View topic image gallery

IMG_8907 (resized).jpg
IMG_8913 (resized).jpg
BEFORE (resized).JPG
AFTER (resized).JPG
LAH 2 (resized).jpg
LAH 1 (resized).jpg
#1 7 years ago

I just purchased some polarizing film off ebay. They are large sheets 19" x 39"... That was enough to cover the entire backbox of my x-files and probably 4 DMD screens. Alternately, I'm sure one piece of the film would probably cover 20 DMD screens (just guessing).

They are adhesive on one side and go on very easily. There is also a film on the front side, so don't forget to take that off.

It cut the reflection of the DMD on the playfield by probably 90%, and reduced reflection of backbox by probably 50%. This film does darken the backbox and DMD slightly, but I would say it almost improved the backbox on the x-files as it seems to have more contrast.

Here's the link...ebay.com link: itm

as of the writing of this post, there is 152 of them available, and they cost only $26.88 per sheet with free shipping.

Please note... I am not affiliated with this seller in any way... just wanted to pass info on a great deal.

#2 7 years ago

Would love to have seen some before and after pics.
-Mike

#3 7 years ago
Quoted from Grizlyrig:

-Mike

Seconded if possible!

#4 7 years ago

me too - I'm close to buying this....

and does it come off easily if I don't like the way it looks.

#5 7 years ago
Quoted from Grizlyrig:

-Mike

Unfortunately I did not take any before pics, but can take some after pics when I get home. It's a huge difference on the DMD, and decent improvement from the backglass.

I may be taking the film off the backglass soon since I didn't take the time required to apply it properly and there are some air bubbles, so I'll soon know how easily it comes off. I'll report back once I do it.

#6 7 years ago

Interesting....

#7 7 years ago

I was looking for a gel filter of sorts to darken my LED DMD a bit and this may be a good option. Waiting on photos. What type of DMD do you have?

#8 7 years ago

Interesting...

#9 7 years ago

Is there polarized glass? Seems like one could replace the back box with it - I wonder if it would work better/same? Obviously would cost more... looking forward to the pics!

#10 7 years ago

I ordered some of this stuff. Once it gets here I'll give it a try and post some before and after pics.

#11 7 years ago

Here is a video I took of a video mod I installed, but shows what reflection there is... you can see when you are right on top of it, there is still a bit of reflection, but when you step back to where you are standing during playing (the last 1/4 of the video), you can see that there is almost no glare...

#12 7 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

and does it come off easily if I don't like the way it looks.

I did just attempt to pull a corner off of it, and it does just peel off... has about the sticky-ness of clear packing tape.

#13 7 years ago

Years ago Pinball Pal was selling these actual DMD size and it was about the same 'material' and worked great.

#14 7 years ago
Quoted from Cash_Riprock:

Years ago Pinball Pal was selling these actual DMD size and it was about the same 'material' and worked great.

There are still several places selling pre-cut ones (which is where I looked first) For example comet pinball has the dmd glare eliminator for $18.

But I haven't seen anywhere else you can get a large enough film to cover the backbox. This sheet covers the backbox and has anough left over for several DMD's

#15 7 years ago

On the new SPIKE games, you can just turn down the Backbox lights to achieve the same effect.

I dropped mine to 5%. No reflection.

#16 7 years ago

Looks pretty dark - how much does it darken the backglass when the game is off?

#17 7 years ago
Quoted from twenty84:

I ordered some of this stuff. Once it gets here I'll give it a try and post some before and after pics.

So did I. Will be showing the install using a Fast Pinball LED display.

#18 7 years ago
Quoted from snakesnsparklers:

Here's a couple pics on my LAH with a scrap of the film just taped up there with the lights on and off.

As I said before... it does darken it, but especially when the lights are out, it seems to add more contrast to the picture which improves the overall look imho.

LAH 1 (resized).jpgLAH 1 (resized).jpg

LAH 2 (resized).jpgLAH 2 (resized).jpg

#20 7 years ago
Quoted from Scorch:

Here's a couple pics on my LAH with a scrap of the film just taped up there with the lights on and off.
As I said before... it does darken it, but especially when the lights are out, it seems to add more contrast to the picture which improves the overall look imho.

Which is the very reason I'll be using it with my LED displays. Contrast will be much better with unlit pixels. I want them to vanish to black.

#21 7 years ago

It will take the brightness down by about 50%, as the light from the backlight should be largely unpolarized. Same with the DMD (unless it's a Color DMD, in which case it is either 50% or unaffected depending on panel type used). Also to note, there really should be an orientation of the film which is "better". Most of the glare seen will be horizontally polarized, to minimize the glare, you want to put the polarizer in the vertical orientation (think polarized sunglasses) so there will be little horizontally polarized light to reflect... Or in simple terms, rotate the film in front of the backlight, have some one tell you which way is better for glare at the shooter position.

