Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 50 posts
  • 17 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by Pafasa
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“which do you prefer bells of chimes”

• im deaf and therfor have little preference 1 vote
      4%
    • bells 10 votes
      38%
    • chimes 15 votes
      58%
    • i only play games with callouts 0 votes

(26 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20130713_155011.jpg
    Pro_Pinball_chimes!.jpg
    #1 10 years ago

which do you prefer? why? and tell about any cool examples you really liked.

#2 10 years ago

I worked concert security for 13 years and cant hear worth a shit anymore.

That being said I really like bells over chimes. Most chimes are clunky whereas bells seem to ring true

--Jeff

#3 10 years ago

As Jeff said Bells to me ring true as well.

A Gottlieb with 3 bells is the best, followed by Williams 2 bells.

The more the merrier!

Ken

#4 10 years ago

Some late 60s/early 70s Williams games have both.
    Alex

#5 10 years ago

If pinball chime bars were made based on their acoustic quality then they could be really great.

Unfortunately they're just stock aluminum and sound terrible. Ring of the aluminum bars contain the elemental frequency but are tainted and full of off pitch under and overtones with persisting subsonic irritations. The bells don't contain as many off pitch and brain piercing attributes.

I'd love to get some quality brass bars actually tuned to the proper frequency. But that's some real $$ and not original.

#6 10 years ago

I have limited experience as I only have Stern Stars with chimes, but am I crazy to plan to upgrade the chimes to something better sounding? I was thinking bells, but could also probably build a better sounding chime set by adding in xylophone bars or something.

Even though I have limited experience, I can say for sure that I like having at least one game with chimes when compared to some of the electronic sounds of a few of my other games. It's a refreshing change.

Jim

#7 10 years ago

I added a chime unit to my MonsterBash earlier this year. I really like the sound of the chimes myself......

http://www.youtube.com/embed/hE0XmlXncYM?autoplay=1&rel=0

#8 10 years ago
    Quoted from AlexF:

Some late 60s/early 70s Williams games have both.
    Alex

interesting hows it sound to you?

Quoted from SteveFury:

If pinball chime bars were made based on their acoustic quality then they could be really great.
    Unfortunately they're just stock aluminum and sound terrible. Ring of the aluminum bars contain the elemental frequency but are tainted and full of off pitch under and overtones with persisting subsonic irritations. The bells don't contain as many off pitch and brain piercing attributes.
    I'd love to get some quality brass bars actually tuned to the proper frequency. But that's some real $$ and not original.

you cover the $$, & i will keep the secret its not org equ.

#9 10 years ago
    Quoted from Jetzxi:

I added a chime unit to my MonsterBash earlier this year. I really like the sound of the chimes myself......
    http://www.youtube.com/embed/hE0XmlXncYM?autoplay=1&rel=0

ya my ems have bells and i like them yes, but i picked up and eros one earily ss game and it has chimes and i must admit i like it too.

#10 10 years ago

on another form post someone did a retrofit of a gong into some unit- id like to hear that, though my wife might not?

#11 10 years ago
    Quoted from lladnip:

interesting hows it sound to you?

Not bad after adding some new rubber washers to the chime bar posts. I think that is probably true for most chime units. They can sound horrible if the old foam or rubber dampening is decayed or gone.

Most bells sound pretty nice. I do have a fixed mount on a bell in My Williams Jungle that is fairly annoying sounding. It has more of a loud clunk than a ding sound. I think if I drill out the original fixed mount and replace it with a bolt like most bell units it should sound better. It needs to give a little.

Chimes or bells can sound great but you often have to play around with them to get them to sound like they did when they were new.

Alex

#12 10 years ago
    Quoted from AlexF:

Not bad after adding some new rubber washers to the chime bar posts. I think that is probably true for most chime units. They can sound horrible if the old foam or rubber dampening is decayed or gone.
    Most bells sound pretty nice. I do have a fixed mount on a bell in My Williams Jungle that is fairly annoying sounding. It has more of a loud clunk than a ding sound. I think if I drill out the original fixed mount and replace it with a bolt like most bell units it should sound better. It needs to give a little.
    Chimes or bells can sound great but you often have to play around with them to get them to sound like they did when they were new.
    Alex

ya i think yout right on there being some flex allowed to good bell mounts, i picked up a box of a dozen bells someplace and found if you over tighten them it really dampens the ring and has a terrible ring quality- something eles i liked was to mount multi bells freq to ring off the same strike. gave a richer sound to me. but the misl box of bells only had 4 diff tone type.

#13 10 years ago

My Gottlieb chimes sound a bit better than my Williams but that isn't saying much. I've rebuilt them with new rubber parts and at one time experimented with adding different size pieces of felt under the bars to tame the subsonic overtones. They sounded a bit better but I ended up taking out the felt. What's worse than an aluminum bar chime? Maybe a 2" box end wrench dropped on concrete.

