Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 48 posts
  • 40 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by seshpilot
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 7 years ago

Ok, I'll start:

Best advice: start off with a system 11 for your first machine since they are easier to work (and learn) on.

Worst advice: don't buy your own pinball machine "If you have a local operator that does the job right and puts out decent games for 50-75 cents." (Probably ok advice, but I've found that learning how to fix things as they break is a lot of fun)

#2 7 years ago

Best advice - Drain threads that bother you.

Worst advice - Oh wait. I gave that advice. Never mind.

#3 7 years ago

Best advice - buy pinball machines for your home
    Worst advice - buy pinball machines for your home

#4 7 years ago

Best Advice - Be patient... they made lots of these pins, so if the deal doesn't feel right, pass.

Can't think of any bad advice I've seen on Pinside...

#5 7 years ago

Worse advice, believing everything in the game is perfect and has original pieces or no broken pieces no matter how much the seller can tell you without you personally seeing it in person.

#6 7 years ago

Best advice - Read Vids guide
    Worst advice - It's probably just a fuse....

#7 7 years ago

Worst advice I have ever heard:

"It's perfectably acceptable to work on your machines with the power on."

They were not joking.
    At that point, I threw up my hands, walked away, and did something non related to pinball for over a week.

My response is simple:
    "You cannot teach rocks how to swim."

#8 7 years ago
    Quoted from xTheBlackKnightx:

Kind of hard to take voltage and logic probe readings with the game off...

I just hope I don't win the most-worse-advice-giver in this thread...'cause I dolled out some doozies!

#9 7 years ago

It is. This keeps the board repair guys busy.

LTG : )

#10 7 years ago

Best - play before you buy a game. Games can always be had. Really no sense in having to buy in fear something won't be available.

Worst - nearly every "vs" thread. How would a stranger know what game you will like the most. I passed on several games because they weren't in with the cool group. Big mistake as some of my favorite games are outcast games.

#11 7 years ago
    Quoted from cody_chunn:

Kind of hard to take voltage and logic probe readings with the game off...
    I just hope I don't win the most-worse-advice-giver in this thread...'cause I dolled out some doozies!

We all know what I was referring to Cody.
    Not bench testing, load testing, or voltage test points.

#12 7 years ago

We all know what I was referring to Cody.
    Not bench testing, load testing, or voltage test points.

Yeah, just poking a stick at ya...no serious offense intended

#13 7 years ago

Best advice is original Bally EM fuse holders are usually bad.

Can't think of anything bad.

#14 7 years ago
    Quoted from 85vett:

Best - play before you buy a game. Games can always be had. Really no sense in having to buy in fear something won't be available.
    Worst - nearly every "vs" thread. How would a stranger know what game you will like the most. I passed on several games because they were in with the cool group. Big mistake as some of my favorite games are outcast games.

I agree. The fact that any group of people here dictate the "good" and "bad" games is nonsense. It's funny, you can post a photo of one game and then another, one of the overpriced cliches, and watch it get like 10x more upvotes.

Pinside cliche "get upvotes fast at the cost of emptying your wallet" list:

EM: Atlantis, El Dorado, Abra Ca Dabra, Centigrade 37 (In addition to those titles, there's a huge "Gottlieb single-player games are the best" circlejerk, I love them too and respect that people have their favorites, as we all do, but some people have their head so far up their rear that they absolutely despise (and some even publicly insult) any other games, which in my opinion a closed mind is the worst thing to have in this hobby!)

SS: Fathom takes the cake (especially due to the awful pricing), but arguably 70-80% of the Bally solid-states (Mystic, Frontier, Embryon, SBM, Vector, the list goes on), Funhouse, Earthshaker, Whirlwind

DMD: Medieval Madness, Monster Bash, Addams Family, CFTBL (and perhaps Metallica, but it's still new and I think a lot of people genuinely like the gameplay and I've heard very good things about it from people with very diverse collections, and the prices aren't inflated as it's still being made new, so can't/won't really add it to the list)

#15 7 years ago

They were not joking.
    At that point, I threw up my hands, walked away, and did something non related to pinball for over a week.
    My response is simple:

