• 16 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by MadPole
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

point-break-rock-and-roll.gif
#1 2 years ago

Other than pinball machines, what do you collect? What do you have more than 1 of? Anything crazy, or anything mundane? How did you get started? How active in the collection hobby are you? How does your other collection community compare to this one?

#2 2 years ago

I collect musical instruments, mainly keyboard based instruments. My wife and I are both classically trained pianists and organists. I've done keyboard instrument repair for well over a decade which has definitely led to the collection growing. We have an interesting collection of classical instruments (some historic) and then a synthesizer/rock room. I think every room in the house has at least one musical instrument.

I also collect laserdiscs. I grew up with the format and watching the complete Looney Tunes, Tom and Jerry, and Tex Avery cartoons on laserdisc. I started my own collection several years ago and I've got at least 1,500 titles.

Then there's the LP collection. I think I've got around 5-600 LPs. I don't actively collect those anymore though like I used to.

#3 2 years ago

I was really into collecting video games up until around 2015 or so. Pretty much everything from the NES up to Xbox 360. I had well over 10k games at one point but got burned out eventually and really wasn't playing anything anymore. I've sold around a third or so over the last 5+ years.

Only thing I sort of collect now is Blu-ray movies, but that has slowed down lately too.

#4 2 years ago

Skydiving related stuff. A silk parachute from the 1940s and a main parachute model from the 1990s that was grounded by the FAA after too many jumpers died under them are two of the notable items. 7 audible altimeter, five wrist altimeters, 4 camera helmets, 5 non camera helmets (3 open face, 2 full face), 12 jumpsuits, five complete jumpable rigs and five bins of spare parts.
I think. There may be more.

#5 2 years ago
Quoted from skywyatt:

Skydiving related stuff.

You need to get a Gottlieb Sky Jump for your collection!

#6 2 years ago
Quoted from skywyatt:

Skydiving related stuff. A silk parachute from the 1940s and a main parachute model from the 1990s that was grounded by the FAA after too many jumpers died under them are two of the notable items. 7 audible altimeter, five wrist altimeters, 4 camera helmets, 5 non camera helmets (3 open face, 2 full face), 12 jumpsuits, five complete jumpable rigs and five bins of spare parts.
I think. There may be more.

Just missing a few presidents masks, and a driver.... let's rock n roll!

point-break-rock-and-roll.gifpoint-break-rock-and-roll.gif
#7 2 years ago
Quoted from ScottThePhotog:

You need to get a Gottlieb Sky Jump for your collection!

That's the one I am constantly looking for. Even a non working machine, just for the theme.

#8 2 years ago

Bourbon and poor choices

#9 2 years ago

Mostly dust.

#12 2 years ago

More than one?! Yeah by a mile;
early arcade video games, juke boxes, Brit sports cars, hit-n-miss engines,
glass telegraph insulators, antique radios and ham radios.

#13 2 years ago

Guitars and guitar pedals.

Vinyl records.

#14 2 years ago

Threads on Pinside about the latest rock band themed pin. My collection is extensive....

#15 2 years ago

Vintage BMW motorcycles, Zenith Transoceanic radios, slot machines, jukeboxes, any EM amusements.

#16 2 years ago

Vintage video game consoles, video arcades, coins

#17 2 years ago

I don’t collect pinball, I play it

#18 2 years ago

We picked up a jukebox about a year and a half ago. Been collecting 45's ever since. In a short amount of time, our collection has grown to 1,200+.

My album collection was lost about the time that Cds were released. Instead of trying to rebuild my collection on vinyl, I started collecting CDs. Over time, I completely forgot about vinyl.

Some friends of ours added a jukebox to their arcade and made me want one with a vengeance. I found a Rock-Ola 480. 1980's model with solid state controls and amp. It took a bit of love and care to get working. It was the missing piece to our basement arcade.

I can spend hours flipping thru vinyl looking for gems. As the pandemic ends and we start traveling again, records shops and thrift stores will be added to looking for pins in the wild.

Some music is only meant to be heard on vinyl. We have gained more joy from buying a jukebox than I ever expected.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/besides-pins-what-do-you-collect-?hl=eightball88 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.