Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 107 posts
  • 47 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by lpeters82
  • Topic is favorited by 15 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pinballarcadehint.jpg
    tumblr_lhrxrftNIb1qe8u4ho1_250.jpg
    download.jpg
    download (1).jpg
    1_m.jpg
    ben_heck_show_BHZA.jpg
    ben_heck_teensy.jpg

There are 107 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 3.
    #51 6 years ago

I can get some Tungsten balls from McMaster-Carr in time for SFGE. They are laughably expensive though!

#53 6 years ago
    Quoted from benheck:

I can get some Tungsten balls from McMaster-Carr in time for SFGE. They are laughably expensive though!

You'll have some heavy balls though. Beats the microwave method.
    download (1).jpg

#54 6 years ago

Tungsten balls obtained!

"I've got balls of tungsten!"

See some of you soon at Southern Fried.

#55 6 years ago
    Quoted from benheck:

Dedication or madness, its appreciated.

#56 6 years ago
    Quoted from benheck:

I don't know that I've ever worked with tungsten.. Had no idea they were 2-3 times the weight of a steel ball. Expensive ($12 each) compared to 15 cents for a 1/2" steel ball (or $1 for a standard ball), I'd say VERY. Good thing you didn't make it a multiball system

Steel
    http://www.mcmaster.com/#9528k24/=xo5x9o

Tungsten
    http://www.mcmaster.com/#9598k7/=xo5wx6

#57 6 years ago

The Ben Heck Show is some of the best programming on Youtube. (I also enjoy "flea market pickups" videos, so maybe I'm not the best judge...)

The humor is great and the projects are interesting.

#58 6 years ago
    Quoted from thedefog:

To an extent. The speed of the ball will remain the same from the flippers though.

And when you also slow down the flippers?

#59 6 years ago

good job Ben! hopefully the increased weight does good things for playing the small game.
    I have some 22 gram tungsten darts that "look" like theyed be 13-ish, very deceptive until you get used to throwing them.

#60 6 years ago

5/8ths tungston Stewie Pinball $18 at McMaster almost exactly twice the weight! Might be a great Mod

http://www.mcmaster.com/#tungsten-carbide-balls/=xohf73

#61 6 years ago
    Quoted from benheck:

Tungsten balls obtained!
    See some of you soon at Southern Fried.

And you didn't even have to nuke your sack!

#62 6 years ago

Wow, thanks for posting the videos! It cracked me up seeing you wearing a BHZA shirt. How the learner has become the master

#63 6 years ago

Hmm, I wonder if the globalls or whatever they're called could use that ...

#64 6 years ago

very cool project

#65 6 years ago

Super cool. Thanks for this, Ben!

#66 6 years ago

Aurich if the glow balls had tungsten cores they would cost more than the machine they're in.

#67 6 years ago

download.jpg

#68 6 years ago

Just tested it. Tungsten ball makes a big difference! And you can still hit the ramps.

#69 6 years ago
    Quoted from benheck:

Just tested it. Tungsten ball makes a big difference! And you can still hit the ramps.

Video or it didn't happen.

#70 6 years ago

Pure genius, thanks for doing this one for us Ben!

#71 6 years ago

Hey Ben........
    It's hard to tell from the videos how many hours went into this project. Do you have a rough estimate?

#72 6 years ago

glad the tungsten suggestion worked out decent, quick video to show the difference would be really cool to see if you can make the time for doing.

(how is it so many thumbs up for getting the tungsten but zero for the suggesting of it? do I gotta go find me some worms to eat or what?)

#73 6 years ago
    Quoted from thedarkknight77:

Pure genius, thanks for doing this one for us Ben!

Real Genius
    tumblr_lhrxrftNIb1qe8u4ho1_250.jpg

#74 6 years ago

fine then, I take the suggestion back.
    sorry Ben you have to remove the tungsten ball now because some 3 people apparently didnt like the idea.. lmao

#75 6 years ago

Zizzle - Social networking ain't for the wimps.
    Don't take it personal. Good idea; I just think people are fickle.

