Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 107 posts
  • 47 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by lpeters82
  • Topic is favorited by 15 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pinballarcadehint.jpg
    tumblr_lhrxrftNIb1qe8u4ho1_250.jpg
    download.jpg
    download (1).jpg
    1_m.jpg
    ben_heck_show_BHZA.jpg
    ben_heck_teensy.jpg

There are 107 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.
    #2 6 years ago

Looks like fun, I'm following the progress.

#3 6 years ago

Or take the stewie mini playfield from FG and make it larger with more toys.

-c

#4 6 years ago

F-you to Zizzle, perhaps? Very appropriately timed

Thumbs up to Ben!

#5 6 years ago

In for updates. I got a spot.

#6 6 years ago

Keeping an eye on this

#7 6 years ago

very cool. well done mr. heck

#8 6 years ago

only watched to the part about MOSFETs for controlling coils, not quite understanding why to not use the inexpensive banks of 8 optical relays available for arduino type stuff. they trigger with low current 3v, being optically isolated no need for flyback diodes if I'm not mistaken.

there are also a lot of compact 12v solenoid coils available Ebay or Amazon, some should be plenty strong to kick a 2/3 to 3/4" steel ball around.. but be wary of the solenoid descriptions I dont think sellers quite understand the difference of "push" vs "pull".. look out!

for a small project like this, old ideas from sentinel-wonderWizard-Brunswick might be good to utilize, pop bumpers had metal top rings and metal rings around the bases for the ball to be the active part of the switch, contact = triggered = simplification of wiring and mechanisms.
    (some total toy machines use the ball too but not as nicely, spring bump-caps suk!)

sentinel also used one solenoid to run 2 popcaps but I'm not very thrilled about that, it can be a source of mechanical failure but "paper clip" switches behind rubber was simple-cool.

cute idea but 1/4 scale a bit too small, 2/3 length and width would be a bit smaller than a zizzle, or about the size of a large suitcase which could be great for packing it into if the hinges were on an end instead of bottom like most suitcases. might even be enough length to put clip on legs in a package that size too. not dissin it, I do like the idea, have a couple TOMY toy machines that were brilliantly designed running everything from one little motor (little internal mechanical nightmares when something goes wrong, been there!).

#9 6 years ago

I don't like the idea of batteries. I wish someone would make a half scale pinball machine and use tungsten balls half size which would weigh nearly the same as a normal pinball and have similar physics due to the density.

#10 6 years ago

DigitalReadFast() is your friend Ben!

#11 6 years ago

1/2 scale pinball... It's called a iPad lol
    Kidding, can't wait to see

#12 6 years ago

What is the theme??

Little Critters, perhaps?

#13 6 years ago

Shooting. Fish in a barrel. May be pretty cool theme too.

Nice project you make things look so easy.

#14 6 years ago

Anyone remember seeing a thread about a 1/2 scale pinball machine with real flippers/solenoids using standard balls. The video was posted prob 3 years ago so this is a long shot. The machine was designed by a design studio in UK. It was creepy/horror theme. Trying to find it, but no luck.

#15 6 years ago

Why does the playfield look like an evil Easter bunny?

#16 6 years ago

Cabin Fever was a smaller one-off pinball. But not a horror theme. Bears in the woods.

http://ipdb.org/showpic.pl?id=5186&picno=33268

#17 6 years ago
    Quoted from Jean-Luc-Picard:

Anyone remember seeing a thread about a 1/2 scale pinball machine with real flippers/solenoids using standard balls. The video was posted prob 3 years ago so this is a long shot. The machine was designed by a design studio in UK. It was creepy/horror theme. Trying to find it, but no luck.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/disaster-surrealism-homebrewed-horror-from-spain

#18 6 years ago

YES!!! that is it... When I first saw that I really wanted to make my own machine. With me, I did not want a full size machine but rather one that I could store UNDER one of my real machines. And I can just whip it out when I wanna play it and then store it when I am done. I thought they had solenoid flippers, I guess just push buttons. I think these mini form factors pins could be a hit. Especially for the collectors that have ran out of room. Easy to store these things and bring them places. For example, a vacation and you just GOTA have your pinball.

#20 6 years ago
    Quoted from pinmanguy:

That is awesome, I'd buy one of those.

Only issue is, the cost factor. Just because it is half the size, wont be exactly half the price. Still has a lot going on, assuming everything is built to the level of detail as a full size. Same solenoids, same DMD etc. But it would be really easy to ship, so distribution would be a dream.

#21 6 years ago

I always thought that The Pin would have been great for Stern at a 2k Price point.
    A toy yes but not deep pockets toy.
    Will watch this but batteries are a bad idea IMO but I'm not a pinball manufacturer like Ben is.

#22 6 years ago
    Quoted from zizzlemeplease:

not quite understanding why to not use the inexpensive banks of 8 optical relays available for arduino type stuff. they trigger with low current 3v, being optically isolated no need for flyback diodes if I'm not mistaken.

you are mistaken. 'optical relays' are not magic, they actually have scrs, bipolars or fets in them and require in the region of a million times more holding current than driving a mosfet directly cause you've got to power the internal led. A mosfet can easily be triggered by 3V too.
    Also, because they have the same fet or whatever switching element, that could equally likely be destroyed without a flyback diode.

anyway, this is a quick and dirty build with bits to hand.

#23 6 years ago

If that was $500 i think a lot of people would buy it. Maybe even $1000.

#24 6 years ago

I have a chopped up entertainment center. brb.

#26 6 years ago

I like this. This is the much-needed opposite of the JPOP thread.

#27 6 years ago

https://www.dropbox.com/s/d7lrevhb2lqldie/bhs_previewn.mp4?dl=0

Ben also wore his BHZA tshirt for a short period during his recent 16bit console show:

ben_heck_show_BHZA.jpg

#28 6 years ago

Oooh, that's looking sweet

#29 6 years ago
    Quoted from toyotaboy:

Ben also wore his BHZA tshirt for a short period during his recent 16bit console show

I noticed this too and raised my fist in nerd rage at not being able to find respite from that mess.

#31 6 years ago

I enjoyed this build on Ben's show. I think its still possible without the laser cutter, but probably not without a 3D printer. I'm due for one, just waiting for the larger simple metal Printrbot to come down a bit in price, or my saving to go up enough to meet it without dipping into my pinball pockets.

I think you could make a pretty simple pop bumper by printing an inverted cone with a ridge on top, it just needs to pull down and push the ball randomly and reset quickly, that could be done with a spring.

#32 6 years ago

I'm starting to think pinballmakers.com needs a "helpful videos" subsection for videos such as these.

#33 6 years ago

What a cool project. Most of what Ben talks about electronics wise goes right over my head, but I'm really glad that he explains each aspect of the projects to pull the different disciplines together.

#34 6 years ago

who here wouldn't love it if Ben made kits to build their own? Imagine how many more mini-tournaments (excuse the pun) pinball clubs could have if each member could toss a 1/2 scale pinball (or a few) in the back of their vehicle and setup a line of custom pinball machines on some portable tables.

I like the part where he picks up the entire cabinet to nudge the ball

I wonder if he got the door actuator idea from the video I did 4-1/2 years ago?

#35 6 years ago

Ben, you are a treasure to the pinball community.

#36 6 years ago

I would love a kit to build this. Hoping Ben brings this to SFGE this weekend, though I know it isn't likely - I would love to see it in person.

#37 6 years ago

The crazy thing with this scale is the speed, it is almost not playable. 3/4 would probably be somewhat more playable, like zizzle.

#38 6 years ago

It is tough to play. I am bringing it to SFGE.

Wish I had a lead ball in there.

#39 6 years ago
    Quoted from benheck:

Woo-Hoo!!! Awesome news Ben and looking forward to meeting you. Now don't forget to bring your half-size pin kits

#40 6 years ago
    Quoted from benheck:

Throw some coil dust on the PF, that'll slow it down.

#41 6 years ago

So cool. $500 production run? I'd be in for the LE.

#42 6 years ago

If you reduce the playfield angle to something small like 1 degree, would that not slow down the ball movements?

#43 6 years ago
    Quoted from DDDwingmaster:

If you reduce the playfield angle to something small like 1 degree, would that not slow down the ball movements?

To an extent. The speed of the ball will remain the same from the flippers though. I only know this from my childhood experience with my crappy little Black Knight toy.
    1_m.jpg

#44 6 years ago

I saw "Ben Heck" and "teensy" and thought this thread was about something else altogether.

#45 6 years ago
    Quoted from benheck:

Don't you have some old Lead solder floating around your lab?
    3D Print a ball shape and cast you some SOLDER pinballs.

#46 6 years ago
    Quoted from toyotaboy:

who here wouldn't love it if Ben made kits to build their own?

This. Some pinball parts retailers could easily just have a set of parts package available(discount or no discount) specifically for DIYers. If it had to be under a pin name in the database, just call it "DIY pinball" or a category of "generic parts"(non-proprietary to a specific machine).

#47 6 years ago
    Quoted from s1500:

This. Some pinball parts retailers could easily just have a set of parts package available(discount or no discount) specifically for DIYers. If it had to be under a pin name in the database, just call it "DIY pinball" or a category of "generic parts"(non-proprietary to a specific machine).

There were some great discussions along these lines while at the NW Pinball Show this year. I have wanted this for a looooong time.

Aaron
    FAST Pinball

#48 6 years ago
    Quoted from shimoda:

I would love a kit to build this.

Why not print all the parts yourself on a 3D printer?
    That is what I am doing at the moment. Designing and printing all parts for a full-size pinball machine. OK, it does cost 'some' time to design the parts, but then I can print as many as I need.
    And somewhere in the future I also going to make a reduced size version, but Ben was there first!

#49 6 years ago

possible a tungsten ball available someplace? -very- heavy and not leave traces of itself everywhere as lead might. those flipper actuators are HUGE, I've been playing with a bunch of the smaller solenoids available amazon/ebay, about 1 to 1.5" size total, kicks a 9/16 ball about 30" up a 3.5-4" incline (bad rough surface btw). some slightly smaller sol's could surface mount under slingshots, be hearts for mini pop bumpers etc.
    no complaints, its cute, but could be much more pinball-y.

a little spendy, about 0.7" diameter, ebay.com link: NEW Ball O Matic Tungsten Carbide Ball Grade 25 Buy it now 1ball FREE SHIPPING

#50 6 years ago
    Quoted from zizzlemeplease:

possible a tungsten ball available someplace?

How about make the game a real-life challenge? What about mercury as a ball, so you can only play the game in a -40F degree freezer or else the ball melts on the PF. And you can put a wizard mode in where a door opens on the PF and the heat turns up so the mercury combines with silver and make an amalgam ball to win the game. Call it "escape from the freezer". The only pin where you will die if you don't win in time.

There are 107 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside