(Topic ID: 321555)

Best arcade racing game for a home arcade? (Replayability)

By SantaEatsCheese

1 year ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 66 posts
  • 46 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by DBLM
  • Topic is favorited by 8 Pinsiders

You

Topic poll

“What game would you want teleported into your basement (not displacing pins)?”

• SanFrancisco Rush The Rock 14 votes
    28%
  • Daytona USA 13 votes
    26%
  • Outrun 4 votes
    8%
  • Other 19 votes
    38%

(50 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

h20verdriveflyer (resized).jpg
38E81D16-F64F-47DD-8607-2ACD659127D1 (resized).jpeg
456C2565-2F95-4C3A-9025-E1BC01EE5498 (resized).jpeg
68F6FDED-2062-474C-BB12-C7DBE587B85A (resized).jpeg
ivan-iron-man-stewarts-super-offroad-background-1 (resized).jpg
Screen Shot 2022-09-02 at 5.37.28 PM (resized).png
21795F37-4AE0-423E-B73B-9CB15135F2EB (resized).jpeg
The SFRush mother load (resized).jpg
Super Sprint (resized).jpg
6CBD0890-EF70-491A-B040-E6A8F734B3E7 (resized).jpeg
There are 66 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 1 year ago

What do you guys think is the best arcade racing game for a home arcade?

I find that I play the original Outrun arcade 1up more than my other 1ups and bought a Ridge Racer arcade 1up to go along side it. I found WAY less replicability on Ridge Racer and it didn't stay long. I have a (walk out) basement arcade and its even harder to get racers/sit down racers in than pins, but I'm seriously considering getting one after having a sidewalk installed sometime in the next year. These are WAY cheaper than pins. I'm leaning toward a San Francisco Rush The Rock or a Daytona USA, but as I understand it these don't break down into multiple pieces and would be a pain to move. Assuming you could move it and were more concerned with replayability than graphics, what would you recommend?

My top 3 are

1. Sanfrancisco Rush
2. Daytona USA
3. Outrun

#2 1 year ago

Outrun 2. Only reason I own an original Xbox pretty much.

#3 1 year ago

Outrun is my all time favorite arcade racing game. And it's not too large / difficult to move.

#4 1 year ago

Pole position 2

#5 1 year ago

Crazy Taxi (Open World!)
Silent Scope 2 (especially if you can get your hands on 2 of them to link
House of the Dead 2
Pac-Man/Ms Pac man (light/small cab, everyone loves it)

#6 1 year ago
Quoted from Nick_801:

Crazy Taxi (Open World!)
Silent Scope 2 (especially if you can get your hands on 2 of them to link
House of the Dead 2
Pac-Man/Ms Pac man (light/small cab, everyone loves it)

He said racing games!

Although HOTD2 is one of my all-time favorites.
Any of the Cruisin’ games are pretty awesome.
I’d probably buy one of those Japanese racing games you can play at Round1. They’re sick!

#7 1 year ago

Arctic Thunder or Hydro Thunder.

#8 1 year ago

I would probably go Rush the Rock especially if you can get a linked set. Daytona is also great, but I like having more tracks on Rush. My kiddo and I were trading spots on the leaderboards for a good while with super tight time differences on that very first track.

#9 1 year ago

Had 4 2049s linked for yrs.
It still got old but you could had some tracks and explore to find coins.
The replay against friends and fam was fun

#10 1 year ago

I always really enjoyed rush. I'm not sure how the arcade racing games work, but there was a way in rush to explore off track and find some hidden stunt arenas for the cars which was fun. I thought it had the best type of "racing" as well.

#11 1 year ago
Quoted from Isochronic_Frost:

He said racing games!
Although HOTD2 is one of my all-time favorites.
Any of the Cruisin’ games are pretty awesome.
I’d probably buy one of those Japanese racing games you can play at Round1. They’re sick!

Whoops! Missed that. Crazy taxi still qualifies. I'd add F-Zero AX, and Mario Kart GP. HOTD 2 is awesome! I have one in my game room!

#12 1 year ago

Out of the above choices I have a 4 player Daytona setup and an outrun cabaret. I'd have to go daytona if only I could only do one but outrun is also an all time favorite of mine too. I just loved being able to drop it down and drift around corners when I was a kid. Outrun is just classic. Glad I didn't have to decide one or the other!

#13 1 year ago

I've spent a lot of time behind the wheel on just about every Driving Video ever made, And for me, the best ever is Rush The Rock.

It's not easy, but once you get the hang of it, it keeps you coming back for more. Perfect for the home environment.

#14 1 year ago

I don't have as much time on Rush 2049 as I had on Rush the Rock (there was one at my parents arcade). Other than being easier to move (it breaks into 2 pieces as I understand it) and better graphics... how was gameplay? Do you still rate Rush The Rock higher than 2049?

