(Topic ID: 288264)

Benadryl, Lunesta, melatonin oh my...Any tips on sleeping?

By embryonjohn

3 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Benadryl, Lunesta, melatonin oh my...Any tips on sleeping?”

• Over the counter supplements & prescriptions meds 8 votes
      26%
    • Weed 15 votes
      48%
    • Knuckle children 8 votes
      26%

(31 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

4FEC0303-10F2-4EC5-B97B-100B9911E4A0 (resized).jpeg
    Best-Pillow-for-Shoulder-Pain-2 (resized).jpg
    20210220_092140 (resized).jpg
    CC6BB0C4-A332-47DE-A1FC-9A92ED0ECBD1 (resized).jpeg
    image (resized).jpg
    F11B91D3-B2E0-44FD-8BA2-54EEC9118B2D (resized).jpeg
    There are 129 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.
    #1 3 years ago

With Covid going into extra innings, anyone find their sleep pattern F.U.B.A.R?
    Any tips?

#2 3 years ago

Fire off some knuckle children before bed.

#3 3 years ago
    Quoted from Drenden:

You talking belly button bisque?

#4 3 years ago
    Quoted from embryonjohn:

You talking belly button bisque?

New England man chowder.

#5 3 years ago

Seriously guys, I nearly pissed myself laughing immediately upon entering this thread

#6 3 years ago
    Quoted from Drenden:

New England man chowder.

Shade grown~locally sourced

#7 3 years ago
    Quoted from embryonjohn:

Shade grown~locally sourced

Made by Rosie palm and her 5 sisters.

#8 3 years ago

While I don’t have a clever euphemism for jackin’ the beanstalk, I’ve had bad insomnia for most of my life and have tried almost everything over the years. Outside of Ambien the best thing I’ve found is ....weed.

#9 3 years ago
    Quoted from Chisox:

While I don’t have a clever euphemism for jackin’ the beanstalk, I’ve had bad insomnia for most of my life and have tried almost everything over the years. Outside of Ambien the best thing I’ve found is ....weed.

How’s the mornings after?

#10 3 years ago
    Quoted from Chisox:

I agree. I smoke every night before bed after the family goes to bed. Otherwise I can’t shut my brain off.

#11 3 years ago
    Quoted from embryonjohn:

No issues whatsoever.

#12 3 years ago
    Quoted from embryonjohn:

One Hit Water Pipe.

Id be up all night otherwise.

#13 3 years ago

Wow...
    No shit.
    Haven’t smoked since the Reagan administration.
    I gotta give it a shot.

#14 3 years ago
    Quoted from embryonjohn:

Wow...
    No shit.
    Haven’t smoked since the Reagan administration.
    I gotta give it a shot.

And the shit is a lot better now than it was then. Make sure it’s an indica. Nighty night.

#15 3 years ago

I find very different results based on the Melatonin. I'm currently using Nature Made 3mg and it's been excellent, getting 7-8 hours every single night since I started it months ago. A different brand I can't remember now was decent, but there was one delayed release brand that was awful, I couldn't get more than 6 hours with that stuff.

Also a few hits off the vape and an all-night youtube playlist of pinball vids or Homestar Runner or ASMR or nature sounds will always do the trick.

#16 3 years ago
    Quoted from JayDee:

And the shit is a lot better now than it was then. Make sure it’s an indica. Nighty night.

F11B91D3-B2E0-44FD-8BA2-54EEC9118B2D (resized).jpegF11B91D3-B2E0-44FD-8BA2-54EEC9118B2D (resized).jpeg
    #17 3 years ago

Indica absolutely.CBD's are also helpful.

#18 3 years ago
    Quoted from embryonjohn:

As long as you’re not blazing all day and night I’ve never noticed any kind of brain fog the next day and I’ve been smoking since the Reagan administration you speak of. I’m also a professional whiskey drinker and while it helps me sleep, I can’t say the next mornings are fog free. Oof!

#19 3 years ago

If I really, really spend some time stretching & using the roller, I sleep like the dead.

#20 3 years ago

Try sleep meditation. I started doing it with the peloton app and have never been more rested in my life. I used to toss and turn all night and my wife says I don't even move now.

#21 3 years ago
    Quoted from embryonjohn:

If I really, really spend some time stretching & using the roller, I sleep like the dead.

