(Topic ID: 337519)

Beltmann-NAVL shipping damage court case verdict. BEWARE!

By jgelman

10 months ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 66 posts
  • 31 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 months ago by jgelman
  • Topic is favorited by 5 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_6826 (resized).jpeg
    After verdict (resized).png
    letter CRST (resized).png
    Detail-4a (resized).jpg
    Detail-1 (resized).jpg
    Claim Settlement determination (resized).png
    There are 66 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 10 months ago

Part 1

As a collector for around 20 years, I have shipped machines before using Michelle from Bellmann. Only prior problem was when I took off the day at work to be available during their 8 hour window only to have them re-schedule the day prior. I sold a number of my machines leaving me with 2 that were indefinitely loaned to family and 1 keeper. That was Aquarius as that was the machine I played as a kid. My first Aquarius was a "players"game". I then had the opportunity to locally obtain what was likely the only truly HUO Aquarius in existence. I have never seen any EM Wedgehead in that original condition. The owner back in 2007 would only part with it for $10,000. I paid that, which was more than I ever paid for a machine before or since. Over time, the inserts got cupped, and after getting advice and reviewing options, I elected to pay to have it shipped to Timme, who I consider the best EM restoration guy in the USA, now semi-retired from restoration. He had the skill to remove the original inserts flatten them and replace them without damage to the pristine original playfield.

The shipping fee from Beltmann was around $500 and I declared the value at $10,000 for insurance. There was an issue with the shippers coming out when I was available. I was able to confirm that I could have it shipped with legs off or on, and Timme preferred off. Bellmann wanted it unwrapped so they could wrap on pickup. I explained that when they could not be available when I had taken off work (as happened once before), I could leave the machine ready for pickup in my detached garage (just like for the KOD and Kings and Queens I sold not that long ago with Beltmann shipping).

As I was at work, I got a call from my home that they sent 1 guy, no pallet, no pallet jack, no pallet. He asked my 94yo mother in law's caregiver to help him, and he apparently dragged it and loaded it on my pinball dolly (not good for outdoor use) and took it to the curb and had the caregiver bring the legs (which were legs to my Funhouse) where he tried to put them on before loading it up. No wrapping. I guess they wrapped it when it arrived at their terminal.

When it got to the destination, I was shown pictures with damage to the bottom and 1 side of the cabinet with cracking. I added a couple of pictures. The crack along the side of the cabinet extending front to back did not show up well on the picture so I did not upload it. It could be glued for little money to preserve structural integrity, and still you see the crack on the side, or total cabinet restoration where someone else would be the one to do that.

I filed a claim with pictures. My pristine machine was no longer pristine as far as the cabinet. After a long delay of months with no response, I sent an email and was told all claims are handled in the order received. After I inquired 6 months after that, I was given the following (see attached).

I will follow with part 2.

Maybe some of you would "understand their position in this matter"

Claim Settlement determination (resized).pngClaim Settlement determination (resized).pngDetail-1 (resized).jpgDetail-1 (resized).jpgDetail-4a (resized).jpgDetail-4a (resized).jpg
    #2 10 months ago

Received my first damaged machine from Beltman. Definitely not the A team. They just wanted to drop it on the lawn and leave. Had to show them the other games Beltman had delivered giving them no reason not to bring it inside.

Had to help them given they really weren’t into doing their job.

Game arrived with a bent leg, no other damage.

Tipped them $40 for the inconvenience I may have caused and they returned the favor by leaving their Wendy’s garbage on the ground before leaving.

Guess I got lucky!

#3 10 months ago

So do you have a copy of the shipping documents and bill of landing? Do the documents identify the damage shown in the photos? Also did the person on the receiving end inspect and note the damage on the bill of landing? If no to the above then you will have no recourse.

#4 10 months ago

This is some first rate bullshit.

#5 10 months ago

Just the "sent one guy, no pallet, no pallet jack, asked - insert anyone - here to help him is all I needed to hear. Absolutely no way they continue if that's me, gtfo my property, never return, I'll do anything but that. Holy shit.

#6 10 months ago

"So do you have a copy of the shipping documents and bill of landing? Do the documents identify the damage shown in the photos? Also did the person on the receiving end inspect and note the damage on the bill of landing? If no to the above then you will have no recourse."

Well.... so far, it could be "he said, she said." Perhaps there was existing damage, and I was trying to get money out of Beltmann that I did not deserve... so.. part 2.

