1133f5 (resized).jpg
flyer1 (resized).jpg
flyer2 (resized).jpg
2218687641_61e96a7269_b (resized).jpg
image-13 (resized).jpg
16120-the-shadow-pinball-machine-raised-playfield (resized).jpg
382 (resized).jpg
TBL upper playfield (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider nokoro.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 7 years ago

What are your favorite and least favorite upper playfields?

I've played several pins with them but by no means all so I'm curious as to what people think. I'm a fan of the one on TSPP. Simple, a bit difficult, short and meaningful. Similarly, I like the upper castle playfield on my WOZ. You have to work to keep the ball up there, and it is a critical component of the game to start one of the major multiballs. At the same time, the theme integration on that one is great.

#24 7 years ago
Quoted from jlm33:

I really like WPT's upper PF. 3 stand ups, one lock, one exit for hurry up, one used for the skill shots. Two ways to get there...

I've heard that's good. Never found one in the wild to play.

Quoted from SealClubber:

Worst - Rob Zombie

I played RZ a couple of times. I didn't get the upper playfield. Also couldn't keep the ball up there. I think I agree with this.

Quoted from oldskool1969:

WW is the best and GoT is actually pretty good too.
AS is looking pretty ordinary?

Love White Water. That's a good one. Hard shot to make but satisfying.

GoT I've played a few times but can't really figure out the upper playfield. I want to like it, but perhaps I need to know the rules more. Aerosmith kind of looks blah. A little too tight. But we'll see. Haven't played it yet.

#45 7 years ago
Quoted from goatdan:

What exactly defines an upper playfield? I tend to think of things with at least one flipper, so things like the roll overs for LOTR don't count. They have a purpose for what they are doing, but the goal isn't for you to be able to control the ball up there.

Yeah, I was thinking of something with a flipper or some way to control a ball other than by nudging. So, in my definition, I don't count LOTR or POTC.

7 months later
#79 6 years ago

From the videos I’ve seen, JJPOTC may win the prize for best upper playfield. What an incredibly innovative and fun looking playfield!

#81 6 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Never played it but just crown it's ass eh?

Relax. I said “may”. All things are contingent upon actual experience playing. But the videos I have seen have me incredibly excited to try, and the initial reactions from folks who have played it have been overwhelmingly positive. Still, I’m not crowning anything. I just think it looks awesome. “Looks” being the key word.

#83 6 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

If you think a rocking upper playfield with two spinners, two targets, and one loop is awesome (I'm assuming just because it rocks), you probably would love the GOT upper playfield. It's epic: three targets, one loop, a moon hole, and two three other exits. And, oh yeah...a dragon that flaps its wings. Epic. (At least, I think so!)

I played the GOT upper playfield a few times but not enough to fully understand the rules.

#85 6 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

Fair enough. My point is just that while the new POTC upper playfield is inventive and decorated beautifully, there's really not a whole lot going on up there. Meanwhile many think the GOT upper playfield is among the worst, which I'm not getting at all. There's a lot to do on that...not sure what the rules have you do on the POTC one, so I am speaking somewhat out of ignorance here.

I’m not sure having a lot to do necessarily translates to a great upper playfield. I’m speaking generally here and not about GOT. You don’t want the upper playfield to necessarily distract from the main game. You want to get the ball up there and have a limited goal that is hard but not out of reach. WOZ and TSPP fit the bill for me. JJPOTC also seems to fit from what I’ve seen. Again not sure about GOT because I didn’t get a good feel for it. However I didn’t have long ball times up there, and that was a positive.

Getting back to JJPOTC, there’s a loop with two spinners, two stand up targets, and a cannon to load. And, you have to do all this, timing your shots, while the thing rocks back and forth. For me, that seems really fun and innovative. Of course, the proof will be when I finally get to play it.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 7.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 115.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 49.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 359.00
Playfield - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 15.00
Hardware
Volcano Pinball

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 24.00
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 100.00
Cabinet - Other
Volcano Pinball

Wanted
$ 78.50
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Haus

$ 1,059.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

10,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Mount Pleasant, WI
$ 29.00
Boards
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 395.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 110.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

4,500 (OBO)
$ 199.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 59.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

Machine - For Sale
Uniontown, OH
$ 29.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider nokoro.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/best-and-worst-upper-playfields?tu=nokoro and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.