Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 34 posts
  • 13 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by jodini
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

bell_(resized).png
    bell22_(resized).jpg
    IMG_2570_(resized).JPG
    IMG_2569_(resized).JPG
    IMG_2568_(resized).JPG
    image_01105_1_(resized).jpg
    #1 8 years ago

I need a 5" gong bell, just the bell. THX. John

#3 8 years ago

Game? And we do have a parts thread!

#5 8 years ago

Free pizza's for a bell?

#6 8 years ago

a complete 5" bell assembly can go for 40-60 dollars in the last few yrs

#7 8 years ago
    Quoted from pinhead52:

Game? And we do have a parts thread!

PINBALL...
    BACKGLASS...
    SPHAGNUM MOSS???

#8 8 years ago

10 pizza's

#9 8 years ago

Here ya go. Oh, gong bell. I thought you said bong hell.

image_01105_1_(resized).jpgimage_01105_1_(resized).jpg

#10 8 years ago

Wow! we're steppin it up this morning.
    all the way from bell, to buzz, in 9 posts. ROCK ON DUDES!!!

2 weeks later
    #11 8 years ago

Interesting.............Actually, I used a 3" bell I have in my stock. I made an assy. to accept the bell and converted the Bally sounder unit to the bell system. Bally Expressway

#12 8 years ago

Just worked on one of those last week. Yeah, 5" bells are hard to come by! Anymore that's the first thing I look for when I open up a game...does it have all the bells! PBResource doesn't sell them anymore.

EM-Pinman....have you tried any of those bells? They look quiet a bit different than what we normally use, unless the icon is just messed up....looks like one graphic of "bell" for all of them. Wouldn't mind finding a source for 5" bells....that's for sure!
    Joe

#13 8 years ago

I just ordered two of these: http://timesavers.com/i-14393708-5-polished-steel-bell.html

Figured at $17.50, it was worth a shot! I see too many woodrails not to have a backup plan...

#14 8 years ago
    Quoted from jodini:

I just ordered two of these: http://timesavers.com/i-14393708-5-polished-steel-bell.html
    Figured at $17.50, it was worth a shot! I see too many woodrails not to have a backup plan...

No I have bought any Joe but let us know what you think once you get them.

Ken

1 week later
    #15 8 years ago

I should of ordered one steel bell and one brass bell from Timesavers. Instead I ordered two steel bells and man...bummer! When I took them out of the package they were light as can be. The standard 5" bell in your Gottlieb weighs 13.4 oz. This one weighed only 6.2 oz. Looked the right size but very thin. Then I put the bell in a game and tested it out....could barely hear the thing.

I called up Timesavers in hopes to talk to someone about the brass bell and this gal was great. You can tell they deal with bigger orders and I was just a little fish to her, but she weighed it (11.6 oz) and even grabbed something to smack the bell. Of course I couldn't hear it very well because it wasn't mounted, but it sounded better than this steel bell. That bell should be coming in soon.

So is anybody else on this quest? It seems like this last year, I have bought up many games that are missing bells. Totally ticks me off!

GRRRRRRR!
    Joe

#16 8 years ago

Pic of the bell design

IMG_2568_(resized).JPGIMG_2568_(resized).JPG

IMG_2569_(resized).JPGIMG_2569_(resized).JPG

IMG_2570_(resized).JPGIMG_2570_(resized).JPG

#17 8 years ago
    Quoted from jodini:

just ordered two of these: http://timesavers.com/i-14393708-5-polished-steel-bell.html

So whats the verdict Joe?

Ken

#18 8 years ago
    Quoted from EM-PINMAN:

whats the verdict

bell22_(resized).jpgbell22_(resized).jpg

#19 8 years ago

Here's the verdict...

#20 8 years ago

Before giving up on it, I'd try a 4893, (pop bumper), coil in the unit. Maybe it'll raise the volume some. I like the pitch difference. I would keep it around and add it as a 100 point bell in games like Rack-a-Ball, Bowling Queen, etc, which strikes the stock 5" bell each time you collect a sequence rollover. Or, (after finding a stock bell), adding to it sound for each 10-step unit advance towards a touchdown. The center spinner shot would sound pretty cool.

#21 8 years ago

I hear ya Boatcat...when I tap it with metal, it sounds decent. I'll put it in some Bally game and keep the good ones for my Gottliebs!

#22 8 years ago

Did you mount it with a grommet in the hole? If not, it might improve the sustain a bit.

#23 8 years ago

bell_(resized).pngbell_(resized).png

#24 8 years ago
    Quoted from PapaJohn:

Pic of the bell design

IMG_2568_(resized).JPGIMG_2569_(resized).JPGIMG_2570_(resized).JPG

So does the bell sound in place of the knocker, or did you rewire it to sound with points scored?

#25 8 years ago

The bell goes off when the game score hits 30,000 and 68,000. It also sounds when specials are won. Its wired with the two wires that went to the sounder (knocker) unit. Its a 3" bell. Now, I do use a 5" gong bell that I bought from PBR a couple of years ago in my Spanish Eyes. Its mounted on the inside left side of the cabinet about 2/3 the distance back from the coin door. I made the mounting for it and used a knocker assy. from Pinball Life. It goes off when score levels are reached and extra balls are awarded. John

#26 8 years ago

Well, that was fun! I got the brass bell from Timesavers, which was thicker but far from the ring of the original. I've spent about $75.00 with shipping, and three bells....I tried!

#27 8 years ago

They don't call them timesavers fer nuthin!

#28 8 years ago

yea, I just sold my spare 5" bell. Best to scrounge the original when you can.

#29 8 years ago

The 5" bell I have in Spanish Eyes sounds so different that extra balls and score levels are obvious without having to look up at the back glass. John

#30 8 years ago
    Quoted from jodini:

Well, that was fun! I got the brass bell from Timesavers, which was thicker but far from the ring of the original. I've spent about $75.00 with shipping, and three bells....I tried!

It's too bad you aren't happy with the bells, but I think it's very cool that you took a chance and shared your results.

#31 8 years ago

Happy to do it. I did pick up one of these at a local antique store from the Automatic electric company:
    ebay.com link: Antique AUTOMATIC ELECTRIC COMPANY DUAL TELEPHONE BELL OLD Northlake Illinois

I paid $30.00 for the assembly and I got two 6 inch bells out of the deal. Now I wouldn't put a 6 inch bell in a classic game but I thought it would be fun to put it in my Pro-Football and holy cow! The casters on that right leg was vibrating from the "clang"! PERFECT! It's crazy loud and I love it!

I really think we are better finding used items that used bells like this in order to find good 5" bells. School bells, bells used in fighting matches, fire alarms....whatever we can find! At least you get that old school sound. I really wish Steve Young or someone would just get someone to manufacture some of these. I bet you could sell them for $40 to $50.00 easily!

#34 8 years ago

That Williams one I think is a 4 inch bell.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bell and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.