Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 34 posts
  • 11 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 months ago by Jigs
  • Topic is favorited by 16 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_7203 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_7206 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_7205 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_7204 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_7202 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_7201 (resized).jpeg
    20161222_184649 (resized).jpg
    canon211216 015 (resized).JPG
    canon211216 009 (resized).JPG
    canon211216 007 (resized).JPG
    canon211216 013 (resized).JPG
    canon211216 011 (resized).JPG
    canon211216 012 (resized).JPG
    canon211216 017 (resized).JPG
    canon211216 018 (resized).JPG
    canon211216 019 (resized).JPG
    #1 7 years ago

My tumbler packed it in last week through shot bearings. Maybe living near the ocean has an impact but that bearing closest to the counter weight which creates the vibration certainly takes a pounding. Although the unit was well within warranty (purchased direct from the US) shipping cost made that option unviable.
    Anyhow managed to disassemble the unit & replace the bearings for around $10 & machine works fine. The bearings can be procured much cheaper on ebay but I preferred to deal with a supplier of accepted product quality.
    I thought I would tab the bearing replacement in case anyone has a similar problem.

1. Remove the lid:

canon211216 023 (resized).JPGcanon211216 023 (resized).JPG

2. This exposes the locknut which holds the media barrel to the motor body. Remove the nut & barrel:

canon211216 022 (resized).JPGcanon211216 022 (resized).JPG

3. This now leaves the main motor housing & vibration platform:

canon211216 015 (resized).JPGcanon211216 015 (resized).JPG

canon211216 016 (resized).JPGcanon211216 016 (resized).JPG

4. Turn the body over & remove the three rubber grommets (by hand) and the two cable securing screws & release the bottom cover:

canon211216 019 (resized).JPGcanon211216 019 (resized).JPG

canon211216 018 (resized).JPGcanon211216 018 (resized).JPG

5. Remove the 4 locknuts which secure the motor to the motor housing;

6. Detach the motor cabling from the retaining clip:

canon211216 017 (resized).JPGcanon211216 017 (resized).JPG

7. Remove the four long screws which connect the motor to the motor housing:

canon211216 012 (resized).JPGcanon211216 012 (resized).JPG;

8. This enables separation of the outer bearing housing. Using two screwdrivers resting on a side cushion remove the outer bearing:

canon211216 011 (resized).JPGcanon211216 011 (resized).JPG

9. Remove the fan from the motor shaft-I found it could be removed by hand pressure:

canon211216 013 (resized).JPGcanon211216 013 (resized).JPG

10. Remove the counterweight from the motor shaft which is secured to the shaft by a grub screw. I found this to be the toughest task. It required heat around the counterweight to free the grub screw;

11. Remove the front bearing. I used a small gear puller but there would be other means if a puller is not accessible. This enables the motor shaft to be released:

canon211216 007 (resized).JPGcanon211216 007 (resized).JPG

12. I purchased replacement bearings from a reputable local bearing supplier cost $10.30 the pair. The specs are 19mm OD, 6mm ID, 6mm wide. After cleaning components slip the bearings on to the motor shaft:

canon211216 009 (resized).JPGcanon211216 009 (resized).JPG

13. The assembly is a reversal of the disassembly process. Do not forget to reattach the ground wire to the relevant motor securing screw.

#2 7 years ago

This is a great reference, I've got two large tumblers and I'm sure it's just a matter of time until the bearings wear out.

Thanks for posting!

-Jay

#3 7 years ago

Thanks for posting! This will be very handy in the future.

#4 7 years ago

This should also work on the Cabella's model 400. My superficial searches indicated they are the same unit with different branding.

#5 7 years ago

My Berry tumbler just crapped out. Motor hums when turned on but will not turn. Found multiple sellers for the bearings with the specs you mentioned on amazon. I will order replacement bearings once I confirm the size. My berry tumbler is about 7-8 years old. I have another one about 9-10 years old still going strong.

#6 7 years ago
    Quoted from YeOldPinPlayer:

This should also work on the Cabella's model 400. My superficial searches indicated they are the same unit with different branding.

Yes they are the same except for color. Cabela's is green and Berry's is blue.

#7 7 years ago

Took the motor out of my tumbler. It has a part number. I can find motors with the same number but with only two screws not four. I guess I will just change the bearings.

20161222_184649 (resized).jpg20161222_184649 (resized).jpg

#8 7 years ago
    Quoted from marspinball:

Took the motor out of my tumbler. It has a part number. I can find motors with the same number but with only two screws not four. I guess I will just change the bearings.

Are the bearings 'shot' on your machine?

#9 7 years ago
    Quoted from wayner:

Are the bearings 'shot' on your machine?