After exhausting my options with Beltmann, I went to Small Claims court, and paid the filing fee and for service via the Agent. I lost out because I spelled Beltman Integrated Logistics "Integraded". My bad. Got to get it right. Well, second time did not work also because I tried to serve Beltman Integrated Logistics, the name on the correspondence when I arranged the shipping. There is no such corporation listed in the state I live. When I inquired how they could do business in California with no listing, I received the attached correspondence from the "Senior Vice President of Operations". see attached. I guess Beltmann Integrated Logistics and do business as Beltmann Group.

It was suggested that Beltmann is not repsonsible. It should be "CRST" even though I did business with Beltmann.

So.... I paid extra to serve both. Interesting, a guy from Beltmann showed up saying he was representing both Beltmann and CRST. If it were true that CRST were solely responsible, I do not get how or why someone from Beltmann would not just show up to only represent Beltmann to testify to try to prove Beltmann should not have been named!

letter CRST (resized).pngletter CRST (resized).png
    #7 10 months ago

The verdict was in my favor. Shortly after that, I sent Michelle and the Vice President of Operations the attached email.

Do you think they appealed?

After verdict (resized).pngAfter verdict (resized).png
    #8 10 months ago

After reading these stories I consider myself extremely lucky with the few machines i have received with Beltmann. it's a crapshoot with the big truckers especially since they sub out the first and last few miles to local carriers with little accountability.

I also assumed that if a machine gets damaged in transit it will also be a longshot to get the trucker to remedy their damage.

While I haven't had a bad experience, I made a decision a few years ago to only buy what I can pick up with my own pickup. I felt I had rolled the dice enough times and it was just a matter of time before an incident like yours.

Very sorry to hear about your experience.

#9 10 months ago

Great that they ruled in your favor. Before I ship a game I take pictures and a video going through the machine, showing all areas, during the video I do a voice over giving the date, who I was shipping it with, etc.

Haven't had anything go wrong yet so it seems like overkill, but if I ever end up in a situation like yours I want my ass covered every which way I can.

Sucks they made you jump through so many hoops.

#10 10 months ago

All this aside...I wonder how long until Beltmann announces they are no longer serving the pinball-moving market?
    Any business is constantly weighing the benefits of taking business versus the PITA of taking business.

I'm not taking sides in your situation, but I do question why you would go so far as to post it publicly.

If it were me, I would have refused to let anyone pick up a one-of-a-kind machine without me being there in person. Even if you were stood up the first day, you could/should have made yourself present for the second day. I would have been there and taken photos and - if I thought the guy who showed up was inept - woulda refused to let them take it. Unless you are a heart surgeon who was operating on a 6 year old that day...you shoulda missed work.

Whether any of us like it or not, we are living in a country that is in crisis...that means, among other things, the jamokes who are gonna show up to handle shipping might just not be Harvard graduates. More like Sing Sing graduates. If you think it's easy to run a freight business, think again. Employees, taxes, regulations....I wouldn't touch it for $600.

Want premium service? Pay for it. I'm more than willing to bet if you had looked harder, you could have found two very competent guys who would have showed up on time, to the minute, and personally treated your machine with the greatest of care. The only catch is you would have paid around $30,000 for that.

#11 10 months ago
    Quoted from GregCon:

Whether any of us like it or not, we are living in a country that is in crisis...that means, among other things, the jamokes who are gonna show up to handle shipping might just not be Harvard graduates. More like Sing Sing graduates. If you think it's easy to run a freight business, think again. Employees, taxes, regulations....I wouldn't touch it for $600.

Want premium service? Pay for it. I'm more than willing to bet if you had looked harder, you could have found two very competent guys who would have showed up on time, to the minute, and personally treated your machine with the greatest of care. The only catch is you would have paid around $30,000 for that.

I don't think you should have to pay extra to get stuff shipped without damaging it. The bare minimum of shipping anything should be:

1) Get it to where it is supposed to be going.
    2) Don't damage it.

If a company can't accomplish that, then they shouldn't be doing business. It isn't a pinball specific thing to expect.

On the other hand, shit happens. That's why you should pay for insurance, which was done in this case. Having to go to court blows though. I think the insurer in this case just hoped the customer would go away.

#12 10 months ago

My first pinball purchase a few years back was delivered by Beltmann and I had a very similar experience. When they delivered it it was wrapped. I asked if I should unwrap and plug it in to verify it works before they left. They just said "no, you're good... if there are issues just contact us within 24 hours." Find out after they left that they damaged the underside of the machine. When I contacted them they said "We have no such 24 hour policy. You should have inspected before the delivery guys left. You signed the delivery sheet and we're not liable." Debate ensues from there. We swapped pictures from the seller and the guys that picked it up. Based on pictures "they" took and shared with me from pickup looked like whatever jack they used to lift it up and onto the truck was lifting it up from the center of the underside of the machine and not the load-bearing sides. Ultimately they denied my claim.

