Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

3546A52A-40FC-4761-8D2A-F63A64815254 (resized).jpeg
73E15514-26E6-44C0-8CCA-4C0F70DBAC38 (resized).jpeg
DDD5A0B9-472E-4DBD-A8E0-EFB8B71D8E70 (resized).jpeg
CF201419-7F05-458A-9E0D-9D3C75FE1F32 (resized).jpeg
IMG_3580 (resized).jpg

There are 63 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 6 years ago

I have the most nostalgia for 90's titles based on my age but I'm realizing that they just lack the complexity/longevity of newer titles. Culprits include HS2, T2, then TAF, then others - I'm curious to know what you guys think is an older game that stands out in this regard (if any). TZ?

#2 6 years ago

Baywatch.

#3 6 years ago
#4 6 years ago

Afm, mb,mm

#5 6 years ago

You’ve been through every good 90s pin. Looks like it’s time to buy them again.

#6 6 years ago

Haha I thought that was the case too. : (

IJ is leading the pack for the return to 90s form although first is NGG as I've never owned before

#7 6 years ago

Funhouse or Creature. Simple doesn't mean it has to be a short-term pin for your house

#8 6 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

...although first is NGG as I've never owned before

Sadly no lasting power there.

#10 6 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

IJ is leading the pack for the return to 90s form although first is NGG as I've never owned before

We love our Indy. I grew up with Indiana Jones, great theme and great pin. NGG is fun too, not sure if it would last long in your collection

#11 6 years ago

Black Rose is the only 90s machine I've played 10+ times and aren't tired of

#12 6 years ago

TZ - first one bought, last one sold

#13 6 years ago

Can't say that I am in danger of getting bored of Scared Stiff.

#14 6 years ago

T2 for sure! Nothing beats Arny's quotes. Will never sell this one. Funhouse, Timezone and Eightball Deluxe are great also.

IMG_3580 (resized).jpgIMG_3580 (resized).jpg

#16 6 years ago

The Shadow - every time I think about selling, I image not having that cool upper playfield, fun diverters, magnet lock, and fast inner loop -so much unique stuff in one pin. Plus the challenging modes and multiballs to light the scarf and great sounds; it’s a keeper for me.

#17 6 years ago

I have had Shadow, White Water, Twilight Zone, and Creature for nearly 20 years now. Still love them...

#18 6 years ago

Unfortunately non of the 90s themes last for me with the newer jjp/sterns around. I have a AFMr but gets very little play.

#19 6 years ago
Quoted from ThatOneDude:

Can't say that I am in danger of getting bored of Scared Stiff.

You must not have had it for long....

#20 6 years ago
Quoted from Allibaster:

Gotta love pinside.

#21 6 years ago
Quoted from zimbakin:

Eight Ball Deluxe are great also.

EBD is an 81

#22 6 years ago
Quoted from woody76:

Unfortunately non of the 90s themes last for me with the newer jjp/sterns around. I have a AFMr but gets very little play.

Agreed.. owned most great b/w90s pins . Tz is leaving this weekend which is probably the best 90s pin overall but lasted over 3 years . After getting dile and rrwoz the older stuff dont get played as much. Looks like mostly jjp for me in the future

#23 6 years ago
Quoted from Allibaster:

Agreed... it gets old pretty quickly.... cool pin but dont have legs for long term imo

#24 6 years ago

TZ for me. I guess all pins get old at some point. I'm still in the honeymoon phase with my TZ but played it a ton in the past. It just never gets old for me. Shadow is also pretty good. Fun to play, different ways to play, and very tough to master. Complex/deep code doesn't always equal fun for me.

#25 6 years ago

I find with a larger collection, you get to rediscover games. Most of my pinball time is for restorations for customers and league night. So when I actually get to play my games even if it's something I haven't played in 2 months, I'm rengized again on how awesome a game is.....in the end though if your trying to play pinball everyday/week with just 5 games, their all going to get old quick.....if your not playing in a league go find one, you'll be begging for a break after a 10 week grind but itching to get back at it after 2 weeks off

#26 6 years ago

I think it depends on the size of the collection really and personal preference of course. I have TZ, MM, AFM, WH20, Congo, IJ, TAF, TS, and CFTBL. I really like all of them and don't want to sell any of them. I love different aspects of the layouts, artwork, gameplay, callouts, music, game features, etc... There's a lot to love in the 90's games.

I'm usually playing 3-4 pins at a time, so I rotate around and I don't really burn out on anything. They aren't as deep as modern games, but I like that variety and like the simple ruleset games. They help balance out newer games. I don't want every game I own to be super deep.