I think so. Motor hums and does not spin when powered up. After taking out the motor I plugged it in and manually spun it. It would start to spin but not smoothly.

#10 7 years ago
    Quoted from marspinball:

I think so. Motor hums and does not spin when powered up. After taking out the motor I plugged it in and manually spun it. It would start to spin but not smoothly.

Yes mine had a similar symptom. One bearing had almost seized. WD40 freed it to the point where it confirmed on test motor ok.

#11 7 years ago
    Quoted from marspinball:

Yeh, that sounds like bad bearings.

Another bearing cross reference number is 626-ZZ.

#12 7 years ago

One additional thing I noticed is that when the bearing had seized I suspect the drive of the motor tried to spin it within the bearing housing. As a result there is the slightest amount of play between the bearing OD & the housing ID. I may drill & tap a couple of grub screws into the housing to remove the play.
    When I had these problems I had ordered a replacement machine (220v) last week from Bay Area Amusements Nv who processed the order superfast & I will have the new one via my US shipping address next week. My old machine will be used as a back up!!

#13 7 years ago

Wayner, how did you heat the counterweight? I've bent two hex keys (2.5mm) and it won't budge.

#14 7 years ago
    Quoted from marspinball:

Wayner, how did you heat the counterweight? I've bent two hex keys (2.5mm) and it won't budge.

I think that's the effect of the Loctite! Likewise I could not budge despite significant pressure.

I just used a propane gas bottle and a heat nozzle but was very careful to localise the heat around the grub screw area away from & without catching the commutator. Once there was some heat the grub screw loosened quite quickly.

#15 7 years ago

Ok, got the grub screw all the way out by heating the counterweight. The weight will not slide off the shaft. Took the motor apart as much as possible and twisted the weight and the round motor part will move on the shaft but not the counterweight!

#16 7 years ago

Ok it may need some brute downward force by gripping the counterweight & 'sensitively' hitting the shaft just to break the 'seal'. I found though that the twist did it.

1 year later
    #17 5 years ago

Thank you for the info in this post. I have a Cabela's branded Berry 400 and a FA that were both bought nearly at the same time. I use them together so it makes sense they both quit at the same time. I was able to rob the motor out of the Berry which is the same. The only difference was the fan, wiring, and counterweight. It lasted another 2 days... So found this post and ordered a pack of bearings.

I'm in the middle of a lot of tumbling, so I ended up ordering the 18lb HF which was long overdue anyway. I did take both motors apart and found that the one bearing case was egged out on one. So pieced the two together again swapping out the cases. Bearings were actually ok. So may be worth holding on to the old parts.

1 month later
    #18 5 years ago

My buddy Steve bought the Cabella's 400 tumbler two years ago and uses it alot. Recently, it started getting very noisy. So I printed off this thread and the pictures and took it over to his house. He ordered the bearings online and yesterday he decided to follow the instructions and rebuild his tumbler.

Sure enough, when he got the motor apart, the front bearing was very sloppy. We tried several sizes of conventional American Allen wrenches, but they were either a tad too small or too big for that Allen setscrew on the weight. Wouldn't you know it, it turned out to be a metric size. Fortunately, he had a box of misc metric Allen wrenches (don't know what size it was though) and we found one that fit perfectly. The setscrew came right out (no heat needed) and the weight slid right off the shaft.

Anyway, once we got both bearings changed and everything reassembled, we gave her a try. Wow! Nice and quiet again.

Thanks for the instructions!

By the way, if you have a broken lid or the lid is missing from your tumbler, Bay Area Amusement sells the lid:

http://bayareaamusements.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=TL-TLID

2 months later
    #19 5 years ago

After finding this thread and having a couple non working tumblers, I thought I'd order some bearings and see it that was the problem. One is a Berry 400 and the other Bulldog which looks exactly like the Berry model. I ordered the SKF 626-2Z bearings and upon disassembly of the Bulldog they are too small. With a ruler they look to be 22mm OD. They are marked "China Indy BB-1027" but an internet search yielded nothing. I don't have a set of mic's to get the exact size. Anyone ran into this and know what size they are?

1 week later
    #20 5 years ago
    Quoted from tomdrum:

After finding this thread and having a couple non working tumblers, I thought I'd order some bearings and see it that was the problem. One is a Berry 400 and the other Bulldog which looks exactly like the Berry model. I ordered the SKF 626-2Z bearings and upon disassembly of the Bulldog they are too small. With a ruler they look to be 22mm OD. They are marked "China Indy BB-1027" but an internet search yielded nothing. I don't have a set of mic's to get the exact size. Anyone ran into this and know what size they are?

Thats interesting tomdrum. Do you have a local bearing supplier you can consult. Thats what I did and found the 'experts' identified the specific part very quickly.