Thankfully I used my Chase credit card for the payment to Beltmann. Not sure if they disputed on my behalf, withheld payment, or whatever, but ultimately I got my payment back from Chase and I never ended up paying for the shipment. I was able to use that cost to repair the button of the machine.

That was my first and last experience with Beltmann, and I will never use them again.

#13 10 months ago

"I'm not taking sides in your situation, but I do question why you would go so far as to post it publicly.
    If it were me, I would have refused to let anyone pick up a one-of-a-kind machine without me being there in person. Even if you were stood up the first day, you could/should have made yourself present for the second day. I would have been there and taken photos and - if I thought the guy who showed up was inept - woulda refused to let them take it. Unless you are a heart surgeon who was operating on a 6 year old that day...you shoulda missed work."

THEY CHOSE NOT TO APPEAL. Therefore, this case (22IWSC01649) is not a "he said, she said". There was a VERDICT and it was stated in the judgement that the plaintiff ADMITTED they damaged my machine, contrary to what they said in writing in denying my claim where they would not have to pay a penny without me taking legal action.

I am not a heart surgeon. However, yes, I am a surgeon and will be doing 9 hours of surgery on Memorial Day tomorrow. I do not know what it is like to work only 40 hours a week. It is a big deal for me to take time off work, and I can only do that so often. I do take off work for shipping, but I can't keep doing it. I actually would have had to cancel a surgery to miss work the following day, although the patient was not a 6 year old boy.

Why do I post this? Well, I have zero history of drama on this forum or when RGP was more of the active forum. I did not post about this until AFTER there was a verdict and after Beltmann chose to not appeal so there would be no issue of sides of the story.

I posted it so you would all be aware of what can happen when you ship with Beltmann and something goes wrong. I personally think they do not deserve our business and it would be fair for their business to suffer when they treat people this way. However, others may not care or have this thread affect their shipping decision making.

I also posted this to encourage others to perhaps suggest better alternatives to Beltmann-NAVL if that is possible. I am not sure how to find guys who will do a good job for $30,000 (I do understand the point of what the poster was suggesting). I was not trying to be cheap when I chose Beltmann. I did not ask for a lower price. I did not fail to disclose value to get a lower rate. If there is a better alternative, perhaps if you are aware of that alternative, you can post suggestions.

For many years I always thought Beltmann was the go-to shipper for Pinball machines. I have used them in the past. However, you really find out about the character of a company when something goes wrong, and more importantly, how they treat you after they screw up.

#14 10 months ago

Unfortunately it may come to a point where all games are required be crated. Even that won't stop a fork from from entering...

#15 10 months ago
    Quoted from slizzap:

They just said "no, you're good... if there are issues just contact us within 24 hours."

And that's one of the problems. The guys who deliver your machine are most likely subcontracted by large truckers like Beltmann and have no idea of Beltmann policy. That local trucker may truly have a 24 hour window although the general policy of most truckers is to inspect the delivery and sign off if no damage.

#16 10 months ago

I've heard this from a car dealer: when a shipping company starts up, they usually do a good job and care a great deal about their customers while they are getting established. As the years go by, quality goes down as the company looks to cut costs everywhere and the shipping service suffers to the point where it finally becomes unusable. Then the cycle repeats.

#17 10 months ago
    Quoted from jgelman:

THEY CHOSE NOT TO APPEAL. Therefore, this case (22IWSC01649) is not a "he said, she said". There was a VERDICT and it was stated in the judgement that the plaintiff ADMITTED they damaged my machine, contrary to what they said in writing in denying my claim where they would not have to pay a penny without me taking legal action.

Good luck collecting on your verdict.
    This all sucks and unfortunately getting a verdict probably won't help much.

#18 10 months ago
    Quoted from jgelman:

Part 1
    As a collector for around 20 years, I have shipped machines before using Michelle from Bellmann. Only prior problem was when I took off the day at work to be available during their 8 hour window only to have them re-schedule the day prior. I sold a number of my machines leaving me with 2 that were indefinitely loaned to family and 1 keeper. That was Aquarius as that was the machine I played as a kid. My first Aquarius was a "players"game". I then had the opportunity to locally obtain what was likely the only truly HUO Aquarius in existence. I have never seen any EM Wedgehead in that original condition. The owner back in 2007 would only part with it for $10,000. I paid that, which was more than I ever paid for a machine before or since. Over time, the inserts got cupped, and after getting advice and reviewing options, I elected to pay to have it shipped to Timme, who I consider the best EM restoration guy in the USA, now semi-retired from restoration. He had the skill to remove the original inserts flatten them and replace them without damage to the pristine original playfield.
    The shipping fee from Beltmann was around $500 and I declared the value at $10,000 for insurance. There was an issue with the shippers coming out when I was available. I was able to confirm that I could have it shipped with legs off or on, and Timme preferred off. Bellmann wanted it unwrapped so they could wrap on pickup. I explained that when they could not be available when I had taken off work (as happened once before), I could leave the machine ready for pickup in my detached garage (just like for the KOD and Kings and Queens I sold not that long ago with Beltmann shipping).
    As I was at work, I got a call from my home that they sent 1 guy, no pallet, no pallet jack, no pallet. He asked my 94yo mother in law's caregiver to help him, and he apparently dragged it and loaded it on my pinball dolly (not good for outdoor use) and took it to the curb and had the caregiver bring the legs (which were legs to my Funhouse) where he tried to put them on before loading it up. No wrapping. I guess they wrapped it when it arrived at their terminal.
    When it got to the destination, I was shown pictures with damage to the bottom and 1 side of the cabinet with cracking. I added a couple of pictures. The crack along the side of the cabinet extending front to back did not show up well on the picture so I did not upload it. It could be glued for little money to preserve structural integrity, and still you see the crack on the side, or total cabinet restoration where someone else would be the one to do that.
    I filed a claim with pictures. My pristine machine was no longer pristine as far as the cabinet. After a long delay of months with no response, I sent an email and was told all claims are handled in the order received. After I inquired 6 months after that, I was given the following (see attached).
    I will follow with part 2.
    Maybe some of you would "understand their position in this matter"[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Is this the machine you wrote me about looking for an estimate?
    Was any of the info I provided you included in your claim?

#19 10 months ago

"Good luck collecting on your verdict."

They sent the check after they chose to not appeal. It is not a problem getting payment from businesses with assets. They do not want to have to go back to court and have to undergo a "Debtor's examination".

I do not think the amount "made me whole" as very little was allowed for diminished value relative to what I paid for the machine (one could say I overpaid) and since I had not shipped the cabinet for replacement and repainting, I was only given the amount for the gluing for the repair. What should be the amount of compensation is very much subject to opinion but the point is they damaged my machine through negligence, and offered nothing.

Exactly how could they expect to wrap and move an EM machine with 1 guy no pallet and no pallet jack!

#20 10 months ago

Mind if I ask why you are goading them (almost begging them) to appeal the decision? Why wouldn't you let the 30 days go and then look to enforce your judgment? Picking or instigating a fight just makes more work and drama for yourself.

It is not uncommon for people to subcontract and then ultimately the subcontractor (responsible for the damage etc) to hire the lawyer and effectively defend all the parties as they are ultimately the one that will (or won't) pay as the case may be. Multiple lawyers are unnecessary and expensive if everyone's interests are aligned and if there can only be one payout and one party paying it.

All that said - I hope you get the money to fix your machine and I hope it gets fixed to your satisfaction.

#21 10 months ago

Chris, yes this was the machine. The judge allowed around $1,550 for diminished value (I paid 10k in 2007 and insured it for 10k) and they allowed $200 for the glue-clamping. A inside member who is local who does restoration saw the machine in person and provided a written statement that the diminished value was more than what you suggested, and the judge went with the lower amount.

I do believe it is very hard to determine diminished value of a one of a kind machine. To me it was worth 10k, but for that particular machine I was the right buyer. I valued the machine so much I paid $1,000 to Beltmann for shipping both ways in addition to the $ for the cupping work. That is more than many pay for a typical wedge head. To me the diminished value was considerable.

Of course it would have been best if they would not have sent 1 guy to drag the machine, and then it would not have been an issue.

The time this required was considerable, and that time was my loss - the emails, the serving repeatedly, preparing for court, going to court etc. I did not come out ahead.

I know some would not have taken the time with the associated indirect costs to pursue this, and if some low claim settlement, I would have perhaps let it go. However, they had the nerve to say it was my damage and offer zero.

#22 10 months ago

I quit using Beltmann and only buy from people who can pallet/wrap leaving me other options for transport. They create more problems than they solve and are expensive and slow while doing it.

