Topic Stats

• 8 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by ezatnova
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

#1 3 years ago

I was trying to test resistance on the coils of my System 80B Raven last night, and no matter whether I did it with the machine on or off, I got the same results. What I saw was that sometimes (~25% of the time), the DMM (auto ranging) would correctly show ~9.4 ohms resistance. However, about 75% of the time, the numbers on the DMM would fly all over the place like crazy, from 0 to K ohms to M ohms, and sometimes it would eventually settle at the real ~9.4 ohms, but sometimes not. I first figured it was because I had the machine on, so I turned it off, but got the exact same results. Any reason this was happening? Again, it occurred with all of the coils, and they operate fine, so I don't think it is because they are faulty.

Thanks

#2 3 years ago

The resistance readings for coils are only valid with the power off. The only thing you really should be checking on the coils with the power on is voltage.

#3 3 years ago

You measure resistance with power off. Second, it sounds like you are reading other things along with the coil resistance. The coil need to be isolated, which usually means lifting off one side of any diodes and capacitors that are across the coil tabs, and sometimes one of the wires to the coil.

#4 3 years ago
Quoted from Billc479:

You measure resistance with power off. Second, it sounds like you are reading other things along with the coil resistance. The coil need to be isolated, which usually means lifting off one side of any diodes and capacitors that are across the coil tabs, and sometimes one of the wires to the coil.

Ah ok, thanks. It seemed odd to me how I was really only reading the coil itself, given that it's connected to everything else in one way or another. Ouch, seems like a lot more difficult to simply measure coil resistance than I hoped since it involves unsoldering 34 year old bits!

#5 3 years ago

Is there a reason why you were trying to test the coil resistance? Normally I don't need to do that unless I suspect a problem with the coil, or if I'm trying to identify a coil with an unreadable/missing wrapper.

#6 3 years ago

A common reason for getting inconsistent readings on coils is because the test lead is not making a good connection to the lugs on the coil. That game is 34 years old. Excellent chance the coil connections aren't shiny any more.

Find the cleanest looking spot on each lug to touch with your test lead, then scrape lightly a little with the tip of your test lead, if needed.

#7 3 years ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

Is there a reason why you were trying to test the coil resistance? Normally I don't need to do that unless I suspect a problem with the coil, or if I'm trying to identify a coil with an unreadable/missing wrapper.

My rear sniper mechanism wasn’t operating properly and the piston would stop halfway into the coil instead of releasing all the way down into it. End result was the sniper could not drop when hit. Was troubleshooting bad resistance first, and then took the sleeve out and cleaned it after the resistance tested ok. After cleaning it works great. New sleeves on the way now, just to be sure.

#8 3 years ago
Quoted from phishrace:

A common reason for getting inconsistent readings on coils is because the test lead is not making a good connection to the lugs on the coil. That game is 34 years old. Excellent chance the coil connections aren't shiny any more.
Find the cleanest looking spot on each lug to touch with your test lead, then scrape lightly a little with the tip of your test lead, if needed.

This is probably quite true. Explains why every once in a while it showed the correct normal 9 ohm resistance when other times it showed ludicrously huge numbers. Dang, I used to have a fiberglass pen somewhere for fixing car paint chips. Don’t think I have it anymore though.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Smithfield, RI
$ 83.00
Electronics
PinballReplacementParts

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/beginner-question-on-testing-resistance-on-coils-system-80b and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.