(Topic ID: 288264)

Benadryl, Lunesta, melatonin oh my...Any tips on sleeping?

By embryonjohn

3 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Benadryl, Lunesta, melatonin oh my...Any tips on sleeping?”

• Over the counter supplements & prescriptions meds 8 votes
      26%
    • Weed 15 votes
      48%
    • Knuckle children 8 votes
      26%

(31 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

4FEC0303-10F2-4EC5-B97B-100B9911E4A0 (resized).jpeg
    Best-Pillow-for-Shoulder-Pain-2 (resized).jpg
    20210220_092140 (resized).jpg
    CC6BB0C4-A332-47DE-A1FC-9A92ED0ECBD1 (resized).jpeg
    image (resized).jpg
    F11B91D3-B2E0-44FD-8BA2-54EEC9118B2D (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Daditude.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#40 3 years ago
    Quoted from roffels:

Depending on life circumstance:
    What worked for me with chronic sleeping issues:
    Cut back refined sugars
    Lost weight
    Regular exercise
    Stopped drinking caffeinated beverages
    For anxiety-related sleeping issues:
    CBD

Quoted from woody76:

hard workouts, healthy diet, and magnesium a couple hours before bed. Also, eat a apple or piece of fruit at night (google it, something about the natural sugars makes you sleepy).
    melatonin, CBD, etc. are worthless. I always wake up at 3am and can never go back to sleep when I take that type stuff. The above is the only thing that works for me.
    funny yall talking about weed. I have not smoked in years but it always made me want to party or stay up watching movies and eating all night. Never made me sleepy.

I have had bouts of insomnia throughout my life. The above quotes are great places to start.

Everyone is a little different, but it boils down to one of 3 things: physical fatigue, mental anxiety, or surrounding stimuli.
    Natural remedies are far better than pill/drug remedies, especially long-term.

I dont know your personal situation, but here is my advice (some of this will likely be difficult):

1) Take care of your body
    Make sure you are at your proper weight/BMI. Exercise frequently. Eat as many natural, non-processed foods in your diet as possible. Cut out refined sugars, alcohol, smoking, and all medications (as possible). Dont drink any caffeine 6 hours before you sleep and dont eat 3 hours before you sleep. Get checked for food allergies at your next physical, and avoid any allergens if applicable. Experiment with cutting out red meats, increasing vegetable eating, and intermittent fasting.

2) Make time for your mental health
    This is really the toughest one. Try to do something nice for someone else every day. Employ positive thinking about yourself. Write a diary and/or to-do list. Read a mundane book. Replay your day back in your head, focusing on the positives (i often replay a round of golf i played...shot by shot). Focus on deep, slow breathing. Stretch before going to bed or even tighten and release every muscle in your body starting from the toes all the way to the top of your head.

3) Get your sleeping area prepped.
    Get black-out window coverings. Unplug or cover absolutely ALL light sources, no matter how small. Remove all noise-making devices (like a ticking clock, vibrating phone, etc). Get the right pillow, sheets, and bed for your body and sleeping style. Dont watch TV, your phone, or computer for at least 1 hour before bed. Get the right temperature set (most people like it slightly cool). Experiment with "white noise" such as a fan (what i use) or a recording of a babbling brook.

This is not an exhaustive list, but doing most of these items should yield a dramatic result...and quickly.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Daditude.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/benadryl-lunesta-melatonin-oh-my-any-tips-on-sleeping?tu=Daditude and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.