#27 6 years ago

Such a vague question. You can make an argument for almost any game.

So many things can affect longevity...rules, modes, theme, sound, the satisfaction of a certain shot/completion...

I've pretty much played em all and owned most and for me it's not about MORE. I don't enjoy the "packed" games like TZ, TSPP, or Hobbit any more than I do the simple ones, in fact I tend to prefer the latter. It's the satisfaction I get from certain parts of that game in the little time I get to play them. I suppose if I was playing them for hours every day it would be different but then I'd find something else to do with all of that time.

Things I enjoy about some of the games currently in my game room:
BK2K - Awesome music to get me in the game, just trying to get a multiball going and do anything with it.
AC/DC - Complete a few songs by making the shots that I need to.
NGG - Whack some gofers, hit a hole-in-one when I'm actually aiming for it.
TX Sector - Cool sounds and effects.

I think that, like most things in life, the key to enjoying the pinball hobby is to find what you like, play at proper intervals (don't wear it out), and mix it up every once and a while. Pretty much the same advice for a good sex life

#28 6 years ago
Quoted from Rockytop:

I think it depends on the size of the collection really and personal preference of course. I have TZ, MM, AFM, WH20, Congo, IJ, TAF, TS, and CFTBL. I really like all of them and don't want to sell any of them. I love different aspects of the layouts, artwork, gameplay, callouts, music, game features, etc... There's a lot to love in the 90's games.
I'm usually playing 3-4 pins at a time, so I rotate around and I don't really burn out on anything. They aren't as deep as modern games, but I like that variety and like the simple ruleset games. They help balance out newer games. I don't want every game I own to be super deep.

That's a nice lineup. What's the top three of those?

#29 6 years ago

Oops. Didn't think I was that old... oh well

#30 6 years ago

The spinning lights on Black Knight 2k playfield still give me a headache. It's a good game in short bursts.

#31 6 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

I have the most nostalgia for 90's titles based on my age but I'm realizing that they just lack the complexity/longevity of newer titles. Culprits include HS2, T2, then TAF, then others - I'm curious to know what you guys think is an older game that stands out in this regard (if any). TZ?

The Shadow. Have you played it? Many ways to approach the game.

#32 6 years ago

BSD.

All about getting all three multiballs running for huge jackpots. No chopping wood or modes that get stale. Just racking up points, which isn’t easy to pull off. Not every game has to have insane depth to have longevity.

THIIIIIRRRRRTY MIIIIIILLLLLLIONNNNN!!!

#33 6 years ago
Quoted from Allibaster:

Don't actually have one. It's just my go to game when I get the chance, which is usually once a week these days.
Loved it the first time I played it in the 90s, love it today.

#34 6 years ago
Quoted from HoakyPoaky:

BSD.
All about getting all three multiballs running for huge jackpots. No chopping wood or modes that get stale. Just racking up points, which isn’t easy to pull off. Not every game has to have insane depth to have longevity.
THIIIIIRRRRRTY MIIIIIILLLLLLIONNNNN!!!

Agreed. I have gone through many newer titles that have a dictionary sized rule sheet and BSD will never leave. It is such a brutal game but so rewarding. Never gets old. Lotr & BSD make a sweet combo!

#35 6 years ago

MM
TZ
JM
AFM
RS
WH2O
Shadow

#36 6 years ago

Everyone just listing their favourite game!

Attack from Mars is the only game that I didn't immediately want to sell when I finished wizard mode.
I just turned off extra balls, and opened the outlanes all the way.
Don't think I will ever get sick of it.

#37 6 years ago

Depends how good you are I guess! I will say right now Creature really has my attention.

#38 6 years ago

Love my T2

CF201419-7F05-458A-9E0D-9D3C75FE1F32 (resized).jpegCF201419-7F05-458A-9E0D-9D3C75FE1F32 (resized).jpeg

DDD5A0B9-472E-4DBD-A8E0-EFB8B71D8E70 (resized).jpegDDD5A0B9-472E-4DBD-A8E0-EFB8B71D8E70 (resized).jpeg

73E15514-26E6-44C0-8CCA-4C0F70DBAC38 (resized).jpeg73E15514-26E6-44C0-8CCA-4C0F70DBAC38 (resized).jpeg

3546A52A-40FC-4761-8D2A-F63A64815254 (resized).jpeg3546A52A-40FC-4761-8D2A-F63A64815254 (resized).jpeg

#39 6 years ago
Quoted from jonesjb:

The Shadow. Have you played it? Many ways to approach the game.

shadow is probably the game I got bored of fastest. Lasted a couple of weeks, but I did get offered a good trade for it, which made it easy to move for me.