#15 1 year ago
Quoted from SantaEatsCheese:

I don't have as much time on Rush 2049 as I had on Rush the Rock (there was one at my parents arcade). Other than being easier to move (it breaks into 2 pieces as I understand it) and better graphics... how was gameplay? Do you still rate Rush The Rock higher than 2049?

I do. And there are some RtR Alcatraz machines that break into two pieces. I am not sure of the exact details, but I think it was only the games that shipped as alcatraz and not OG rush games that were converted.

#16 1 year ago

The graphics are a little better, but for me, the collecting coins thing gets old and is a distraction. Even if you make an account to save your progress. It's also easier to finish the race and the catch up feature after you crash seems a little more forgiving.

I wanted to like 2049 more, but from a "one more try" perspective, I always go back to Rush the Rock.

It is difficult to move, but the green monitor surround and seat can be removed to make it a little easier. 2049 even in 2 pieces is no picnic to move!

#17 1 year ago

Ivan Stewart Off Road if you like to party hard.

ivan-iron-man-stewarts-super-offroad-background-1 (resized).jpgivan-iron-man-stewarts-super-offroad-background-1 (resized).jpg
#18 1 year ago

If you have a few bucks, you could connect a Logitech wheel to a PC with a racing frame. Pretty much every arcade racing and flying game you can name. It’s by far the most popular thing when I have company. I’ve moved with it twice… it’s super easy to disassemble. It does take up a pin spot, so factor that in.

6CBD0890-EF70-491A-B040-E6A8F734B3E7 (resized).jpeg6CBD0890-EF70-491A-B040-E6A8F734B3E7 (resized).jpeg
#19 1 year ago

For me it's rush all day. Daytona not a bad choice. Outrun has never been my jam, plus no link ability

#20 1 year ago

My vote!
I'd love to add one someday. Ate a ton of my quarters back in the day.

Super Sprint (resized).jpgSuper Sprint (resized).jpg
#21 1 year ago

I have an outrun cabaret. Loved the look of the cabinet & the small footprint is great. Only trade off is that the cabaret has a simplified shaker on the wheel. Shakes fore-aft only. I think the full sized games shake fore-aft and torque the wheel?

#22 1 year ago

I have two SF Rush the Rocks here that outlived the 2049 by far. The 2049 has better graphics seeing as it's three years newer then the Rocks but it also has two lesser tracks. The gold coins were fun to find and a few I could never figure out how to get to them but I'm think it was some sorta glitch in the programming quite honestly . Once you've pretty much mastered the coins there's not much else to keep you coming back. I sold the 2049 off after a few months and still have my Rocks here. BTW: Having just two driving games link together is the perfect number really, anything beyond that just took up more room and didn't get played often. Here's Pete strapping down the newly found games years ago.

John

The SFRush mother load (resized).jpgThe SFRush mother load (resized).jpg
#23 1 year ago

All good choices -

If you are looking for an Outrun keep in mind they shipped with a suicide battery chip but you can work around this by just getting a standard 68000 CPU and patched ROMs - http://www.segaresurrection.com/

- Turbo Outrun might be a good option if you can find one cheap and de convert it.

- The Daytona USA board set is very complex and uprights don’t have any force feedback so keep that in mind.

#24 1 year ago
Quoted from Mudflaps:

If you have a few bucks, you could connect a Logitech wheel to a PC with a racing frame. Pretty much every arcade racing and flying game you can name. It’s by far the most popular thing when I have company. I’ve moved with it twice… it’s super easy to disassemble. It does take up a pin spot, so factor that in. [quoted image]

What is the price point on that set up? Looks great.

#25 1 year ago

Has anybody played the arcade 1up racing games? Wondering how well built they are.

#26 1 year ago

A friend has one of the Rush games...can't recall which one....but both a linked and seemed very fun. I recall him showing me shortcuts and different hidden pathways. Maybe it also had an option to mirror each track to give you more options?

I always sucked at racing games....I'm too twitchy with the steering and I never use the brake.

Super Sprint was my favorite racing game since it's a top down arcade game and not a first person or behind the car camera view.

#27 1 year ago

I had a Virtua Racing for awhile, not as good as Daytona but close. It split into two halves, monitors and seat, and was on casters. Was able to roll it thru a standard exterior door easy enuf.

21795F37-4AE0-423E-B73B-9CB15135F2EB (resized).jpeg21795F37-4AE0-423E-B73B-9CB15135F2EB (resized).jpeg
#28 1 year ago
Quoted from gjm:

What is the price point on that set up? Looks great.