#23 10 months ago
    Quoted from jgelman:

Chris, yes this was the machine. The judge allowed around $1,550 for diminished value (I paid 10k in 2007 and insured it for 10k) and they allowed $200 for the glue-clamping. A inside member who is local who does restoration saw the machine in person and provided a written statement that the diminished value was more than what you suggested, and the judge went with the lower amount.
    I do believe it is very hard to determine diminished value of a one of a kind machine. To me it was worth 10k, but for that particular machine I was the right buyer. I valued the machine so much I paid $1,000 to Beltmann for shipping both ways in addition to the $ for the cupping work. That is more than many pay for a typical wedge head. To me the diminished value was considerable.
    Of course it would have been best if they would not have sent 1 guy to drag the machine, and then it would not have been an issue.
    The time this required was considerable, and that time was my loss - the emails, the serving repeatedly, preparing for court, going to court etc. I did not come out ahead.
    I know some would not have taken the time with the associated indirect costs to pursue this, and if some low claim settlement, I would have perhaps let it go. However, they had the nerve to say it was my damage and offer zero.

These types of scenarios are exactly why I generally refuse to get involved in shipping damage estimates or claims.

#24 10 months ago
    Quoted from paul_8788:

I don't think you should have to pay extra to get stuff shipped without damaging it. The bare minimum of shipping anything should be:
    2) Don't damage it.

Agreed 100%.

#25 10 months ago

I agree you should be able to hire a service and have it performed properly. But as I noted, this country is in crisis. Poor performance is becoming the norm. It's everywhere and it's not getting better.

I don't mean to be a dick...but I will also point out that each year a staggering number of people suffer death and disfigurement as a result of medical malpractice. So even in your own industry, there is human failing.

Shippers? My good friend has been a UPS driver 31 years. The stories he can tell...and guess what? The official UPS internal policy for ANY claim is to deny it. They will only begin reviewing a claim if it has been appealed. Think of all the old ladies who get told to piss off
    ...and do....just because they don't know any better.

#26 10 months ago
    Quoted from jgelman:

They sent the check after they chose to not appeal.

Wow. Nice!
    I figured they would try ignoring you for a while.

#27 10 months ago

This was a bit much. The idea they would send 1 guy no pallet no pallet jack to pick up a valuable machine insured for $10,000 is irresponsible. Making it worse was the "shipping professional" actually approaching my 94yo mother-in-law's care giver to help him move the machine and be asked to go get the legs and my wrenches from my garage to put them on to help him with the process of getting it on the truck after my pinball dolly was used before and/or after the machine was dragged a bit.

Worse yet was for them to then have me to through a claims process of almost a year only to then tell me that they concluded the damage was pre-existing as though they could not imagine that the above shipping method could have possibly caused the damage. Instead of making it right, they created a situation where I would get absolutely no compensation, not even a discount on the $1,000 I paid for 2 way shipping without small claims court and all that entailed.

It is my hope that perhaps someone would be able to post on this thread examples of options better than Beltmann so those who ship machines (many of you I presume) would be perhaps aware of alternatives, and hopefully not have a similar experience.

#28 10 months ago

Could you not get reimbursed for your time in preparing all the documentation for the claim?

#29 10 months ago

Quoted from paul_8788:I don't think you should have to pay extra to get stuff shipped without damaging it. The bare minimum of shipping anything should be:
    2) Don't damage it.
    If a company can't accomplish that, then they shouldn't be doing business. It isn't a pinball specific thing to expect.

[Redacted for length]

You're absolutely 100% correct.

And people suck.

Frankly though once they have your money, they have you over a barrel. Bend over and take it.

This goes for most service companies these days.

#31 10 months ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

I've heard this from a car dealer: when a shipping company starts up, they usually do a good job and care a great deal about their customers while they are getting established. As the years go by, quality goes down as the company looks to cut costs everywhere and the shipping service suffers to the point where it finally becomes unusable. Then the cycle repeats.

It doesn't help that the shipping/freight industry is absolutely ruthless with beyond razor thin margins....

Shortsighted companies chase margin over service and then are shocked Pikachu when people hate them...

#32 10 months ago

Isn't most of what Beltman does subbed out to a third party? I think they just act as a broker and bid the job, so the experience can be greatly varied depending on who the last mile is on either end (there could even be more than one shipper in play). Regardless, if they are the frontman for the transaction they should have been more helpful, especially if you paid the extra insurance for $10k of coverage.

On the flip side of the coin and to parrot others on here, there is no way I would have allowed pickup without being present or at least had someone competent at the house to triage it. If you were willing to spend the 'money is no object' price that you did back in '07, it's surprising you weren't more cautious.

