(Topic ID: 178994)

Bent plastics

By Leakyfaucet

7 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_4214 (resized).JPG
    IMG_4215 (resized).JPG
    1484872903730-2084067018 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Leakyfaucet.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 7 years ago

Can I fix them? They are warped from storage and lights. I don't need them perfect but straighter than they are...

1484872903730-2084067018 (resized).jpg1484872903730-2084067018 (resized).jpg

#2 7 years ago

Also, I apologize in advance if this topic has been covered. I feel like it has but couldn't find it even searching through topics.

#5 7 years ago

Blow dryer and some heavy coffee table books?

#7 7 years ago
    Quoted from Taxman:

Do some reading.

Where?

#11 7 years ago
    Quoted from TimMe:

What year is the game? In the 1940s and 1950s, the plastic formulations would warp a lot. That era of plastic also tends to be very brittle. DO NOT try to flex that type of plastic to straighten it without heating it, as that will almost certainly fracture it.
    More modern plastics (mid-1960s and later) seem to be an improved formula that is both less susceptible to warping, and more forgiving if you flex it while it is at room temperature.
    For either type of plastic, if you have two thick pieces of glass (3/16" or thicker), you can place the plastic onto one glass with the printed side down, heat the plastic for a couple of minutes with a heat gun, and then place the second piece of glass on it. Then you need to immediately put some heavy weights on the top glass to keep the plastic flat. Give the plastic 5 minutes or more to cool down, then remove the weight and top glass and the plastic should be flatter. If it's still too warped, you can repeat this process.
    WARNING: It takes some practice to flatten a plastic with an artificial heat source (either heat gun or oven) and have it come out looking better than it went in. As others have already noted, artificial heating is not a safe way to flatten plastics. Some plastics will develop pimples over the top surface when heated, and these pimples will remain and will be visible. Also, if you over-heat a plastic, you can blister it and that will ruin it. It can be difficult to judge when you've got a plastic hot enough to flatten it, but not so hot that one of these unpleasant side-effects occur.
    I've heard that putting a plastic in a glass sandwich, and leaving it in the sun for a while is safest way to flatten it. I have not tried this technique, so I don't know how long "a while" is.
    - TimMe

Thanks for the thorough response! I have some experience with a heat gun making armor for cosplay with foam. I think I will try carefully on the furthest plastic and work my way closer.

#15 7 years ago
    Quoted from TimMe:

What year is the game? In the 1940s and 1950s, the plastic formulations would warp a lot.

1971 bally el Toro aka shitty shit mcshitster. Jk a bit tipsy now....

#21 7 years ago
    Quoted from Delta9:

This thread is cracking me up two peices of bent plastic is like some serious rocket science

It could be, probably was at some point. When polymers didn't abound and Texas didn't make calculators.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Leakyfaucet.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bent-plastics?tu=Leakyfaucet and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.