PC = ~$200
Monitor = $120
Graphics card = $180
Logitech wheel = $285
Logitech HOTAS (optional) = $100
Racing cockpit = ~$500
Speakers = ~$50

You’re at about $1500 with everything, less if you provide your own PC, TV, speakers, etc. With all that, though, you’re able to play tons of modern arcade games and old school classics. Check out TeknoParrot.

#29 1 year ago

I like my Roadblasters. Not quite racing, but it’s driving with weapons, and reminds me of being a kid!

#30 1 year ago

I have 2 newer lcd ( need for speed carbons) link. They are super fun. Has drifting courses also.

#31 1 year ago

Initial D with working card readers. It's the only arcade racing game that lets you save your progress. It has tons of real licensed cars and more simulation driving than over the top arcade racing. Version 3 was the last domestic version. Later versions are imports but still findable in the US.

Screen Shot 2022-09-02 at 5.37.28 PM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2022-09-02 at 5.37.28 PM (resized).png

#32 1 year ago

Rush the Rock linked pair

#33 1 year ago

Rush 2049 has a great feel, and lots of tracks. The entering of a personal pin to save progress/scores is great. I don't care much for the futureristic style/theme though. More classic cars and and a traditional landscape would be cooler in my opinion. But outside personal feelings on the art, the driving feel is awesome. Auto is great for the average user and shifting with a clutch is a fun gimmick for more advanced players. Having a pair is a must. If room isn't an issue, I think having 3 or 4 linked is ideal only because you can bump into cars, so the head to head jockeying is a little more interactive vs. 2 drivers where one is more experienced than the other.

I don't like the modern fast and furious games because the car flipping is so outrageous it just seems ridiculous. The newer Cruisin series looks amazing graphics wise, but driving Rush 2049 is waaaaaaay better. Rush 2049 comes appart in 2 pieces and you can gut it and fold it rather easily so the profile is pretty standard in terms of getting through doors and stuff. It's easy to convert to lcd/led, but I think keeping the crt is preferable. Don't think someone converting it to a modern monitor is a premium modification. It's worth less to me than a stock game? Because it's much easier to go to lcd than go back to crt in terms of finding a monitor and often people cut the bezels or get rid of the original trim when they switch from a 4:3 to 16:9... plus there is the noticeable image stretch if you are a perfectionist. But otherwise you don't lose image quality with a modern TV as it has a vga out...

I haven't played a modern Mario cart, so I can't compare to more go cart style game play. Good luck!

#34 1 year ago

Outrun - I want one myself!

#35 1 year ago

I just feel like if you get some monster linked sit down games you’ll regret it. They are gigantic and hard to sell !

#36 1 year ago
Quoted from PoMC:

A friend has one of the Rush games...can't recall which one....but both a linked and seemed very fun. I recall him showing me shortcuts and different hidden pathways. Maybe it also had an option to mirror each track to give you more options?
I always sucked at racing games....I'm too twitchy with the steering and I never use the brake.
Super Sprint was my favorite racing game since it's a top down arcade game and not a first person or behind the car camera view.

2049’s linked if we’re thinking of the same guy.

Super sprint is nostalgic to me, played a lot of that as a kid. I would love two Outrun 2’s linked one day. I just can’t seem to stop buying pinball machines lol.

#37 1 year ago

I'm not really familiar with the differences between the racing games, but I've probably seen Daytona USA much more frequently in home arcades than any other racing game.

No idea if that makes it the best, but it just seems to be the most common from what I've seen.

#38 1 year ago

Off road would be the only arcade style game I would buy. I have iRacing on my PC and that is it for racing games/simulators. I don’t have a full setup with a seat and all that, I just have it setup at my desk and it works great.

#39 1 year ago

Cruisin' Exotica

#40 1 year ago

I do miss having a linked driver, if i had the space id love a pair of Daytonas. Everybody plays them, which i cant say about my pins or other arcades

#41 1 year ago
Quoted from thekaiser82:

Has anybody played the arcade 1up racing games? Wondering how well built they are.

I have an Outrun 1up and had a Ridge Racer 1up.

The build quality on these is that of Ikea furniture. The whole thing feels sturdy enough, with the exception that the pedals are made out durable plastic. They have held up great in home use, but I would never put them someplace like a bar. The pedals are connected to the machine by a 3.5mm audio cord. If you open them up to see how they work each pedal has potentiometers being controlled by the pedals, so they are essentially using volume knobs attached to a plastic fulcrum to control the input. It works.

The Outrun is played more than my other 1ups or pi-cades. The replayability on it is excellent. There are 5 games, 3 of them good, and it took me over 400 times to beat the original Outrun. I still have Turbo Outrun, Outrunners, and a couple other on there to play.

As far as real differences between it and the arcade, aside from size (you really need to sit on a stool to play, but its fine), there is no rumble in the steering wheel, no real force feedback and the shifter centers on each shift.

