(Topic ID: 288264)

Benadryl, Lunesta, melatonin oh my...Any tips on sleeping?

By embryonjohn

3 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Benadryl, Lunesta, melatonin oh my...Any tips on sleeping?”

• Over the counter supplements & prescriptions meds 8 votes
      26%
    • Weed 15 votes
      48%
    • Knuckle children 8 votes
      26%

(31 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

4FEC0303-10F2-4EC5-B97B-100B9911E4A0 (resized).jpeg
    Best-Pillow-for-Shoulder-Pain-2 (resized).jpg
    20210220_092140 (resized).jpg
    CC6BB0C4-A332-47DE-A1FC-9A92ED0ECBD1 (resized).jpeg
    image (resized).jpg
    F11B91D3-B2E0-44FD-8BA2-54EEC9118B2D (resized).jpeg
    There are 129 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 3.
    #101 3 years ago

10 years ago I kept having these stupid 'suffocation dreams' where I had apnea cuz of the position of my head or whatever but couldn't really move nor wake all the way up, so I sorta had to keep purposely edging my mostly paralyzed body closer and closer to the edge of the bed as best I could so I'd fall out and wake up out of it. And I have a laminate floor. BAAANG!!

#102 3 years ago

Like many here have had to deal with insomina my whole life. Really bad at times.
    Melatonin works best for me. I'll take 1/2 tablet when needed. Other than asprin,
    this is the only drug I've ever taken. Amazed at the number of pot heads here!

#103 3 years ago
    Quoted from loneacer:

I've been googling shoulder pain lately and ended up with a FB ad for a pillow with a cutout in it for your arm to help with shoulder pain.
    Actually went to the doc for it today after suffering for 5 years. Getting an MRI next week, but might have a bicep tendon tear among other things.

Like this?

We got these when we bought our iCloud bed about 6 years ago, memory foam pillows w the cutouts for side sleepers. My wife uses hers every night, I've never gotten used to it though I still try to use it occasionally. They were $50 ea when we got them with the bed.

20210220_092140 (resized).jpg20210220_092140 (resized).jpg
    #104 3 years ago

Speaking of pillows, that My Pillow guy keeps me up at night just thinking about him.

#105 3 years ago

My Fitbit tracks my sleep and gives an overall Sleep Score. Not sure what to do with the info beyond “ nice to know”

#106 3 years ago
    Quoted from DanQverymuch:

I have no problem getting to sleep, even after something wakes me up. But I am sure my sleep would be better if I could stop waking up when my shoulder starts hurting a little while after rolling onto my side, which has always been my preferred sleeping position. Dunno how to tell my sleeping self not to do that!

try different mattresses.. I always sleep on my side also and the wrong mattress can put pressure on your hips, shoulder etc over time.

For me firmer actually helps.

You would think softer would be the idea but it makes it worse.

#107 3 years ago

Something else to remember is to remove as many electronics from your bedroom as possible. Besides the mental association of sleep to work/surfing, cell phones emit radiation, and the blue light emitted by many devices disrupts the natural production of melatonin.

#108 3 years ago
    Quoted from pinzrfun:

Like this?
    We got these when we bought our iCloud bed about 6 years ago, memory foam pillows w the cutouts for side sleepers. My wife uses hers every night, I've never gotten used to it though I still try to use it occasionally. They were $50 ea when we got them with the bed.
    [quoted image]

I think it was more like this one. It had a notch in the pillow that you put your arm through. I didn't pay too much attention. It was an unwanted facebook ad based on a previous google search. I'm a stomach sleeper, so I don't think it would work for me.

Best-Pillow-for-Shoulder-Pain-2 (resized).jpgBest-Pillow-for-Shoulder-Pain-2 (resized).jpg
    #109 3 years ago
    Quoted from Methos:

Something else to remember is to remove as many electronics from your bedroom as possible. Besides the mental association of sleep to work/surfing, cell phones emit radiation, and the blue light emitted by many devices disrupts the natural production of melatonin.

I have all my devices set to evening mode (blue reduction or elimination) when the sun sets to get a head start on all that. I haven't had a TV in the bedroom since I lived with my parents many years ago. Won't ever do so again.

#110 3 years ago

I’m one of the few that Zyrtec gives a fucking wonderful nights sleep to. You might be one of the lucky group as well

#111 3 years ago
    Quoted from loneacer:

I think it was more like this one. It had a notch in the pillow that you put your arm through. I didn't pay too much attention. It was an unwanted facebook ad based on a previous google search. I'm a stomach sleeper, so I don't think it would work for me.
    [quoted image]

I'm a side sleeper and saw that pillow but eliminated it as the elevation looks way too extreme for me.

#112 3 years ago
    Quoted from embryonjohn:

I had sleep apnea surgery.
    Truly barbaric stuff.
    They took out my tonsils & adenoids, arched my throat, clipped off the uvula and re-broke my nose setting it so I could breathe out of both sides again.
    It’s now physically impossible for me to snore.

The snoring returns........

#113 3 years ago
    Quoted from Mr68:

I'm a side sleeper and saw that pillow but eliminated it as the elevation looks way too extreme for me.

Did you see the non-GERD version, not so steep?

