Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 309 posts
  • 133 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by Rascal_H
  • Topic is favorited by 18 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

ben_heck_next_game_whitewood3 (resized).jpg
    ben_heck_next_game_whitewood1 (resized).png
    whatpinsidewants.jpg
    ec1b379d4d82b2106c39583925a405ce472aee95 (resized).jpg
    BF20B0EB-E7CD-404B-92B2-3874F70F1510 (resized).jpeg
    C8338839-F83B-430C-83EA-C937F2627C18 (resized).jpeg
    24n6up (resized).jpg
    download (1) (resized).png
    BenHeckThumbsUpDown (resized).jpg
    giphy.gif
    download (resized).jpg
    There are 309 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 7.
    #201 6 years ago

Wow, I had no idea. Not that I was about to pick up and move to Chicago, but given that every other city in the country seems to be growing I'm surprised that Chicago isn't. There's nothing they can do about that miserable Midwest weather, but hopefully they get the rest of it sorted out.

#202 6 years ago

Join the crowd... Everyone's moving to Texas. :sigh:

#203 6 years ago
    Quoted from Zitt:

try Denver and the front range , my humble home has doubled in value in the last 6 years

#204 6 years ago
    Quoted from Richthofen:

I'm a remote software engineer working from home, so I am all for remote work. Having said that mechs and other things are gonna change daily and the idea that you can ship pieces back and forth and not have the developer in the office wouldn't work for such a physical platform like pinball. Just my .02c

Ya, it's hard to say for sure having not done it. But in my head, the designer should be able to get the basic flipping layout and mechanical design say, 95% done w/out a significant amount of software. So you don't make the work hard and run it in parallel (i.e., have dev write a bunch of throw away code as design is iterated). Instead, you run the layout and programming mostly sequentially. Which I would guess/hope happens even when the designer/mechanical engineer/programmer are co-located unless there's a significant platform change in flight (Pin2k, etc.).

#205 6 years ago
    Quoted from toyotaboy:

But it worked so well for JPOP and applejuice

From what I've read, I wouldn't use JPOP as my benchmark for measuring the effectiveness of alternative engineering processes/approaches

#206 6 years ago

Did someone say applejuice?

#207 6 years ago
    Quoted from Zitt:

We don't want them here. They leave because their states and cities have been destroyed but they bring the same thing here.

#208 6 years ago
    Quoted from zr11990:

We don't want them here. They leave because their states and cities have been destroyed but they bring the same thing here.

Well fine, then I WON'T move there.

#209 6 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Well fine, then I WON'T move there.

I like you no matter what Levi. I would welcome you regardless, not that my opinion matters. We would just have to NOT talk about politics. Ill take you shooting and the next thing you know you will be buying an AR-15. But I think you are a New Yorker through and through and would not be moving here anytime soon. You would be bored for one thing. There is nothing to do here compared to NYC.

#210 6 years ago
    Quoted from zr11990:

I've been thinking about moving to Texas but I don't vote.

Is that OK?

#211 6 years ago
    Quoted from benheck:

I've been thinking about moving to Texas but I don't vote.
    Is that OK?

I guess so. Will you bring me a AMH ?

#212 6 years ago

Hey guys I have a um friend thnking aboot moving to Texas; do they let the gays in yet?

#213 6 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

Hey guys I have a um friend thnking aboot moving to Texas; do they let the gays in yet?

They have to live in Austin.

#214 6 years ago
    Quoted from zr11990:

They have to live in Austin.

Dammit I almost typed "Other than Austin"

#215 6 years ago

We don't take them out behind the barn any more as long as they behave themselves. No parading around in assless chaps or anything. Now the hot lesbians are always welcome.

#216 6 years ago
    Quoted from InfiniteLives:

try Denver and the front range , my humble home has doubled in value in the last 6 years

Shhh, no need to advertise. If people are clambering for that 105 degree/85% humidity Texas summer weather, let 'em have it!

#217 6 years ago
    Quoted from InfiniteLives:

Exact same thing on the Wasatch range along Salt Lake City. Growth is insane, and it stresses me out. Property values have shot up a ton (hooray for increased taxes!), and housing is popping up everywhere. I miss all the open space we used to have and I hate seeing how much more water we're pulling down to satisfy the growth. It all seems unfeasible to me in the long run. The Great Salt Lake is shrinking a lot due to all the water we're diverting for irrigation and drinking, and that's not a good thing.

#218 6 years ago

The southwest has been trying to get a water pipeline from the great lakes. Oh, you're bad at managing your resources? Well here, have ours! What could go wrong..

#219 6 years ago
    Quoted from Deaconblooze:

The southwest has been trying to get a water pipeline from the great lakes. Oh, you're bad at managing your resources? Well here, have ours! What could go wrong..

our crooked leader is trying to sell all the states natural resources as quick as he can...