#33 10 months ago
    Quoted from WalrusPin:

Isn't most of what Beltman does subbed out to a third party? I think they just act as a broker and bid the job, so the experience can be greatly varied depending on who the last mile is on either end (there could even be more than one shipper in play). Regardless, if they are the frontman for the transaction they should have been more helpful, especially if you paid the extra insurance for $10k of coverage.
    On the flip side of the coin and to parrot others on here, there is no way I would have allowed pickup without being present or at least had someone competent at the house to triage it. If you were willing to spend the 'money is no object' price that you did back in '07, it's surprising you weren't more cautious.

I'd like to counter everything you just said with this link to Beltmann's website:
    https://www.beltmannlogistics.com/solutions/coin-op-and-gaming/

It's bordering on victim shaming to infer that even though a company specifically advertises specialty handling for special fragile products, including pinball games specifically, that we shouldn't have trusted them.

It was referrals of individuals on here and that website specifically that helped me to decide to place my trust in them. I haven't been vocal about my experience, but I have been watching for threads like these just to see if it was only my experience. Unfortunately, that doesn't appear to be the case.

#34 10 months ago
    Quoted from pokerag2:

Could you not get reimbursed for your time in preparing all the documentation for the claim?

Generally no. Even in legal claims involving lawyers - you often do not get attorney's fees unless you actually incur them by paying an attorney. Even then to get them as part of your claim the contract you are fighting over needs to specifically permit them or you need to be entitled to them under the statute with respect to the type of claim you filed.

#35 10 months ago
    Quoted from GregCon:

I agree you should be able to hire a service and have it performed properly. But as I noted, this country is in crisis. Poor performance is becoming the norm. It's everywhere and it's not getting better.
    I don't mean to be a dick...but I will also point out that each year a staggering number of people suffer death and disfigurement as a result of medical malpractice. So even in your own industry, there is human failing.
    Shippers? My good friend has been a UPS driver 31 years. The stories he can tell...and guess what? The official UPS internal policy for ANY claim is to deny it. They will only begin reviewing a claim if it has been appealed. Think of all the old ladies who get told to piss off
    ...and do....just because they don't know any better.

So he should've just let it go with a slap in a wrist because the country is f'd up??? C'mon man that is no excuse. I'm glad the OP went after them. NAVL, Beltman et. al.you name it have been a joke for a while. I stopped using them after they fubared my buddy's Gauntlet cab - still don't believe he received any compensation for. Believe me I've shipped my fair share of games and all it takes is one time and you're out.

#36 10 months ago

This reminds me why I don't ship games, both as the buyer or seller. Thanks for the reminder and re-enforcing my stance on that.

#37 10 months ago
    Quoted from GregCon:

Unless you are a heart surgeon who was operating on a 6 year old that day...you shoulda missed work.

And as an employer , I take exception to this. What if he is needed at work? If you have personal/vacation days that are taken with approval, no problem. But to equate what would have been calling in sick for pinball? That's B.S.

Which then absolutely contributes to this:

Quoted from GregCon:

Gee, can't have it both ways

#38 10 months ago

In My area Theres a 5,000 dollar limit in Small Claims Court and Lawyers cant speak for You.Games are well over 10k in many cases.
    Then You may have to enforce the judgement .

#39 10 months ago

Somewhat non-sequitur but I remember back around 15 years ago I used to ship in video machines & pins from Pilot Air. I bought no less than 350-400 machines from around 1993-2009. Pilot air was dirt cheap on shipping, only caveat was that YOU have to pick up your shipment at an airport of your choice. Anyway, they had this gimmick where you could rent their shipping container. This thing was the most well-built cabinet I'd ever seen. Think of a refrigerator-sized box with a front & rear opening door. It had eyelets built into the bottom inside so your load would be completely secured. All of this was built onto a very stout pallet. This would fit ANY pin and 99% of videos. I remember you could also buy their used-up ones for around 75-100. Man I wish I did! not sure if they still offer this service-or if Pilot Air is even in business anymore for that matter.

#40 10 months ago

Jamesays, are you sure about that?

https://selfhelp.courts.ca.gov/small-claims

$5,000 if you are a business but $10,000 if you are an individual. If there is an unpaid judgment, there are many ways to enforce. If it is a business with assets, generally not an issue. The issue is if it is an individual without identifiable assets who does not have the integrity to pay. In that case, when you win, you still lose.

On the comment about taking off work, I can tell you this. Working and doing my job is how I am able to pay people to do their jobs. It is problematic when I take off without pay to be available all day at someone's convenience where they want me available all morning and afternoon only to be told on short notice to be available the next day. This is especially the case for me where if I were to take off the following day, the health of others would be adversely affected. I need to plan a day off well in advance.

As for this machine, I started this thread 2 years ago

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/navl-shipping-when-you-are-the-buyer-or-seller

I wanted to make sure I made the right decision legs on or off. In the end, I prepared it with legs off as the restoration expert Timme (amazing skills and pinball knowledge) had this preference. I communicated with Beltmann that the legs would be off and that there was no problem with that. I had clarity that they wanted to wrap it so they could do inventory. When they could not show up the day I made myself available, I confirmed there would be no problem the following day etc. I was given assurance, and had no prior shipping issues in the past.

What I was hoping would happen is for someone to post alternative shippers, even if for a certain region. That would not help me at this point, but perhaps it would help prevent others from using Beltmann believing there is no better option when shipping is desired.

#41 10 months ago
    Quoted from CubeSnake:

Somewhat non-sequitur but I remember back around 15 years ago I used to ship in video machines & pins from Pilot Air. I bought no less than 350-400 machines from around 1993-2009. Pilot air was dirt cheap on shipping, only caveat was that YOU have to pick up your shipment at an airport of your choice. Anyway, they had this gimmick where you could rent their shipping container. This thing was the most well-built cabinet I'd ever seen. Think of a refrigerator-sized box with a front & rear opening door. It had eyelets built into the bottom inside so your load would be completely secured. All of this was built onto a very stout pallet. This would fit ANY pin and 99% of videos. I remember you could also buy their used-up ones for around 75-100. Man I wish I did! not sure if they still offer this service-or if Pilot Air is even in business anymore for that matter.

I had a arcade game shipped from Florida to Chicago via Pilot Air in the mid '90s. I get to one of their terminals by O'Hare, go the counter to let her know I'm here to pick up the game. I kid you not, I get a response saying that they can't find it. How the hell do misplace something that big in your own terminal??? Thinking it was some days later, I get a call stating they found it and come pick it up. Get there and get the bill of laden... they actually tried to charge me storage rental fees for those days my game was there missing because of their stupidity. I laughed and told her I'm not paying that part of the bill. It was unbeknownst to her what the details were. I know she had to make some calls to management explaining my stance on the bill. Incredible. That was the last time I used Pilot Air.

#42 10 months ago

I'll just say this.

I feel your pain in having to deal with this but if it were my game, I'd have that glued up and looking like new in about 30 minutes.

If I were local to you, I'd stop over and take care of it for you.

Initially, I thought the game was trashed.

#43 10 months ago
    Quoted from Schusler:

I had a arcade game shipped from Florida to Chicago via Pilot Air in the mid '90s. I get to one of their terminals by O'Hare, go the counter to let her know I'm here to pick up the game. I kid you not, I get a response saying that they can't find it. How the hell do misplace something that big in your own terminal??? Thinking it was some days later, I get a call stating they found it and come pick it up. Get there and get the bill of laden... they actually tried to charge me storage rental fees for those days my game was there missing because of their stupidity. I laughed and told her I'm not paying that part of the bill. It was unbeknownst to her what the details were. I know she had to make some calls to management explaining my stance on the bill. Incredible. That was the last time I used Pilot Air.

Typical PilotAir antics....they were cheap, but as far as being organized-forget it!

#44 10 months ago

Nice gesture. Thank you. It was glued. For the crack along the side, the only way for that to be truly gone is strip and resurface the cabinet vs new cabinet, and re-paint and web. For most games, no big deal. This one was my HOU where I sold my player's Aquarius to get this and I paid a premium for having it in a condition where it was not cracked and glued etc. and I paid for insurance accordingly.

Things can get damaged, but the thing about this is how after blowing me off when I took the day off to be available at their convenience, they sent 1 guy no pallet or jack and had a caregiver do the job (for free) instead of having them bring the 2nd guy and moving equipment. Then, instead of saying sorry and making it up to me when the negligence was obvious, they did not even offer to give me the money to pay for the glue after making me fill out their claim forms and wait around 9 months. I did it their way only for them to lie and say it was pre-existing (not true in their testimony under oath) and lie by saying they had no responsibility only to show up to represent the sub they said should be the only defendant. etc.

I understand this can become a discussion never to ship or how to repair damage or what should be diminished value or if I should have continued to take off work etc. However, it is my hope that with 42 posts already, there will be a post on who would be better for shipping!!

It is my hope that by my taking the time to share my experience with the clarity of a verdict that was not challenged, others would beware and hopefully have an alternative.

#45 10 months ago

As I discovered recently, folks who move pinballs onesie twosie, not commercial companies but just a reliable guy helping load it in their vehicle and unload it at destination are few and far between, busy and seem to only cover regional areas. I have more time than many and I still can't justify the idea of 30 hours round trip to Eastern PA for one pin. I guess I may be in the minority, but another option or more people doing it onesie twosie would be great.

#46 10 months ago

It’s good you won.
    Insurance claims are usually pointless unless you have significant damage or loss.
    That stated what’s significant is going to vary quite a bit.
    Almost monthly I am asked to provide estimates for shipping damage.
    I don’t mind replying to an email with a paragraph or two what I think it would take or may cost but will do no more than that.
    Most insurance companies want itemized invoices on company letterhead they then set out to dissect that invoice ,drag their feet,ask for more information in an effort to wear out the claimant.
    Itemization of something like this is pretty much impossible.
    It can read something like
    1) Remove and Reinstall playfield $600
    2) remove all boards and wiring from cabinet $400
    3) sand fill and structurally repair cabinet shell $500
    Etc Etc

If I were actually doing this I would just say $2000 cabinet restoration.

They won’t accept that.

Every single time I have put the effort into meeting those terms the claimant has collected then not had the game fixed nor even offered me a single thing for my time or efforts so I refuse to do that anymore.
    This is precisely why anything shipped should not only be fully insured but also extremely well packed and labeled. Don’t trust the process!
    Nice games shouldn’t be shipped on the legs. The shipping company should not be trusted to pack it.
    Labeling and photos pre and post shipping are important.
    For example if labeled Do Not Forklift and then pierced with a forklift during transit you have a solid leg to stand on as long as you have photographic proof of the label in place at pick up.
    Inspect at arrival to make sure there is no damage. If so note it on the BOL and have the driver sign.
    If they will not let you inspect note that and have them sign that.
    The shipping companies are relying on your lack of education in shipping matters and lack of patience in the process to avoid paying claims.
    Your best defense is to do everything you can to avoid needing to make one.
    No matter what sometimes things happen but you can definitely minimize it and have a little more confidence if you know a bit more heading into it.
    Just a PSA on something I am well versed in.

#47 10 months ago

This sums my last one (pretty much why it was 'the LAST one');

Seller;
    - Reliable at conveying their wish to sell, receiving funds and providing access to their pin. Helpful when the buyer needs to scramble for information related to damage from shipping.
    - Not reliable in preparing their pin for shipment, nor managing the shipping of their pin with a carrier.

Logistic Manager;
    - Reliable at finding a transportation company to move the pin from point-to-point.
    - Not reliable at preparing a pin for shipment, nor providing solid instructions that may protect the pin during transportation. Even worse at holding the transportation company accountable when their instructions are not followed; simply expecting their customer to file a claim.

Transportation Company;
    - Reliable at loading/uploading whatever they have in their possession and maneuvering their vehicles to a destination.
    - Not reliable at preparing a pin for shipment, nor following the instructions provided on the Bill of Lading. Even worse at keeping multiple-pieces together and enacting simple common sense that would reduce the damage inflicted to inappropriately packaged items in their possession.

Customer;
    - Reliable at throwing money at a situation while expecting everyone else to handle that situation.
    - Not reliable in finding a Logistics, nor Transportation Company that moves pinball machines with the care needed to preserve our hobby.

When there's a next time and it's out of my reach; I may reach out to Brobra in the Forum or someone similar who's interested in the hobby and can respect our equipment.

#48 10 months ago

This is bonkers to me... What kind of a douche would have you go through all that trouble, knowing what your time is obviously worth based on your prices and work, and then not pay you for that time or give you a piece of their end? I'd tell people to pound sand or charge up front. F all that.

Quoted from High_End_Pins:

Every single time I have put the effort into meeting those terms the claimant has collected then not had the game fixed nor even offered me a single thing for my time or efforts so I refuse to do that anymore..

#49 10 months ago

Never let a shipper pack your pin what are you guys thinking? If you’re selling a pin to ship you should pack and pallet the pin yourself! This shipping with the legs attached BS or having them wrap and pack your game is an absolute joke. The only thing the shipper should be using is a pallet jack lol..

#50 10 months ago
    Quoted from jrcmlc:

This is bonkers to me... What kind of a douche would have you go through all that trouble, knowing what your time is obviously worth based on your prices and work, and then not pay you for that time or give you a piece of their end? I'd tell people to pound sand or charge up front. F all that.

Short answer, people suck. If i needed help from HEP on this the first paragraph of my email would be asking what I can pay Chris for his time to help. It’s just the kind and professional thing to do.

There are 66 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/beltmann-navl-shipping-damage-court-case-verdict-beware?hl=flipsteen and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.