#76 6 years ago

another plus about the tungsten (crazy price minus aside) is the stuff being SO hard, not likely to get scratched/scuffed and cause faster pf wear. its heavier so theres more friction involved, just less potential for the worn ball sandpaper action. (wax the pf and ball oughtta help)

#77 6 years ago

np Zitt, over a dozen years online now I know what you mean, happens real world too. come up with a great time saving production increasing idea, the supervisor shoots it down then 3-4 months later tries to present it upstairs as his own original thought, pretty common and low.
    it's pretty comical to me, I pointed at my idea that worked and got the thumbs downs for daring to, and got to see who thumbed it down too.. "BINGO, give brainiac a fluffy doll!"
    (Chrightonism yup)

#78 6 years ago

Since we are trying to pat ourselves on the back in here, I suggested the tungsten (or lead) ball to Ben a week before you did zizzle.
    I just did it in person over a beer and he ignored me like he does most of the time, lol.

#79 6 years ago

The launch spring will need beefed up because of it. Had many people ask about kits.

#80 6 years ago
    Quoted from benheck:

Had many people ask about kits.

Add me to the list of people interested in a kit.

#81 6 years ago
    Quoted from benheck:

It would be criminal if you didn't make kits. You would get arrested, and then placed in a cell with Kevin and John. You don't want that, do you? Better build kits, just to be safe.

#82 6 years ago
    Quoted from benheck:

Seriously, do it. Make up a kit (etched pcb each person has to solder themselves, display, basic framework code, shooter rod, flipper mechs, trough assembly), make the 3d printed parts and a basic playfield layout open source files so everyone can make their own components, offer it at a reasonable price (2-3 times the cost of parts), and pocket the cash every time you sell a kit for the hard work you put into it (even though it was for the ben heck show).

#83 6 years ago
    Quoted from benheck:

The launch spring will need beefed up because of it. Had many people ask about kits.

How much extra to have you come over and assemble it?

#84 6 years ago

yes please on a kit with code already done, could be cool all the different layouts people could do....

I can print my own parts but happy either way.

#85 6 years ago

Different art packages where you could select them would be cool too. Or people could make their own. I'd put one on my desk at work.

2 weeks later
    #86 6 years ago

Not sure if anyone else noticed, but it looks like the next Pinball Arcade Table is Ben's Super Shuttle Teensy Pinball... or well that's my best guess. That or a custom [email protected] vs TBHS RapBattle. Finger's crossed!

pinballarcadehint.jpg

#87 6 years ago

I'd build it from a kit, but mostly because I miss my Space Shuttle. :\

#88 6 years ago

I also miss the actual Space Shuttle. RIP old school kick-ass NASA days.

1 week later
    #89 6 years ago
    Quoted from VacFink:

Not sure if anyone else noticed, but it looks like the next Pinball Arcade Table is Ben's Super Shuttle Teensy Pinball... or well that's my best guess. That or a custom [email protected] vs TBHS RapBattle. Finger's crossed!
    pinballarcadehint.jpg

Space Station maybe?

#91 6 years ago

If anyone is going to the Detroit Maker Faire in Dearborne this weekend we will have the Super Space Shuttle at the element14 booth.

Rebuilt the flippers last weekend. I pwm'd them as low as I could to slow down the action.

4 months later
    #92 6 years ago
    Quoted from Aurich:

It would be criminal if you didn't make kits. You would get arrested, and then placed in a cell with Kevin and John. You don't want that, do you? Better build kits, just to be safe.

Hey Ben, has there been any further thought put into building kits?

I'd really like a fun project like this to build with my daughter. I'd be a great teaching tool and an even better toy.

2 weeks later
    #93 5 years ago
    Quoted from benheck:

Remember, "A pinball kit would be the dumbest idea in the history of dumb ideas."

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/wrath-of-olympus-original-custom-pinball-development/page/30#post-2731782

--Kevin

8 months later
    #94 5 years ago

Instead of shipping a kit with all the parts needed what if you get all the schematics and a parts list and you do it yourself that way.

3 months later
    #95 4 years ago

Vote for Ben heck to revisit this project and hopefully build a kit.

Www.element14.com/tbhs

There's a poll and you can vote for their next long term build project.

#96 4 years ago
    Quoted from Luckydogg420:

Vote for Ben heck to revisit this project and hopefully build a kit.
    http://Www.element14.com/tbhs
    There's a poll and you can vote for their next long term build project.

I cant seem to vote? tried in both chrome and ie. no dice...

#97 4 years ago

You need to register an account to vote.

#99 4 years ago
    Quoted from Luckydogg420:

You need to register an account to vote.

thanks. Ill vote later.

May want to start a whole new thread to get more people to vote? I think we could likely rally the pinball community to pump the vote.

1 month later
    #100 4 years ago

no surprise, mini pinball won the contest:

There are 107 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 3.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside