(Topic ID: 182585)

Best Arcade game to add to a primarily Pinball location?

By Whysnow

7 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

dkfinal1 (resized).jpg
    pac-man's arcade party coin upright brochure.jpg
    Pac-Man Battle Royale Cabinet web (resized).jpg
    IMG_1504 (resized).JPG
    IMG_0313 (resized).PNG
    IMG_0312 (resized).PNG
    IMG_0311 (resized).PNG
    IMG_4015 (resized).JPG
    #1 7 years ago

SSIA.

One of our locations that we operate pinball machines at has asked if we would be up for installing an arcade. They requested some sort of 4 player type game. They are a typical Madison, WI type place... They get a mix of ages and types of people, from hipster 25 year olds through 50 year olds.

I am not a vid guy so need some honest advice.

I am guessing they want something like nfl blitz, nba jam, gauntlet, tmnt, simpsons, etc...
    what other games are there?
    Which of these woudl you think would do best? Do you think any of them would be worth grabbing?
    What is the best way to find one of these? What should I expect to pay?
    Easy/hard to find? Easy to sell if it is a dud after a while?

#2 7 years ago

There is a new PAC-man game. Four player versus. It's awesome. It looks like a neon techno party, but will also ring familiar with the older crowd. I think it offers something for all ages.

IMG_4015 (resized).JPGIMG_4015 (resized).JPG

#3 7 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

nfl blitz, nba jam, gauntlet, tmnt, simpsons, etc...

All of those would be games I'd love to see on location plus Xmen.

But I'd probably play TMNT or Simpsons if I only had a $1 in my pocket.

#4 7 years ago
    Quoted from Pinball-Pat:

There is a new PAC-man game. Four player versus. It's awesome. It looks like a neon techno party, but will also ring familiar with the older crowd. I think it offers something for all ages.

I am guessing that is like 5k plus?

#5 7 years ago
    Quoted from woody24:

do people set them up on .50 or .25 per play?

(like I said, I dont know vids at all )

#6 7 years ago
    Quoted from Pinball-Pat:

MSA in Lafayette IN got "The World's Largest Pacman." I haven't played it yet, but looks very cool.

#7 7 years ago
    Quoted from woody24:

also if people want to rate from most liked by widest variety to least that would be useful.

I am guessing I will just have to pick up what I can find in the area.

#8 7 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

do people set them up on .50 or .25 per play?
    (like I said, I dont know vids at all )

No matter what the cost, that whole dollar would go into one of those. But I'd think $.25 would be the best bet. Lives go quick sometimes.

#9 7 years ago

All arcades on location up here are .25 cents. And most four player games do well.

#10 7 years ago
    Quoted from Twilight1:

All arcades on location up here are .25 cents. And most four player games do well.

any tips on what does better or worse?

Any arcade guys local that want to sell one of these for a fair price?
    Any tips on pricing and what to look out for on these?

#11 7 years ago

At Pinballz most of the better arcade games are $0.50+ I really only see two types of games always being played. One is the car racer type games and the other is their newer versions of Street Fighter 2. Their SF2's look more like MAME set-ups (they aren't though) as they have a big pedestal and a large TV the game is played on.

If I recall correctly you were at TPF last year. If so, did you notice the Mortal Kombat 10 game? It was home made but that right there should show what kids (and adults) are in to the best as that thing was never vacant and usually had a line.

Because of these two examples I personally would go with a fighter game. If it must be a 4 player game I would go with TMNT or Simpsons. But, both of those games are vacant 90% of the time at both the arcades I go to that have them.

P.S. - You don't even want to know what some of the new arcade games cost new these days. I was looking at getting a harpoon lagoon for the house until I found out they were $10K+!

#12 7 years ago

Forgot to add. TPF has arcade games that are usually for sale too so if you are coming again this year, bring your check book.

#13 7 years ago
    Quoted from 85vett:

At Pinballz most of the better arcade games are $0.50+ I really only see two types of games always being played. One is the car racer type games and the other is their newer versions of Street Fighter 2. Their SF2's look more like MAME set-ups (they aren't though) as they have a big pedestal and a large TV the game is played on.
    If I recall correctly you were at TPF last year. If so, did you notice the Mortal Kombat 10 game? It was home made but that right there should show what kids (and adults) are in to the best as that thing was never vacant and usually had a line.
    Because of these two examples I personally would go with a fighter game. If it must be a 4 player game I would go with TMNT or Simpsons. But, both of those games are vacant 90% of the time at both the arcades I go to that have them.
    P.S. - You don't even want to know what some of the new arcade games cost new these days. I was looking at getting a harpoon lagoon for the house until I found out they were $10K+!

thanks. I did not even notice the Mortal kombat game at TPF. I am largely blind to vids, lol.

#14 7 years ago

A buddy that has a few of side scrollers was commentating last night. Simpsons still holds its own. I also vote for mortal combat. If you have space he has a twin motorcycle game he's thinking of moving out.

#15 7 years ago

Escape from the Planet of the Robot Monsters. Just throwing this in the ring...this game killed it in our local arcade growing up and was such a blast. Can't find any pictures on google of the four player Gauntlet style cabinet that the arcade had...probably was a convert kit from a Gauntlet cab though since it replaced it.

IMG_0311 (resized).PNGIMG_0311 (resized).PNG
    IMG_0312 (resized).PNGIMG_0312 (resized).PNG
    IMG_0313 (resized).PNGIMG_0313 (resized).PNG

#16 7 years ago

turtles or simpsons for 4 player side scroller
    nba jam te for sports 4 player
    new game: those 4 player pac man sit downs always have people playing it at pinball jones.

25 cents a play. probably tough to make anything at this but that is the only way people put money in them imo. maybe work out a split with the location that you get all the quarters until the cost of the machine is met or something to make it a better investment for you

edit: with these 4 player games at 25 cents, if 4 people are playing you are getting a dollar in coin drop for like 5 min of action, if they play a few times (which it seems typically happens, you are getting a buck a play) people will drop quarters in the side scrollers a bunch at first but once you beat it, the replay is low. NBA jam (or any sports game) the game will be different every play so has more replay value long term. The pac man has super high replay value and repeat players

#17 7 years ago

What about an inexpensive 60 in one or 100 in one game??

#18 7 years ago

killer queen!

UMK3 and have tournaments.

-c

#19 7 years ago

If the location has room and you have plenty of chaching than this PAC-MAN table is a blast....I played it on a cruise ship that had an arcade in it.....

#20 7 years ago

TMNT IN TIME
    NBA JAM
    SMASH TV?

#21 7 years ago

Not sure about everyone else, but I always jump at the chance to play shoot em up games like Mercs, Super Contra, Metal Slug (III or X) as well as the various Gradius games (III and IV are favorites).

Would also second Gauntlet, NBA Jam, and TMNT TiT

#22 7 years ago

Wow, I can't believe no one's throwing out Buck Hunter as a suggestion. I'm guessing the age ranges listed (25-50) suggest this is a place with alcohol. BH + Alcohol = Fun.

Golden Tee would be my runner up, but I personally play BH much more at bars. TMNT and Simpsons are fun side scrollers, but BH and GT can command a higher credit price and have replay-ability. TMNT and Simpsons are one and done games IMO which are only cool because A) you remember playing them from childhood or B) you have an ironic mustache and are legally obligated to like things older than you.

#23 7 years ago
    Quoted from Pinballerchef:

If the location has room and you have plenty of chaching than this PAC-MAN table is a blast....I played it on a cruise ship that had an arcade in it.....

Never seen that, I bet it is a blast!

#24 7 years ago

Super Off Road is a great 3 player racing game as well.

#25 7 years ago
    Quoted from Pinballlew:

It's neat for sure....a different take on air hockey.

I know he's asking more about vids so I'd say the Time Crisis series are fun too....actually most of the gun games seem to bring in the quarter droppers.

#26 7 years ago

Rampage!

IMG_1504 (resized).JPGIMG_1504 (resized).JPG

#28 7 years ago
    Quoted from Pinballlew:

It is. Family and I played it at the Minnesota State Fair last year. Everyone really enjoyed it.

#29 7 years ago
    Quoted from Yoko2una:

Wow, I can't believe no one's throwing out Buck Hunter as a suggestion. I'm guessing the age ranges listed (25-50) suggest this is a place with alcohol. BH + Alcohol = Fun.
    Golden Tee would be my runner up, but I personally play BH much more at bars. TMNT and Simpsons are fun side scrollers, but BH and GT can command a higher credit price and have replay-ability. TMNT and Simpsons are one and done games IMO which are only cool because A) you remember playing them from childhood or B) you have an ironic mustache and are legally obligated to like things older than you.

