Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 309 posts
  • 133 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by Rascal_H
  • Topic is favorited by 18 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

ben_heck_next_game_whitewood3 (resized).jpg
    ben_heck_next_game_whitewood1 (resized).png
    whatpinsidewants.jpg
    ec1b379d4d82b2106c39583925a405ce472aee95 (resized).jpg
    BF20B0EB-E7CD-404B-92B2-3874F70F1510 (resized).jpeg
    C8338839-F83B-430C-83EA-C937F2627C18 (resized).jpeg
    24n6up (resized).jpg
    download (1) (resized).png
    BenHeckThumbsUpDown (resized).jpg
    giphy.gif
    download (resized).jpg
    There are 309 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 7.
    #51 6 years ago
    Quoted from Apollyon:

God wanted Ben AND Charlie’s souls. Charlie said no.

Ben had no problem with it

#52 6 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

Ben had no problem with it

Do gingers have souls?

#53 6 years ago

Ben is awesome. I wish him nothing but the best for what he does next.

Spooky too !

LTG : )

#54 6 years ago

I wish Ben and Spooky nothing but the best and hopefully their paths will cross again.

#55 6 years ago
    Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

Do gingers have souls?

Have you seen Ed sheeran live? I’m sure that ginger has soul.....maybe there are others too.

Just kidding Ben. Best of luck in your future endeavors.

#56 6 years ago
    Quoted from stevevt:

I heard God was making unreasonable demands on the Bible Adventures license.

The "long distance" calls were killing them!

#57 6 years ago
    Quoted from pin2d:

Just saw this on Twitter from Ben:
    “More news: I'm parting ways with Spooky Pinball due to my 2nd game being delayed beyond my liking and the usual "creative differences". The whitewood I designed may get turned into something by them down the road however.”

Damn! Hope something good comes from this and pinball.
    The more I think I know what is going on with pinball, the more full of shit I know.
    Best to you both.

giphy.gifgiphy.gif

#58 6 years ago
    Quoted from PaulCoff:

Damn! Hope something good comes from this and pinball.
    The more I think I know what is going on with pinball, the more full of shit I know.
    Best to you both.

DP...Really not taking this well.

#59 6 years ago

Hope Ben lands with someone else. He has great ideas.

#60 6 years ago

Original plan: Design my game for 6-8 months, then spend a year on code for its release summer of 2018. (same time I finish my show, not a coincidence)

But then the license stalled last summer and I switched over to helping on Alice Cooper (rules, storyboards, dialog) Came a point where the completion of my game was so far out I just kind of gave up. This is probably how Dennis feels regarding Elvira 3.

Was then going to develop Bible Adventures as my own thing, see where it went... until the deeproot announcement.

Basically, pinball has nothing left for me.

#61 6 years ago
    Quoted from benheck:

Common feeling around here.

#62 6 years ago
    Quoted from benheck:

I'm sorry Ben.

Best wishes on your future endeavors. I hope you find what pleases you.

LTG : )

#63 6 years ago
    Quoted from benheck:

Was then going to develop Bible Adventures as my own thing, see where it went... until the deeproot announcement.

deeproot is full of bluster and hype.

You should keep working on bible adventures. Pretty sure it would sell well and deeproot knows it would be dumb to try and go up against you with the design of a lawyer (LOL)

#64 6 years ago
    Quoted from benheck:

Aw man, sorry to hear you feel like that.

Hope we will still see you at SFGE, even if it's just to drink and goof off.

#65 6 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

deeproot is full of bluster and hype.
    You should keep working on bible adventures. Pretty sure it would sell well and deeproot knows it would be dumb to try and go up against you with the design of a lawyer (LOL)

Pretty sure the last thing he wants is to end up locked in a legal battle - likely result.

#66 6 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

Common feeling around here.

Yeah, pinball has nothing left for me either. Of course, that happened years ago.

But I still have plenty of energy left for pinball!

#67 6 years ago
    Quoted from benheck:

Original plan: Design my game for 6-8 months, then spend a year on code for its release summer of 2018. (same time I finish my show, not a coincidence)
    But then the license stalled last summer and I switched over to helping on Alice Cooper (rules, storyboards, dialog) Came a point where the completion of my game was so far out I just kind of gave up. This is probably how Dennis feels regarding Elvira 3.