The manufacturer's website has them on sale cheaper than Amazon, too.
    https://medcline.com/pages/shoulder-pain-relief-system

I just ordered one. Thanks, @loneacer, I hadn't seen it before.

#114 3 years ago
    Quoted from Mr68:

BTW. If any of you guys regularly wake up with the urge to urinate, I highly recommend you research Saw Palmetto. Not a drug, its an herb and I am a huge believer. Give it a least a month to kick in.
    I think all men over 40 should be taking it for general prostate health but I'm not in a mood to get on my soapbox right now.

this. was getting up to pee at least once per night (can always go back to sleep) but started saw palmetto and rarely get up anymore.

#115 3 years ago
    Quoted from Seamlesswall:

Speaking of pillows, that My Pillow guy keeps me up at night just thinking about him.

love that guy

#116 3 years ago
    Quoted from frenchmarky:

10 years ago I kept having these stupid 'suffocation dreams' where I had apnea cuz of the position of my head or whatever but couldn't really move nor wake all the way up, so I sorta had to keep purposely edging my mostly paralyzed body closer and closer to the edge of the bed as best I could so I'd fall out and wake up out of it. And I have a laminate floor. BAAANG!!

I had those dreams years ago too. The worst. I tried a CPAP for a year but having that thing on my face just made my insomnia worse. Lost 30 lbs and the sleep apnea disappeared. Thanks goodness. Now I can have horrible nightmares about other things.

#117 3 years ago

My ex-wife said we never would have had children except that I toss and turned in my sleep.

#118 3 years ago

Read a nice, calm book:

4FEC0303-10F2-4EC5-B97B-100B9911E4A0 (resized).jpeg4FEC0303-10F2-4EC5-B97B-100B9911E4A0 (resized).jpeg
    #119 3 years ago

Have you tried running a small fan on low in the corner of your sleeping quarters? That white noise helps

#120 3 years ago
    Quoted from Blitzburgh99:

Have you tried running a small fan on low in the corner of your sleeping quarters? That white noise helps

I always pack a fan when I travel also.

Many places you think you can get the fan white noise, only to find out the unit kicks on and off.

#121 3 years ago
    Quoted from JohnnyPinball007:

I always pack a fan when I travel also.

A fan is a must for comfortable sleeping.
    Not just any fan, some are high RPM whiners that drive you crazy.
    Others a low drone that vibrates loose trim and non-nailed floor boards.
    When you get a Tuned fan for sleeping you have a good thing.
    I have non-drinking friends that do not hesitate to take a swig of Nyquil.
    It (or the store generic) is good in a pinch, but it is highly addictive.
    3 days on Severe Flu nyquil-type elixers and severe confusion sets in.

#122 3 years ago

Gummy Edibles help me catch good Zzzz's.

Careful tho...too much can be like getting too drunk and may result in bed spins.

#123 3 years ago

I found a sleep gadget at a thrift store called a Dodow. It projects a slowly throbbing light on your ceiling that you are supposed to time your breathing with, to help you relax and drift off. Apparently science is involved, so there may be something to it.

I'm sitting on it in case I need it when I get (even) older, I hear old farts have trouble with insomnia a lot. (So far so good here, knock on memory foam)

#124 3 years ago

Trazodone...

Robert

#125 3 years ago
    Quoted from embryonjohn:

Shade grown~locally sourced

Gluten free organic I assume. My wife partakes occasionally.

What were we talking about again?

#126 3 years ago
    Quoted from phil-lee:

A fan is a must for comfortable sleeping.
    Not just any fan, some are high RPM whiners that drive you crazy.

I started with a fan, but back about 20 years ago I got a new neighbor with a barking dog they left outside if they were gone. The fan didn't block that. That's when I bought my first white noise machine. I've had 3 so far. The newest one has about 10 different white noise sounds and 10 different fan sounds. Plus the volume can be set to several levels. Find the right noise and the right volume and nothing will keep you awake.

#127 3 years ago
    Quoted from MrSanRamon:

Trazodone...
    Robert

It does the trick for me too.

1 month later
    #128 3 years ago

https://medcline.com/pages/shoulder-pain-relief-system
    I just ordered one. Thanks, loneacer, I hadn't seen it before.

Followup: Long story short, it worked! I wasn't too thrilled with how comfortable it was, I was sure my arm would fall asleep but it didn't, and after a week that pain in my shoulder joints after 20 minutes laying on either side was no longer happening.

Still using the body pillow, but the wedge part is stored away in case the pain ever recurs. (And with Rick and Morty's magnet button having rewired my brain to not nudge excessively or tilt, it may never do so!)

#129 3 years ago

Followup: Long story short, it worked! I wasn't too thrilled with how comfortable it was, I was sure my arm would fall asleep but it didn't, and after a week that pain in my shoulder joints after 20 minutes laying on either side was no longer happening.
    Still using the body pillow, but the wedge part is stored away in case the pain ever recurs. (And with Rick and Morty's magnet button having rewired my brain to not nudge excessively or tilt, it may never do so!)

I actually bought the same and would never go back to the old pillow

There are 129 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/benadryl-lunesta-melatonin-oh-my-any-tips-on-sleeping/page/3 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.