(Topic ID: 119076)

Best $1000 Game for Casual Adults and 10~ Year Old Kids?

By herbertbsharp

4 years ago

Topic Stats

• 66 posts
  • 51 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by SilverBallz
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

There are 66 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 4 years ago

A co-worker of mine brought up buying a pinball machine for her kids. What do you guys think the best machine would be for around $1000? Rules: can't be an EM or over $1200... I know it's a tough price point, what would you buy?

#2 4 years ago

High speeds a winner, Space shuttle is cool too

#3 4 years ago

I would try to stretch it to $1400-1500 and look at a Last Action Hero

#4 4 years ago

Considering High Speed still floats around the $800-1200 mark, and I Agree that Space Shuttle is classic push start again type of game.

But can the co-worker repair? is the question. If not, probably a good idea to rule out any Gottlieb that isn't a system 3,

Comet is always a good starter pin with universal appeal, very affordable, very reliable, not much to go wrong.

#5 4 years ago

Good suggestions so far.

I would actually say Shaq Attaq is good value for money, and they don't seem to go much over a grand around here. Then again, other Gottlieb System 3 games are similarly cheap and probably play better.

#6 4 years ago

teed' off is a good one in that price range. Has the gopher that makes fun of you, i think kids would like that.

#7 4 years ago

Classic Black Knight is always a crowd favorite in the 1200 - 1300 price range

#10 4 years ago

Not a pin but really is the best party game -Slugfest

#11 4 years ago

I would consider something like Striker Xtreme. That's a great DMD game that I think has a lot of appeal and is severely underrated.

#12 4 years ago

Game show is a great casual pin and you can find them under 1k

#13 4 years ago

LW3. Best bang for the buck game, period...

#14 4 years ago

I have a small, but nice collection.
Funhouse
WW
AF
HH
KO'D
Slick Chick
Drop a Card
Supersonic
LW3 will never leave.

#15 4 years ago

I agree with LW3, SXT or HS! There are a few more games for $600-$800 more. RCT, WCS, Mario games.

#16 4 years ago

The problem is LW3 has zero appeal to kids, although it may appeal to mom...lol.

HS is okay for kids but I had to explain to my 7 year old that running away from the police was not a good thing.

I'll take all these you can find for $1200, they just don't exist anymore.

#17 4 years ago

I added money on to get WCS. I payed $1800 for mine and kids love it.

#18 4 years ago

F-14 Tomcat. Great light show.

#19 4 years ago

Cyclone is a lot of fun and a nice one can probably be found around that price point. "Hey! You! With the face!"

#21 4 years ago

At around $1000, I'm partial to Pinbot.

#22 4 years ago
Quoted from floyd1977:

At around $1000, I'm partial to Pinbot.

Pinbot is an awesome game but, personally speaking, it appealed to me more as an adult than it did when I was a teenager. That's just me though...

#23 4 years ago
Quoted from Triumvirat73:

Cyclone is a lot of fun and a nice one can probably be found around that price point. "Hey! You! With the face!"

Agree 100% here.

I think High Speed would be too brutal for a 10 year old. Getting MB isn't a gimmie and really that's all their is in the game.

With Cyclone, there is no MB. The quotes and music are fun. Kids love hitting the ferris wheel. The spook house has the animated backglass. It's a fun game just to bat the ball around for kids and newbies. The ramps can really help build a great score so a more skilled player will still be entertained.

Jokerz is another fun game that's worth considering. I think they tend to sell in the desired price range.

Otherwise, like someone else posted, I'd suggest adding some cash and increasing the budget to $1,800 or so. WCS is a great family game in that price range.

#24 4 years ago
Quoted from Triumvirat73:

Pinbot is an awesome game but, personally speaking, it appealed to me more as an adult than it did when I was a teenager. That's just me though...

Wow! Great minds think alike. I didn't really like Pinbot back in the day. I found it really boring. I didn't understand rules though. Cyclone is actually the first game that got my interest in pinball. The ferris wheel. Such a simple toy, but it was really fun to hit it, hear the music and then have the ball lined up to hit the ramp. Also, loved the spook house.

Later, as an adult, when I re-visited Pinbot, I realized what a great game it was and is. Wouldn't recommend it for a young player necessarily though.

#25 4 years ago

Anything Gottlieb System 3 Is great for this. Most have easy multiballs and have kid friendly themes.

#26 4 years ago

I second the Shaq Attaq.

#27 4 years ago

LW3 my kids love it.

#28 4 years ago
Quoted from helicopter:

The problem is LW3 has zero appeal to kids, although it may appeal to mom...lol.
I have 4 kids and they all love it. Got the LW3 back in 2001. Cabinet is crappy and has sloppy spray paint touchups everywhere. They could care less. They told me I could never sell it.

#29 4 years ago

I second Police Force

#30 4 years ago
Quoted from SuS:

2nd! Great game for the price.