Thanks for AMH, some of the best code work ever in my opinion. Best wishes in were ever the next path leads.

#68 6 years ago

Heck he's quitting the show, I'm glad! There's no greater cliche than unrewarded GENIUS!!!

#69 6 years ago

Maybe Ben should take over for Lyman since he’s “retiring”

GL to both u guys

#70 6 years ago

Ben,

Whats the saying, Build it and they will come. Just do bible adventures, and make one great game. Enough people like it, then it can do just like TNA did and evolve into production. I know I'm still wanting one

#71 6 years ago
    Quoted from benheck:

Sad to hear this. Your work is one of the inspirations for my own pinball adventures. Best wishes.

#72 6 years ago

If you want Bible Adventures, come to North Carolina.

#73 6 years ago

If Deeproot is so intent on doing a old testament bible game, then why not do a new testament one? Two different stories and still plenty of violence and gore.

Sounds like a win win to me!

#74 6 years ago
    Quoted from benheck:

Basically, pinball has nothing left for me

That is really hard to read after all you've done for pinball

#75 6 years ago
    Quoted from benheck:

Ben pinball can't ever end, mini pin was going to be a SMASH! Just get away from those clowns and make it a killer fully refined smooth DMD micro game not pegs and shit! All the mechs you designed for the mini pin were state of the art and so well thought out, I was totally fascinated by your engineering there. I honestly could not wait to buy that from you man and hug it and squeeze it till the end of days. lol I'd bet you would sell a ton with a DEDICATED theme, clear coated playfield, mini plastic ramps, mini spinner and all kinds of mini stuff dude!

#76 6 years ago

Was really looking forward to Ben's take on Bible Adventures. AMH is one of the best not because of the theme but because of its design and personality. I totally get the frustration but I still hope he reconsiders at some point.

#77 6 years ago
    Quoted from pin2d:

That is really hard to read after all you've done for pinball

I was listening to a boxer recently who was asked what you had to do to be a world champion. His response was that you have to love it so much that you hate it. All of it because of how much a commitment it is and how questionable the returns are. You love it but it is never totally satisfiying.

#78 6 years ago
    Quoted from benheck:

Ben, Take a break and give it some time and I'm sure you'll find your way doing something you love with pinball again! Some of these new pinball companies will fizzle out after coming to the realization of how much work is actually involved in making pinball machines. And arrogance and threatening to sue anyone that gets your way isn't going to win over customers that can see through the charade.

You're always full of ideas and put in the hard work and time to see things through and make sure that a game is fun and has polished code. AMH is great and I look forward to your next game whenever that time comes. In the meantime hopefully I'll see you out at some local tourney's and other pinball events.

#79 6 years ago

Best of luck @benheck. Please check in with us every now and again.

#80 6 years ago

@benheck,

Your energy and passion for the hobby has been truly amazing to watch from afar over the last several years. From Bill Paxton Pinball, to Lost, to watching you stream Ghost Squad->America's Most Haunted and more! What you have contributed to this hobby is more than 99.99% of us...which is pretty close to your Pinside thumbs up rating and speaks volumes for how you are looked at in the community:

Recharge your batteries and I know the community will welcome you back with gigantic open arms when, and if, you ever decide to return.

As Gary Stern would put it..."Will pinball exist without Ben Heck...yes...but it'll loose a little bit of the fabric of life"

Peace out man.

BenHeckThumbsUpDown (resized).jpgBenHeckThumbsUpDown (resized).jpg

#81 6 years ago

Guys it's not like Ben's dead or anything. Ben, hopefully you will still stick with Pinside. Your comments add a lot.

#82 6 years ago
    Quoted from RyanStl:

Guys it's not like Ben's dead or anything.

Nope. I truly believe there is life after pinball has nothing left to give.

#83 6 years ago
    Quoted from benheck:

Please reconsider this! You can't seriously believe we want DR Fire & Brimstone (or whatever it is) over BH Bible Adventures!?

This might not be your style, but I would even vote for trying a Kickstarter for Bible Adventures. Not exactly a popular path, but with your proven record and reputation, I think many might have a revised attitude (do we need a poll to find out?). An existing manufacturer would do well to pick it up, but if not, I'd have faith you could pull off the contract manufacturer route.

