(Topic ID: 119076)

Best $1000 Game for Casual Adults and 10~ Year Old Kids?

By herbertbsharp

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

There are 66 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
#51 9 years ago

I think Dr. Dude is a pretty fun game. Maybe on the high end of your budget, but It's pretty simple to play. Kids would like it.

#52 9 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

Maybe because EMs suck and aren't fun. I can't see any 10 year old kids being enticed by these relics.

Hmm, so we can take your tired ignorance on this topic, based on nothing, or we can take my direct experience with large groups of 10 years olds who are regularly here and constantly ask me if they can play my EMs.

I'm going with my experience I think!

My eldest daughter is 10, and her Girl Scout troop meets at our house, and she has friends over, and they all love my pins, including the EMs.

#53 9 years ago

Change that and open up dozens of great options...

#54 9 years ago

Depends on the kids. Not all kids are that into pinball. One of my nephews who I thought would love pinball didn't even want to play when offered.

Condition is also critical. At that price level, you are looking at older pins that are not in the best condition. My advice would be to prioritize condition over title.

#55 9 years ago

I would suggest a few EMs also but the OP said can't be EMs so I won't . I do suggest whatever it is get something with short ball times kids lose interest quickly .

#56 9 years ago
Quoted from trilogybeer:

I would suggest a few EMs

You could get a solid 100% working EM for $500-700 easy...they hold their value so you could turn it over and get different titles every once in a while.

#57 9 years ago

Why not something plentiful and relatively inexpensive, like a Williams Flash?

#58 9 years ago
Quoted from Wickerman2:

You could get a solid 100% working EM for $500-700 easy.

Yep and a $500-700 EM would be more reliable than a $500-700 Solid State .

#59 9 years ago

What about Gladiators? I've only played it on virtual pinball but I heard good things about it and that it goes for $1000

OT though I find EM's a little boring my son does love playing them at the Silverball pinball museum.

#60 9 years ago
Quoted from phillymadison:

I find EM's a little boring my son does love playing them at the Silverball pinball museum

Kids will eventually get bored with ANY toy...and there's nothing saying they have to love pinball in general. That's why a cheap working EM--like a Gottlieb--would be perfect. You can resell anytime for the same price and change titles. Wedgeheads are great since they are smaller and super easy to transport....I would not want an old SS pin as a first pin if I knew nothing of repair. I think you need to spend a bit more than $1000 for a solid low maintenance SS as a beginner...

2 weeks later
#61 9 years ago
Quoted from neurokinetik:

Why not something plentiful and relatively inexpensive, like a Williams Flash?

That's just what I was going to say. One of these, even in pretty good shape, could be had for under 1k. Not to mention these are still pretty straightforward to work on when trying to troubleshoot problems. Anyway just my 2 cents.

#62 9 years ago

Isn't break shot kind of suggestive??

#63 9 years ago

ACDC is very subjective yet my kid has no idea what the suggestions are.

#64 9 years ago

Classic Bally-
Skateball
Eight ball
Power Play
Etc..
Lots of games in range, if you keep it simple.
Simple is good, a first time buyer doesn't need the headache of resets, Ball trough, lock mechs, display issues, etc.. that comes with more modern, muiltiball-type games.

#65 9 years ago
Quoted from pinnaf:

problem is this. You put limit of $1000-$1200 on your game.... I get it, but most folks are mentioning games that probably will be at YOUR HIGH POINT (yeah, or they would have bought them first... me too! HA)
Here's where your financial quandary lies: You top out and pay $1000 - $1200 for a LW3, and you risk that you may have inherited problems and issues , along with acquiring your own with any pinball and play. Okay,,,,, NOW YOUR FINANCIAL LIMITS ARE MET and YOU NEED PARTS, LABOR and such to be able to play it or experience full game play at 100%. If those repairs are not met the 10-12 year old will figure it out eventually and it will SIT! $1000lb anchor.
you get my point. Don't buy a Ferrari unless you can afford the gas (AND PARTS and MECHANIC to fix it)
hate to be a Debbie Downer but either 1 of two things are most plausible:
1. you find a steal of a deal in a LW3, LAH or data east - gottlieb game for $600-700 (and bank $300-400 for future fixes/parts/labor whatever)
2. you set your sights a little lower and seek a $600-700 good game from the start... okay enter the 2nd quandary... what "GOOD FUN EXCITING FULLY WORKING HAVE A BLAST" game sells for $600???
As far as that LIST OF GAMES in that price range, sorry cant help ya.
Not trying to discourage your friend but a little forethought may go a long way.
GOOD LUCK and patience with a sprinkle of luck may be his best friend!!!!!!

I am going to have to agree with this post. You will have to leave budget space for repairs. Most of these old games will not be in complete working order when you buy them. Especially at the lower end of the scale.

#66 9 years ago

Tell her to stick with an Xbox

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 12.95
Trade
Machine - For Trade
Washington Court House, OH
$ 53.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 15.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RobTune

Cabinet - Other
UpKick Pinball

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

Machine - For Sale
Copley, OH
$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
RobTune

$ 25.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 10.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Haus

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

4,995 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Dunakeszi
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 20.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 29.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 39.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 29.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 50.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Slipstream Mod Shop

$ 29.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Machine - For Sale
Orange, CA
There are 66 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/best-1000-game-for-casual-adults-and-10-year-old-kids/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.