#31 4 years ago

+1 to Police force, F14 and mousin' around
Add Bad cats?

#33 4 years ago

How about Rescue 911? I have not played it yet, but have heard it's not too bad for the money.

#34 4 years ago

+1 for Comet and/or Cyclone. Great games, and age appropriate theme with great artwork and sound.

#35 4 years ago

Cyclone or High Speed--definitely one of those 2.

Popped into my head without reading one thread in this string.

#36 4 years ago

Great answers so far! Thanks! Keep 'em coming!

Quoted from tl54hill:

I would try to stretch it to $1400-1500 and look at a Last Action Hero

Sorry, but if either of these pop up I'm buying them first!

#37 4 years ago

too bad about the "no em's" restriction, as the combination of simple rulesets and short game times lends itself perfectly to the situation at hand...

#38 4 years ago

Why did you add the "can't be an EM" restriction? Is that arbitrary or does it have some actual logic behind it?

I ask because I regularly have a house full of 10 year olds, and they absolutely love playing my EMs. They dig the solid states too (look at my collection, I have some variety), but the EMs are really attractive to them, because they're easy to understand. They always ask me if they can play them and tell me how much they love them.

For $1000 you could get an EM in nice shape, that was all shopped out and working. And a properly set up EM that's played with some regularity is pretty bulletproof.

#39 4 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

For $1000 you could get an EM in nice shape, that was all shopped out and working. And a properly set up EM that's played with some regularity is pretty bulletproof.

For $1000 you should be able to get two decent EM's. Not the highly desired titles, but two decent games.

#40 4 years ago

I agree with the kids get a Cyclone or Comet.

or just get a couple em's. When i was a kid we had some em's in the basement and i played them to death.

#41 4 years ago
Quoted from 85Txaggie:

For $1000 you should be able to get two decent EM's. Not the highly desired titles, but two decent games.

For what it's worth the EMs the kids at my house play are Abra Ca Dabra and Sky Jump. Multiplayer might be cool, but they don't really grasp that, it's easier to just let them take turns, short ball times anyways.

#42 4 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Multiplayer might be cool, but they don't really grasp that

This is typically one of the top two things that new players at my house mention. They either didn't know multiple people could play at the same time, or they didn't realize each pinball machine had different rules.

#43 4 years ago

water world!

#44 4 years ago

I'll take 3 Bad Cats & Mousin Arounds for $1k each... Thank You!

OP asked for suggestions for $1000 game:
Police Force & Game Show at $1000 each in very nice condition, is my vote.

#45 4 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Why did you add the "can't be an EM" restriction? Is that arbitrary or does it have some actual logic behind it?

Maybe because EMs suck and aren't fun. I can't see any 10 year old kids being enticed by these relics.

#46 4 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

Maybe because EMs suck and aren't fun.

Based on that answer, I'd say there's no actual logic behind it.

#47 4 years ago
Quoted from SuS:

More than just a light show here. Great sound & music imo too.
- They will get good quick compared to other slower games.
- Never gets boring, compared to so many other games.
- Difficulty keeps you coming back for more.

#48 4 years ago

Road kings...!!!...everybody loves motorcycles...and you'll have some money left over.............Joey

#49 4 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

Maybe because EMs suck and aren't fun. I can't see any 10 year old kids being enticed by these relics.

I have an 8 and 4 year old and they love EM's. Not sure what scientific method you are using for that stellar analysis...

#50 4 years ago

problem is this. You put limit of $1000-$1200 on your game.... I get it, but most folks are mentioning games that probably will be at YOUR HIGH POINT (yeah, or they would have bought them first... me too! HA)

Here's where your financial quandary lies: You top out and pay $1000 - $1200 for a LW3, and you risk that you may have inherited problems and issues , along with acquiring your own with any pinball and play. Okay,,,,, NOW YOUR FINANCIAL LIMITS ARE MET and YOU NEED PARTS, LABOR and such to be able to play it or experience full game play at 100%. If those repairs are not met the 10-12 year old will figure it out eventually and it will SIT! $1000lb anchor.

you get my point. Don't buy a Ferrari unless you can afford the gas (AND PARTS and MECHANIC to fix it)

hate to be a Debbie Downer but either 1 of two things are most plausible:
1. you find a steal of a deal in a LW3, LAH or data east - gottlieb game for $600-700 (and bank $300-400 for future fixes/parts/labor whatever)
2. you set your sights a little lower and seek a $600-700 good game from the start... okay enter the 2nd quandary... what "GOOD FUN EXCITING FULLY WORKING HAVE A BLAST" game sells for $600???

As far as that LIST OF GAMES in that price range, sorry cant help ya.

Not trying to discourage your friend but a little forethought may go a long way.

GOOD LUCK and patience with a sprinkle of luck may be his best friend!!!!!!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Machine - For Sale
Cincinnati, OH
$ 399.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball LEDs
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
There are 66 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside