Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 29 posts
  • 20 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by calvin12
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image_21076.jpg
    #1 9 years ago

I've had a bench buffer for about a month now, using it to polish parts with a 10" sisal wheel on one side and a 10" sewn wheel on the other... I use an apron, full face respirator and leather gloves...

In reading around, some people think gloves are a no no and youll lose a finger.... Any people who have been using a buffer to finish parts have an input?

I havent had a problem with a glove catching anything(theyre the fitted smooth leather type). I am seeing holes in them due to holding the parts so close(pinball parts are small)

#2 9 years ago

No gloves.

#3 9 years ago

No gloves around any moving machinery. Better to lose a chunk of finger than entire finger.

#4 9 years ago

No gloves

#5 9 years ago

What they said.

NEVER wear gloves around machines.

At my old job, we had a kid nearly lose a finger to a milling machine because he didn't adhere to our safety protocols (or follow posted signs ON THE MACHINE!). He was lucky and only sprained it. Could have been FAR FAR worse (eg. Michael Ironside in The Machinist... )

#6 9 years ago
    Quoted from iwantansi:

I havent had a problem with a glove catching anything(theyre the fitted smooth leather type). I am seeing holes in them due to holding the parts so close(pinball parts are small)

Right. And without the gloves you will probably get some nicks and cuts, which you can heal pretty easily. Losing a finger is a little more of an ordeal.

Read at your own risk. Gruesome stuff.
    http://madmodder.net/index.php?topic=9069.0

#7 9 years ago

No Mas! No Gloves!

#8 9 years ago

No gloves.

#9 9 years ago

I use gloves. They are the tight fitting that have a orange rubber over fingers and palm. I have never had any problems. The rpm on the wheels are not that powerful and you must always respect the wheel and the direction it is spinning. Also avoid getting you fingers too close which is always the safest bet with or without gloves.

#10 9 years ago

Seriously? No gloves is the consensus? I'm surprised. The wheel is totally free with no guard on mine- I thought that was pretty standard. What would your glove get caught on? The shaft somehow? Guess I should reconsider this

#11 9 years ago

Another reason is if one is buffing small parts.
    If one is holding in gloved hands, it can be harder to sense grip, and a
    small piece of metal flying off hurts like hell to get hit!
    Usually a Plexiglass screen in front for protection, but sometimes polishing without one,
    I trust my finger pressure, if I havent clamped down a piece for buffing.

#12 9 years ago

I am glad I read this because I did not think of a possible catching issue. I just bought a bench grinder for metal polishing which I have not used yet but I had used one attached to my drill and had a rash all over my hand from what I figured was contact dermatitis from the polishing compound. The rash caused all the skin on my hand to peel off and took weeks to get better. Of course, that is MUCH better than loosing a finger. Glad I read this!

#13 9 years ago

I think most of the time gloves on this type of stationary device are overkill.

Goggles and or face shield a must. Gloves are not really worth the loss in finger dexterity to me.

If you have flipdown plastic gaurds it should save your hands from hot metal pieces.

#14 9 years ago
    Quoted from iwantansi:

I use an apron, full face respirator and leather gloves

Really ?? I use nothing and have never had a problem.

#15 9 years ago

I'll go further.

NO GLOVES. NO RINGS.

#16 9 years ago

Wow, I wear leather gloves mostly to prevent the annoying shocks I get when buffing metal. After reading this, I won't wear gloves anymore, but how do you prevent the shocks? (static electricity build up)

#17 9 years ago

Is bolting it down a must? I've seen videos where folks are buffing in the driveway (for better air circulation I guess) and I don't think they've bolted it to the ground out there (it's bolted to the stand, but that's not enough)?

#18 9 years ago
    Quoted from westofrome:

Is bolting it down a must? I've seen videos where folks are buffing in the driveway (for better air circulation I guess) and I don't think they've bolted it to the ground out there (it's bolted to the stand, but that's not enough)?

i dont have room to permanently bolt a stand down. I keep a foot on the base if it wants to walk, caould also just put something heavy on the feet, sand bag, cat littler, concrete bag, etc.

#19 9 years ago

I actually stopped using my bench buffer a few years ago. No matter what I did, it always felt unsafe.

#20 9 years ago
    Quoted from pinball_erie:

Really ?? I use nothing and have never had a problem.

The big part that bugs me about buffing is the crap in my eyes and my nose. After buffing for any period of time i'd have black boogers for days and my eyes would usually itch for a day.

#21 9 years ago

Wear a respirator and a full face shield.

If a ball guide gets wrapped around the wheel, you don't want it flying up and slicing your face and eyes.

#22 9 years ago
    Quoted from epotech:

I'll go further.
    NO GLOVES. NO RINGS.

... And tuck in your shirt

#23 9 years ago
    Quoted from bayoubilly70:

... And tuck in your shirt

Tucking in your shirt is VERY valuable advice.

#24 9 years ago
    Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

I actually stopped using my bench buffer a few years ago. No matter what I did, it always felt unsafe.

Using a real buffer (rather than a grinder/buffer) is safer because it runs at 1/2 the RPMs.

Getting the buffer off the bench and onto a stand makes it safer still, as you don't have the workbench surface to deflect off of.

A 5 gallon bucket filled with cement mix allows you a semi-portable stand base ( 100lbs), that you can dolly out to the driveway. Just set the base pipe into the wet mix

image_21076.jpgimage_21076.jpg
    #25 9 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

Using a real buffer (rather than a grinder/buffer) is safer because it runs at 1/2 the RPMs.
    Getting the buffer off the bench and onto a stand makes it safer still, as you don't have the workbench surface to deflect off of.
    A 5 gallon bucket filled with cement mix allows you a semi-portable stand base ( 100lbs), that you can dolly out to the driveway. Just set the base pipe into the wet mix

image_21076.jpg 35 KB

Oddly enough, that's the actual buffer I have (minus stand).

It wasn't so much the buffer not being locked down. It kept grabbing parts from my hand and I was afraid I was eventually going to take one to the head/chest.

I once had a piece of plexiglass explode on a table saw and cut my chest up, so I get nervous when the tools start grabbing things.

#26 9 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

image_21076.jpg 35 KB

I have this exact stand - it sucks - the bolts that compress on to the pipe will grab good, then the pipe gives, so you have to tighten them again, the pipe just keeps indenting more and more...

#27 9 years ago

I put that stand into concrete, lol.

Although if you want to use it as it, drill the pipe at one of those holes, then tap it and run a bolt through the stand and through the pipe.

#28 9 years ago
    Quoted from epotech:

NO GLOVES. NO RINGS.

Good point. Now, while it's not LIKELY anything is going to happen with the ring, if the ring gets caught on some sort of torsion device, you get to be 'degloved'. No links this time, but if you are terribly interested, google "ring deglove" at YOUR OWN RISK.

#29 9 years ago
    Quoted from iwantansi:

I have this exact stand - it sucks - the bolts that compress on to the pipe will grab good, then the pipe gives, so you have to tighten them again, the pipe just keeps indenting more and more...

easy fix, drill the post to have the screw go into the post rather than on the surface like a set screw.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bench-buffer-gloves-or-no-gloves and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.