I like the idea of using xylophone bars. If I'm lucky then maybe I can come across a decent sounding one at a garage sale or flea market for cheap. I'd need to make some new mounts for the xylophone bars. I could keep the original parts for the pinball chimes and return it to stock if the experiment fails or decide to sell.

Hmm... Thanks for the ideas guys.

#14 10 years ago

I was also thinking about doing another experiment. That is to put a free-floating strip of leather just above the nylon hammers. I am wondering if the leather might tame down the clank-clank-clank of nylon striking aluminum.

#15 10 years ago

steve , i will keep my eyes/ ears out for an xylophone- tuning forks- or other noise makers as ive been watching for bells, i will pm you when i find something.

#17 10 years ago

Most of the chimes on my Bally and Williams EMs are OK, but kind of rattly. Whereas the chimes on my Gottlieb Solar City and especially Joker Poker are music to my ears. The bells on the early Ballys and Williams sound nice, but I still prefer Gott's chimes.

#18 10 years ago

I wish I had a way to record the sounds of the 2 bells in my old Williams Casanova from abt. 1967, the bell at the back of the cabinet floor must be set as close to being perfect as you can get, the bell sound resonates another 10 seconds or longer after the bell was energised. It really reminds me of a tuneing fork for this bell.
    I really do like that bell, no complaints at all.

#19 10 years ago

I remember my 1969 Gottlieb Target Pool had a big bell in the back, I guess it rang for the 1000's position. I remember it sounded very nice and you knew what it meant.

#20 10 years ago

Bells on EM are my pick!

#21 10 years ago
    Quoted from SteveFury:

I like the idea of using xylophone bars.

Pro_Pinball_chimes!.jpgPro_Pinball_chimes!.jpg

#22 10 years ago

For whom the bell tolls!

#23 10 years ago

Normally I just give straight answers, but for this my answer is "when both are used together." Example, 1973 Gottlieb Pro-Football.

#25 10 years ago

Time marches on. Casanova bells sound great

20130713_155011.jpg20130713_155011.jpg

#26 10 years ago

Bells or chimes, or bells and chimes, I still prefer either or both over the electronic noise that replaced them.

#27 10 years ago

1970 Gottlieb Baseball - chimes and also bell sounds when you hit home run. Great game and sounds. Shame about the artwork.

#28 10 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

Bells or chimes, or bells and chimes, I still prefer either or both over the electronic noise that replaced them.

im glad " electronic noise" was done, and im sure at the time the new factor was cool , but the feel sound qual the ring or chime is just so classic, a real peak in pinball. reminds me of art qual, there was just that era when it got real hot- then got kinda cheesy, not that it was real bad but just not top notch work anymore....

i also really like how it binds to the game play, a good game and you can hear it and feel it. a real turn off for me is some cont tune / song going on and on with no tie to game play what so ever.

Quoted from Shapeshifter:

1970 Gottlieb Baseball - chimes and also bell sounds when you hit home run. Great game and sounds. Shame about the artwork.

i need to find a dual sound (ring & chime) pin- has me curious dont even get me startted on knockers

#29 10 years ago

I have 2 gottlieb EM's and the chimes sound great.

3 Williams and 1 Bally and the chimes sound like crap.

I think part of the tone difference is the plastic box under the chimes that Williams and Bally use, makes them sound kind of hollow to me.

Gottlieb's have a similar attachment, but it is much smaller so the chimes sound crisper.

Bells are cool, and LOUD!

A combo of both would be killer.

#30 10 years ago
    Quoted from Prmailers:

I have 2 gottlieb EM's and the chimes sound great.

3 Williams and 1 Bally and the chimes sound like crap.

I think part of the tone difference is the plastic box under the chimes that Williams and Bally use, makes them sound kind of hollow to me.

This is what I have noticed, too. However, I worked on a Bally Hi-Lo Ace last night with a smaller plastic box and rubber washers, and it sounds better than it's big box counterparts, but still not as good as Gottlieb's.

#31 10 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

This is what I have noticed, too. However, I worked on a Bally Hi-Lo Ace last night with a smaller plastic box and rubber washers, and it sounds better than it's big box counterparts, but still not as good as Gottlieb's.

im not real sure how to quant and corrilate the whole box thing to chimes??? but i seen some real instruments use maple boxes when i was looking at them. i might read up on this, need to inform my self- in one ear and out the other pretty much.

#32 10 years ago
    Quoted from lladnip:

but i seen some real instruments use maple boxes when i was looking at them.

Also. bells and chimes are only as good as the cabinet they are installed in, and from what I've seen, Gottlieb is a much better constructed instrument.

#33 10 years ago

I prefer the sound of chimes. Even better is a combination. My gottlieb Golden Arrow has the three chimes and also a 6" bell/gong. I love what that adds to the sound of the game. I have had only one Bell only game and I had a hard time distinguishing between the bells. The difference is much more evident with chimes for me. It really tunes me in to how I'm scoring.

#34 10 years ago

I had a Williams Grand Prix that I added three bells to the chimes. Sounded great!