I second this suggestion of BBH or GT Live. I have added these games to pinball dominated locations, and they do well for a few reasons. They are incredibly easy to approach and be familiar with what you're supposed to do (and how to do it). There is also the competitive nature of these games for couples or groups. With BBH, 2 friends or a couple on a date will play this and have a blast, often times doing a few treks throughout the night. With Golden Tee, there is a community of players that take it as seriously as we take pinball. With Golden Tee, players can get GT ID cards whcih tracks stats and allows players to win real money for good play.

BBH and GT can support one night 'tournaments' or events, which is great for a location.

Good luck!

#30 7 years ago

Thanks for all the ideas folks.

Dave>> which 4 player do they have? Can you find an image or link?

Quoted from InfiniteLives:

new game: those 4 player pac man sit downs always have people playing it at pinball jones.

#31 7 years ago

MKII

#32 7 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

Thanks for all the ideas folks.
    Dave>> which 4 player do they have? Can you find an image or link?

They have the Pac Man 4 player Battle Royale machine. They do not have the "topper" thing or whatever the over head signage dealio hooked up

https://www.bandainamco-am.com/game.php?gameid=30

Always being played. Even if its just me playing pinball in the whole place some random patrons seem to be on it.

Pac-Man Battle Royale Cabinet web (resized).jpgPac-Man Battle Royale Cabinet web (resized).jpg

#33 7 years ago

They have the Pac Man 4 player Battle Royale machine. They do not have the "topper" thing or whatever the over head signage dealio hooked up
    Always being played. Even if its just me playing pinball in the whole place some random patrons seem to be on it.

sounds fun.

Wonder how much they go for? anyone know.

bet it is crazy

#34 7 years ago

Game Exchange used to sell em I think, they can probably still get them if you want to ask JJ about pricing. They are not currently listed on their website but are listed on the bandai website as an authorized dealer.

#35 7 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

sounds fun.
    Wonder how much they go for? anyone know.
    bet it is crazy

Namco is only making them in limited runs now, they are around $5500 now. they used to be $4400

#36 7 years ago
    Quoted from Drew13:

Namco is only making them in limited runs now, they are around $5500 now. they used to be $4400

That looks like a "more reasonable" version of the one I posted up too. To keep the budget from breaking, I also think a big buck hunter would do pretty good. Any competitive shooting game really.

#37 7 years ago

Turtles in time, sunset riders, or the x-men 2x 25" monitor 6 player mega arcade

#38 7 years ago

Hilton not sure if you still have my number but feel free if you want to give me a call. I operate about 75% arcade games in my locations and do 25% pinball. I can tell you anything and everything you wanna know about what works and what doesn't.

#39 7 years ago

I've been visiting a new local arcade with a few pins; That sit-down 4p pacman is pretty fun and encourages groups of casual players to all put coins in it.

I despise the 100-in-1 multicades they have. Many of the cabs only have controls for 1p, but the software allows for 2-4p selection and then just screws you out of it. It's poorly done in many cases and the cabs have no draw IMHO.

#40 7 years ago

This was going to be suggestion, I prefer this to the big bar stool/TV version. Much more economical on space and very fun!

#41 7 years ago

The games on location that I see that are busiest are ones that offer competitive play, rather than cooperative play.

#42 7 years ago

Super Off Road is a great 3 player racing game as well.

I'd say Super Sprint over Super Off Road.

But instead of a crappy 60 in 1 might I suggest this:
    pac-man's arcade party coin upright brochure.jpgpac-man's arcade party coin upright brochure.jpg

#43 7 years ago

always have a Donkey Kong no matter what

dkfinal1 (resized).jpgdkfinal1 (resized).jpg

#44 7 years ago

I have to second the suggestion for Atari Super Sprint (sacrilege to many, but adding a larger LCD monitor in this game is a win if going on location). Rampage was also a great suggestion.

#45 7 years ago

A Neo Geo 2-slot.

One fighter (Garou if you can afford it, any well liked KoF or Sam Sho otherwise).
    One other (any Metal Slug, Bust a Move, Windjammers, Shock Troopers, Aero Fighter 2).

Cycle out carts once a month. Low cost to bring in, easy to rotate new titles in so things don't get stale.

Ms. PAC always does well on location too.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/best-arcade-game-to-add-to-a-primarily-pinball-location and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.