A8F734B3E7 (resized).jpeg
There are 66 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
#51 1 year ago
Quoted from Irishbastard:

Worst driver to keep running. A house near me had a cockpit and upright in a dumpster in their driveway a while back, I paused, then came to my senses and kept driving.

Yes I'm aware but they have upgraded software I forget who did it sounded bullet proof John's arcade has a video on it I believe.

#52 1 year ago
Quoted from Spitfiren8:

There is the new PI Position board available now for under $200. Lets u play PP1 and PP2. Its saving alot of these games.

Really? I know a local guy in MA was reverse engineering a new solution, but I'm no longer in that local arcade group so don't know if he ever finished. I also know where there are a ton of Pole Position cabs...Hmm

#53 1 year ago
Quoted from Irishbastard:

Really? I know a local guy in MA was reverse engineering a new solution, but I'm no longer in that local arcade group so don't know if he ever finished.

https://www.arcadeshop.com/i/1758/pi-position-multigame-kit.htm

#54 1 year ago
Quoted from arcyallen:

I think the absolute king of racers is Hard Drivin'. It's not like the rest of them, and I've never really seen anything quite like it other than the sequel Race Drivin'. If you've played it, you know what I mean. If you haven't, don't let the polygons turn you off - it's amazing.

I put a LOT of quarters into a Hard Drivin' at a nearby billiards hall in the mid 90s. Maybe it's just nostalgia at this point, but if one came along in ok shape for a reasonable price I'd be dragging it home. Four speed manual transmission with clutch pedal!

#55 1 year ago

Hard Drivin’/Race Drivin’ in cockpit form, is the closest you will get to a real driving experience feel. The graphics are aged, but it is a great game.

Downside is, they 750lbs, and not fun to move, or take apart.

A dedicated SF Rush the Rock is a close 2nd. As mentioned earlier, the dedicated cabs split into two pieces, making it easier to move. If it doesn’t split into two, than it’s a SF Rush that was converted.

#56 1 year ago
Quoted from SterlingRush:

Hard Drivin’/Race Drivin’ in cockpit form, is the closest you will get to a real driving experience feel. The graphics are aged, but it is a great game.
Downside is, they 750lbs, and not fun to move, or take apart.
A dedicated SF Rush the Rock is a close 2nd. As mentioned earlier, the dedicated cabs split into two pieces, making it easier to move. If it doesn’t split into two, than it’s a SF Rush that was converted.

Is there an easy way to tell on the San Francisco Rush The Rock?

#57 1 year ago

my pair of linked mario karts are always a hit with everyone of all ages

#58 1 year ago

I have a rush2049 and a hydrothunder, and both are pretty good.

I wanted a more modern linked pair to put into my vacation rental, and bought a pair of linked FFdrifts. I gotta say that the driving isn’t nearly as refined or engaging as rush or hydro. Just pretty graphics with ridiculous physics. Little kids may still enjoy them.

#59 1 year ago

Rush 2049 is my favorite, but it has to be Tournament Edition software. Adds tracks, cars and the ability to drive around a BART station, among other things. Driver below is not me, but is an excellent driver. Video is dark, but you get the idea.

#60 1 year ago
Quoted from SantaEatsCheese:

Is there an easy way to tell on the San Francisco Rush The Rock?

Side view, if you see two good size bolts/bolt holes and black plates, just under the gear shift.

When separated, each piece can be strapped to a two wheel dolly, and moved around. You will have to remove the green monitor shroud, to fit through most doorways, 5 bolts and a few connectors.

38E81D16-F64F-47DD-8607-2ACD659127D1 (resized).jpeg38E81D16-F64F-47DD-8607-2ACD659127D1 (resized).jpeg456C2565-2F95-4C3A-9025-E1BC01EE5498 (resized).jpeg456C2565-2F95-4C3A-9025-E1BC01EE5498 (resized).jpeg
#61 1 year ago

San Francisco Rush 2049 special edition. There's a side quest to find all the stars located on each level and you can save your progress. Honestly one of the best driving game ever made in my opinion for replay value alone.

#62 1 year ago
Quoted from SantaEatsCheese:

I have an Outrun 1up and had a Ridge Racer 1up.
The build quality on these is that of Ikea furniture. The whole thing feels sturdy enough, with the exception that the pedals are made out durable plastic. They have held up great in home use, but I would never put them someplace like a bar. The pedals are connected to the machine by a 3.5mm audio cord. If you open them up to see how they work each pedal has potentiometers being controlled by the pedals, so they are essentially using volume knobs attached to a plastic fulcrum to control the input. It works.
The Outrun is played more than my other 1ups or pi-cades. The replayability on it is excellent. There are 5 games, 3 of them good, and it took me over 400 times to beat the original Outrun. I still have Turbo Outrun, Outrunners, and a couple other on there to play.
As far as real differences between it and the arcade, aside from size (you really need to sit on a stool to play, but its fine), there is no rumble in the steering wheel, no real force feedback and the shifter centers on each shift.
Ridge Racer has "online play" but it really only records times. No live heads up racing. It does have a rumble, but its not great and only works on a few of the games. Ridge Racer also has 5 games, but there are 6 tracks between them and its really 2 games. Ridge Racer, Ridge Racer 2, and Rave Racer all have the same tracks with minor improvements beteween them. Rave Racer uses a different game engine that handles differently so its hard to switch between the games and not crash. I personally traded mine for a Big Buck Hunter.
I won't recommend Ridge Racer, but Outrun is a fantastic game to add into the lineup. You can play it for a year, get tired of it, and trade it for another game on Facebook (thats what I did).
I can see getting a full sized Outrun in the future based off of my excellent experience playing the One Up.

Thanks for the great rundown!

#63 1 year ago

Another vote here for either of the Rush series of games. Both the SFRush and Rush2049 can be fitted with compact flash drive setups allowing you to play each of the versions of each game that came out for their respective platform by simply swapping out the rom chips and the CF card to the version you want to play next. The green cab Rushes have two games that came out on that platform and the 2049's have three, kinda. The Tournament Edition and the Special Edition are essentially the same game, but there are very slight differences. If you can find a pair of either, linked play never gets old.

I prefer the 2049, myself. It's my all-time favorite driving game, followed closely by Rush the Rock. Like others have said, the driving feel for these games(when properly working) is unmatched. The fandom for 2049 is still going strong, too. There's even a Discord server with tons of people on there all the time talking about all kinds of stuff for the arcade game and the home console ports of it. One of the game's main developers, STV, is also a part of that Discord and posts regularly(he's even a member here on Pinside @stv2049, but doesn't really post that much).

They are a bear to move, but a ton of fun to play. My ultimate goal for my arcade room is to get a second 2049, then mod both of them to have both Rush the Rock and Rush2049, and all versions thereof, in one cabinet. Technically, it can't currently be done, but I just think nobody has tried hard enough yet.

#64 1 year ago

I would go Cruisn USA or Ironmans off road, both lots of fun in my opinion
Crazy taxi though not a racing game is awesome too

#65 1 year ago

I had an upright with a Pi Position it’s an ok solution but finicky and MAME has issues with sound accuracy for Pole Position 1.

#66 1 year ago

Get this and call it a day.

h20verdriveflyer (resized).jpgh20verdriveflyer (resized).jpg
There are 66 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.