Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 21 posts
  • 10 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by Pin-one
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

5V_3A_Supply.jpg
    Cap.png
    5_volt_3.png
    5_volt_2a.png
    IMG_2510a.jpg

#1 8 years ago

At present I’m using a 12 volt power supply connected to a solenoid driver / regulator board. (see first picture) I’m only using the driver board for the 5 volts. This works very well but it takes up extra space on my bench and it’s a waste of a good driver board.

I looked over the schematic and thought I could just replicate the 5 volt regulator part. However, the schematic shows two capacitors that just say “.1”. Does anyone know if that is 0.1 mfd?

Thanks

Bob

IMG_2510a.jpgIMG_2510a.jpg

5_volt_2a.png5_volt_2a.png

#2 8 years ago

You'd be better served to pick up an arcade switching power supply, which has +5V, +12V and -12V.

#3 8 years ago

Bally used .1uf @ 20V on the early production. They never changed the parts manual but later I found on some brand new machines they were .1uf @ 50V. The standard became 50V somewhere along the line of capacitor production. (You will notice that C24 was a originally specified as a 20V capacitor).

#4 8 years ago

fantasygoat, that would be great but I don't have an arcade power supply. But I think I do have the parts to build this (see photo).

Pinthetic, Then I'm OK using .1 , 100 V and 2.2uF, 250V Polyester?

I am NOT an electronics designer but this is what I have come up with - Will it work?

Thanks

Bob

5_volt_3.png5_volt_3.png

#6 8 years ago

Thanks Goat, I used computer power supplies in the past without much luck. I end up chasing my tail trying to find a problem on a MPU board only to find my power supply isn't cutting it. I have a very good 12 volt supply but I just need a smaller 5 volt supply.

I'm pretty sure I have all the parts to build this simple 5 volt regulator - I just need to know if I have the schematic correct.

Thanks

Bob

#7 8 years ago

Bob, don't forget you will need that big honker of a heat sink, or some kind of heat sink for your 5V supply regulator.

I use PC power supplies without any problems. I also use the video game power supply as suggested by fantasygoat. I prefer the video game power supply as it doesn't use a fan and is quieter in operation. It has 16 amps at 5VDC and 4 amps at +12VDC which is more than enough power for just any of the old and newer boards.

If for some reason you want to bench power an old video game board the old regulator circuit ala Bally will not do the job.

#8 8 years ago

I see mention at times of arcade power supplies that have a -12vdc. Is that a typo or do they actually exist? Because if they do exist, they seem pretty hard to track down. I'd love to have BOTH -5vdc and -12vdc.

#9 8 years ago
    Quoted from acebathound:

I see mention at times of arcade power supplies that have a -12vdc.

I've seen them before, I'll look around and see what I can come up with. I think it was from Suzo-Happ (or however you spell it).

This isn't the one I was thinking of, but it does have -5 and -12, but only 1/2 amp.

http://na.suzohapp.com/all_catalogs/power_supplies/80-0002-10

#10 8 years ago

Bob, A further comment on your schematic. The capacitor CPA should be an electrolytic or tantalum 2.2uF 25V.

Ace, I haven't seen a video game switching power supply providing the -12VDC.

#11 8 years ago

I appreciate everyone's input on PC and arcade power supplies. I'm sure many of you have had great luck using them but I just don't trust them anymore.

minnesota, I have a big honker heat sink from an old Stern regulator I plan on using.

I noticed when I ordered parts I got the wrong 2.2 uF capacitor. I should have ordered the tantalum but I ordered film instead. If you don't think this will work, I'll order the correct one on my next parts order.

Thanks

Bob

#12 8 years ago

I need to place an order with pinballlife and noticed they have this capacitor.

Will this work?

Thanks

Bob

Cap.pngCap.png

#13 8 years ago

Why not just spend the $15 and get something capable of doing exactly what you want.

http://www.amazon.com/DROK-Converter-Transformer-Step-down-Regulator/dp/B00CEP3A0Q/ref=sr_1_5

#14 8 years ago

Bob, the capacitor from Pinball Life is incorrect for your application -- it is non-polarized.

I should have noted that the electrolytic 2.2 or tantalum 2.2 capacitors are polarized. Your schematic does not
    indicate polarity of polarized capacitors. If you note on the original schematic for C24 you will see the "+" notation
    for the correct orientation of the capacitor which also indicates a polarized capacitor.

#15 8 years ago

or get a real bench psu that has real protections for over voltage, over current and shorting and save yourself lots of hassles and blown boards.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00JK75OB4/ $289 on amazon.

i have some nice fluke 60V programmable bench psu scored off ebay that are awesome but they go for a bit more, for the bottom level price the siglent bench PSU are fine

#16 8 years ago

I didn't know capacitors were so complicated. I was having enough problems with uF, pF, mfd, etc. Now I find there are polarized and non-polarized. I guess I'll just wait till my next GPE order and get the correct C24 capacitor there. I'm not in a big hurry anyway - it's just a hobby for me.

Wow, Cactus, that's a really nice power supply. But I can't see 300.00 for a tool I'd only use maybe once a year.

Thanks

Bob

#17 8 years ago

Bob, there's an easy way to build a 5V 3 Amp supply yourself without using an obsolete design with lots of parts that also uses a 5V regulator that is worth more the following total parts design. There are just a few parts, totaling just less than $3.00 and this includes the heat sink. You can then save your old 5V regulator for use on the Bally/Stern power driver boards.

5V 3A Supply.jpg5V 3A Supply.jpg

Mouser Parts List
    http://www.mouser.com/

Aavid Therma... Heat Sink
    531002B00000G
    1 $1.06

Xicon
    140-50N5-101.. Cap.
    1 $0.11

Fairchild Se...
    KA378R05TU 5v 3 Amp regulator
    1 $1.38

Cornell Dubi...
    SEK470M016ST Cap
    1 $0.25
    Nichicon
    UVZ1E101MED
    1 $0.18 Cap

total: $2.98

#18 8 years ago

If the power supply has +12v, +5v,-5v is that good enough for bench testing boards

#19 8 years ago
    Quoted from Raff:

If the power supply has +12v, +5v,-5v is that good enough for bench testing boards

Raff, Yes. The voltages needed are +5VDC and +12VDC - used for the early Bally/Stern/Williams MPU/CPUs. More modern boards require only the +5VDC.

Either an old computer power supply or video game power supply will work fine for the old and new SS boards.

#20 8 years ago

Thanks Minnesota, that looks great. Did you design that? I got everything in my cart at Mouser. I'm just looking for a box to mount it in. That have hundreds of boxes.

Thanks again - I'll let you know how it turns out.

Bob

#21 8 years ago

http://www.mysticengineering.com/atx.adapter/index.html
    This is a perfect option. Check it out.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bench-testing-power-supply?hl=ajnin and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.