#22 7 years ago

I purchased a sheet to try on my Funhouse. I currently have a next gen translite installed with cool white LEDs behind it. The reflection on the upper playfield glass is pretty bad.

The film arrived quickly and laid perfectly flat when removed from the cardboard tube it was shipped in. I cleaned my backglass and then cut the film to size using a sharp razor. I peeled back an inch or so from the adhesive side and started to apply it to the glass. After I finished applying the film, I removed the outside protective coating. With the protective layer removed, I quickly noticed there were lots of small bubbles all over the glass. While not pleased, I went ahead and reassembled the translite and placed in the game.

With the game off, the translite is very dark(sorry I forgot to grab a pic). The bubbles I mentioned above are very noticeable. With the game on, the translite is darker and the bubbles are hardly noticeable. The reflection on the upper playfield glass is greatly reduced.

Unfortunately the backbox pictures I took dont really show a difference. However in person though, the translite is noticeable darker and does have more contrast than before. As for the upper playfield reflection, see below:

UPPER PLAYFIELD BEFORE
BEFORE (resized).JPGBEFORE (resized).JPG

UPPER PLAYFIELD AFTER
AFTER (resized).JPGAFTER (resized).JPG

Huge improvement with the film added.

Now for the bad news, I was unhappy with the bubbles and attempted to remove the film to re-apply. During this process the film tore into several pieces.

I have since removed the entire film and debating if I should try again or seek other options. I took my time applying and had a clean surface before I started. Not quite sure what happened.

#23 7 years ago
Quoted from Scorch:

WHOA....doesn't darken that enough

#24 7 years ago
Quoted from grbgemen:

Huge improvement with the film added.
Now for the bad news, I was unhappy with the bubbles and attempted to remove the film to re-apply. During this process the film tore into several pieces.
I have since removed the entire film and debating if I should try again or seek other options. I took my time applying and had a clean surface before I started. Not quite sure what happened.

I also had some bubbles as I mentioned. My plan was to re-apply using some soapy water and a squegee. Hopefully that does the trick.

1 week later
#25 7 years ago

I just got some of this stuff. Here is what I found:

1. On LED DMD displays and the ColorDMD LED display it makes a huge difference

2. On only ColorDMD LCD displays it doesn't work because it produces a moire effect. On the new ColorDMD LCDs I have it doesn't have this effect, but I think these displays aren't nearly as bright as LED displays so it really isn't needed.

3. On My JJP games (WOZ and Hobbit) it didn't have much of an effect on the display, but these games both have invisiglass.

4. On Stern LCD games (BM66) it improves the glare from the LCD, but it isn't as big of an effect since these displays aren't as bright.

I haven't tried it on the translight. I tried putting a couple small pieces over the bright white LEDs on the Spike boards that light the trans light and that yielded an improved although minor effect.

IMG_8913 (resized).jpgIMG_8913 (resized).jpg

IMG_8907 (resized).jpgIMG_8907 (resized).jpg

#26 7 years ago

Excellent! Looks like a good solution to the LED contrast issue.

5 months later
#27 6 years ago

My order never processed so I found Comet's DMD glare eliminator as an alternative. I am not sure if this is the same type of film but I would highly recommend it for LED displays!

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/comet-dmd-glare-eliminator-vids-review/page/2#post-3923568

#28 6 years ago

The Comet version is different from a Polarizing film.
It uses 3M anti Louvre technology for privacy...same used in Banks, and Laptop privacy screens.

It prevents light/viewing from any angle, other than straight on.
For that reason, it eliminates DMD reflection on standard glass.

Its the first thing I do an every new DMD game I get.

#29 6 years ago

A few weeks ago, we added new sizes as well. In addition to the standard size which will work for Bally Williams and Stern DMDs, we've got a new one cut for the large format Sega DMDs (Batman Forever, Baywatch, Frankenstein, and Maverick), and another cut for Stern LCDs.

#30 6 years ago

Awesome, Ryan!

I hope youll start a thread with some pics!

A

#31 6 years ago
Quoted from ryanwanger:

A few weeks ago, we added new sizes as well. In addition to the standard size which will work for Bally Williams and Stern DMDs, we've got a new one cut for the large format Sega DMDs (Batman Forever, Baywatch, Frankenstein, and Maverick), and another cut for Stern LCDs.

Awesome! I will be buying another for my Frankenstein when I swap it for an LED display.

8 months later
#32 5 years ago

Just a quick update....

I tried installing with the wet technique on the dmd of my newest game and it worked much better. No bubbles. Probably won’t do the back glass since it’s a t3 and it’s already pretty dark

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Rubber/Silicone
ScottieIA Mods

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 40.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 6.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 12.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 1.00
Lighting - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

4,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Quincy, FL
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 9.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 5.00
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Blackwood, NJ
250 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Canton, OH
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/best-25-you-can-spend-large-polarizing-film-for-backboxdmd and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.