Ridge Racer has "online play" but it really only records times. No live heads up racing. It does have a rumble, but its not great and only works on a few of the games. Ridge Racer also has 5 games, but there are 6 tracks between them and its really 2 games. Ridge Racer, Ridge Racer 2, and Rave Racer all have the same tracks with minor improvements beteween them. Rave Racer uses a different game engine that handles differently so its hard to switch between the games and not crash. I personally traded mine for a Big Buck Hunter.

I won't recommend Ridge Racer, but Outrun is a fantastic game to add into the lineup. You can play it for a year, get tired of it, and trade it for another game on Facebook (thats what I did).

I can see getting a full sized Outrun in the future based off of my excellent experience playing the One Up.

#42 1 year ago

I think the absolute king of racers is Hard Drivin'. It's not like the rest of them, and I've never really seen anything quite like it other than the sequel Race Drivin'. If you've played it, you know what I mean. If you haven't, don't let the polygons turn you off - it's amazing.

Quoted from BasementFacts:

Initial D with working card readers. It's the only arcade racing game that lets you save your progress. It has tons of real licensed cars and more simulation driving than over the top arcade racing.

These are surprisingly fun! There's an arcade in NH that has a line of these and they're pretty heart-pounding to play.

#43 1 year ago

For my own game room I tried to find the holy grail Sega Ferrari 355 challenge, but ended up with Rush 2049. I will say that with the “short cuts” built into Rush 2049 those machines have been used more than any other game I own by guests, my kids, their friends,etc. Having multiple linked games is still a blast. Good luck on your decision.

68F6FDED-2062-474C-BB12-C7DBE587B85A (resized).jpeg68F6FDED-2062-474C-BB12-C7DBE587B85A (resized).jpeg
#44 1 year ago

I have a Crusin World sit-down and an upright Turbo Outrun (resurrected pcb with kit). Crusin is one of the biggest hits when people come over, average people ignore all my pins and go for the driver and redemption games (crane, coin pusher, wacky gator). I got Crusin for around $200 and rebuilt the monitor. It's an okay game, but gets boring after a while as it's repetitive.

I really want a 2049 as I like the actual clutch. It's on my want list (could have had two for free, messed that up).

#45 1 year ago

The bigger arcade machines used to go quite a bit cheaper than other games at the auctions down here. Mostly due to the size and effort moving them. I only say used to because I don't really watch the prices on them nearly as much once I got so heavy into pins.

#46 1 year ago

Donkey Kong! An original cabinet is a piece of art and it's the goat! Endless replay!

Edit
Sorry missed the racing part but my answer remains if it's gota be racing then Pole Position just timeless

#47 1 year ago

Pole position was the first great arcade racer but it always drove me nuts how coming anywhere near another car caused you to burst into a fireball!!

Outrun corrected this injustice!

#48 1 year ago
Quoted from timtim:

Outrun 2. Only reason I own an original Xbox pretty much.

This is it. If you want replayability, nothing is better than OutRun 2 SP, in terms of both quality and quantity.

-Three modes: OutRun with a great scoring system based around catching the slipstream of enemy cars and passing them closely, Heart Attack where you do different challenges like drifting through certain areas or passing through gates at the passenger girl's requests, and a straight Time Attack with no traffic.
-Two sets of 15 stages, five per playthrough, for a total of 30 unique courses, as well as the option to play through an entire 15-stage set.
-10 real Ferraris with the option to drive faster "tuned" models in Time Attack.
-Lots of excellent selectable music, the original Out Run songs, remixes of them, and new songs.
-Amazing handling system with a satisfying and easy to understand drift, that can be done using the brake or the shifter.
-Multiplayer with the fun feature of the leader choosing the next stage during the race.
-Gorgeous visuals that, at least from an art style standpoint, put most current console games to shame.

AM2 is the greatest video game studio of all time, and OutRun 2 is their magnum opus. Also the best remake/update of an older game by a long shot.

#49 1 year ago
Quoted from MacGruber:

Donkey Kong! An original cabinet is a piece of art and it's the goat! Endless replay!
Edit
Sorry missed the racing part but my answer remains if it's gota be racing then Pole Position just timeless

Worst driver to keep running. A house near me had a cockpit and upright in a dumpster in their driveway a while back, I paused, then came to my senses and kept driving.

#50 1 year ago
Quoted from Irishbastard:

Worst driver to keep running. A house near me had a cockpit and upright in a dumpster in their driveway a while back, I paused, then came to my senses and kept driving.

There is the new PI Position board available now for under $200. Lets u play PP1 and PP2. Its saving alot of these games.

There are 66 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/best-arcade-racing-game-for-a-home-arcade-replayability and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.