#21 5 years ago

Vibratory... hee hee hee

In my head I envision people in white lab coats walking around in a sterile environment creating advances in marital aides.

11 months later
    2 years later
    #23 1 year ago

Just saw this thread as for the 2nd time my motor has failed.

Here is a link to the motor $5 minimum order 50 of them LOL.

https://tommyji.en.made-in-china.com/product/XvyxrkKTAIYs/China-Ce-Certificated-AC-Shaded-Pole-Refrigerator-Fan-Motor-YJF61-.html

#24 1 year ago

My berry tumbler that I have had for at least 12 years just died. Front bearing egged out the front housing really bad. Motor smelled up my garage real bad when I got home from work today. Was locked up and buzzing for who knows how long.
    Looks like the motor assembly isn't available anywhere. Hate to have to buy a whole new tumbler for $85. Luckily I have 2 so I can still get work done, just not as fast.

#25 1 year ago
    Quoted from fierodoug:

My berry tumbler that I have had for at least 12 years just died. Front bearing egged out the front housing really bad. Motor smelled up my garage real bad when I got home from work today. Was locked up and buzzing for who knows how long.
    Looks like the motor assembly isn't available anywhere. Hate to have to buy a whole new tumbler for $85. Luckily I have 2 so I can still get work done, just not as fast.

That is exactly what happened to my motor. The bearing wore through the housing.

#26 1 year ago

The weird thing is the bearing seem fine, just the housing is so worn it makes the motor hit the sides and lock up. I noticed my newer berry 400 already has play in the front housing. Berry should really just sell replacement motors.
    I contacted Berrys, They want $35 to repair the unit(including return shipping) The problem is stupid USPS and UPS want $40 to ship this to them! So makes no sense since a new one is $75.

#27 1 year ago
    Quoted from fierodoug:

The weird thing is the bearing seem fine, just the housing is so worn it makes the motor hit the sides and lock up. I noticed my newer berry 400 already has play in the front housing. Berry should really just sell replacement motors.
    I contacted Berrys, They want $35 to repair the unit(including return shipping) The problem is stupid USPS and UPS want $40 to ship this to them! So makes no sense since a new one is $75.

I just ordered this. I supposes its the best price to fix the tumbler. https://www.tesstools.net/product_p/mrh-28076.htm

#28 1 year ago

Cool, you found a place that stocked them. Let us know if it's a exact match and works ok. I'll order a couple since I have 2 of these tumblers

#29 1 year ago
    Quoted from fierodoug:

Cool, you found a place that stocked them. Let us know if it's a exact match and works ok. I'll order a couple since I have 2 of these tumblers

I will let you know when it arrives.

#30 1 year ago

The replacement motor arrived.

I needed to replace the mounting screws that came with it as they are shorter than what came with the Berry set up so you will have to reuse your screws.

I also had to drill out the counter weight hole just a bit as the new shaft seems very slighty larger then the original.

I then used a dremel to create a flat spot on the shaft a little closer to the motor for the counter weight set screw.

Wired it up installed it with the old fan blade and it works.

It does seem to be much slower spinning then the Berry motor maybe it has different specs or my counter weight is not in the ideal position.

Th.e motor is very quiet and smooth.

IMG_7201 (resized).jpegIMG_7201 (resized).jpegIMG_7202 (resized).jpegIMG_7202 (resized).jpegIMG_7203 (resized).jpegIMG_7203 (resized).jpegIMG_7204 (resized).jpegIMG_7204 (resized).jpegIMG_7205 (resized).jpegIMG_7205 (resized).jpegIMG_7206 (resized).jpegIMG_7206 (resized).jpeg
    #31 1 year ago

"It does seem to be much slower spinning then the Berry motor"

Hmm, that's not good, much less aggressive tumbling then I assume?

#32 1 year ago
    Quoted from fierodoug:

"It does seem to be much slower spinning then the Berry motor"
    Hmm, that's not good, much less aggressive tumbling then I assume?

So far it tumbles ok will have to try some rusted brackets to know for sure.

#33 1 year ago

I ordered a motor today, really want my second tumbler back.

11 months later
    #34 9 months ago
    Quoted from KenLayton:

We tried several sizes of conventional American Allen wrenches, but they were either a tad too small or too big for that Allen setscrew on the weight. Wouldn't you know it, it turned out to be a metric size. Fortunately, he had a box of misc metric Allen wrenches (don't know what size it was though) and we found one that fit perfectly. The setscrew came right out (no heat needed) and the weight slid right off the shaft.

I just did this. It's a 2.5 metric allen wrench.

RIP Ken. thanks for all the help

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/berry-400-vibratory-tumbler-bearing-replacement?hl=tomdrum and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.