Topic Stats

• 85 posts
  • 48 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by Nokoro
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 8 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

1133f5 (resized).jpg
flyer1 (resized).jpg
flyer2 (resized).jpg
2218687641_61e96a7269_b (resized).jpg
image-13 (resized).jpg
16120-the-shadow-pinball-machine-raised-playfield (resized).jpg
382 (resized).jpg
TBL upper playfield (resized).jpg

There are 85 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 3 years ago

What are your favorite and least favorite upper playfields?

I've played several pins with them but by no means all so I'm curious as to what people think. I'm a fan of the one on TSPP. Simple, a bit difficult, short and meaningful. Similarly, I like the upper castle playfield on my WOZ. You have to work to keep the ball up there, and it is a critical component of the game to start one of the major multiballs. At the same time, the theme integration on that one is great.

#2 3 years ago
Quoted from Nokoro:

What are your favorite and least favorite upper playfields?
I've played several pins with them but by no means all so I'm curious as to what people think. I'm a fan of the one on TSPP. Simple, a bit difficult, short and meaningful. Similarly, I like the upper castle playfield on my WOZ. You have to work to keep the ball up there, and it is a critical component of the game to start one of the major multiballs. At the same time, the theme integration on that one is great.

I really like WPT's upper PF. 3 stand ups, one lock, one exit for hurry up, one used for the skill shots. Two ways to get there...

#5 3 years ago

I love to hate upper playfields and I love to love them too. I have a love hate love relationship with them... no hate, no love... so torn!

#8 3 years ago

I'm surprised no one has mentioned White Water. It's small, clean, fast, and feeds four different ramps!

#9 3 years ago

My favorites mini playfield's are Shadow, wizard of Oz, game of thrones, and the Simpson.

#10 3 years ago

Good topic.

Best: Shadow, Twilight Zone and Big Lebrowski (I like how you have to use bumping the machine as part of the strategy.

Worst: if I could include lower... Congo

#11 3 years ago

Best: woz, IJ, WW, FG,

Worst: LOTR

#12 3 years ago

Not a fan of Rob Zombies upper field.

#13 3 years ago

BK2K and WWFRR get my vote for the best.

Rob Zombie has one of the worst.

#14 3 years ago

Elvis upper play field is okay, rest of the game is blah.
WW is the best and GoT is actually pretty good too.
AS is looking pretty ordinary?
RZ is simple but still fun.

#15 3 years ago
Quoted from oldskool1969:

Elvis upper play field is okay, rest of the game is blah.
RZ is simple but still fun.

What's AS again?

#16 3 years ago

Worst: Pinbot/Jackbot and South Park
Best: Shadow, TZ, WOZ, TSPP, and Stewie pinball on FG

#17 3 years ago
Quoted from jonesjb:

What's AS again?

Aerosmith, I think

#18 3 years ago
Quoted from SealClubber:

Best - Shadow
Worst - Rob Zombie

I'll second that.

John

#19 3 years ago

Worst lower: AC/DC - great pin, but what a waste of $$ spent on the crappy lower playfield.

#20 3 years ago
Quoted from dasvis:

Worst lower: AC/DC - great pin, but what a waste of $$ spent on the crappy lower playfield.

AC DCs lower playfield seems as good as playing a full size medieval madness compared to the lower playfield of SF2...

I know I am in the minority but I like the mini pinball in Shrek

#21 3 years ago

Tspp
Tz
FamGuy/shreck

#22 3 years ago

Love WH2O and IJ - Stewie MB is pretty cool too

Hate-um not sure? I appreciate them all but have not played RZ so the jury is out I guess

#23 3 years ago

I would own a FG if the mini playfield didn't remind me of Zizzle every.single. time.

#24 3 years ago
Quoted from jlm33:

I really like WPT's upper PF. 3 stand ups, one lock, one exit for hurry up, one used for the skill shots. Two ways to get there...

I've heard that's good. Never found one in the wild to play.

