Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 87 posts
  • 77 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 years ago by Sarge
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

There are 87 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 11 years ago

What's the best pairing of only 2 machines you can think of? Is it a great fan layout (AFM) paired with a great shooter's game (TZ)? Is it something based on themes (Pinbot and Bride of Pinbot)? Narrowing it only to two choices, what two machines would you pair if you had unlimited budget, but could only choose two?

For me, I think it's the two machines that give you the most diversity between them, so I would pick Attack From Mars (my favorite fan game) and Twilight Zone (favorite overall game). Second place would be The Simpsons Pinball Party with Spider-Man or Lord of the Rings.

Note: This is also our contest question for Episode 9 of The Pinball Podcast. If you reply, you're eligible to win. You can opt out if you want by saying so, but hey, who doesn't want free stuff for just talkin' pinball?

#2 11 years ago

I'd like a pairing of something easy next to somthing hard.. like Scared Stiff next to Lord of the Rings. At least that is my 5 year plan.

#3 11 years ago

That would be an excellent pairing, actually. Pretty diverse pair, but both are fantastic themes and fun for both casual and hardcore players.

#4 11 years ago

When my game room is finished I plan on pairing ij with the shadow, in a different section from the rest of the games. The color of the artwork is a nice contrast but both have some common elements as they are both doug watson art games, and have the gun as the plunger. Gameplay wise they are also a bit of a contrast - ts more flowing and very hard, while ij is not easy with some tight shots, but easier than the shadow with a little more stop and go. Also the themes ts is darker where ij is more light hearted - which is also reflected in the music

#5 11 years ago

shrek and family guy

#6 11 years ago
    Quoted from davewtf:

shrek and Family Guy

LOL.... That is awesome....

My 1-2 would be something quick, and something deep to have variety.....

My favorite past 1-2 punch was both Simpsons next to each other, but now I would give it to the WPT and IM have sitting next to it. That could be classified as the "economy" 1-2 punch, because WPT may be the deepest game I have owned (besides TSPP) that is inasnaely cheap for what it offers.

#7 11 years ago

There are many ways you could go with this, but for me it always should boil down to variety. How you get that variety is the question. I agree with your idea of pairing a fast/flow game with a stop-go/shooters game.

Do you want to stick to the same era?
    X-Men + WOZ
    Spiderman + RBION (some would rather say FG)
    ST:TNG + TZ
    CSI + 24
    High Speed + Pinbot
    BK2K + FH
    Black Knight + Blackout

Or how about a huge contrast...
    Cow Poke (or any EM really) + Attack From Mars (or any fast playing DMD)

If I could pick just one pairing, it would probably be ST:TNG + TZ. So much the same, yet so very different.

I love having many eras, designers, and play styles represented in my collection. Variety is the key!

#8 11 years ago
    Quoted from Jediturtle:

There are many ways you could go with this, but for me it always should boil down to variety. How you get that variety is the question. I agree with your idea of pairing a fast/flow game with a stop-go/shooters game.
    Do you want to stick to the same era?
    X-Men + WOZ
    spiderman + RBION (some would rather say FG)
    ST:TNG + TZ
    CSI + 24
    High Speed + Pinbot
    BK2K + FH
    Black Knight + Blackout
    Or how about a huge contrast...
    Cow Poke (or any EM really) + Attack from Mars (or any fast playing DMD)
    If I could pick just one pairing, it would probably be ST:TNG + TZ. So much the same, yet so very different.
    I love having many eras, designers, and play styles represented in my collection. Variety is the key!

I agree on TZ and STTNG. You basically have the ultimate, loaded up, money is no object Pat Lawlor stop and go game against the ultimate maxed out Steve Ritchie flow game. Probably the two most innovative and feature packed games from the 90's.

#9 11 years ago

Zingy Bingy and Playboy

#10 11 years ago

right now (flavor of the month) I'd say the two for me are TZ and AC/DC.

#11 11 years ago

I would say MM and LOTR make the perfect pair of opposites with so many similarities.

Both are great games that play COMPLETELY different and have different styles and feels. Both would also last forever in a paired collection.

MM is light and funny with quick shot sequence. LOTR is dark and a great movie themed pin that I would likely never beat. The shots also have a nice variety.

Someday I will find a nice LOTR for a decent price and it will go next to MM.

#12 11 years ago

I think T2 and Predator will look nice together both movies from the same era but pins 20 years apart.

#13 11 years ago

spider-man and TZ

#14 11 years ago

Space Shuttle & SM

#15 11 years ago

RFM and SWE1 .... just kidding.

#16 11 years ago

I'm going to base this on my current collection..

I want something affordable to pair well with TSPP - I think that NF fits this bill pretty well.

So for me:
    TSPP/NF

I like the STTNG and TZ pairing, two epic widebodies.. If only I had the coin.

#17 11 years ago
    Quoted from TZBen:

Spider-Man and TZ

I second this

#18 11 years ago

TZ and MM

#19 11 years ago

TSPP and LOTR for 2 Sterns

IJ and STTNG for 2 Williams

TZ and AFM for 2 Bally's

JP and GNR for 2 DE's

#20 11 years ago

IJ & a Whirlwind

or

MM & TZ

Tell me I'm wrong.

#21 11 years ago

Ding! Ding! Ding! We have a Winner!