Come on who doesn't change light bulbs with the power on....I might

#16 7 years ago
    Quoted from Otaku:

I agree. The fact that any group of people here dictate the "good" and "bad" games is nonsense. It's funny, you can post a photo of one game and then another, one of the overpriced cliches, and watch it get like 10x more upvotes.
    EM: Atlantis, El Dorado, Abra Ca Dabra, Centigrade 37 (In addition to those titles, there's a huge "Gottlieb single-player games are the best" circlejerk, I love them too and respect that people have their favorites, as we all do, but some people have their head so far up their rear that they absolutely despise (and some even publicly insult) any other games, which in my opinion a closed mind is the worst thing to have in this hobby!)
    SS: Fathom takes the cake (especially due to the awful pricing), but arguably 70-80% of the Bally solid-states (Mystic, Frontier, Embryon, SBM, Vector, the list goes on), Funhouse, Earthshaker, Whirlwind
    DMD: Medieval Madness, Monster Bash, Addams Family, CFTBL (and perhaps Metallica, but it's still new and I think a lot of people genuinely like the gameplay and I've heard very good things about it from people with very diverse collections, and the prices aren't inflated as it's still being made new, so can't/won't really add it to the list)

Except that basically all of those games are top 100 for the simple fact that they are good games and get up votes because of it. I mean I LOVE Genesis and the original translite but I understand it won't get as many up votes as any of those games lol

#17 7 years ago
    Quoted from weavo24:

Come on who doesn't change light bulbs with the power on....I might

"If you need to pull the playfield up, power down the machine, lift the playfield, then turn the power on."
    (This reduces the chance for intermittent shorts)

-TBK

#18 7 years ago
    Quoted from Otaku:

<snip>

What exactly are you ranting about? Just about all those games you listed are considered great playing machines by a LOT of players. That's why they're expensive - people want them, supply/demand, hence they cost more. It's not some cliche or "secret group" deciding what games are good, it's simply the fact that the vast majority of people who buy pinballs want to own games that are fun and look good, and some games are absolutely more fun and better looking than others. And not all of them are expensive. Hell, I paid $500 for Mystic, and that's an awesome shooters game. Tricky to fill the card correctly but you can crush the bonus if you're perfect.

If you're complaining about the thumbs thing and pinside opinions, I must ask, why do you even care? Just buy the games you like and ignore the peanut gallery.

#19 7 years ago
    Quoted from PNorth:

Can't think of any bad advice I've seen on Pinside.

Read the Predator and JPOP threads from the beginning. You could write a book with all the bad advice given in those threads.

#20 7 years ago

There's all kinds of general bad advice on Pinside.

"You should get a 'x' instead of 'x' game..."
    Everyone's opinion on games is different. People should get what they like.

"I wouldn't spend '$x' on that game..."
    That's nice...but you're not looking to buy or sell that game and don't know all of the details. People can spend whatever they want.

"Never have a game shipped..."
    Oh please. Every game has been shipped at least once (from the factory). How do you think most games get moved between customers and some of the top restorers? They're shipped, both ways. And from respectable sellers, collectors around the world? Shipped. Now you shouldn't immediately trust and have a machine shipped from anyone, especially if they have no sales history, no reputation, no experience in shipping, etc. But a little common sense saves 90% of the issues from buying from a distance.

Some good advice I've seen that is worth repeating:

"Don't attempt board repair, especially on expensive boards, if you don't know what you're doing."

"Don't work under a powered playfield, IF you don't know what you're doing."

"Don't color bomb your playfield with colored LEDs in all of the GI."
    Alright this one is just my opinion but I swear by it

#21 7 years ago

Good Advice: Start a business in Pinball
    Bad Advice: Start a business in Pinball

#22 7 years ago

"If you need to pull the playfield up, power down the machine, lift the playfield, then turn the power on."
    (This reduces the chance for intermittent shorts)
    -TBK

For sure....I saw a guy drop his playfield back down. Luckily he didn't have it powered on....broke and bent a ton of stuff

#23 7 years ago

Best advice: If you want your woman to like pinball.....buy her a machine. Bought the woman a Funhouse.....and she has been hooked on pinball ever since.

Worst advice: Starting out in this hobby....and my buddy says "dont buy a Whitewater for 2500.00.....cause Whitewater is a tough game." The douchebag....i turned down a great buy.

#24 7 years ago

They were not joking.
    My response is simple:

Funny. I have seriously cost myself hundreds of dollars doing this. The last one was exactly as you implied. I was working on a light mod, power off, on to test, back off etc. When all was done, I was so pleased that I left the power on to lower the playfield...

Best advice: Play before you buy, ignore the "Top 100", beware of PayPal, take time to participate in tournaments.

No bad advice here, just some occasional wacky opinions.

#25 7 years ago

Someone once told me to "go f#ck myself." Worst advice ever....

#26 7 years ago

Worst: It costs about $30 to ship a playfield anywhere in the U.S. Hint: (not anymore)

#27 7 years ago

Worst: Any price check ever

#28 7 years ago

Worst advice: Don't operate pins.

#29 7 years ago

Best advice...don't fix it if it ain't broken..
    Worst advice...do u have a schematic? Who can read/understand these anyways?!

#30 7 years ago

They were not joking.
    My response is simple:

LOL? I work on pins all the time with power on. Many times its necessary.

I've probably led'd 200 some pins and no issues other than a blown fuse or two. It's not that hard to notell eff it up

#31 7 years ago
    Quoted from jrivelli:

I work on pins all the time with power on.

Me too. But my advice is that if you are testing coils while doing this, put the interlock switch back to its normal position before pulling out metal tools and poking around.

#32 7 years ago

Best: Remove balls before transporting machine
    Worst:Failure to specify it was the steel balls in the machine to be removed

#33 7 years ago
    Quoted from metallik:

What exactly are you ranting about? Just about all those games you listed are considered great playing machines by a LOT of players. That's why they're expensive - people want them, supply/demand, hence they cost more. It's not some cliche or "secret group" deciding what games are good, it's simply the fact that the vast majority of people who buy pinballs want to own games that are fun and look good, and some games are absolutely more fun and better looking than others. And not all of them are expensive. Hell, I paid $500 for Mystic, and that's an awesome shooters game. Tricky to fill the card correctly but you can crush the bonus if you're perfect.
    If you're complaining about the thumbs thing and pinside opinions, I must ask, why do you even care? Just buy the games you like and ignore the peanut gallery.

Might be because the top 100 is a load of bull. New machines always end up high in the rankings and fall down over a few years.

Games get voted up because they are pretty, not because they are that good a game. Great example of this is TOM. Beautiful game, boring as snot ruleset which is what its been called out on since it came out. Its number 11. Totan is another example of this as number 10. Heck, I'd lump monster bash in there as well. Its too easy to quickly see everything in it, but will give it credit that its more fun than TOM.

Top 100 is people trying to justify how much they spent. Whitewater is number 20. A game that for 20 years was considered a C-title is the 20th best? Give me a break. Its 20 because now that you can restore them people figured out it was expensive to do and so the price shot up. The game did not suddenly get better in the last couple years it just became worth more and people equate cost with quality.

#34 7 years ago

No matter how much you paid for machine X it is worth 10% more when you sell it and any thing you added to it give at least $1 for $1 or more in added value.

#35 7 years ago

Best advice remember it's only pinball

#36 7 years ago

Best - don't preorder a pin, don't buy on credit and don't choggard the seller.

#37 7 years ago

Best advice- take a break from pinside

Worst advice- please come back

#38 7 years ago

I don't think I have ever gotten any truly bad advice here. Best advice was to figure out why the failure you're seeing is the machine doing everything right and then go teach the machine what right is.

#39 7 years ago

Best advice: "Paypal is never a safe method for receiving payment"

#40 7 years ago
    Quoted from ryanwanger:

Me too. But my advice is that if you are testing coils while doing this, put the interlock switch back to its normal position before pulling out metal tools and poking around.

Yes! I normally pull the coin door switch out to turn off HV on games that allow for that in case I get sloppy.

I don't even take the balls out anymore, I just jam a rag in the slot they come out or my personal games have the metal flap installed that blocks balls from coming out. Otherwise it's too much hassle to take the balls out and not lose them

#41 7 years ago

Worst: Don't hesitate to pre-order with a down payment. (I did it with MMR and will never do that again)

Best: From someone in Google's RPG years ago, "You should check out this new site called "Pinside".