Quoted from SealClubber:

Worst - Rob Zombie

I played RZ a couple of times. I didn't get the upper playfield. Also couldn't keep the ball up there. I think I agree with this.

Quoted from oldskool1969:

Love White Water. That's a good one. Hard shot to make but satisfying.

GoT I've played a few times but can't really figure out the upper playfield. I want to like it, but perhaps I need to know the rules more. Aerosmith kind of looks blah. A little too tight. But we'll see. Haven't played it yet.

#25 3 years ago

Best upper. Black Knight has a loop into a ball lock, and 6 drops.

#26 3 years ago
Quoted from cosmokramer:

AC DCs lower playfield seems as good as playing a full size medieval madness compared to the lower playfield of SF2...
I know I am in the minority but I like the mini pinball in Shrek

i have to give a thumbs up for some razz on the SF2.

#27 3 years ago

All of them....I'll take an upper pf any day vs. none.

#28 3 years ago

Best: WOZ, IJ, GOT (I know...I'm biased!)
Worst: LOTR. You need those green glowy guys just to distract you from how much it sucks.

#29 3 years ago

My top 5 fav's... 1. Grand Lizard/ Solar Fire, 2. WH2O, 3. SOF, 4. The Shadow, 5. Pharaoh

Worst...... Twilight Zone!

#30 3 years ago

The LOTR one is shockingly bad, if they ever do some kind of vault edition I hope they spruce it up. At least make it so it doesn't just dump the ball onto some plastic.

As for best, I really love TZ's, it's just good and weird.

#31 3 years ago
Quoted from jlm33:

Totally agree - the upper playfield on WPT is a great feature on the game with six separate "targets" that you're trying to hit at varying points in the game. The "Ace in the Hole" ball lock with the drop-down bars is a cool feature in itself. Plus, you can have up to all four balls in play on the upper playfield at once!

Man - I miss my WPT!

#32 3 years ago

TBL has a cool upper playfield that looks like the bowling alley's parking lot from the movie. Between the perimeter orbit loop shot, the stand-up handicap parking targets, the reward shot, and the Dude's car bash toy that swings out from inside the building at various points in the game, it has a lot going on up there!

TBL upper playfield (resized).jpg

#33 3 years ago

Haunted House - Upper and lower are probably better then the regular playfield.

Flash Gordon, Swords of Fury, Black Knight, Black Knight 2000 have stood up well over the years.

Twilight Zone, White Water, Indiana Jones - Fun and fit the themes.

Doctor Who is a big one for creative

I am not into WPT as a game, but as an upper with the drops and all it is good.

Elvis is alright.

I personally don't like Shadow or TSPP.

Congo Grey Battle sucks

LOTR is an awesome game but yes the POTD is lame. Just like Batman Dark Knight, Pinbot, Jack-Bot and any other mini-bingo.

The only thing worse then Family Guy's Stewie Pinball is Shrek's Donkey Pinball. They both make me cringe but the repetitive Donkey voice makes it even worse.

#34 3 years ago

What exactly defines an upper playfield? I tend to think of things with at least one flipper, so things like the roll overs for LOTR don't count. They have a purpose for what they are doing, but the goal isn't for you to be able to control the ball up there.

To me, a good upper playfield is something that has a purpose and is deep enough on it's own. A lot of playfields that people have named I find myself either able to keep the ball up there for a long time doing not much or are just too simple.

Having said that, the winner to me is Popeye. Seriously. Not just does the upper playfield contain two flippers, but the shots that you make are interactive with the DMD on the backbox and change based on what you just did. It makes it a different sort of challenge.

#35 3 years ago
Quoted from goatdan:

...Having said that, the winner to me is Popeye. Seriously. Not just does the upper playfield contain two flippers, but the shots that you make are interactive with the DMD on the backbox and change based on what you just did. It makes it a different sort of challenge.

Doh, I forgot about Popeye

#36 3 years ago
Quoted from goatdan:

What exactly defines an upper playfield? I tend to think of things with at least one flipper, so things like the roll overs for LOTR don't count. They have a purpose for what they are doing, but the goal isn't for you to be able to control the ball up there...