#220 6 years ago

When I think of all Americans benefitting from “our national resources” I think “yes, travel to the Great Lakes and enjoy their beauty, fishing, and water sports!” not suck them dry to prop up New Mexico and Arizona, etc.

#221 6 years ago

In So Cal, we are working on a plan where people that move here bring their own water, otherwise they can go thirsty.

#222 6 years ago
    Quoted from benheck:

but I don't vote.
    Is that OK?

It pains me anytime I hear any American say this.

#223 6 years ago
    Quoted from RazerX:

It pains me every time I hear this pains an American.

#224 6 years ago

I'm just old and in pain. I do vote though, sometimes. Mostly just to flirt with the old ladies at my polling spot...

#225 6 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

It pains me every time I hear this pains an American.

Was this supposed to mean something?

#226 6 years ago
    Quoted from RazerX:

Was this supposed to mean something?

Yes.

#227 6 years ago

As a "Programmer" I can honestly say I would never work at Stern and I work at one of the most hated companies in America. I can not imagine Stern being competitive in any measure, salary, benefits, facility, work life, perks. Even the themes are mind numbing. They would be better off to just open source their pins, that would probably greatly increase the code.

#228 6 years ago

It doesn't pain me to know somebody else can feel pain by not doing something that as an American is my right not to do.

#229 6 years ago

C8338839-F83B-430C-83EA-C937F2627C18 (resized).jpegC8338839-F83B-430C-83EA-C937F2627C18 (resized).jpeg

BF20B0EB-E7CD-404B-92B2-3874F70F1510 (resized).jpegBF20B0EB-E7CD-404B-92B2-3874F70F1510 (resized).jpeg

#230 6 years ago

Last election I voted for a homeless dude who won a democratic nomination for a congressional seat. Dude literally beat out like 3 or 4 actual candidates whom campaigned. This dude just was smart enough to submit his name.

Here is an actual quote from him post primary win.

"It's kind of hard to manage money when you smoke and you drink beer and hotel rooms," Schrader said. "I'd like to get an apartment."

For his honesty I had to give him a sympathy vote. Probably will be the most interesting vote I ever cast.

#231 6 years ago
    Quoted from davijc02:

Last election I voted for a homeless dude who won a democratic nomination for a congressional seat. Dude literally beat out like 3 or 4 actual candidates whom campaigned. This dude just was smart enough to submit his name.
    Here is an actual quote from him post primary win.
    "It's kind of hard to manage money when you smoke and you drink beer and hotel rooms," Schrader said. "I'd like to get an apartment."
    For his honesty I had to give him a sympathy vote. Probably will be the most interesting vote I ever cast.

Well, at least you're helping RazerX feel better about Americans choosing not to vote.

#232 6 years ago
    Quoted from fosaisu:

Well, at least you're helping Razerx feel better about Americans choosing not to vote.

I’m a man of the people

#233 6 years ago
    Quoted from RazerX:

Blah. We're all biased. Deep down it only "pains you" if the vote I'm throwing away would have been for your side.

#234 6 years ago

If it makes him feel any better, I usually vote in all the pinside polls I come across.

#235 6 years ago
    Quoted from benheck:

Blah. We're all biased. Deep down it only "pains you" if the vote I'm throwing away would have been for your side.

Don't sweat it, what with the Wisconsin gerrymandering your vote for anything other than President is probably meaningless anyway.

#236 6 years ago

It’s important to keep up on current events.

#237 6 years ago
    Quoted from fosaisu:

Don't sweat it, what with the Wisconsin gerrymandering your vote for anything other than President is probably meaningless anyway.

And then the Ruskies swept in and took that Presidential vote away from you!!!

#238 6 years ago
    Quoted from benheck:

You couldn't possibly be more wrong Ben. Attitudes like that are part of the problem, not the solution. I do hate the way the primaries are set up (at least around here) since it forces you to pick a side, but when it comes to the general, everyone that can vote should vote as matter of civic duty regardless if you want to vote for one team exclusively or not. I honestly don't care who you vote for, just get off your duff and vote on election day. If more people took voting seriously maybe we'd have better candidates, less corruption and more than 2 parties to chose from. It genuinely makes me sad that I'm being mocked here because I want people to get out and take part in elections so that we can have our government better represent us. This country could be in a better place if more would take it seriously. It's also one of the best ways you can honor all of the service men and women who lost their lives throughout history defending this right for all of us.

#239 6 years ago

Moderator's comment:

Folks, please keep in mind that discussions on politics are not allowed, and some of these comments are skirting right on the edge.

#240 6 years ago

We prefer to live dangerously

#241 6 years ago

Just wanted to say that I've enjoyed Ben's videos for a long time now from before I was into pinball, so thanks for all the great content (of course this was before I knew about his shocking voting habits!).