Where's someone with deep pockets? Who was going to bail out Dutch? Opportunity knocking here! Put your money on Ben. Good investment right there!

Noooooooo, don't go.

Best wishes whatever you do!

#85 6 years ago

Thank you Ben for everything you have done for pinball!

#86 6 years ago

Bros never break up on Valentine’s Day!!!

Thanks Ben, best of luck on your next adventure!

#87 6 years ago

Ben may be back someday. Hell, even Steve Ritchie drifted in and out of pinball more than once.

#88 6 years ago

So long @benheck. Don't stay gone too long tho.

#89 6 years ago

I guess I’m confused, why is Spooky not expanding? You gotta get it while the gettin is good... ramp up another production line and put Bens game in production. You gotta keep the talent busy.

BTW fuck deeproot they are so full of shit, they should just shut up until a game is actually produced

WE LOVE YOU benheck

#90 6 years ago
    Quoted from tacshose:

I guess I’m confused, why is Spooky not expanding? You gotta get it while the gettin is good... ramp up another production line and put Bens game in production. You gotta keep the talent busy

A couple of problems with that ...

1/ Bens pinball - the required licence couldn’t be obtained. Can’t make a machine with no licence. Unless you’re a pirate from Michigan.

2/ Charlie wants to keep the operation manageable. He’s on the right track ...
    small, tight workforce, hands on management. Making more machines means more staff, more Factory space, more tools, more overheads ... not necessarily more profits.

rd

#91 6 years ago
    Quoted from rotordave:

1/ Bens pinball - the required licence couldn’t be obtained. Can’t make a machine with no licence. Unless you’re a pirate from Michigan.
    2/ Charlie wants to keep the operation manageable. He’s on the right track ...
    small, tight workforce, hands on management. Making more machines means more staff, more Factory space, more tools, more overheads ... not necessarily more profits.
    rd

1) as Ben said the whitewood is done, so re-theme and move on, lots of good themes out there.

2) I asked KT if I could place a deposit on Alice Cooper in July 2017, it is now Feb 2018 and game not even revealed. Spooky can move a little faster without too much worry I think.

#92 6 years ago
    Quoted from tacshose:

1) as Ben said the whitewood is done, so re-theme and move on, lots of good themes out there.
    2) I asked KT if I could place a deposit on Alice Cooper in July 2017, it is now Feb 2018 and game not even revealed. Spooky can move a little faster without too much worry I think.

Whitewood would be about 50% of the work, I would guess. Needs:
    - theme
    - artwork
    - approvals
    - programming (the big one)
    - testing
    - final approvals

Even if they started tomorrow, it may take 6 months. Ben has a movie to make in Texas, so he won’t be around.

Spooky will be making 400-500 TNAs at the end of the day, plus 500 Alice Coopers. They have enough to do at the moment ... probably 2 years production right there.

rd

#93 6 years ago
    Quoted from rotordave:

rd

Who owns the license for Bible Adventures, the Pope?

#94 6 years ago

What did deeproot do or say?

#95 6 years ago

Love the Youtube show.

Great cast of characters.

Ben 4 Prez!

Legalize weed and pinball.

#96 6 years ago
    Quoted from benheck:

So... what I'm seeing is... Deeproot is now on my ignore list for being a overall d-bag. Gotcha.

I hope benheck is still coming to TPF'18. But that even looks improbable.

#97 6 years ago

Sad to hear Ben, reckon you should just quietly build a homebrew and show it off when it is cool and flippin - maybe one of your dream theme's like 5th Element or your Bible Adventures idea

all the best

#98 6 years ago

" Man's gotta do, what a Man's gotta do!"

#99 6 years ago

Ben,
    In pinball your as good as your last game, i you want attention you have the wrong hobby.
    Do it for your selve or make your work from it.
    But don't espect more or you have the wrong hobby.
    Good luck with your future projects.

#100 6 years ago
    Quoted from Bryan_Kelly:

Sooooo...you're saying the odds of us getting Ben laid at a Benton street dance are still possible?

Oh no! He's escaped the home and off his meds again!! LOL

There are 309 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 7.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/ben-heck-leaving-spooky/page/2?hl=darcangeloel and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.