Interesting interpretation. POTC goes into that category also. I guess they are more of a ramp extension than a playfield. But like I called it a mini bingo the control is a little nudging.

#37 3 years ago
Quoted from Tuna_Delight:

TBL has a cool upper playfield that looks like the bowling alley's parking lot from the movie. Between the perimeter orbit loop shot, the stand-up handicap parking targets, the reward shot, and the Dude's car bash toy that swings out from inside the building at various points in the game, it has a lot going on up there!

I second TBL as the best upper playfield. It's also very important to game play. You can trigger a bowling event in the lower playfield, start one of three game play modes, and it includes a bash toy.

#38 3 years ago

Sorry, dupe post.

#39 3 years ago

Sorry, dupe post.

#40 3 years ago
Quoted from taz:

I second TBL as the best upper playfield. It's also very important to game play. You can trigger a bowling event in the lower playfield, start one of three game play modes, and it includes a bash toy.

Actually, you did it 3 times.

#41 3 years ago
Quoted from jonesjb:

Actually, you did it 3 times.

Yeah, my connection when crazy or something kept giving me errors. So, I guess I second, third, and fourth TBL as having a great upper playfield.

#42 3 years ago
Quoted from dasvis:

Acdc has in my opinion one of the worst lower mini playfield (i think the worst is Congo) but also a bad code, I really dislike this one.

#43 3 years ago
Quoted from colonel_caverne:

Acdc has in my opinion one of the worst lower mini playfield (i think the worst is Congo) but also a bad code, I really dislike this one.

Same. The lower playfield on ACDC looks cool but it's minimal code / rules for it make it basically useless. It's a shame since the lower playfield is the main draw of ACDC premium.

Aerosmith premium / LE may take the title for worst mini playfield. I need to try it but just from the videos I've seen it looks terrible and extremely awkward.

#44 3 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Same. The lower playfield on ACDC looks cool but it's minimal code / rules for it make it basically useless. It's a shame since the lower playfield is the main draw of ACDC premium.
Aerosmith premium / LE may take the title for worst mini playfield. I need to try it but just from the videos I've seen it looks terrible and extremely awkward.

I realize that I am misunderstood. Certainly My mistake. I wanted to say that the code of the gameplay was bad imo. I dislike the way to play this game and it feels way overrated to me.

#45 3 years ago
Quoted from goatdan:

What exactly defines an upper playfield? I tend to think of things with at least one flipper, so things like the roll overs for LOTR don't count. They have a purpose for what they are doing, but the goal isn't for you to be able to control the ball up there.

Yeah, I was thinking of something with a flipper or some way to control a ball other than by nudging. So, in my definition, I don't count LOTR or POTC.

#46 3 years ago

Wizard of Oz: six targets, one bash target that opens to a hole, and a loop that doubles as a lock. Some full sized machines don't have as much fun as this mini playfield.

382 (resized).jpg

#47 3 years ago

Shadow: it's basically a real life Breakout

16120-the-shadow-pinball-machine-raised-playfield (resized).jpg

6 months later
#48 2 years ago

TS, TZ, WOZ,
Then GOT

#49 2 years ago

I'm surprised it hasn't been mentioned, but TFLE ironhide takes the crown for worst mini pf ever.

WOZ has the coolest, and best integrated upper pfs that I've ever played.

#50 2 years ago

I vote Shadow, because it is fun and unique and does not use flippers. Second is Wh20, and Elvis where the upper playfield is just another shot as it passes through. I am not a big fan of mini-playfields, they tend to feel cheesy and a bit of a novelty feature. Transformers LE is comical. I even sold my Pistol Poker because I did not care for the upper playfield, and that upper is huge. Most uppers are a waste of space imo.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Streetsboro, OH
$ 209.00
$ 9.00
Cabinet Parts
Third Coast Pinball
There are 85 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside