• Elvira/Party Monsters 7 votes
    11%
  • Bride of Pinbot 10 votes
    16%
  • Taxi 9 votes
    15%

(61 votes)

#1 8 years ago

You could possibly add a couple more... Earthshaker? But this seems like a solid list; hope I'm not spacing and missing an obvious one.

Vote and discuss.

#2 8 years ago
Quoted from KingDaddy:

hope I'm not spacing and missing an obvious one.
Vote and discuss.

HS

#3 8 years ago

On the bubble, IMO... Same with Earthshaker, Cyclone, Xenon, 8BD...

#4 8 years ago

Diner?

#5 8 years ago
Quoted from KingDaddy:

On the bubble, IMO... Same with Earhtshaker, Cyclone, Xenon, 8BD...

Ouch. I would go WW, with HS a close second. Bride & Elvira don't deserve to sniff some of the ones we're talking aboot....never been a big fan of ES either. Taxi is a great one though, and EBD is pure gold.

#6 8 years ago

I voted Taxi but I really enjoy all those games. Possibly my favorite era of games to play.

#7 8 years ago

Great game... Close... but Taxi is a cleaner layout and concept...

#8 8 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Ouch. I would go WW, with HS a close second. Bride & Elvira don't deserve to sniff some of the ones we're talking aboot....never been a big fan of ES either. Taxi is a great one though, and EBD is pure gold.

Just looked, my five are the five highest rated in our top 100 - so not a bad list... Did you vote?

#9 8 years ago
Quoted from KingDaddy:

Just looked, my five are the five highest rated in our top 100 - so not a bad list... Did you vote?

Just did yeah. BOP is just so one note to me...it's a fun game for sure but up against a tough game like Taxi I don't think it can hold a candle to it. BOP gets a ton of love because a girl's voice is actully talking to pinheads

#10 8 years ago

Whirlwind.

#11 8 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Just did yeah. BOP is just so one note to me...it's a fun game for sure but up against a tough game like Taxi I don't think it can hold a candle to it. BOP gets a ton of love because a girl's voice is actully talking to pinheads

I agree - I'm not a BOP fan... But I know it's highly regarded so had to put it on the list to fair.

#12 8 years ago

This looks more like "what's your favorite System 11?" to me. Nothing wrong with that, but there's a lot more to alphanumeric games than just the later ones, and being more modern doesn't mean they're better. Just a different style.

Right now I'd rather play classic 80s Ballys over System 11s. Just a more interesting way to play IMHO. If I want something more ramp focused I'm gonna just go ahead and move up to DMD era games.

I love my EATPM, but I'd sell it before my Flash Gordon for instance.

#13 8 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

but there's a lot more to alphanumeric games than just the later ones, and being more modern doesn't mean they're better.

True that. Damn Flash Gordon is a great game.

#14 8 years ago

Since when is EBD an alphanumeric game?

Funhouse hands down.

#15 8 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

This looks more like "what's your favorite System 11?" to me. Nothing wrong with that, but there's a lot more to alphanumeric games than just the later ones, and being more modern doesn't mean they're better. Just a different style.
Right now I'd rather play classic 80s Ballys over System 11s. Just a more interesting way to play IMHO. If I want something more ramp focused I'm gonna just go ahead and move up to DMD era games.
I love my EATPM, but I'd sell it before my Flash Gordon for instance.

Well the 80s Bally games aren't really alphanumeric, they're just numeric, right? Usually I classify those games as "early solid states", and then I classify games from '86 - '91 as alphanumerics.

#16 8 years ago

SOF hasn't been mentioned and that game is badass.

#17 8 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Since when is EBD an alphanumeric game?
Funhouse hands down.

Right, good thing I didn't put it down... That being said, this list could have been best non DMD/non EM games - and I would have likley had the same five.

#18 8 years ago
Quoted from WaddleJrJr:

Well the 80s Bally games aren't really alphanumeric, they're just numeric, right? Usually I classify those games as "early solid states", and then I classify games from '86 - '91 as alphanumerics.

That's how I understand things: if it's just numeric scores on the display, there's no "alpha" involved.

