(Topic ID: 167796)

Beginning PCB Repair - Where to buy parts?

By wizard_mode

7 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider wizard_mode.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 7 years ago

I am starting to enjoy circuit board repair! I know where to buy chips, sockets, transistors, diodes, capacitors, etc, etc. But, where can I buy PCB pad repair parts? I am fixing a battery corrosion issue now and a few pads fell off when popping off the old socket. I read up on solder stitching, but that will not help on one of the areas since the solder side of the board where the pad broke off does not have a trace to solder the stitch to. Is there a place to get replacement pads and the tool to press it on? Or should I just superglue to old one back on after I clean it and use that as the structure to do a stitch?
    Thanks,
    Tim

#4 7 years ago
    Quoted from Keetur:

I looked into this briefly. The kits are exceptionally expensive. Don't be shocked what you get for the money you spend.

Thx do you mind sending me a link to one of the kits you found?

Quoted from Hougie:

You can use a piece of wire and create a jumper between the two points. Four or five years ago I smoked a transistor pad on a Stern Whitestar board and had your exact same problem. It has never given me an issue since I correctly repaired it.

Problem is that one of the "points" is the solder side of the PCB. So, I have nothing to jumper from. But, if I superglue the old lifted pad back onto the board then this will work I think. Does superglue hold up ok under solder temps?

Thanks guys for the responses!

#6 7 years ago

The topside is the other side of the pad that the socket contacts. The socket side has the pad with the trace on it. The solder side (back) of the PCB where I would solder the socket to is where the pad broke off. There is no trace on the solder side though...

#8 7 years ago

Well, its a plastic socket so kind of tough to do! =)
    Later tonight I will attempt to repair it and send pics.

2 weeks later
    #14 7 years ago

Thx for the links! I ended up fixing the board by gluing on the pads that lifted and creating solder stitches. Rebuilt my mpu2 by cleaning up the battery acid, replacing the battery with a Mem cap, replacing the damaged EPROM socket, converting the board to run on 2716 EPROM format, replacing all 14 radial caps with axial ceramics, and replacing the 3 tantalum caps. The hardest part was finding a hair sized intermittent solder bridge that was shorting 2 pads on the EPROM socket I replaced. That took me about 2 weeks. Works like a champ now and I learned a ton! On to the next one!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider wizard_mode.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/beginning-pcb-repair-where-to-buy-parts?tu=wizard_mode and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.