#22 11 years ago

That s a lineup built for a guy with a game room, but no friends to play pinball with.

#23 11 years ago

Tron and Attack From Mars

#26 11 years ago

LOTR and ACDC for newer games.

#27 11 years ago
    Quoted from gambit3113:

That s a lineup built for a guy with a game room, but no friends to play pinball with.

Yes, these pins are deep, but so what? They look great together. Isn't that what this thread was about?

#28 11 years ago

I would consider the best 1-2 punch to be the two games that most compliment each other, in terms of offering different gameplay options. LOTR is super deep, so maybe pairing it with SM is a better 1-2 punch combo, as Spidey is a fast Ritchie shooter.

#29 11 years ago
    Quoted from gambit3113:

I would consider the best 1-2 punch to be the two games that most compliment each other, in terms of offering different gameplay options.

OK, I see, for gameplay, I'd pick the Shadow and HS2. The depth of TS and the flow of HS2 makes two great games that you could get for $3k and have a complete blast.

#30 11 years ago
    Quoted from gambit3113:

I would consider the best 1-2 punch to be the two games that most compliment each other, in terms of offering different gameplay options. LOTR is super deep, so maybe pairing it with SM is a better 1-2 punch combo, as Spidey is a fast Ritchie shooter.

I covered both bases in my gameroom. LOTR LE in the middle. SM to the left. TSPP to the right.

#31 11 years ago

Out of what I own, CFTBL and AFM.

Dan

#32 11 years ago

AFM and SS

#33 11 years ago
    Quoted from captainadam_21:

somthing hard.. like Scared Stiff

I see what you did there.

#34 11 years ago

I'd vote for the combo my brother has;

Tron LE and ST:TNG

I'd totally be happy with just those two....

Later,
    EV

#35 11 years ago

TZ and MM
    TS and DM
    Popeye and BBH

#36 11 years ago

If I had the cash MB and TZ all they way! MB is fast paced and perfect for people that come over who don't play pinball. TZ for the more experienced players that come by with its deep ruleset, stop and go play, plus its a widebody. Plus I think the themes and art compliment each other nicely.

BTW- Jar155 episode 9 of the podcast was great! keep it up!

#37 11 years ago

I am hoping IJ and X-Men LE , cause that's what i'll have

#38 11 years ago

TZ and STTNG - I can vouch for that pairing and its a really nice one.

Otherwise, I agree with the something deep and something light concept of LOTR and SS.

For Sterns - SM and TRON - the upper flipper shoots from different sides. Have SM on the left and Tron on the Right.

#39 11 years ago

I have a LOTR and Tron paired up and I think its awesome. You have the deep rules on one side and you have the quick/kick your ass futuristic theme of Tron on the other.

If money is no object I would have a MM with LOTR.

If we throw into the equation "games that are not available as of yet" I would go with BHZA and Magic Girl FTW (for the win)!!!!!!!!! WOZ and XMEN dont stand a chance against that!

#40 11 years ago

Oh this is hard, so many great combo's

BOP and LotR
    Shadow and Spidey
    Wh20 and RBION

But I think if i could just pick 2 it would be CFTBL and Roadshow

#41 11 years ago

Whirlwind and Earthshaker! I have the WW just need to get my hands on a ES

#42 11 years ago
    Quoted from PinWiz17:

Whirlwind and Earthshaker! I have the WW just need to get my hands on a ES

I agree.I have them both

#43 11 years ago

OK, I've thought about this for several minutes and 100 possibilities all sounded good to me, but in the end I'd choose: Attack from Mars and NBA Fastbreak.

Both are games I think are very fun, and both are games I think all my friends would enjoy, even though very few are pinball fans.

#44 11 years ago
    Quoted from jar155:

What's the best pairing of only 2 machines you can think of?

Twilight Zone and LOTR.

#45 11 years ago

I'm a little confused at the question. All of the answers seem to sound like "what are your two favourite machines?". I'm going to answer the question to say what are the two best similar machines, and that would have to be the two Pinball 2000: Star Wars Ep I and Revenge from Mars.

#46 11 years ago
    Quoted from DanteBK:

OK, I've thought about this for several minutes and 100 possibilities all sounded good to me, but in the end I'd choose: Attack from Mars and NBA Fastbreak.
    Both are games I think are very fun, and both are games I think all my friends would enjoy, even though very few are pinball fans.

I forgot about NBA fastbreak get two of them and link them together and play against one another. I hope to have that set up one of these days

#47 11 years ago

Iron man and Attack from Mars!

#49 11 years ago

My first machine would be WH2O. To me it's the perfect combination of fun and challenge. Due to the humor and a couple fun shots, you can have a casual game and enjoy it. Or you can lock in and try to complete the Vacation Jackpot for an extreme challenge. Along side it, I would put either MM or AFM. Both games are pure fun with just enough to do to make them challenging as well. If pushed to pick, I would put MM. The tipping point is the drawbridge.

#50 11 years ago
    Quoted from hanford29:

My first machine would be WH2O.

I'm in with WH2O as well. A very unique game. I always liked it next to FT. Of course they sorta match, but I also like that thoutdoor complimentary outdoors themes... but both play very differently.

For the first few years my two-pin lineup was IJ and TAF. Not sure why, but they were a great combination for me.

There are 87 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/best-1-2-punch-in-pinball and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.