#35 10 years ago

Some bells can be a bit much. I have a few that I had to wedge some cloth behind to tone it down because it sounded like a fire bell. Both games only had one single bell. With that said, I prefer chimes. Nice, clean, rebuilt chimes sound like a xylophone. They can sound horrid if the spacers are all worn out like many WMS I come across.

#36 10 years ago

I'm rolling thunder pouring rain
    I'm coming on like a hurricane

#37 10 years ago

The bells apear to be rather heavy, the house cat runs when I fire my old Williams game up, my wife can hear the bells from down the road, what else could you ask for over 45 years ago in an working machine?

#38 10 years ago

Funny how so many people did nothing but complain about when companies integrated video into their pins, saying "it's not pinball." But there was no where near the hate when electronic sound was introduced, replacing "real" sound units.

#39 10 years ago
    Quoted from Rodney:

The bells apear to be rather heavy, the house cat runs when I fire my old Williams game up, my wife can hear the bells from down the road, what else could you ask for over 45 years ago in an working machine?

down the road, funny stuff- people must wonder whats that going on over there again?

#40 10 years ago
    Quoted from Danzig:

Funny how so many people did nothing but complain about when companies integrated video into their pins, saying "it's not pinball." But there was no where near the hate when electronic sound was introduced, replacing "real" sound units.

its interesting when pinball gets to the edge or a boundry and how there diffent grey areas for all of us-
    can do it a few times and get away with it just because it trendy new / the newest gimmick ect. after that- what was something just different is something just kinda of lame or a step back....

(another example great example for me is- ball shooter mechs) i like a nice well machined, alined, polished and waxed plunger rod with polished metal knob and fresh springs& tip. (just uzzies quality to me i love the feel- its pinball propper to me)
    the first to go to a gun handel and trigger, gear shift, push button or what ever was kinda cool, but just because it is new, i dont really enjoy them as much....... i know im crazy- but its actually to the point ive seen a few machines i kinda like but wont buy for the house, or if i did all i would ever think is about moding it tearing it out & replaceing with a traditional shooter every time i launched a new ball--- kinda weird i know.

#41 10 years ago
    Quoted from Danzig:

saying "it's not pinball." But there was no where near the hate when electronic sound was introduced, replacing "real" sound units.

This is exactly what I felt when I played my first SS game, as not only was the sound gone, but so was the feel, and I went on to ignore most 80s pins. I no longer enjoyed pinball as much, until the DMD games came out, when I finally felt that all the new gameplay features made up for what they had done.

#42 10 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

This is exactly what I felt when I played my first SS game, as not only was the sound gone, but so was the feel, and I went on to ignore most 80s pins. I no longer enjoyed pinball as much, until the DMD games came out, when I finally felt that all the new gameplay features made up for what they had done.

I guess I'm glad I didn't really grow up playing pinball. I see them all for what they are and have no prior experience to make comparisons with. I like all eras of pinball machines and love playing them all.

THat said, I really feel like I was born about 20 years too late. I would love to be a full time EM pinball tech!

#43 10 years ago
    Quoted from Pafasa:

I like all eras of pinball machines and love playing them all.

There were a few SSs that I really loved, like the Black Knight clan, but for most, the sound effects were pretty lame, and sometimes downright annoying.

#44 10 years ago
    Quoted from Pafasa:

I guess I'm glad I didn't really grow up playing pinball. I see them all for what they are and have no prior experience to make comparisons with. I like all eras of pinball machines and love playing them all.
    THat said, I really feel like I was born about 20 years too late. I would love to be a full time EM pinball tech!

ya i feel kinda bad for people born a little later than i- ya they have a nicer game councel,,, but they really never know the acrade atmospere of yester year. we had a nickle arcade local, was like 5$ to get in and nickle on every machine in the place-

#45 10 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

There were a few SSs that I really loved, like the Black Knight clan, but for most, the sound effects were pretty lame, and sometimes downright annoying.

funny how bad sound can ruin a pefectly good game, there are at least a dozen i like to have but the first thing id have to do is tear the speaker out and just listen coils knock the remainder of time i owned it.

#46 10 years ago
    Quoted from lladnip:

funny how bad sound can ruin a pefectly good game, there are at least a dozen i like to have but the first thing id have to do is tear the speaker out and just listen coils knock the remainder of time i owned it.

Laser Que comes to mind, fun pin very annoying sound

#47 10 years ago
    Quoted from lladnip:

Genie!!!!
    Cool game but the sound makes me want to kick puppies!!!

#48 10 years ago
    Quoted from Pafasa:

Genie!!!!

Hey, keep that low. I'm trying to sell one!

I thought about converting it to chimes, but I don't mind Genie's sound.

#49 10 years ago
    Quoted from Pafasa:

Genie!!!!

That's why I converted mine to chimes.

#50 10 years ago
    Quoted from Prmailers:

Hey, keep that low. I'm trying to sell one!
    I thought about converting it to chimes, but I don't mind Genie's sound.

Sorry.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bells-or-chimes and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.