• 9 posts
  • 5 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by Pinasco
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

#1 7 years ago

Hi !
I´m about to go and pick up a Sys 11-Williams Game that I bought recently- a 1987 Big Guns.

Now, I'm currently studying the operators manual that I've downloaded and also scrolling through tech-tips here and on other forums on that particular model.

Are there any special warnings to be considered, that are not obvious to the beginner, things to avoid around that certain pin when firing it up for the first time ?
It is supposed to be in working condition.
Is there anything that I should order now that usually is going to need changing right from the start- apart from rubbers and balls ?

Thanks for any help !!

P

#2 7 years ago

Check all your fuses to make sure they are the correct amperage and type (regular vs slo-blo). Replace the batteries on the MPU and check for corrosion, better yet move them off the board entirely with a remote battery unit or NVRAM.

#3 7 years ago

Hello,

I think the best course of action is to get as familair with the game as possible before you pick it up. Then when you do go to acquire the game, take the glass off and start a game. I like to manually check all the switches etc to make sure that those are working correctly simply by rolling the ball manually through those targets. Does it score properly? If so then I would proceed to buy.

Keep in mind that the system 11 games are very fun generally speaking but will need to have some updating to keep them going for a long time. A good example would be to remove the power supply board and reaplce the capacitors on that board. The electrolytics is what i am referring to. Very inexpensive to do and Great Plains Electronics will have all you need. I just did this on a system 11 shuffle alley i recetly acquired. Easy enough to do yourself provided you have some decent soldering skills.

As long as the game is in reasonably good shape, you should be in good to go.

Thats my .02 worth.

G

#4 7 years ago

Hi guys ! Thanks a lot. I will look up those things immediately and start ordering some parts. Those batteries are going to be placed in an external holder ASAP !!! I really appreciate your help.

Take care !!!

@jibmums. I love that avatar - just can´t figure out the name of that particular figure.

#5 7 years ago
Quoted from Pinasco:

@jibmums. I love that avatar - just can´t figure out the name of that particular figure.

Baron Karza!

#6 7 years ago

Thank You ! An awesome toy. If I remember it right, his fists could be spring fired with a button. / P

#7 7 years ago

Fantastic first game!! Very under appreciated sys 11 game. Good luck!

#8 7 years ago

You cannot go wrong with any system 11. They are my absolute favorite series of games. Great bang for the buck and original themes. Always inspect the interconnect board on system 11. I have never owned one that didn't need at least the GI connectors replaced. Most needed jumpers on that board to repair lifted traces. The interconnect boards are readily available in the US anyway. I do not know about over seas. I always repair them but if bad at least a new one can be purchased

#9 7 years ago

Thanks a lot guys, that sounds like a good start - and I really appreciate
the tech-hints, I will check the boards carefully.

Yes - I really fell for the unique look of BG- and I think the soundeffects are very good and entertaining- compared to a lot of other games from the mid- or late eighties. From what I understand some people dislike the absence of pop bumpers and ramps on BG. Even so, I think those cannons and habitrails sure look cool.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Machine - For Sale
Davenport, FL
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 115.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 2.50
Lighting - Led
Pinballrom

$ 27.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 170.00
Displays
Digipinball Shop

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

2,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Franklin, VA
$ 22.50
$ 15.00
Playfield - Plastics
UpKick Pinball

1,800 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Newburgh, NY
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/beginner-starting-a-sys11-for-the-first-timebig-guns and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.