I figure Alphanumerics can provide more clarity and information to the player, and whether such was the intent or not, gameplay enhancements resulted leading to a different class of game. Otherwise the displays themselves would be unnecessary overkill...

#19 8 years ago
Quoted from WaddleJrJr:

Ah, well I guess that's true. I stand corrected!

#20 8 years ago

i was gonna say centaur but yeah i guess it doesnt count.

Funhouse, then.

#21 8 years ago

They are all great games, I refuse to choose on over the other. I would be proud to be the custodian of any of these machines.

#22 8 years ago
Quoted from Peppers:

They are all great games, I refuse to choose on over the other. I would be proud to be the custodian of any of these machines.

high five

#23 8 years ago

Pinbot is not on the list, so I went with BoP.

#24 8 years ago

I have a soft spot for the 6803 Bally games, which are technically alphanumeric. Also I like many of the early DE games like Robocop, Time Machine and Back to the Future.

#25 8 years ago

no love for banzai run?

#26 8 years ago
Quoted from stainedundies:

no love for Banzai Run?

I owned a BR for over a year. Gone without much regret. The vertical PF is truly interesting... the regular PF not so and in the end all you do is:
- lite any of the four riders - to be allowed to reach the upper PF
- reach the upper PF (which is easy, and can even backflipped from the left side)
- complete ABC to get 2x jump
- **Avoid** defeating that rider
- Jump
- rinse and repeat (scoring 2x50k for the first jump, then 2x75, 2x100, etc...)

BR would be much better if one could change its rules.

#27 8 years ago

Funhouse
Whirlwind
Phantom of the opera, for the finish

#28 8 years ago

Hyperball. That's right folks.

Chris

#29 8 years ago

Funhouse, followed by Whirlwind for me. Own both, and neither are going anywhere.

#30 8 years ago

Since Grand Lizard isn't on the list I will go with BOP

#31 8 years ago

Three big ones missing in my view: F14, Banzi Run and Sorcerer

#32 8 years ago

Your list of choices is rather curtailed, like asking What's your favorite ice cream, chocolate or vanilla? Why not open it up to ALL alphanumerics?

Not an a/n, but would be even more awesome if it was (if that's possible).

3 years later
#33 5 years ago

I learned that EBD actually was originally developed to use experimental Bally Alphanumeric displays but no more than a few were ever made. I know, I know, dinosaur thread has been dug up to the top... Add it back to the poll LOL!

I never voted but Funhouse is the best Alpha and Whirlwind is the best sys 11. Very few games that were designed before those two even come close to the fun, sound, gameplay, and depth.

#34 5 years ago

I find the lack of Radical in this poll disturbing.

#35 5 years ago

I find Radical! to be a fantastic game and would love to own one but I know it's not as good as Whirlwind.

Hell, if we're throwing Radical! in then we should add Surf n Safari and Torpedo Alley to the conversation.

#36 5 years ago

Damn, three year bump. I clicked on it hoping to see Radical. It is the best System 11 layout in my opinion, though I wish I could tweak and balance the scoring. I'm also going to give a shout out to Flash. That game is currently my "bang for your buck" winner. If someone said they wanted a machine for $1,000 that would be my vote (or Hardbody if they prefer a split playfield).

#37 5 years ago
Quoted from snyper2099:

I find Radical! to be a fantastic game and would love to own one but I know it's not as good as Whirlwind.
Hell, if we're throwing Radical! in then we should add Surf n Safari and Torpedo Alley to the conversation.

And I find whirlwind to be over rated. Would just rather have JP since its got a better theme.

Quoted from lpeters82:

Damn, three year bump. I clicked on it hoping to see Radical. It is the best System 11 layout in my opinion, though I wish I could tweak and balance the scoring. I'm also going to give a shout out to Flash. That game is currently my "bang for your buck" winner. If someone said they wanted a machine for $1,000 that would be my vote (or Hardbody if they prefer a split playfield).

Someone already did tweak Radical, recently too.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 39.00
Cabinet - Other
Arcade Upkeep
Other

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/best-alphanumeric-pins-votediscuss and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.