Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 69 posts
  • 59 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by insx
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

There are 69 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 12 years ago

Best: FT

Worst: AFM

Discuss...

#2 12 years ago

I beg to differ on that one.

I like:

Best----------The Shadow

Worst--------Johnny Mnemonic

#3 12 years ago

Worst: Theatre of Magic's digital pinball.
    Best: Junk Yard's dog shooting

#4 12 years ago

I always loved fishtales' vid mode.
    Worst: I'd have to say afm but I haven't played that many games with a vid mode.

#5 12 years ago

Best: Shadow

#6 12 years ago

Best. Cftbl. Worst.... Hello if I know

#7 12 years ago

Everyone talks about a bad video mode on games, I haven't really played one with a 'bad' one.

Does popeye or gilligan have a video mode?

I like the afm vid mode, it's hard to me.

#8 12 years ago
    Quoted from pinheadpuckguy:

Worst--------Johnny Mnemonic

I'm +1 JM for worst.

Can't think of a favorite right now... maybe T2 blasting T100s

#9 12 years ago
    Quoted from Blakesell:

Everyone talks about a bad video mode on games, I haven't really played one with a 'bad' one.

Have you played a JM? I'm usually a fan of video modes, but that one just sucks IMO. I guess my favorite would be BSD.

#10 12 years ago

Best: Fish Tales

Worst: Elvis

#11 12 years ago

Williams Indiana Jones is the best, three in total. One well themed and executed modes for each movie. The worst is copy cat on Cirqus Voltaire is a chore to play and doesn't really go with the theme, while the Amazing Roony isn't that great either at at least fits the Circus theme nicely.

#12 12 years ago
    Quoted from Slate:

Best: Shadow

+1 I love the Purba game so much.

#13 12 years ago

Tommy has the worst video mode I have ever seen.

#14 12 years ago

I hated JM's video mode at first. found it confusing but after a while it grew on me. still not my favorite, but I wouldn't call it the worst. AFM's was a let down.

#15 12 years ago
    Quoted from gweempose:

Tommy has the worst video mode I have ever seen.

Agreed, I'm not a fan of video modes as is, but this one is horrible.

#16 12 years ago

Best - Indiana Jones, all of them are great and fit perfectly

Worst - Dr. Who, while I love the game, jumping objects is silly and it can be memorized, so worthless after few times

#17 12 years ago

Best: FT and IJ
    Worst: Tommy!!!!

#18 12 years ago

Best is definitely Judge Dredd if you count pursuit as a true "video mode". I guess it's more of a hybrid, but in my opinion, that's how a vid mode SHOULD be done.

Worst is hard because they all kind of suck. I'd lean towards CV's copy cat, as jsandjs said perfectly. If it weren't for the easy extra ball, I'd never bother playing it, and usually throw it right away anyway since I want to play pinball, not simon says. I will never understand why they made Roonie optional in the home ROMs, but made copy cat mandatory. Ack.

JMs really isn't that bad once you figure out what you are doing. It's a neat use of the 4 flipper button configuration.

#19 12 years ago

Of the games I've played:

Worst: DW

Honorable mention: LW3

#20 12 years ago

All video modes are the worst. I like pinball not crappy half ass video games.

#21 12 years ago

Best: FT and BSD - really great modes that are truly random and always fun and challenging. BSD gets progressively more difficult and rewarding.

Worst: Cactus Canyon and STTNG (STTNG isn't randomized so once you know the pattern, there's no challenge). CC's video mode is just the stupidest thing ever... moving a spitoon around to catch peoples' spit?

#22 12 years ago

I have played both JM and TOM video modes. They both suck but JM sucks more.

#23 12 years ago

Well, tommy gives you a chance to swill some beer so it's not totally worthless.

#24 12 years ago

I have FT, BSD, and Shadow all in a row. All 3 have decent video modes. But I don't really like video modes as they just become VERY repetitive....

#25 12 years ago
    Quoted from PinballHelp:

Best: FT and BSD - really great modes that are truly random and always fun and challenging. BSD gets progressively more difficult and rewarding.
    Worst: Cactus Canyon and STTNG (STTNG isn't randomized so once you know the pattern, there's no challenge). CC's video mode is just the stupidest thing ever... moving a spitoon around to catch peoples' spit?

Unfortunately BSD isnt truely random..... Its predictable if not the same every game. Yes the levels get harder, but once you learn it.......

#26 12 years ago
    Quoted from tomdotcom:

But I don't really like video modes as they just become VERY repetitive....

I got blasted for saying this before, but i don't think they belong in pinball at all. What i actually said was "dmd ruined pinball" or something slightly more caustic like that.

Best:FT & JY
    Worst: ??

#27 12 years ago

Best=Maverick (Maybe cause I am a blackjack player and love the video mode in game)
    Runner Up=Baywatch (likley because I just dig the waverunner action and sharks)

Worst=I dunno...maybe worse=any game with a broken dmd display Otherwise every pin I played, that had a dmd, added spice/interest/zing! to the game and was cool!

#28 12 years ago

Best: tie between CFTBL and FT.