Try the over the counter sleep aids from Walgreens, Wal-som.

I don’t know if it’s placebo or not but seems to help me when it’s 3 am and I’m running through a mental list of all my pinside enemies.

#22 3 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Try the over the counter sleep aids from Walgreens, Wal-som.
    I don’t know if it’s placebo or not but seems to help me when it’s 3 am and I’m running through a mental list of all my pinside enemies.

That’s a long fuckin’ list.

#23 3 years ago

Depending on life circumstance:

What worked for me with chronic sleeping issues:
    Cut back refined sugars
    Lost weight
    Regular exercise
    Stopped drinking caffeinated beverages

For anxiety-related sleeping issues:
    CBD

#24 3 years ago

I work shift work.

Black out blinds, earplugs and eyemask are a must. Kill all blue/natural light and sleep in complete darkness. No alarm clock lights and turn your phone upside down and kill the volume.

#25 3 years ago

look to yourself and work out why you cannot sleep
    then work at fixing the problem

#26 3 years ago

hard workouts, healthy diet, and magnesium a couple hours before bed. Also, eat a apple or piece of fruit at night (google it, something about the natural sugars makes you sleepy).

melatonin, CBD, etc. are worthless. I always wake up at 3am and can never go back to sleep when I take that type stuff. The above is the only thing that works for me.

funny yall talking about weed. I have not smoked in years but it always made me want to party or stay up watching movies and eating all night. Never made me sleepy.

#27 3 years ago
    Quoted from PopBumperPete:

look to yourself and work out why you cannot sleep
    then work at fixing the problem

this is a good idea. Could be hormones, foods you are eating, stress, etc...

#28 3 years ago

DO NOT take lunesta or any variation.

Years ago I had insomnia bad and had to get up early to go to work. My insomnia was affecting my job and I decided to try lunesta.

First off, it works. I slept well. However, there were times when I would wake up to go to work with a terrible stomach ache. I would walk into the kitchen and realize that I made a full course spaghetti dinner in my sleep and devoured it.

A friend of mine wiped out the side of his car because he got up in the middle of the night for a drive but didn't remember it the next day.

Terrible side effects and habit forming.

#29 3 years ago

I hate smoking and kind of dislike vaping. But thc/cbd edibles in a 1 to 1 ratio have been a lifesaver for me. Have to take about 90 min before bedtime tho.

#30 3 years ago
    Quoted from Drenden:

That’s a long fuckin’ list.

YOU JUST MADE THE LIST!!

#31 3 years ago
    Quoted from bitternerd:

I hate smoking and kind of dislike vaping. But thc/cbd edibles in a 1 to 1 ratio have been a lifesaver for me. Have to take about 90 min before bedtime tho.

Vaping sucks. In a few years we are gonna look back at this and wonder what we were thinking.

Vaping irritates my lungs far worse than smoking pot ever did. You guys are playing with fire. I had a brief flirtation with it but never again.

Well usually not again I’m sure I’ll have to make an exception here or there.

#32 3 years ago

Numero uno tip, no screens... no TV... no phones... no screens whatsoever in bed.
    If you are already doing that then-
    Like fatdirk said then try some sleep meditation, not medication- don’t think you really need any pills or chews.

#33 3 years ago
    Quoted from Drenden:

That Has to be the funniest post of the year so far. Thanks for the laugh!! olololol

#34 3 years ago

Lay off or go easy on the booze, weed gummies, no phone/TV/etc about 30 minutes before bed.

#35 3 years ago

I was a 4 hour a night sleeper from age 12 to last year (44 now). I just couldn't turn my brain off. Laid there thinking of all the things I could be doing instead.

Last year, CBD changed that for me. A couple of CBD gummies just slows everything down for me and helps me feel calm.

I get about 6 hours of solid sleep now, and have zero issues waking up in the morning.

#36 3 years ago

Costco melatonin has been working for me. I’ve been taking it for about 5 years and I feel great in the morning. However it doesn’t seem to work as well if I eat a bunch of food.

image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg
    #37 3 years ago

Not all melatonin’s work the same. Find one that works for you

#38 3 years ago

Are you talking just oils, or actual herb too?
    The oils sketch me out. Not a fan.
    Actual herb though, good to go. Been using a Pax for a couple of years. The high is good, and my lungs are grateful.

