Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 74 posts
  • 42 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by AkumaZeto
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“What is "fair" as far as fixing issues on machines sold after 30 days”

• I always try to take care of my customers regardless of how long it has been since I sold a machine. 6 votes
      5%
    • I do what I can for customers even though machines were sold "as is" 51 votes
      40%
    • I look at it on a case by case bases but normally "as-is" is just that and it isn't my problem. 55 votes
      43%
    • I sold as-is so it just isn't my problem! Once I have the cash I am done with it! 15 votes
      12%

(127 votes)

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider phishrace.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#7 10 years ago

I think you need to better prepare your customers. If I sold any system 7 with original boards, I would make it crystal clear to the buyer that it will need service in the near future. If the customer wasn't technical at all (and never owned a game), I would discourage them from buying a 30 year old game. If they were somewhat technical, I would make the sale and give them plenty of resources to make repairs themselves. Links to the wiki, here, RGP, parts suppliers, things like that. You don't need to put it in writing, but you do need to know the technical ability of the potential buyer if you're selling games that old. Can they use a DMM? Can they solder? If not, tell them to buy something newer.

Make sure that any noob customer completely understands that even a brand new pin can be high maintenance. Let alone a 30 year old game. Unless your markup is 2x, any 30 year old game should have a taillight warranty.

#11 10 years ago
    Quoted from too-many-pins:

NONE of these customers asked me to do anything for them for free.

Did they call you first when the game went down? Before attempting any diagnosis or repair? If the answer to any of them is yes, I would suggest improving your final sale talk.

Sounds like at least part of it is you being too kind. Perhaps a 30 day warranty, with the selling price adjusted accordingly, would work better for you (and your customers). You could also offer warranties (1 month, 6 month) at an added cost.

#14 10 years ago
    Quoted from too-many-pins:

It has been a great hobby for the past 4 years but beyond our own personal machines it is time to move on.

Not a problem at all. You don't even need to own a game to enjoy this hobby. All it takes is a quarter or two. You're still very much in the hobby.

You don't list your location, but have you considered operating games? Operating older games is gonna be tough, but if you enjoy the tinkering, you might want to consider it. Location play is starting to pick up in many areas. It's the absolute best way you can contribute to the hobby. You won't get rich doing this either, but it pays off in other ways.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider phishrace.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/being-fair-with-a-buyer-that-has-an-issue-with-machine-you-sold?tu=phishrace and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.