Worst: CV kangaroo jumping

#29 12 years ago
    Quoted from pinb0t:

All video modes are the worst. I like pinball not crappy half ass video games.

+1 I'm with you. Video modes make the game stop and forces the player to focus on the DMD.

#30 12 years ago

Best: BSD, LW3

Honorable mention: JY

Worst: most all of the rest...many are fun for a few games but become tiresome in a home environment.

#31 12 years ago
    Quoted from GoneFishinLvMsg:

Worst: AFM
    Discuss...

Wow really??? I'd say FT and AFM have the best video modes out there. I love blasting cows on AFM when you can get the Vid mode a 2nd time around.

#32 12 years ago

I would say Shadow Purba game, pull the trigger to use as a smart bomb! my second fav is FT!

#33 12 years ago
    Quoted from smassa:

I love blasting cows on AFM when you can get the Vid mode a 2nd time around.

The cows are the only redeeming factor. I did split my gut laughing the first time I saw that.

Shit, I owned JM for such a short period of time that I don't even remember its video mode. I guess it was forgettable.

I can see why a lot of people don't like DW's but for some reason I don't mind it. I get a charge out of shooting for video mode and then cursing loudly when the ball bounces out instead of dropping into the tardis. Man, I love DW!

#34 12 years ago

IJ by a mile. All 3 good but Mine Cart is great

#35 12 years ago

+1.
    I will agree with the "In a home environment, it just gets tiresome..." bit. It really isn't necessary unless you are marathoning BILLIONS like Wizman or Wizman Jr. (RGR )

For the worst, I would say Tommy as well.

#36 12 years ago

I almost forgot about Poker Night, the hidden video mode on STTNG. That's a pretty cool one that most people have never seen.

#37 12 years ago

love creech and ft getaway is up there too

worst... not sure

#38 12 years ago

I also really like A13, especially landing in the middle crater. "You sir are a steely eyed missile man!" Also, on A13, there is a hidden video mode called "The Crawl" that I've personally never gotten. Man, I miss that machine.

#39 12 years ago
    Quoted from PinballHelp:

CC's video mode is just the stupidest thing ever... moving a spitoon around to catch peoples' spit?

Damn, my CC didn't have a video mode!! Is that a home ROM you had??

I like MM's video mode a lot... it's just so silly, so it fits the theme nicely... DW is the worst I remember seeing... similar to CV, but with worse graphics...

#40 12 years ago
    Quoted from pinballslave:

Damn, my CC didn't have a video mode!! Is that a home ROM you had??

That's because that video mode is CP.

#41 12 years ago

CC doesn't have a video mode. He is talking about the one in CP. Champion Pub.

And the worst VM by far is Jurrasic Park:Lost World.

#42 12 years ago

BSD I like how the game rewards you for waiting for the absolute last second to shoot each wolf.

TOM is redundant. Stop playing actual pinball to play some terrible video pinball. Bwuh?

#43 12 years ago
    Quoted from trent:

CC doesn't have a video mode. He is talking about the one in CP. Champion Pub.

That's funny 'cos the description of the video mode exactly matches CC... even more than it does CP!!

Quoted from OrochiLeona:

BSD I like how the game rewards you for waiting for the absolute last second to shoot each wolf.

I didn't realise it did that... Thanks for the tip!

#44 12 years ago

I like the cart race in IJ. It's beautifully animated, intense and tough.

#45 12 years ago

Not a big fan of video modes. I do like the video mode on AFM though, mostly because it fits the theme so well.

ToM has the worst video mode I've seen.

#46 12 years ago

Sorry. You all got the second part of the question wrong. Some of the guesses above are actually relatively decent video modes, like AFM or CV or T2.

The absolute WORST video mode in any pin, bar none, is Lost World:Jurassic Park. Go ahead. Look it up. I *dare* you to find a worse one!

#47 12 years ago
    Quoted from jasonpaulbauer:

Unfortunately BSD isnt truely random..... Its predictable if not the same every game. Yes the levels get harder, but once you learn it.......

Are you sure about that? I am going to have to check into that. It always seemed random to me. I think there are some patterns like, 2 coming at once at the end of wave one on each side, but I think they weren't always in the same place or on the same side.

#48 12 years ago
    Quoted from Snurdley:

pinballslave said:Damn, my CC didn't have a video mode!! Is that a home ROM you had??
    That's because that video mode is CP. » YouTube video

Oh is it really Champion Pub? LOL.. I tried to get that out of my brain.

#49 12 years ago

I think I have two of the machines with the Worst Video Modes, it may be a Tie.... IMO...

1. - LW3 stunt modes.. I mean you just wait for the eyes to flash or whatever and pull the trigger? I guess I've never messed with the settings .. Can that be changed?

2. - CBW and the falling ball that you move the pocket ( Cup ) back and forth with the flippers ... Hate that one..

I guess I do like the Shoot Out on LW3 though... Just because it can happen at any time during gameplay.. I like the challenge of having a Multiball going on and still grabbing the gun handle to Win the shoot out or be Dead Meat !!

#50 12 years ago

best is ij,,like all three,,, worst poker on cp,,

There are 69 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/best-and-worst-video-modes/page/1 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.