#39 3 years ago

Lunesta and Ambien worked well for me , a little groggy in the morning but that’s expected with any sleep aid .
    Vistaril and anything that has diphenhydramine works great too .

#40 3 years ago
    Quoted from roffels:

Depending on life circumstance:
    What worked for me with chronic sleeping issues:
    Cut back refined sugars
    Lost weight
    Regular exercise
    Stopped drinking caffeinated beverages
    For anxiety-related sleeping issues:
    CBD

Quoted from woody76:

hard workouts, healthy diet, and magnesium a couple hours before bed. Also, eat a apple or piece of fruit at night (google it, something about the natural sugars makes you sleepy).
    melatonin, CBD, etc. are worthless. I always wake up at 3am and can never go back to sleep when I take that type stuff. The above is the only thing that works for me.
    funny yall talking about weed. I have not smoked in years but it always made me want to party or stay up watching movies and eating all night. Never made me sleepy.

I have had bouts of insomnia throughout my life. The above quotes are great places to start.

Everyone is a little different, but it boils down to one of 3 things: physical fatigue, mental anxiety, or surrounding stimuli.
    Natural remedies are far better than pill/drug remedies, especially long-term.

I dont know your personal situation, but here is my advice (some of this will likely be difficult):

1) Take care of your body
    Make sure you are at your proper weight/BMI. Exercise frequently. Eat as many natural, non-processed foods in your diet as possible. Cut out refined sugars, alcohol, smoking, and all medications (as possible). Dont drink any caffeine 6 hours before you sleep and dont eat 3 hours before you sleep. Get checked for food allergies at your next physical, and avoid any allergens if applicable. Experiment with cutting out red meats, increasing vegetable eating, and intermittent fasting.

2) Make time for your mental health
    This is really the toughest one. Try to do something nice for someone else every day. Employ positive thinking about yourself. Write a diary and/or to-do list. Read a mundane book. Replay your day back in your head, focusing on the positives (i often replay a round of golf i played...shot by shot). Focus on deep, slow breathing. Stretch before going to bed or even tighten and release every muscle in your body starting from the toes all the way to the top of your head.

3) Get your sleeping area prepped.
    Get black-out window coverings. Unplug or cover absolutely ALL light sources, no matter how small. Remove all noise-making devices (like a ticking clock, vibrating phone, etc). Get the right pillow, sheets, and bed for your body and sleeping style. Dont watch TV, your phone, or computer for at least 1 hour before bed. Get the right temperature set (most people like it slightly cool). Experiment with "white noise" such as a fan (what i use) or a recording of a babbling brook.

This is not an exhaustive list, but doing most of these items should yield a dramatic result...and quickly.

#41 3 years ago

I think there's some good info in here and things to try.

One philosophy that I have subscribed to though is make you bed a sleep zone. Aka, you go there to sleep (ok, other fun stuff too, but still). To personally accomplish this, I don't have a tv in the bedroom, and blackout curtains are a must. Figuring out your noise situation is also key. No caffeine after 2pm, and try to stop looking at blue light(tv's/phone) and eating anything 1-2 hours before bed.

#42 3 years ago

I sleep pretty good after having some beer. I always have a fan or something to relax to and drown any other noise.

I just had too many beers, and about to sleep for 12 hours.

I know people that swears by weed, never worked for me, made me just want to stay up longer and eat.

To each their own, beer works for me.

Goodnight!

#43 3 years ago
    Quoted from Da-Shaker:

Costco melatonin has been working for me. I’ve been taking it for about 5 years and I feel great in the morning. However it doesn’t seem to work as well if I eat a bunch of food.
    [quoted image]

I think it helps but it gives me severe nightmares!

#44 3 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Vaping sucks. In a few years we are gonna look back at this and wonder what we were thinking.
    Vaping irritates my lungs far worse than smoking pot ever did. You guys are playing with fire. I had a brief flirtation with it but never again.
    Well usually not again I’m sure I’ll have to make an exception here or there.

Agreed, dont trust vaping in the least.

Edibles for the win, and you can make your own so you know exactly whats in them.

#45 3 years ago

Plenty of physical activity, no caffeine after lunch, no chocolate after dinner and a regular sleep schedule is what works for me. I also work 12+ hours a day now, so making it to 10PM without falling asleep is a feat most nights.