3 months later
    #42 7 years ago

More advice over the years, I few more from memory or circumstances, not necessarily on PinSide, but also at shows and other forums. Try not to wince.

Round 2: "It's probably just a fuse, an easy fix." (attempted sale after identifying the game did not work properly, this is still a very common comment today)

Round 3: "Check the WPC PDB transistor" (even though it was an EM pinball machine, sometimes a little knowledge is dangerous in the wrong hands, this was a "here's your sign" moment)

Round 4: "Just use some teflon lubricant on the flipper assembly." (instead of replacing the coil sleeve, plunger, and coil stop, and actually cleaning their game)

Round 5: "Spray a little degreaser on the the bolt, and give it a couple of minutes, it will loosen right up." (while the game power was on, you had to see the look on my face, as the owner was completely serious, I asked if he had a fire extinguisher close by)

Round 6: "That is completely normal for game operation, do not worry about it" (massive sparks were flying off of an flipper EOS switch that had partially shorted, like a mini fireworks display, not momentary due to carbon and corrosion pitting of contacts)

Round 7: "I just remove the grounding strap, it resolves the issue." (so I can get electrocuted, but there is more to this story as it was related to grounding issues on a GTB SS80, which the owner did not know how to fix, the owner did mention he had frequent "tickles" while playing)

Round 8: "Spin the leg in a circle, that will get the acorn bolt out." (tearing up the cabinet, Instead of loosening the leg plate, I got the game up on dolley and headed this one off)

Round 9: "Alligator clips are perfectly acceptable for long term electronic repairs and connections, if you worried about them getting loose, hit them with a little daub of solder." (Owner simply being completely lazy)

Round 10: "There is nothing dangerous about a pinball once you turn the power off." (The person then proceeded to burn his face and eyebrows as a large capacitor blew up from a shorted discharge and fat fingers with a screwdriver that slipped)

Bonus: "If you are out of fuses, you can use a rolled piece of tin foil for testing purposes." (Because the person ran out of fuses, from making the same mistake over and over again as the game was never tested for short circuits, ultimately the board had already had further damage upstream from prior attempts at repair with this method)

The list goes on and on.

“The problem with forums is there is a lot of disinformation, and a lot of uninformed opinions affecting what people actually believe. It is normal for forums. In any kind of hobby, go to their forums and blogs, and you will see something very similar. It is the nature of those environments, and it does not even have to be related to pinball machines.”

- George Gomez

#43 7 years ago

Best advice - don't buy an IM classic, spend the extra dough and buy a Pro

#44 7 years ago

Best advice #1: download Clay's guides to fixing pins
    Worst advice #1: putting a new repro playfield on that game would make it better

Best advice #2: a lot of the old Sterns and Premier games are amazing, and very few know about them
    Worst advice #2: a lot of the newer Sterns are so much better than the older games

Best advice #3: go to Expo, you'll love it!
    Worst advice #3: get rid of all those incandescents. Everything looks better with LEDs!

#45 7 years ago
    Quoted from seshpilot:

Best advice #1: download Clay's guides to fixing pins
    Worst advice #1: putting a new repro playfield on that game would make it better
    Best advice #2: a lot of the old Sterns and Premier games are amazing, and very few know about them
    Worst advice #2: a lot of the newer Sterns are so much better than the older games
    Best advice #3: go to Expo, you'll love it!
    Worst advice #3: get rid of all those incandescents. Everything looks better with LEDs!

And if you can PM me the link to Clay's guides, I'd appreciate it. Don't post it; it'll get removed.

#46 7 years ago
    Quoted from beelzeboob:

And if you can PM me the link to Clay's guides, I'd appreciate it. Don't post it; it'll get removed.

Just do some googling, it's out there....

#47 7 years ago

Worst advice: Buy Predator from Skit B.

#48 7 years ago
    Quoted from roc-noc:

Worst advice: Buy Predator from Skit B.

LLOL. and also sadly true

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/best-and-worst-advice-that-you-have-received-on-pinside?hl=emagic and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.