• Latest reply 8 years ago by chuckwurt
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Pinball_Pinball_Pinball.jpg
#1 8 years ago

I am a newer pinballer and I am looking to get people more involved in my area. There are not a lot of places that have more than one machine in town so I am thinking of hosting a tournament on one machine at a local bar to get things rolling. I am by no means an expert and I don't think there will be any there but just trying to show people how fun pinball is.

What I am wondering is some different tournament styles I could use to keep everyone involved that would participate but also not keep everyone there all night. There could be as few as 8 people there but also want to be prepared for as many as 20. The options I am familiar with are best of 7 and best of 3 bracket style but if anyone has any good 4 person game options or anything unique let me know what they are.

I appreciate any advice given and good balls to you all.

#2 8 years ago

You can have a few machines, randomly assigned groups of 4 play each machine. Then award points on finish places;
1-7, 2-5, 3-3, 4-1.
If you wait till all games are done, then random draw for each machine and everyone is a beginner, then it's pretty even and pretty quick I would guess. If you wanted to have the top 4 overall then go play a game for overall winner or whatever you could for a tournament style

#3 8 years ago

Hey Mark! Glad you are doing this to spread pinball awareness in Lexington.

Quoted from TheLaw:

You can have a few machines, randomly assigned groups of 4 play each machine. Then award points on finish places;
1-7, 2-5, 3-3, 4-1.

The place he wants to have the tournament only has one game DM. I have heard that you can have IFPA tournaments with only one game. I think he was looking to start with a non-ranked one, see how it goes, then maybe have ranked tournaments in the future.

#4 8 years ago

Whereabouts are you located?

Hosting a tournament on one machine is going to be tough, also getting people in the area to know about it and show up can be tough.

There are some good and pretty standard formats described here:

http://www.ifpapinball.com/tgpguide2016

Also, be aware that if you want to list your event with the IFPA, you have to do it at least a month in advance of the event. It's definitely not required to run an event, but it's an easy way to advertise in your area and get people engaged with points and rankings.

#5 8 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

The place he wants to have the tournament only has one game DM.

Oh duh right in the 2nd sentence; sorry Realchez

#6 8 years ago

I am not trying to have any kind of official ranked tournament just something to get some people to play pinball. Finding and getting people to participate shouldn't be a big problem I am a member and help on several social groups in Lexington. I will also post on pinside once I determine what exactly I will be doing.

I like the idea of 4 man games with points awarded respectively to what place you get. Maybe giving 1-4 2-3 3-2 4-1 just to keep things closer and more exciting. The issue that would arise is if there are a number of people that are there

#7 8 years ago
Quoted from Realchez:

Maybe giving 1-4 2-3 3-2 4-1 just to keep things closer and more exciting.

I think the odd numbers 7-5-3-1 give a better range of scores...4-3-2-1 might end up having like an 8 way tie with people

#8 8 years ago

Yeah that's a good point

#9 8 years ago

4-2-1-0. Tried and true. Being able to come back and tie for a playoff is exciting. Going into game 3 knowing you have no chance isn't.

#10 8 years ago
Quoted from Realchez:

I am a newer pinballer and I am looking to get people more involved in my area. There are not a lot of places that have more than one machine in town so I am thinking of hosting a tournament on one machine at a local bar to get things rolling. I am by no means an expert and I don't think there will be any there but just trying to show people how fun pinball is.
What I am wondering is some different tournament styles I could use to keep everyone involved that would participate but also not keep everyone there all night. There could be as few as 8 people there but also want to be prepared for as many as 20.

This was my same situation last year. I expected the same amount of people, and I have gotten anywhere from 9-21 people at my monthly's every time. First couple tournaments had 1 machine, then bar owner and operator got together and put in a 2nd one. Has REALLY helped.
I have always (with 1 machine or 2) either done a top score format (best 1, 2 or 3 games on each machine) with no finals, or the same format, but with a top 3 or 4 players finals. This way, people can come and go as they please, and dont have to all show up at the same time, just to sit around and wait for a machine to open up. Also, they can play 15 games to try and qualify, or play the minimum and drink or leave or hang out or whatever
The last tournaments format is listed here https://www.facebook.com/events/173230576342366/

For what its worth, after a year of top score tourneys, I am trying the new Pinball! Pinball! Pinball method in a couple of weeks. Similar to match-play, but people can show up late, leave early, ect and it wont effect any bracket or player order, just their own chances to place high. Here is a cheap and easy explanation i found on facebook

Pinball_Pinball_Pinball.jpgPinball_Pinball_Pinball.jpg

#11 8 years ago

For the pinball pinball pinball format, I ran it once with 5 machines and 12 players...so the queue was only two deep. Having 3 or 4 in the queue would have been better. Also, taping numbers on the floor to mark the queue would have been helpful. Also, people thought 2 hours was too long.

#12 8 years ago
Quoted from ryanwanger:

Also, people thought 2 hours was too long.

Yeah people have to catch the bug first before they want to play more that an hour or so.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Oakland, ME
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
Lenticular Designs

$ 65.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 18.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 85.00
3,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Los Angeles, CA
$ 39.99
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 81.95
950 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Baldwinsville, NY
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Boards
KAHR.US Circuits

$ 45.00
Lighting - Interactive
86Pixels

$ 72.95
$ 35.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 10.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 40.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.