(Topic ID: 44752)

Best anti-rattle tape?

By Mudflaps

11 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

mckayladisappointed.jpg
    ceiling_raccoon.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider muttonboy.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#21 10 years ago
    Quoted from ovfdfireman:

Electrical tape wont hold up, but is guaranteed to "goo" up your rails. Pinballpro tape is custom made for this application, durable, does not come off even with repeat glass removal. The best bet is to just try it. The roll is enough to do up to 3 machines with full coverage ($6.65 per machine) you wont be disappointed.

Just an FYI, I went ahead and bought this tape last December to avoid any stick mess even though it was 20$ a roll and 9$ to ship at the time. Put it on PDI glass.... Went to move the glass to another machine yesterday, removed the tape and all the glue stayed on the glass.

I'd say it's just as messy as anything else, it's going to be impossible to get it off without messing up my glass I think. At least it looks nice and is sized right I guess....

#23 10 years ago

It didn't fit in the other machine, so had to remove it.

I realize goo gone and razor work can remove it, just not what I wanted to be doing to 300$ glass.

It is what it is, I'm not mad. I thought it could use a little clarification as that's what forums are for. When I researched anti rattle tape I took all the "no mess" comments to mean no mess.

And there are tapes that leave no mess, or at least less. This stuff is thick. I've used electrical tape in the past and never had this problem. I bought this expensive no mess tape only because I was putting it on expensive glass...

#26 10 years ago
    Quoted from BoJo:

I think when they refer to anti-rattle tape having "no mess" they mean it will not break down after repeatedly removing/installing the glass in your machine since some other tapes would break down and gunk up the channels. If they are referring to the adhesive after removal then that is some bad advertising on their part.

I'm not questioning anyone's advertising or comments, just trying to add my experience. So the next time someone like me is trying to learn about it..

Quoted from ChadH:

Would Goo Gone be safe to use on PDI glass?

I'm about to find out! lol

2 months later
    #29 10 years ago

I'll have to check what I used when I get back home. But all is removed and no noticeable damage to the PDI that I can tell. First two adhesive removal solvents I tried wouldn't cut it. I just can't remember now if it was a big aresol can of industrial adhesive remover I had around that did the trick or WD40. Either way, my PDI has now seen quite a list of chemicals and harsh cleaners and took it like a champ. It did take quite a bit of time and work. I tried plastic razor blades too, but they could not cut it. The stuff that was on there was really really thick, unlike anything I've ever seen left behind by tape... I should have taken some pics...

All that said, I do still think the tape is fantastic at what it is for. Was easy to apply and stayed put.
    I'm pretty sure PDI glass, or at least mine, is thicker than standard glass. I had a heck of a time getting it in the machine even without the tape. Even replaced the rails.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider muttonboy.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/best-anti-rattle-tape?tu=muttonboy and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.