Good luck with your film endeavors and hopefully you'll circle around to pinball again sometime in the future.

#242 6 years ago
    Quoted from Darscot:

As a "Programmer" I can honestly say I would never work at Stern and I work at one of the most hated companies in America. I can not imagine Stern being competitive in any measure, salary, benefits, facility, work life, perks. Even the themes are mind numbing. They would be better off to just open source their pins, that would probably greatly increase the code.

I think maybe that's a little harsh? They seem like a fine smaller company to work for. They aren't a silicon valley startup with an in-house chef and nap rooms, but I don't think that's their vibe anyway.

To me a lot of a job satisfaction comes from who I work with. Stern seems to have good people working there, seems like it would be fun.

#243 6 years ago
    Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

I think maybe that's a little harsh? They seem like a fine smaller company to work for. They aren't a silicon valley startup with an in-house chef and nap rooms, but I don't think that's their vibe anyway.
    To me a lot of a job satisfaction comes from who I work with. Stern seems to have good people working there, seems like it would be fun.

To each their own, I don't fault anyone that wants to work there. Just me personally I can't imagine doing Elvira or Munsters. DeadPool or Pulp Fiction might be ok but I just don't see there being any room to do anything interesting. It's just going to be implement this rule set. Personally I would very much enjoy writing the code if I could just do it. At home at my convenience I would happily do it for free. The code itself is would not be hard, the magic of the rules is the hard part.

#244 6 years ago
    Quoted from Darscot:

Just me personally I can't imagine doing Elvira or Munsters.

Sorry....I just couldn't take you seriously after that....

#245 6 years ago
    Quoted from Darscot:

To each their own, I don't fault anyone that wants to work there. Just me personally I can't imagine doing Elvira or Munsters. DeadPool or Pulp Fiction might be ok but I just don't see there being any room to do anything interesting. It's just going to be implement this rule set. Personally I would very much enjoy writing the code if I could just do it. At home at my convenience I would happily do it for free. The code itself is would not be hard, the magic of the rules is the hard part.

Stern sucks, their themes suck, their pay sucks, their benefits suck, their code sucks, their staff members suck, blah, blah, blah...........

You sure know a ton about working for stern for someone that doesn't work for stern.

#246 6 years ago

He had me at-

Quoted from Darscot:

the themes are mind numbing.

#247 6 years ago
    Quoted from jgentry:

Stern sucks, their themes suck, their pay sucks, their benefits suck, their code sucks, their staff members suck, blah, blah, blah...........
    You sure know a ton about working for stern for someone that doesn't work for stern.

I'm talking about me personally, I can not imagine them being competitive when it comes to "good programmers". I was talking about the audio message earlier in the thread. I'm sure they can get programmers but they are not going to compete with the big boys. I'm not faulting anyones personal taste. Just me personally, I could not write code for Iron Maiden, Elvira or the Munster. I just have no interest in the theme and having to debug and test and basically having it on repeat all day, no thanks. Playing a game or pin and writing the code are very different beasts. Writing the code you often have to do the same thing all day with none of the fun.

#248 6 years ago

If you don't vote you don't get a sticker

#249 6 years ago
    Quoted from Darscot:

Just me personally I can't imagine doing Elvira or Munsters. DeadPool or Pulp Fiction might be ok but I just don't see there being any room to do anything interesting.

I think you're looking at it the wrong way. Example: I'm a musician, and back in college, I was the musical director for our A Capella group. We competed in the ICCAs (think: Pitch Perfect movie). Our small group would meet twice a year, and brainstorm songs we wanted to use in competition, and by extension, other performances. I was tasked with transcribing the music to the voice parts, and teaching it to the group. 75% of the time, I really disliked the songs our group would select. It was initially painful to sit there and listen to each song a million times to write my sheet music.

I found quickly though, that while I didn't have any attachment to the music that was selected, I found extreme satisfaction in creating music that would be enjoyed by others. I imagine that pinball programmers feel the same. Not all of them will enjoy all or any of the themes that they're handed, but to be able to create something that you can see other people enjoy for years and years is a fantastic feeling.

#250 6 years ago
    Quoted from Darscot:

Just me personally, I could not write code for Iron Maiden, Elvira or the Munster. I just have no interest in the theme and having to debug and test and basically having it on repeat all day, no thanks. Playing a game or pin and writing the code are very different beasts. Writing the code you often have to do the same thing all day with none of the fun.

That's very much how I felt helping on RZ and ACNC. Nothing against them as artists, just hard to stay interested as a non-fan (and not paid "stupid enough money" to pretend to care)

There are 309 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 7.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/ben-heck-leaving-spooky/page/5 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.