(Topic ID: 314732)

Best alternative to cable tv and internet

By Jamesays

1 year ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 1 year ago

Last month I contacted at$t and told them my tv and internet bill of 175.00 per month was too much .The rep says how would you like 70 bucks off per month for a year,naturally I loved the idea.Fast forward after 1 month guess what my bill increased by 75 bucks.I called and asked wtf. Got the standard reply when they jack up the bill (oh your price was on a special deal and it expired).Sorry there are no offers we can make at this time take the 175 per month and like it.I ask how much for internet only ,response 100 per month.Does anyone have a more sensible way to get internet and TV ?Oh I forgot they did offer to remove all the channels I watch to bring the bill down to what I was normally paying.so same basic payment with no good channels.

#2 1 year ago

Is the cable bubble about to burst ?couldnt resist as I see this response coming

#4 1 year ago

I pay for internet only. Theres nothing on cable TV worth watching, its all garbage. I keep an antenna around so I can watch football in the fall/winter otherwise I pretty much only ever watch youtube or free services. I guess I miss out on some good series once in a while like game of thrones or whatnot but I can't be bothered to subscribe to every subscription service under the sun. I really like just watching youtube as my main video entertainment.

#5 1 year ago

Nfl games and UFC fights are what I want most and I can find those with internet only,My son needs internet for work .

#6 1 year ago
    Quoted from Jamesays:

Nfl games and UFC fights are what I want most and I can find those with internet only,My son needs internet for work .

yep and if you need those PPV fights or thursday or monday night NFL games....they aren't hard to find if you know what I mean

#7 1 year ago

I don't watch sports so I don't need live TV. I recommend going to Walgreens and buying refillable VISA gift cards. Sign up for Netflix for 1 month and put only enough money for that one month on the card to pay for it so it cannot auto renew. Then the next month do HBO. Do Paramount Plus Next... Disney Plus...Cinimeax... Rotate through all of it one at a time. If you do this there will ALWAY be something new and amazing to watch. My recommendations would be:

Game of Thrones
    Sopranos
    Breaking Bad
    Star Trek (start with "best of" lists)
    Witcher
    Band of Brothers
    John Adams
    The Pacific
    Seinfeld
    The Office

There is enough just in this small list to have you watching something new and amazing for years... and you will be at $20 per month max.

#8 1 year ago

Just get an amazon firestick or whatever they are called.

You can download pluto and sling and other things that are free if you can tolerate commercials.

I dont watch a ton of TV so the free stuff is fine with me.. if I want to watch a more current movie or something I will just pay for it on demand.

#9 1 year ago
    Quoted from Elvishasleft:

Just get an amazon firestick or whatever they are called.
    You can download pluto and sling and other things that are free if you can tolerate commercials.
    I dont watch a ton of TV so the free stuff is fine with me.. if I want to watch a more current movie or something I will just pay for it on demand.

what about internet ? I like the suggestions so far for shows.

#10 1 year ago

See if you have Toast (toast.net) in your area. They resell AT&T for a reduced price. I'm lucky to gave Google 2GB ($100/month). For TV, I use an over the air antenna connected to an HD Homerun tuner connected to a Plex setup on my NAS. Works great, has the full TV guide + DVR. Supplement with apps like Pluto or Roku and add Netflix or some of the other paid streaming services as you need. I haven't missed cable at all unless there is a game that is just on ESPN, but for those I just hit up the local pub.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/best-alternative-to-cable-tv-and-internet and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.