#46 3 years ago

To sleep good for a loooong time I take a couple of 3 mg melatonins, two 25 mg benedryl tabs and one Doxylamine (Walgreens Wal-Som) but can wake up kinda foggy so sometimes I only take 1 ben and 1/2 a Dox. They don't really make me fall asleep quicker, just knock me out for longer without waking up after only a few hours.

#47 3 years ago

I disagree. Vaping those pre-made vape pens, or using nicotine vapes can be very damaging. They usually contain MCT (medium chain triglycerides) oil, in which case you’re inhaling fat and having it congeal on your lungs.

I have been vaping pure Shatter or Rosin for a couple years now and feel better then smoking heavily every day. I tried to use vape pens for a couple months and didn’t like the results.

Edit added: you also don’t want to burn out your lungs. you don’t want a huge cloud of smoke like you see the kids do these days. Just hot enough to work, nothing more.

#48 3 years ago
    Quoted from Daditude:

I have had bouts of insomnia throughout my life. The above quotes are great places to start.
    Everyone is a little different, but it boils down to one of 3 things: physical fatigue, mental anxiety, or surrounding stimuli.
    Natural remedies are far better than pill/drug remedies, especially long-term.
    I dont know your personal situation, but here is my advice (some of this will likely be difficult):
    1) Take care of your body
    Make sure you are at your proper weight/BMI. Exercise frequently. Eat as many natural, non-processed foods in your diet as possible. Cut out refined sugars, alcohol, smoking, and all medications (as possible). Dont drink any caffeine 6 hours before you sleep and dont eat 3 hours before you sleep. Get checked for food allergies at your next physical, and avoid any allergens if applicable. Experiment with cutting out red meats, increasing vegetable eating, and intermittent fasting.
    2) Make time for your mental health
    This is really the toughest one. Try to do something nice for someone else every day. Employ positive thinking about yourself. Write a diary and/or to-do list. Read a mundane book. Replay your day back in your head, focusing on the positives (i often replay a round of golf i played...shot by shot). Focus on deep, slow breathing. Stretch before going to bed or even tighten and release every muscle in your body starting from the toes all the way to the top of your head.
    3) Get your sleeping area prepped.
    Get black-out window coverings. Unplug or cover absolutely ALL light sources, no matter how small. Remove all noise-making devices (like a ticking clock, vibrating phone, etc). Get the right pillow, sheets, and bed for your body and sleeping style. Dont watch TV, your phone, or computer for at least 1 hour before bed. Get the right temperature set (most people like it slightly cool). Experiment with "white noise" such as a fan (what i use) or a recording of a babbling brook.
    This is not an exhaustive list, but doing most of these items should yield a dramatic result...and quickly.

The above is all excellent advice for the true, long term, persistent insomniac. Short term (weeks or even a couple months) insomniacs can get by with meds or tricks, but those in it for the long haul need be pristine. What I would add is that there are a small population of people who are slow metabolizers of caffeine (methylxanthines) and many of these people are insomniacs. If you think you might be one, cut out all caffeine and chocolate.

Cut out all drugs with exception of necessary prescriptions - but don’t accept prescription sleep meds.

Exercise.

Eat healthy.

Get rid of your stress to the extent possible.

The only screen in your bed would be used for reading books, and be blue-light filtered.

#49 3 years ago

Already mentioned, but white noise for me. I took an extra stereo, dialed in a blank radio number and hit the on/off button as needed.
    I have a second home downtown Denver and city noises of any kind are canceled. Major sporting celebrations or St Patrick's day? ppffft

#50 3 years ago

I've never really had a problem unless I consume an energy drink or pre-workout powder too late in the day. Some of those, plus a coke or something will add up to 500 mg caffeine real quick.

I think keeping a routine helps. I go to bed at the same time every night. I also read for about 30 minutes when I get in bed. Then I usually grab the IPod and go through a quick few apps to see if there's any news before bed. Usually I'm out like a light before I can get done. Often fall asleep with the IPod still on and in my hand. The screen light doesn't prevent me from sleeping like they warn people not to use them before bed.

There are 129 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/benadryl-lunesta-melatonin-oh-my-any-tips-on-sleeping?hl=atari_daze and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.