(Topic ID: 288264)

Benadryl, Lunesta, melatonin oh my...Any tips on sleeping?

By embryonjohn

3 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Benadryl, Lunesta, melatonin oh my...Any tips on sleeping?”

• Over the counter supplements & prescriptions meds 8 votes
      26%
    • Weed 15 votes
      48%
    • Knuckle children 8 votes
      26%

(31 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

4FEC0303-10F2-4EC5-B97B-100B9911E4A0 (resized).jpeg
    Best-Pillow-for-Shoulder-Pain-2 (resized).jpg
    20210220_092140 (resized).jpg
    CC6BB0C4-A332-47DE-A1FC-9A92ED0ECBD1 (resized).jpeg
    image (resized).jpg
    F11B91D3-B2E0-44FD-8BA2-54EEC9118B2D (resized).jpeg
    There are 129 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 3.
    #51 3 years ago
    Quoted from Mr68:

Already mentioned, but white noise for me.

Oh yes, always white noise. I slept with a fan on from the time I was a kid until about 25. Then I learned of white noise machines and have used those since. If the power goes out in the night and the machine shuts off, I wake up instantly and can't go back to sleep until it's back on.

#52 3 years ago

I didnt believe it but a few friends said try Advil pm. Pleasantly surprised it helps keep you in a deep sleep.

#53 3 years ago
    Quoted from Vyzer2:

I didnt believe it but a few friends said try Advil pm. Pleasantly surprised it helps keep you in a deep sleep.

The ingredient that helps you sleep is diphehydramine, the same active ingredient in benadryl. If you're just looking for something to knock you out, it may be cheaper to get a generic version.

I mentioned earlier my successful way of addressing chronic sleep issues (diet, exercise, no caffeine). Previous to addressing these issues, I was taking either benadryl or melatonin nightly and could not sleep without them. While benadryl would knock me out, my mind and body never felt rested. I feel much better throughout the day now that I no longer rely on these, and try to have something like CBD on hand for the occasional tough nights. The CBD hasn't been habit forming thankfully and feels closer to a natural, non-medicated sleep.

#54 3 years ago
    Quoted from PismoArcade:

DO NOT take lunesta or any variation.
    Years ago I had insomnia bad and had to get up early to go to work. My insomnia was affecting my job and I decided to try lunesta.
    First off, it works. I slept well. However, there were times when I would wake up to go to work with a terrible stomach ache. I would walk into the kitchen and realize that I made a full course spaghetti dinner in my sleep and devoured it.
    A friend of mine wiped out the side of his car because he got up in the middle of the night for a drive but didn't remember it the next day.
    Terrible side effects and habit forming.

+1 Lunesta is NASTY especially if someone wakes you up in the middle of the night your functions and reactions are way off. Not to mention you feel gross in the morning. Lunesta is a no benzo. Your better off taking an actual benzo type drug if you need something that strong short term like I did.

Melatonin works best for me. More specifically pure encapsulations brand I think it’s called. Not all melatonin is the same on the market. I think I tried taking the same kind and what someone else posted here with a purple lid. That didn’t do anything for me either.

Beer also helps me sleep longer (hi Johnny haha) but I’m finding the quality of said sleep is slightly lower or I’m less energetic. Right now I’m doing a sober stint and I’m finding I’m sleeping less but feeling more refreshed.

CBD in low doses helps. THC I have to be VERY careful with. If too close to bed time it’s a panic attack at 2am for me every time. So I don’t do that anymore.

#55 3 years ago

Valarian Root, Magnesium and Hops. May I suggest Sierra Nevada Torpedo?

#56 3 years ago
    Quoted from ectobar:

Are you talking just oils, or actual herb too?
    The oils sketch me out. Not a fan.
    Actual herb though, good to go. Been using a Pax for a couple of years. The high is good, and my lungs are grateful.

I was talking oils

#57 3 years ago

I couldn’t read everyone else’s suggestions, but here is mine.

I had a stroke and three brain surgeries. Massive sleep issues I had to get through.

But the best thing that helped me was exercise. Regular exercise. Must be consistent. Daily initially and for a long time.

Once you find the exercise that fits you, do it daily increasing the workout time until you begin to sleep as you wish.

It won’t take long less than one week for you to find the right level of effort to induce good sleep. Push it a bit. Safely. But push it.

The side effect is your health.

Best of luck. You can easily crack this.

#58 3 years ago

I find consistency really helps
    go to sleep and get up the same time every day

also remain active during the day so you are actually tired at night

#59 3 years ago
    Quoted from Daditude:

I have had bouts of insomnia throughout my life. The above quotes are great places to start.
    Everyone is a little different, but it boils down to one of 3 things: physical fatigue, mental anxiety, or surrounding stimuli.
    Natural remedies are far better than pill/drug remedies, especially long-term.
    I dont know your personal situation, but here is my advice (some of this will likely be difficult):
    1) Take care of your body
    Make sure you are at your proper weight/BMI. Exercise frequently. Eat as many natural, non-processed foods in your diet as possible. Cut out refined sugars, alcohol, smoking, and all medications (as possible). Dont drink any caffeine 6 hours before you sleep and dont eat 3 hours before you sleep. Get checked for food allergies at your next physical, and avoid any allergens if applicable. Experiment with cutting out red meats, increasing vegetable eating, and intermittent fasting.
    2) Make time for your mental health
    This is really the toughest one. Try to do something nice for someone else every day. Employ positive thinking about yourself. Write a diary and/or to-do list. Read a mundane book. Replay your day back in your head, focusing on the positives (i often replay a round of golf i played...shot by shot). Focus on deep, slow breathing. Stretch before going to bed or even tighten and release every muscle in your body starting from the toes all the way to the top of your head.
    3) Get your sleeping area prepped.
    Get black-out window coverings. Unplug or cover absolutely ALL light sources, no matter how small. Remove all noise-making devices (like a ticking clock, vibrating phone, etc). Get the right pillow, sheets, and bed for your body and sleeping style. Dont watch TV, your phone, or computer for at least 1 hour before bed. Get the right temperature set (most people like it slightly cool). Experiment with "white noise" such as a fan (what i use) or a recording of a babbling brook.
    This is not an exhaustive list, but doing most of these items should yield a dramatic result...and quickly.

^ This. Anything else is just going to end your life sooner than it should be.

Try organic tart cherry juice. Fights inflammation just like NSAIDs, that block the enzyme cyclooxygenase COX-2 in your stomach lining but does not decrease COX-1, which is the protective layer of your stomach and is what causes people to bleed from overuse of NSAIDs which can cause death.

The melatonin in capsule form are like most supplements, not as beneficial as the whole plant/fruit.

#60 3 years ago

avoid drugs...

try Olly melatonin gummy things... two of those seem to do the job.

There is no great answer to this other than to work on it but in the meantime I have found melatonin to be the best way to avoid side effects etc

#61 3 years ago

Did melatonin not work for anyone but me? It made me jittery and kept me up even more.

#62 3 years ago
    Quoted from Elvishasleft:

avoid drugs...
    try Olly melatonin gummy things...

most of the melatonin gummies include glucose syrup (also known as confectioner's glucose, is a syrup made from the hydrolysis of starch), is a sugar. Maize (corn) and sugar as the first two ingredients. Kind of of defeats the purpose if you are trying to get to sleep.

Stick with the original extract - cherries or tart cherry juice.

#63 3 years ago

Zero drugs. Eliminate your stress. No daytime napping. Zero caffeine (only if you are sensitive to it).
    Play a minimum of one game of pinball daily.
    Work each day until you drop.
    YMMV....

#64 3 years ago
    Quoted from Methos:

most of the melatonin gummies include glucose syrup (also known as confectioner's glucose, is a syrup made from the hydrolysis of starch), is a sugar. Maize (corn) and sugar as the first two ingredients. Kind of of defeats the purpose if you are trying to get to sleep.

They do but whats the concern?

They knock me out pretty good so the tiny bit of sugar doesnt seem to matter (for me anyways)

#65 3 years ago

Cbd gummies

#66 3 years ago

i bought some melatonin a few days ago - doubled the dosage the first night, slept ok, fell back asleep after waking up several times for the most part -

we have 3 cats that constantly want to be fed all night, and one the howls like he's being stabbed lately for some reason. I think the last time I actually SLEPT 8 hours was over 30 years ago. If I get 4 hours uninterrupted it's a miracle.

#67 3 years ago

Melatonin dosages vary wildly. I bought some years ago that turned out to be 0.3 mg. Others on Amazon are 20 mg or more. I take them a couple times a year. They don't help me fall asleep, but they give me wild dreams, so I'm guessing I sleep deeper on them.

#68 3 years ago
    Quoted from Elvishasleft:

They do but whats the concern?
    They knock me out pretty good so the tiny bit of sugar doesnt seem to matter (for me anyways)

If it works for you, that's great...but why raise your blood sugar levels and increase your risk for a multitude of diseases when you don't need it?

#69 3 years ago
    Quoted from pinzrfun:

we have 3 cats that constantly want to be fed all night, and one the howls like he's being stabbed lately for some reason.

Get it checked out at the vet if you haven't lately...I had one once that did that when his kidneys were going. The kidney is pretty much the weakest point in a cat. It could also be an issue of getting lost in the dark as well.

#70 3 years ago

Sleep apnea could also be a concern for some.You can be affected by this and not realize it.Novasom has a home test kit that can diagnose this for around 300 bucks.It was a lifesaver for me.A cpap machine will help tremendously with sleep issues but you will need a diagnosis/prescription to get one.

#71 3 years ago

Melatonin did nothing for me.

Benadryl I built up a tolerance.

I take Lunesta. But a lot of nights I wake up several times. If I take Klonopin at night most times it helps me sleep through the night.

I stick to routine. Bed time the same time every night even on weekends. I don't watch TV anymore in bed. I use a fan for white noise. Put some pad on the bottom of the bedroom door to block out light and keep the bathroom door closed to make room as dark as possible.

I'm going to buy a weighted blanket this weekend to see if that helps me stay asleep through the night.

#72 3 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Try the over the counter sleep aids from Walgreens, Wal-som.
    I don’t know if it’s placebo or not but seems to help me when it’s 3 am and I’m running through a mental list of all my pinside enemies.

Am I on the list? Just curious. Lol

#73 3 years ago

BTW. If any of you guys regularly wake up with the urge to urinate, I highly recommend you research Saw Palmetto. Not a drug, its an herb and I am a huge believer. Give it a least a month to kick in.
    I think all men over 40 should be taking it for general prostate health but I'm not in a mood to get on my soapbox right now.

#74 3 years ago

You wanna sleep?? SEX before bedtime...(course your wife may not agree with this on a nightly thingy).

#75 3 years ago
    Quoted from VectorGamer:

I'm going to buy a weighted blanket this weekend to see if that helps me stay asleep through the night.

Oh you are in for a treat! If you have a down blanket put the weighted blanket under if you want more effectiveness. Or maybe try over and see what you like best. Also there will be different options of weight based on your own body weight as well.

You may need to reduce blankets if you start overheating in the middle of the night.

#76 3 years ago

I worked 10 years on the graveyard shift and a couple of shots of tequila always did it for me

#77 3 years ago

I have no problem getting to sleep, even after something wakes me up. But I am sure my sleep would be better if I could stop waking up when my shoulder starts hurting a little while after rolling onto my side, which has always been my preferred sleeping position. Dunno how to tell my sleeping self not to do that!

Does anyone know of a good support pillow that actually works, and would keep the weight of my huge melon off of my shoulder?

I've even considered cutting a channel into the mattress for my arm, to put the weight of my whole upper torso on my side instead of my shoulder. It kind of helps when I approximate that idea with another pillow under my side, but it's awkward, and then I wake up just as reliably when I happen to roll onto my back, and I groggily yank it out. (The pillow, that is! The _pillow_!)

Gotta be more insistent about it at my next checkup, I think. Maybe it's something that needs fixing. At my age I'm lucky it's not something worse, I suppose.

#78 3 years ago

If you can't sleep, you should consider the possibility you may have sleep apnea. You may want to talk to your doctor about a sleep study. The results can be shocking on how many times you wake up.

#79 3 years ago

I had sleep apnea surgery.
    Truly barbaric stuff.
    They took out my tonsils & adenoids, arched my throat, clipped off the uvula and re-broke my nose setting it so I could breathe out of both sides again.
    It’s now physically impossible for me to snore.

#80 3 years ago

I worked night shift for 24 years and not anymore but I still haven't transitioned to a day shift wake pattern. I took Ambien on and off for years, it worked pretty well but it's a benzo and very addictive. I quit cold turkey and slept very little for 4 days and was miserable. I take Belsomra and it helps some but is very expensive. Melatonin and benadryl were not effective for me.

#81 3 years ago

Clear your mind by pretending that you're staring at a black or grey wall. Do diaphragmatic breathing (belly breathing). Deep breath in with your nose (hold it for a sec) and release through either your nose or your mouth. Before you know it, you'll be out like a light. No drugs.

#82 3 years ago
    Quoted from DanQverymuch:

I have no problem getting to sleep, even after something wakes me up. But I am sure my sleep would be better if I could stop waking up when my shoulder starts hurting a little while after rolling onto my side, which has always been my preferred sleeping position. Dunno how to tell my sleeping self not to do that!
    Does anyone know of a good support pillow that actually works

I've been googling shoulder pain lately and ended up with a FB ad for a pillow with a cutout in it for your arm to help with shoulder pain.

Actually went to the doc for it today after suffering for 5 years. Getting an MRI next week, but might have a bicep tendon tear among other things.

#83 3 years ago

1/2 bar of Xanax does the trick for me when I occasionally have trouble falling asleep.
    Don't take it if you've been drinking though; bad combo.
    Terry.

#84 3 years ago

As much as I hate to say this....I pretty much had to quit drinking to get better sleep in the last 6 months. I have no more night sweats or restlessness and position changing, and when I wake up to pee I can get back to sleep. Of course that is along with melatonin and some other pain and ptsd meds. If I can't get tired I hit the garage for 2 hits on a pipe and turn off the tv a half hour later. Weed is the best though. I sure do miss my beer though and will have 2 occasionally in the afternoon.

#85 3 years ago
    Quoted from Methos:

Oddly, on a pinball site, I learn about inflammation today. Then I go out and buy Tart Cherry Juice for the first time in my life. If it actually works for inflammation now I know why its 7 bucks a bottle.

#86 3 years ago
    Quoted from playernumber4:

I pretty much had to quit drinking to get better sleep

May I ask what type of beer you used to drink? Brand?

#87 3 years ago
    Quoted from pinballlife:

1/2 bar of Xanax does the trick for me when I occasionally have trouble falling asleep.
    Don't take it if you've been drinking though; bad combo.
    Terry.

I get anxiety and I have to rely on it, but I really really try to avoid it.

#88 3 years ago
    Quoted from Seamlesswall:

Oddly, on a pinball site, I learn about inflammation today. Then I go out and buy Tart Cherry Juice for the first time in my life. If it actually works for inflammation now I know why its 7 bucks a bottle.

It does more than that. Prevents gout, lowers blood sugar, revives sore muscles, reduces cholesterol oxidation...cherries are a super food, just like kale, turmeric, broccoli, etc.

#89 3 years ago
    Quoted from Seamlesswall:

Then I go out and buy Tart Cherry Juice for the first time in my life. If it actually works for inflammation .

It destroys gout

#90 3 years ago

Weed does wonders for me. I don't like getting stoned so I smoke a weed that's very light on thc but high in cbd, 30 minutes later I sleep like a baby.
    The only drawback is I don't remember my dreams but with my levels of stress and anxiety it's a small price to pay

#91 3 years ago

duplicate

#92 3 years ago

Say your Prayers.
    Don't owe anything.
    Settle any grievance before the sun sets.
    Clear out your nose really good.
    Sleep a little chilly.
    Brush your teeth before you lay down.
    A fan in the background on low
    Light covers.
    An eye cover (Just lay a clean sock over your eyes to block out the morning light)
    I am now a recreational sleeper, used to be Pro a few years ago but retired.

#93 3 years ago

Oh yeah, fresh sheets always help too.

#94 3 years ago

A poll was added. Be sure and vote. lol

#95 3 years ago

A good infused edibles, start small doses
    Indica best for sleep

#96 3 years ago

I have a few uncles who use sleeping pills and they have wrecked their sleep habits completely. They can't sleep unless they pop a pill now.

One of them is on "zopiclone" and he can't sleep without it. Truly devastating on the body and has withdrawal symptoms similar to any benzo-drugs.

#97 3 years ago

give CSI (Stern, 2008) a try. you’re guaranteed a good nights sleep before you launch the 3rd ball.

#98 3 years ago

Here's what helped me: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07QLF7WHZ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o07_s00 (not really recommending a particular brand).

bluetooth sleep headphones combined with audio books. I set a timer on my audible app on my phone for 30 minutes and 99% of the time I'm asleep in five minutes. I used to have a terrible time getting to sleep but something about listening to audio books just knocks me out.

#99 3 years ago

For me, it’s not a problem falling asleep as much as it is staying asleep,initially, for more than four hours.I take that middle of the night wake time to “pee and pray” which eventually knocks me out for the rest of the night. Thanks for all of the suggestions here as I would love to experience 7-8 hours of uninterrupted sleep once in awhile.

#100 3 years ago

So I bought a sleep tracker device a couple of weeks ago. It slips under your mattress and records everything your body does while asleep and issues a report the next morning. It then becomes your coach
    and notifications start popping up on your phone:
    “time to limit your phone usage”
    “time to get into bed”
    “great job getting to bed early last night”
    “Please don’t repurchase a 4th Centaur”
    “do you really need another Jägermeister”

Here’s last night’s report base on a non stressful day with no booze & no eating or snacking three hours before sleep.

CC6BB0C4-A332-47DE-A1FC-9A92ED0ECBD1 (resized).jpegCC6BB0C4-A332-47DE-A1FC-9A92ED0ECBD1 (resized).jpeg
    There are 129 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/benadryl-lunesta-melatonin-oh-my-any-tips-on-sleeping/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.