I find that White Water has good replay value, as well as Creature.

#40 6 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

That's a nice lineup. What's the top three of those?

That's tough...maybe AFM, TZ, and IJ. My answer to that would change all the time.

#41 6 years ago

It's funny. I tired of MM very quickly, but out of my collection, NGG would be the last to leave.

#42 6 years ago
Quoted from gliebig:

It's funny. I tired of MM very quickly, but out of my collection, NGG would be the last to leave.

I never thought I would keep NGG, but here it is, 3 years later, still in my collection. There's something about it for sure.....

#43 6 years ago

TZ is the only one I have left but I'd bring back TAF.

#44 6 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

I'm curious to know what you guys think is an older game that stands out in this regard (if any). TZ?

I agree with the 3 titles you listed regarding a lack of longevity. I own a restored HS2 but it's not because it has amazing replay value. It's just an overall good game that I remember playing when it was new.

I really do not think any "classic 90's" pin will really quench your thirst. Here are some games that friends of mine have owned for years and I don't see them sell around here very often.

TZ - there is a lot to do in 3 balls
AFM - first perfect fan layout + theme
MM - setting aside theme and ridiculousness, it's very approachable and there is a reason that it STILL does good on location
TS - very difficult to complete
I500 - very fast and very difficult
Whirlwind - it is THE single game that contains features that really transformed multiball play, wizard modes, and in a lot of ways, the entire industry
JD or DemoMan - not really budget titles any more but they have a ton of replay value and can have short ball times unless you spend a lot of time with them
BSD - it's not the best game ever but has some near perfection regarding sounds, animation dots, art, and some unique features
DW - can play difficult but has unique rules and teaches you to really think about playing choices and strategy in multiplayer

I think that a person's skill level has something to do with all this as well. If you play through everything there is to see in a week, you may gravitate towards games like WOZ, DI, and TSPP where it's near impossible to play though everything that there is to see.

Personally, those games get boring for me but it has nothing do with my skill set.

Out of the 90ish games I've owed, only a handful never get old to me.

#45 6 years ago
Quoted from AUKraut:

TZ - first one bought, last one sold

TZ 2nd bought last to go

#46 6 years ago

My subjective opinion is that a game doesn't have to be deep to have longevity. It just has to have rules that give the player different ways of approaching the rules.

For example, games like TAF and TZ might have a lot to do, but really, it boils down to "hit the ramp, then the scoop, play the mode, and move on." I tend to get tired of those types of games rather quickly. Especially when the "things to do" are linear, and also when there really aren't other ways to maximize your scoring potential.

However, games like BSD, White Water, and Doctor Who have different ways to approach the same game, and in the case of White Water, the shots are randomized in such a way that each game is different. Games need to have strategy, and different ways to approach the same objective to keep themselves interesting.

#47 6 years ago

Twilight Zone has so much going on, so many ways to approach it.. LITZ/hitchhikers/battling the power/modes/multiball/etc. Powerball!!!

#48 6 years ago

For me AFM & Wh20 never get old but for the 3rd game I’m thinking IJ even though ive never owned so not 100% sure on that but the other 2 are good to go

3 weeks later
#49 5 years ago

What did you go with?

#50 5 years ago

Scared Stiff...Awesome art, call outs, great balanced playfield. Not too hard of a wizard mode to reach, but tough to finish...

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 12.50
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus
Decals
$ 110.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod
Toys/Add-ons
5,800 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Thornton, CO
$ 12.95
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Pimp
Decals
Machine - For Sale
Williamston, MI
$ 119.99
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs
(Alt) Translites
$ 49.99
$ 123.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods
Toys/Add-ons
$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields
Decals
$ 29.95
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Pimp
Decals
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop
Armor and blades
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC
Decorations
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
Eproms
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Toys/Add-ons
5,250 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Tucson, AZ
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC
Decorations
Machine - For Sale
Mt Zion, IL
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
Toys/Add-ons
$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball
Protection
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC
Various novelties
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
Toys/Add-ons
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
Eproms
$ 359.00
Playfield - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™
Other
$ 85.00
$ 62.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods
Toys/Add-ons
$ 37.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts
Interactive
$ 59.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod
Toys/Add-ons
$ 22.50
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 63 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/best-90s-game-for-longevity and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.