Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 105 posts
  • 56 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by RazerX
  • Topic is favorited by 7 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_1423.JPG
    IMG_1422.JPG
    IMG_1426.JPG
    IMG_1425.JPG
    IMG_1421.JPG
    IMG_1420.JPG
    IMG_1419.JPG
    gump.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider dkpinball.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#39 10 years ago
    Quoted from Frax:

When Mike @ DKPinball came out with his little PCB mounted "splitter" thing at the same price I was selling a 1->3 harness for, I stopped making them...didn't whine about it. I still think it was a brilliant solution, and will be buying one from him when I need that type of product again.

... and I'm absolutely mentally prepared for the day when someone copies that idea and starts selling it cheaper.

A friend of mine in the business told me, "You only get to 'win' when you make it first, then after some time, you have to make it cheaper." It's hard to believe but this stuff actually drives innovation. Make the same thing cheaper, or make the same thing better.

#46 10 years ago

Pinball_customs: +1

#50 10 years ago
    Quoted from Fatsquatch:

Both of those apply to me, and I just can't imagine ever contacting a parts supplier and saying "Look, I know you sell your widget for $50 plus shipping on your website, but this other dude started selling that same widget for $20 less. If you can match or beat that price, I'll buy from you."

While it seems like your current supplier would bristle at that, it's more likely that he/she would appreciate it. There is a reason retailers do things like 110% price guaranty. They want to encourage people to bring lower prices to their attention. There are a lot of reasons why a price might be cheaper somewhere else.

It may be that the manufacturer dropped the price and your supplier doesn't know it yet. (Especially if they carry a lot of product) They'll be losing sales to competitors simply because they didn't know to update the price on their web site yet.

It could be that a Chinese competitor has produced a product and maybe it's lower quality. They'll now know that they should bring attention to the fact that their product is superior, made in USA, or whatever justifies the higher price.

In a lot of cases they'll call the manufacturer and say, "Hey, what gives? How's this other guy selling it cheaper" and it can result in the reseller getting an additional discount across the board.

The reseller would much rather know about a cheaper price someplace else rather than just sit and wonder why sales have dropped.

Saying this, I don't mean that some guy down the street is selling it 1% cheaper. I mean, if someone else has a similar or the same product for 30% less, and it's not a blowout or a sale or something, there are a lot of benefits for everyone involved if you call them and say, "Hey, look at this, what's going on here?"

#53 10 years ago
    Quoted from Fatsquatch:

I understand that, but it's trickier in this particular case, as Wrong Crowd and BentPlastic are selling their own products, not someone else's. Or at least, that's what I thought was happening.

Yea, it's not likely that the products are absolutely identical. But if B.P. has found a material that does the same job and costs 50% less to make... that's just progress.

All that aside - there are a lot of good ideas that have yet to make it to production. A lot of products to develop. I don't think the pinball community was crying out for a cheaper glare guard. It would definitely have been cooler if his efforts were focused on something new.

#55 10 years ago
    Quoted from luch:

I say it is voting with your wallet .

True, but if you happen to like a supplier/maker you give him an opportunity to win your vote. There's nothing wrong with that.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider dkpinball.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bentplasticcom?tu=dkpinball and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.